Looking for suggestions. Traveling to Budapest, Krakow, Prague and Vienna

2,032 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by soso33
FCBlitz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Spending 3 days in each city. I would appreciate suggestions for where to eat and things to do and see. was there anything unique about your stay in one of those cities that you didn't anticipate?
BoxingAg84

https://texags.com/forums/54
Serious Lee
id be nervous about staying in a hostel in eastern europe. eli roth says good luck
Post removed:
by user
AGnBCS
AG
Prague - U Golema in the Jewish district for a local flavor lunch . Def see the palace ,The Charles Bridge and the astronomical clock in the square .

Vienna - rent a bike and ride to schonbrun palace you can spend a better part of a day exploring its grounds and the gardens . Grab some wine and snacks at a local grocer and have a picnic in any of the numerous parks .

Budapest - Take the 3-4 hour river cruise up and down the Danube at night to see the city all lighted and the parliament building . Go roam the Great Market Hall buy some paprika . Eat some real Goulash at least from a couple of different spots . If you don't have accommodations yet I reccomend The Grand Corinthian Budapest .

Hope this help some
GoneGirl
AG
When are you going? That makes quite a bit of difference.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Look at me! I have a suitcase!
FCBlitz
Next week. Getting some great suggestions thanks
mrad85
AG
In Budapest - Spoon Cafe & Lounge

Great place, incredible food.
TXAGFAN
AG
In krakow you have to go to salt mines and auschwitz. The free walking tour isn't bad either. There is a 24 hour pierogi place (google and you'll find it) that's just awesome for a simple meal. Sit on the square and just watch people.

Highly underrated city, one of my favorites.

In Budapest, go to the baths. Rudas is most old school, but not always coed. When it's dude day they wear funny like towels over their junk.
Iowaggie
AG
All 3 were great cities to visit.

Wish I could share more but I want to feel superior in some way.
(Actually, it has been more than 15 years since I went, so I will just suggest Applebee's)
TyHolden
AG
Romanian [\thatguy]
UndergroundAg
Solo or with a partner? Cause if solo, hookers obvs.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Do research and find out which hookers have the best tasting snatch.
TyHolden
AG
bh93 said:

Do research and find out which hookers have the best tasting snatch.
its obviously Romanian jackass
FCBlitz
With my wife. I looked up the locations on Google earth and found the flats that we are staying at. Also looked up the location of small grocery stores to buy some food and drink. We will not eat out every meal and we can buy some bottles of wine.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Eat nothing but goulash while in Budapest.
PM&Rdoc04
AG
My wife and I just got back from 2 weeks in Budapest, Vienna, Prague (that order). We had a great time, and recommend visiting them in that order if you can.

Get the Rick Steve's book for each city. It was excellent to help highlight where to go, but also provided excellent walking tours of some of the major sites, as well as regional walking tours. You will easily make up the 15 dollars per book cost just by not having to pay for audio guides.

For shopping: go to Aldi, all cities have one. You can get beer for < 50 cents a piece, good wine for < 10 dollars, and "regular" wine for about 3 dollars. There are plenty of snacks, and also a great place to pickup bottled water which is more expensive than beer.

Budapest: We stayed near the university one block from the Danube. The first day (jet lagged) we walked along the Danube, went to the great market, went to Vaci Utca (don't do anything but walk down it, I promise it is a tourist trap), went to an outdoor beer garden, and just got a feel for Pest. We made our way to the Jewish Quarter and went to Szimpla Kert (a large ruin pub). Highlight Bar/Pub of the whole trip. Plan to get there before 7 or 8, and you will get right in. Otherwise there is a line around the block. MUST GO.

2nd day: We ate an early lunch at Hungarikum Bistro. Excellent food. They usually take reservations. We made it there at 11 AM opening, and the food helped liven us up from the night before. we made our way to the Buda side, and did the Castle tour. Do the Rick Steves Tour of the Castle District. We also hit up Parliament Square (make sure you go into the memorial in the front, easy to miss, looks like a subway enrtry) Highly recommend Hospital in the Rock (must do).

