Why Is Brooklyn Barbecue Taking Over the World?

20,154 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Anchorhold
80s Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MD1993 said:

Actually chicken is, then pork.

IB4hetellsyouchickenisnotactuallybbq
wbt5845
AG
Smoking chicken is dead easy and tastes wonderful - best way to cook chicken imho.

And frankly, I've gotten to where I don't order brisket at BBQ joints anymore because it pales to my own. It's rare to get good juicy brisket, even at the highest end bbq joints.
WC87
AG
ac04 said:

LOL
Sweet Clementine
AG
I've been told that the Hill Country BBQ place in NYC is pretty good, and they do have Blue Bell, but they have those little tiny cups like you got as a kid with the little wooden spoon and they cost like $7 a piece.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Sweet Clementine said:

I've been told that the Hill Country BBQ place in NYC is pretty good, and they do have Blue Bell, but they have those little tiny cups like you got as a kid with the little wooden spoon and they cost like $7 a piece.

That's cheap for ice cream in NYC.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Saxsoon said:

Thank god for jacks bbq up here in Seattle or I would have gone mad without good bbq and the owner is an Aggie who trained at the A&M bbq boot camp haha

haha
SACR
AG
BostonAg74 said:

There was a cool little barbecue place on Martha's Vineyard that we used to go to every year until it closed a couple of years ago after the owner died. According to the owner, it was "North Carolina barbecue" so it was not the best barbecue in the world, but not bad by New England standards. Mostly though, they understood what a barbecue place should look like: a bucket on the table to throw the bones in, big sloppy portions piled on the plate, a smart ass middle aged waitress, and white trash decor everywhere you looked. So the new owner comes in from New York and completely remodels the place into the most sterile, lifeless barbecue place I'd ever seen. The staff was composed almost entirely of very clean cut Russian kids, who dutifully followed the directions of the owner, including not offering utensils unless they are asked for, and carefully weighing every portion of meat in each serving. I wondered where the hell these idiots got the idea that this was the way to run a barbecue place until I saw this article.

We were halfway through our meal during the only time we will ever eat at this place when the manager came to the table and asked how we liked it. My Asperger's no filter daughter blurted out, "This place is awful!", which was not the answer the manager was looking for. Then she asked us what they could do to improve the place, and I tried to keep it light, but constructive by saying, "This place needs a little personality, like it had before. It's too sterile for a barbecue place." What I should have said was "Get on a plane and fly down to just about any town in Texas. Walk into the first barbecue place you can find that looks like it is the least likely to have passed its latest health inspection, and grab a tray and get in line. When you get to the fat guy in the dirty T shirt who is portioning out the barbecue, loudly insulting every customer as he does it, offer that guy whatever it will take to get him on a plane and bring him to Martha's Vineyard. And don't let him bathe or change clothes first. Throw away that scale and then put him to work. Your food will not be any better, but people will think it is because the place will have a little character. A barbecue place in New England or New York is like the ugly girl at the prom, there's nothing that is gonna make her less ugly, but if she has a great personality, people might overlook that. And there's nothing that's going to make food here more appealing if you don't understand what they appeal of barbecue is in the first place. So just make it fun. Because that is pretty much the best you can hope for when you're trying to sell barbecue on Martha's Vineyard."

You already know this, but your daughter is AWESOME!!! You did an amazing job as a father.

TTT for BA74's daughter.
aeon-ag
dcaggie04 said:

MooreTrucker said:

No sauce, no beans, no potato salad. GTFO.
If you have to put bbq sauce on the meat to enjoy it, that means the meat sucks.
Exactly!!!, Every joint in Bryan or College Station needs sause!!!!
BostonAg74
SACR said:

BostonAg74 said:

There was a cool little barbecue place on Martha's Vineyard that we used to go to every year until it closed a couple of years ago after the owner died. According to the owner, it was "North Carolina barbecue" so it was not the best barbecue in the world, but not bad by New England standards. Mostly though, they understood what a barbecue place should look like: a bucket on the table to throw the bones in, big sloppy portions piled on the plate, a smart ass middle aged waitress, and white trash decor everywhere you looked. So the new owner comes in from New York and completely remodels the place into the most sterile, lifeless barbecue place I'd ever seen. The staff was composed almost entirely of very clean cut Russian kids, who dutifully followed the directions of the owner, including not offering utensils unless they are asked for, and carefully weighing every portion of meat in each serving. I wondered where the hell these idiots got the idea that this was the way to run a barbecue place until I saw this article.

