Music Board: Classic rock recommendations (rule followed)

7,617 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Thomas Sowell, PhD
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei

What in the hell?
Talon2DSO
AG
Here's what I've been making for my daughter. Need 3 more to complete top 100.

https://open.spotify.com/user/talon2dsp/playlist/09O9FnfFVvnHKKQXavQFOT
Win At Life
AG
Talon2DSO said:

You have more than a feeling at both 6 and 21, it's a good song but don't know if I would have it on there twice
Synopsis
AliasMan02 said:

Wade Winston Wilson said:

How old will define "classic" because I've heard songs from the 90s on "classic" stations
1970s is what I'm really after.

Some ideas for the mainstream stuff:

Styx - Renegade
REO Speedwagon - Keep on Loving You
Journey - Don't Stop Believin (duh, greatest ever)
Foreigner - Juke Box Hero
Lynard Skynard - Ballad of Curtis Lowe
America - Ventura Highway
Asia - Heat of the Moment
Heart - Barracuda (I love this one but not sure it fits)
Kansas - Carry on my Wayward Son
Marshall Tucker Band - Can't You See
If you're into some slight alternatives to the standard "classic" rock, I would check out The Cars, especially those songs where Benjamin Orr is the lead singer, like "Bye Bye Love" and so on.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
B-1 83
AG
The Who - We won't get fooled again or I can see for miles and miles
CCR - Bad Moon or Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Talon2DSO
AG
Win At Life said:

Talon2DSO said:

You have more than a feeling at both 6 and 21, it's a good song but don't know if I would have it on there twice

Good catch, I'll clean it up
Synopsis
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei

What in the hell?
My list was organized as single-letter alphabetical representation and I couldn't think of anything for "O", so I threw in the source music for the Numa Numa guy from the infancy of YouTube. I didn't expect anyone to look up any of the junk they were unfamiliar with.
Numa Numa? I thought the thread was about "Classic Rock?"
snowaggie
I whole-heartedly agree with everything on here. Slightly off-topic: Have been listening to this music for 40 years. Most of these songs have passed through my brain hundreds of times. Does anyone else have a hard time getting much enjoyment from these songs anymore? I mean this in a brain/music sense, not from the obvious nostalgia value, or from the value inherent in introducing this music to those who haven't yet experienced it. I've always reserved 25% of my music-listening efforts to completely new music so that you can occasionally get that "new music brain tickle" when you discover something good.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Win At Life
AG
What you're describing is the definition of "classic" imo. Many songs do well in the moment but don't stand up over time and repeated listing. For that reason a classic has to be at least 20 years old to be a classic - 30 is better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Something about Africa is just insanely replayable. Similar to Back to the Future.
txknight
The Who- Join Together
Rick Derringer- Roll & Roll Hootchie Koo
Point Blank- Mean to Your Queenie
April Wine -Roller
jeffag02
Get him some classic albums...

Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Van Halen - Van Halen (1st album)
Cream - Disraeli Gears
AC/DC - Back in Black
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
The Who - Who's Next, Quadrophenia
Led Zeppelin - I, II, III, IV
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes

The list is endless!

He will hear some songs that are not played on classic rock radio and maybe appreciate album cuts. When I was about his age is when I started really getting to oldies and classic rock. I enjoyed listening to full length albums and discovering all the songs you never hear on the radio. So much great stuff beyond the standard 400 song playlist that dominates classic rock radio. How many times can you listen to "Don't Stop Believing" before you start getting sick to your stomach???

HollywoodBQ
AG
snowaggie said:

I whole-heartedly agree with everything on here. Slightly off-topic: Have been listening to this music for 40 years. Most of these songs have passed through my brain hundreds of times. Does anyone else have a hard time getting much enjoyment from these songs anymore? I mean this in a brain/music sense, not from the obvious nostalgia value, or from the value inherent in introducing this music to those who haven't yet experienced it. I've always reserved 25% of my music-listening efforts to completely new music so that you can occasionally get that "new music brain tickle" when you discover something good.
I was born in 1970 and didn't really start listening to music actively until about 1980 or so. Certainly I know about ABBA and some of the Outlaw Country movement from the 70s. When I was in college, there was a massive resurgence of the British Invasion so I got worn out on The Who. Also, a lot of stuff like Rolling Stones - Paint It Black. The kind of stuff you'd find on Rock 101 KLOL. And of course there was The Doors movie starring Val Kilmer.

But what I've discovered in the past 10-15 years is going deeper in the back catalog for Bands like The Scorpions and discovering other bands that were great but I really didn't know about like Rainbow.