3rd Day: We did the Pest Side including Great Synagogue (must see), House of terror (must see), St. Stephens. Also hit up the Baths. We spent about 2 hours there. At night we made our way over to St. Margaret Island and brought our own wine, plastic cups, and sat along the Danube. Dinner that night was at Hid Bistro. Pizza, drinks, good price, good atmosphere. Tried Palinka. We ended the night at Bob Bar. We left at 2 AM and people were still pouring in.

Transportation: Car service from airport to hotel (Uber would have probably been fine.) The subway is very efficient and easy to figure out. I recommend to buy 5 or more tickets at once and just keep them in your wallet. DON'T FORGET TO RUN THEM THROUGH THE VALIDATOR BEFORE YOU GET ON, WE GOT CHECKED EVERY TIME WE WERE ON THE SUBWAY. We took the train to Vienna, bought the ticket at the station. We didn't get a reserved seat, so we sat in the dining car and I killed a hangover with Budvar.
Google maps is pretty good to help understand public transportation, but for what we did, everything was generally within 3 miles walking radius, and the baths were right on the subway line.

Safety: Mostly felt very safe. Much safer than in Houston off a main street. Careful for the very touristy areas for pickpockets. I have heard from many people not to take taxis.

Language: use the Google Translate app to learn hello, thank you, please and excuse me. If you would say those things, most people would be very hospitable and English was fairly prevalent.

Money: you can use Euro, but quite a mark up. I pulled out 200 Dollars worth of Forints. The ATM will give you nothing but big bills which are tough to break down there. If you find a Western Union, they will exchange your Forints for smaller bills (dont exchange Dollars to Forints there or at other kiosks, they will charge you upt to 20% exchange rate.)

Side Note: THE WOMEN HERE ARE BEAUTIFUL

Vienna: Arrived by the train there. DOWNLOAD THE OBB SCOTTY app which is the Austrian Train schedule. It will also help with the schedule for other Eurorail nations. We stayed right on the Opernring, which is the perimeter of the historical/tourist district. On Arrival we walked from the train station to our hotel. Long walk, should have UBER, but most of the walk was through the grounds of Belvedere Palace.

Vienna is much cleaner, scripted, scrubbed, polished, international, touristy than Budapest. Beautiful clean city. Kind of Disney land like. Again we used Rick Steve's. On the first day we walked throughout the historical district, popping in on many of the churches, and lighter sites. We made our way to City Hall at night, where during the Summer they have a huge festival with food stands, and a showing on the big screen of a concert or other artistic feature. (Probably will not have when you are there, but is a must see if they are having something similar.) We had drinks at 1516 Brewing Company, which was Ok, but had fair craft beer.

Vienna was a walk and take in the sites city. Much less intense then Budapest with hospital in the rock, Jewish Quarter, Great Synagogue, House of Terror. Truly two different cities and two different stories just a few hundred miles apart. the Contrast between Vienna and Budapest is sobering to say the least. That is why I recommend Budapest first.

On the second day (THIS WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE WHOLE VACATION) we took the Train to Melk. From there we rented a bike. We used Nextbike. Download the App. There probably won't be a bike at the train stop. Walk down the hill into the town which is picturesque. From there, use the app to see where the closest bike is (there will probably be one within 1/2 mile walk.) We then took the 23 mile bike ride to Krems. . We took 6 hours to do the trip, but stopped about every 4 miles or so for wine, beer, enjoy a church festival, ate lunch, climbed the castle where King Richard the Lionheart was supposedly held. Beautiful views, biking through vineyards along the river. For the most part was flat to downhill. We ate dinner at Wachauerstube Loiben which I recommend highly! The ride ends at the train station, and you can jump back on (use OBB Scotty for train schedules) and go all the way back to Vienna.

On the third day, we strolled around and hit up Hofburg palace, St. Peters, St. Stephens. We used the Rick Steve's tour in his book which was excellent. We spent the evening back at the City Hall Festival.

Transportation: We Walked most places, or took the train from Wien hauptbahnhof. UBER is terrific in Vienna, costing approx 5 dollars to go from the central district to the station. We didn't mess with the trolley's/trams. Easier to walk as it was all within 20 minutes.

Safety: Disneyland in the main areas. The most touristed areas though were very congested, compact, high risk for pick pockets. Heavy police presence, but reasonably friendly. Similar to Times Square in the "keep your eyes open" mentality. Outside of the main areas, it felt as safe as any US Metropolitan area.

