A&M Dorm 77" Twin-Size Mattress

10,849 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bmc13
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for some advice on purchases that need to be made for the A&M dorms for my incoming freshman. The mattress that A&M uses in many dorm rooms are apparently not a standard length. They are longer than a regular twin but shorter than a twin XL.

Quote:

All twin-size mattresses are 36 x 77. Note: Please be aware that traditional twin mattresses are 75, Texas A&M University's mattresses are 77. Note: These 77 long mattresses are not considered Twin XL. Twin XL mattresses are 80 long.

What combination of twin and twin xl products did you find that worked best for mattress pad, mattress topper, sheets, and comforter?
GrayMatter
AG
how is this any of your problem? Let your kid figure it out.
redd38
AG
Just have him stay at his girlfriend's place every night then he doesn't even need all that crap in his dorm.
Goose
AG
Gap said:

They are longer than a regular twin but shorter than a twin XL.
User name checks out.
champagnepapi
Oh, the Corps of Cadets and upperclassmen take care of all that.

No need to worry. They will have all his sheets in his room ready to go!
Bondag
AG
Just buy (2) twin extra long and make the bed with hospital corners.

Use ironing board cover fasteners to hold corners in place.
BenFiasco14
AG
Gap said:

I'm looking for some advice on purchases that need to be made for the A&M dorms for my incoming freshman. The mattress that A&M uses in many dorm rooms are apparently not a standard length. They are longer than a regular twin but shorter than a twin XL.

Quote:

All twin-size mattresses are 36 x 77. Note: Please be aware that traditional twin mattresses are 75, Texas A&M University's mattresses are 77. Note: These 77 long mattresses are not considered Twin XL. Twin XL mattresses are 80 long.

What combination of twin and twin xl products did you find that worked best for mattress pad, mattress topper, sheets, and comforter?
Corps?

If not, then send your kid with y'alls best guesses then tell him there's a target on texas ave.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Wildman15
AG
Fun fact: the mattresses in A&M's dorms (or at least the Corps mattresses) were made by Texas inmates
Tatem
Target has twin xl sheets
88planoAg
AG
Info via new student conference is that even the extra extra long mattress will work with twin sheets as long as they are deep sheets. Not to be confused with dip sheets.....

I think that info is also on the dorm page.
champagnepapi
This thread has been far too helpful and boring
cisgenderedAggie
She doesn't need sheets in her own room. She'll be too busy ****ing all the other guys on campus's
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
we bought t-shirt knit sheets in twin size and they worked well. Got a full size comforter for extra width to tuck under mattress on wall side of bed. Twin works because the mattresses aren't super thick.
Zemira
AG
Just buy deep fitted twin sheets, not that hard.

Unless they majorly improved mattresses in the 15 years since I was in a dorm they aren't super thick. If you get deep sheets the few extra inches you need will be there.

Alternative is just to use flat sheets and hospital corners.

Your freshman is close to adulthood let them adult. I chose everything myself for my dorm room, and my parents just made sure I wasn't buying crap I didn't need or spending too much money.
HollywoodBQ
AG
My daughter Class of '17 was in Rudder Hall her freshman year.
From memory, we hit up the College Station Target. I think we also went to the Bed Bath and Beyond or whatever it is by Double Dave's.

At that point, I was just a walking wallet. She did all the figuring out what she needed.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
It's two inches... Normal twin sized stuff works fine
Tree Hugger
AG
As a person that is 79" tall, I feel discriminated by the 77" mattress.

Freaking heightists.
Liquid Wrench
Tree Hugger said:

As a person that is 79" tall, I feel discriminated by the 77" mattress.

Freaking heightists.
At a mere 6'4", I think my ****ty rubber mattress in the dorm was the first twin mattress I ever slept on that was just right for me.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Just do what my father did for me as I was packing up my car to start my freshman year at A&M:

Give a good, firm handshake and tell them "see you in four years."
Dark Helmet
I'm a tall guy, so the dorm "mattresses" weren't long enough for me. My feet would hang off the end, which sucked because the "beds" were these strange rectangles and my Achilles' tendons would get scraped up as I shifted in my sleep. God help me if my girlfriend came to visit when I was in the dorm.

My advice for optimum dorm sleeping and premarital sex is to put the mattress thing on the floor and sleep on it there. Just get some sort of cheap quilt and use that as a mattress cover. The roommate might get annoyed that they're taking up some of the ground space, but who gives a damn? Your kid is the one who has to sleep on the floor with the roaches. The Mexican fighting roaches. I hope for your kid's sake that A&M has managed to drive them off by now.
bmc13
AG
get a foam topper and deep sheets. it will be much better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.