In early 2015, I was lucky enough to take my 16 y/o daughter to see Michael Schenker at Whiskey a GoGo on Sunset. I knew Michael Schenker was a guitar virtuoso but, I didn't really realize how much he had done with The Scorpions, UFO, MSG, etc. So that was an example where my daughter learned something and I learned something too. I've got "Lovedrive" in my regular rotation now. As well as Rock Bottom and Doctor Doctor.

A neighbor of mine loaned me a cassette of Rainbow "Rising" when I lived in Austin circa 1998 and I never listened to it. When I bought my 2002 BMW M3 in 2005, it had a cassette player. I went looking for a cassette tape to test it and I found the Rainbow - Rising cassette. Let me just say that now, every time I hear the beginning to Tarot Woman, all I can think of is switching from The 134 to The 5 headed southbound at 80+ mph in my M3.

And lastly, I fly a lot of long-haul International Flights and almost every one of them has at least Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon if not Greatest Hits, or The Wall. There's nothing I like on a 14+ hour flight more than a couple shots of Jack Daniels followed by falling asleep listening to "Dark Side of the Moon". Seriously though, I never listened to Dark Side of the Moon until probably 2011 or later.

Anyway, the point is that if you're like me and get burned out on listening to Rush "Tom Sawyer", there's lots more out there from the 70s-80s.
BBRex
AG
I had a couple of MSG CDs, and I really liked them.

As for does classic rock get old, well, yes. I sort of go through bands a lot. I'll be on a, say, Pogues kick for a while, then go a year or more before going back again. I also look for fresh music, but it seems to be harder to find stuff I like.
KidDoc
AG
I was born in 72 so I have to add some bands here that may be on the bit on the edge of traditional classic rock but are in my regular rotation.

Iron Maiden: trooper, hallowed be they name, rime of the ancient mariner, wasted years ... I could go on i love almost all their work.

Whitesnake; all of slide it in. The coverdale/page album is amazing as well especially pride and joy

Dio last in line is amazing

Great white Hooked album

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HollywoodBQ
AG
After Puerto Rico and Alaska, I primarily grew up in Saudi Arabia. Living in KSA gave me the opportuity to get a lot of British music. They played a lot of British New Wave on Radio Bahrain which if you held the antenna just right, you could drag in on a good night. You could also get some stuff from The BBC on short wave.

But... getting this music straight from the UK without going via Hollywood meant that I got a few releases that never made it to the US. Like early Whitesnake.

Have a listen to this original UK version of "Here I Go Again"

And then the glammed out US - Tawny Kitaen Jaguar version

KidDoc
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

After Puerto Rico and Alaska, I primarily grew up in Saudi Arabia. Living in KSA gave me the opportuity to get a lot of British music. They played a lot of British New Wave on Radio Bahrain which if you held the antenna just right, you could drag in on a good night. You could also get some stuff from The BBC on short wave.

But... getting this music straight from the UK without going via Hollywood meant that I got a few releases that never made it to the US. Like early Whitesnake.

I agree completely. The true early whitesnake is deep purple.

Speaking of Deep Purple the Perfect Strangers era is amazing imo.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Human
AG
KidDoc said:

HollywoodBQ said:

I agree completely. The true early whitesnake is deep purple.

Speaking of Deep Purple the Perfect Strangers era is amazing imo.

Add Ronnie James Dio "Last in Line" and it's a memorable year for old school "rock"
RGV AG
AG
Quote:

Speaking of Deep Purple the Perfect Strangers era is amazing imo

Amen, couldn't agree more. Perfect Strangers was a hell of album. To this day I find myself listening to it several times a year. I saw that concert tour in S.A. and it was an excellent show.

Lots of good music out there, up through the early 90's when the grunge stuff got way popular there was always, at varying amounts, a certain amount of guitar blaring, back beat thumping, arena filling rock and roll being made. By the early mid 90's. not so much. On a personal level that is where I basically draw the line in terms of a time period making a big change.
KidDoc
AG
I honestly think one of the tours in my life I most missed was Coverdale/Page. As a child of the early 70's I didn't really understand who Plant was and I thought his music was pretty lame in the 80's (not zepp, the Plant stuff like Big Log) but the music that Page did with Coverdale is just amazing and I love to listen to it despite its ultimate commercial failure even to this day.

And their live version of Kashmir. I really wish they had toured as Zepp cover type band in the 80's and 90's

Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Petty: Mary Jane's Last Dance

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.