Language: use the Google Translate. They speak German. Most know English, but they are not going to use it. All the train schedules are in German. Restroom signs are in German. Menus are in German. English versions are available but are incomplete, or outdated. Don't expect to see English subtext anywhere except in touristy areas.

Money: Euro. I needed 300 US dollars to navigate Vienna. It is as expensive as New York, San Francisco, Seattle.

Cesky Krumlov: took a shuttle costing about 100 dollars for 2 of us for the 3-4 hour rides. Scenic. Cramped. Nothing special about the ride.

Very nice town. Very touristy during the day. Asians everywhere. Much quieter at night. Has a certain appeal. Went to the "Gypsy bar" for drinks. Local feel. Did a 20 minute gentle rafting ride. It was Ok. the brewery was closed, except for the restaurant and bar, which was a nice atmosphere. the castle grounds were interesting. Overall, the town was a nice stop over on the way to Prague. I don't recommend it for more than one afternoon unless you are planning to take a long river trip which would have been a lot of fun (like the bike ride above).

Prague: We took the Student Agency Bus from Cesky Krumlov to Prague. Student Agency bus is terrific. About 7 dollars per person for 3 hours, provides snack services, movies, comfortable seats. It is about as comfortable as Southwest airline. From the Prague bus station we took Uber to our hotel. We stayed just underneath the castle at Golden Well Hotel. This was our splurge hotel, and it was terrific. Prague was our highlighted part of the trip, and after living it up in Vienna and Budapest for a week we wanted to make the most out of it.

On Day one we walked from the hotel, across the bridges, and did the Rick Steve's tour of Old town, and also of Wenceslas Square. Tons of walking that day. The Astronomical clock area is PACKED full of people, very narrow, worth seeing, but I recommend stopping by early in the morning or late in the evening. Wenceslas Square is very interesting as the site of the "Spring" against Communism. We had drinks at Brewery of the three roses. Very good beer, especially the triple Belgian. We came back across the Charles Bridge and ate dinner at Malostranska beseda which was very busy, but ok.

On Day two we did the Castle district. Get there very early (before 9 AM). Use Rick Steves tour. This area is a nut house by 10-11 AM. You will enjoy it much more early. The walk took 3-4 hours.
There is a second walking tour that starts around the Strahove monastery Brewery. I recommend walking that tour in reverse as you walk away from the Castle District and go get lunch and several great beers at the Monastery. We walked back by Velka klasterni restaurace which has spectacular views of Prague. We walked back to the hotel, and had the highlight dinner of the trip at our hotel restaurant Teras U Zlate Studne.

On day three, we walked to the Lenin wall, with some churches we hadn't seen yet on the way (including creepy baby dress up Jesus doll church), and the church which supposedly has part of Mary's House. We braved Charles Bridge (very packed always). We went back to have a beer at 3 Roses, and then went to U Kunstatu which had a great beer selection and very relaxing/removed beer garden. We walked to the Jewish quarter. I wish we would have had more time there, as we looked at the sites, but didn't go in. My wife shopped, I drank coffee. We walked over to Letna Beer Garden which was relaxing and a nice local scene. We ate at U Krale Brabantskeho which was a pretty cool theme.

Transportation: We Walked most places. UBER was very good.

Safety: Very touristy, but felt safe. Not much visible police presence, but would see them come out of no where to approach beggars or people appearing intoxicated. Be alert in the Castle District and Old Town.

Language: use the Google Translate. Fair English, but no guarantees.

Money: Koruna. I needed200 US dollars. Had a difficult time burning through it all. Beer and food was relatively cheap.

Overall: Great trip. Trip of a life time. Lots of fun. Beer is really cheaper than water. I have enjoyed going through our itineraries to type this out, and I hope it is useful.

Tips:
-Get your cellular providers international plan. Use google maps. I would search for all the places we wanted to go to, and save them on the map as want to go places. Once you are in the country, google translates it to the local language, which can be pretty confusing. You can also then "map" out your day walking.

-Get the "Currency" app and set it up for US dollar, Koruna, Forint and Euro. Keep it out when you are paying, so that you can see what the American dollar total is. You can also use it to calculate the tip in American dollars with conversion to the local currency.