We were halfway through our meal during the only time we will ever eat at this place when the manager came to the table and asked how we liked it. My Asperger's no filter daughter blurted out, "This place is awful!", which was not the answer the manager was looking for. Then she asked us what they could do to improve the place, and I tried to keep it light, but constructive by saying, "This place needs a little personality, like it had before. It's too sterile for a barbecue place." What I should have said was "Get on a plane and fly down to just about any town in Texas. Walk into the first barbecue place you can find that looks like it is the least likely to have passed its latest health inspection, and grab a tray and get in line. When you get to the fat guy in the dirty T shirt who is portioning out the barbecue, loudly insulting every customer as he does it, offer that guy whatever it will take to get him on a plane and bring him to Martha's Vineyard. And don't let him bathe or change clothes first. Throw away that scale and then put him to work. Your food will not be any better, but people will think it is because the place will have a little character. A barbecue place in New England or New York is like the ugly girl at the prom, there's nothing that is gonna make her less ugly, but if she has a great personality, people might overlook that. And there's nothing that's going to make food here more appealing if you don't understand what they appeal of barbecue is in the first place. So just make it fun. Because that is pretty much the best you can hope for when you're trying to sell barbecue on Martha's Vineyard."

You already know this, but your daughter is AWESOME!!! You did an amazing job as a father.

TTT for BA74's daughter.
Thanks!. She just turned thirty and she and her boyfriend (also Aspergers) have carved out a pretty nice life for themselves. She's turned into a pretty damn good writer and is currently working on developing a podcast. And she's still a great advocate when we take her to restaurants (When she was four, she approached a waiter who was standing outside on a smoke break, and said , "You're gonna die, you know.")
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
This is what real Texas BBQ should look like.

Swarely
In Brooklyn now. Should I go and report back?
80s Guy
Swarely said:

In Brooklyn now. Should I go and report back?

Double dog dare ya!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Bring your appetite!

You'll be leaving with it.
RAB87
AG
Everything about NY sucks.
aeon-ag
Swarely said:

Quote:

"Brooklyn BBQ is more stylish, more loose," he said. "It lets you break from traditional Texas or Kansas City BBQ. It's more of a blend of every style, which lets you play around with every recipe rather than following a straight-up traditional recipe."

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/d75jza/why-is-brooklyn-barbecue-taking-over-the-world?utm_source=munchiestwitterus

That is the saddest bbq plate I have ever seen.
Because they've never had real BBQ, TEXAS BBQ!!
aeon-ag
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment said:

NO!!!! No pickles, onions, BBQ sauce or bread!!!
Gilligan
AG
Beer Baron said:

Swarely said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Where's scimitar to tell us how good this place really is and how we only hate it because we are poor and stupid?

I'm waiting for Fido to come tell me what to think.
I only use meat from a muscle found in only 6% of all cows, soak it for 30 days in Norwegian truffle oil, then rub it with a proprietary blend of spices I had-gathered from the Andes. Finally I slow-roast it at body temperature for 8 months.

Sounds like a recipe for fromunda cheese!
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Looks like roast
TheMasterplan

I love BBQ but there's no way I'm touching the coleslaw or beans after eating that meat.

Green beans are the best sides. If any BBQ places start making coleslaw without mayo, I'd eat that too.
wbt5845
AG
TheMasterplan said:

I love BBQ but there's no way I'm touching the coleslaw or beans after eating that meat.

Green beans are the best sides. If any BBQ places start making coleslaw without mayo, I'd eat that too.

So the weirdo vegetarian I am can really have a great meal at a BBQ joint. And there are some places that do vinegar based Cole slaw that are awesome.
Anchorhold
A superior Brooklyn

ForgotAboutCopyrightPolicy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.