-These countries do not use Credit cards for everything like we do here. If it is under 20-30 dollars, plan to use cash. When tipping, round up. For example, if the bill is $22, tell the waiter "make it $25" and pay accordingly. Don't just leave money on the table.

-Get the OBB Scotty App. Use google for public transportation routes.

- UBER was in our experience reliable, safe, and about 10% of the cost of taxi/car service.

Have fun.
Maroon Skittles
Vienna - Hapsburg Imperial Treasury... Learn how the 1% live.

/EOT
FCBlitz
PM&Rdoc04 said:

My wife and I just got back from 2 weeks in Budapest, Vienna, Prague (that order). We had a great time, and recommend visiting them in that order if you can.

Get the Rick Steve's book for each city. It was excellent to help highlight where to go, but also provided excellent walking tours of some of the major sites, as well as regional walking tours. You will easily make up the 15 dollars per book cost just by not having to pay for audio guides.

For shopping: go to Aldi, all cities have one. You can get beer for < 50 cents a piece, good wine for < 10 dollars, and "regular" wine for about 3 dollars. There are plenty of snacks, and also a great place to pickup bottled water which is more expensive than beer.

Budapest: We stayed near the university one block from the Danube. The first day (jet lagged) we walked along the Danube, went to the great market, went to Vaci Utca (don't do anything but walk down it, I promise it is a tourist trap), went to an outdoor beer garden, and just got a feel for Pest. We made our way to the Jewish Quarter and went to Szimpla Kert (a large ruin pub). Highlight Bar/Pub of the whole trip. Plan to get there before 7 or 8, and you will get right in. Otherwise there is a line around the block. MUST GO.

2nd day: We ate an early lunch at Hungarikum Bistro. Excellent food. They usually take reservations. We made it there at 11 AM opening, and the food helped liven us up from the night before. we made our way to the Buda side, and did the Castle tour. Do the Rick Steves Tour of the Castle District. We also hit up Parliament Square (make sure you go into the memorial in the front, easy to miss, looks like a subway enrtry) Highly recommend Hospital in the Rock (must do).

3rd Day: We did the Pest Side including Great Synagogue (must see), House of terror (must see), St. Stephens. Also hit up the Baths. We spent about 2 hours there. At night we made our way over to St. Margaret Island and brought our own wine, plastic cups, and sat along the Danube. Dinner that night was at Hid Bistro. Pizza, drinks, good price, good atmosphere. Tried Palinka. We ended the night at Bob Bar. We left at 2 AM and people were still pouring in.

Transportation: Car service from airport to hotel (Uber would have probably been fine.) The subway is very efficient and easy to figure out. I recommend to buy 5 or more tickets at once and just keep them in your wallet. DON'T FORGET TO RUN THEM THROUGH THE VALIDATOR BEFORE YOU GET ON, WE GOT CHECKED EVERY TIME WE WERE ON THE SUBWAY. We took the train to Vienna, bought the ticket at the station. We didn't get a reserved seat, so we sat in the dining car and I killed a hangover with Budvar.
Google maps is pretty good to help understand public transportation, but for what we did, everything was generally within 3 miles walking radius, and the baths were right on the subway line.

Safety: Mostly felt very safe. Much safer than in Houston off a main street. Careful for the very touristy areas for pickpockets. I have heard from many people not to take taxis.

Language: use the Google Translate app to learn hello, thank you, please and excuse me. If you would say those things, most people would be very hospitable and English was fairly prevalent.

Money: you can use Euro, but quite a mark up. I pulled out 200 Dollars worth of Forints. The ATM will give you nothing but big bills which are tough to break down there. If you find a Western Union, they will exchange your Forints for smaller bills (dont exchange Dollars to Forints there or at other kiosks, they will charge you upt to 20% exchange rate.)

Side Note: THE WOMEN HERE ARE BEAUTIFUL

Vienna: Arrived by the train there. DOWNLOAD THE OBB SCOTTY app which is the Austrian Train schedule. It will also help with the schedule for other Eurorail nations. We stayed right on the Opernring, which is the perimeter of the historical/tourist district. On Arrival we walked from the train station to our hotel. Long walk, should have UBER, but most of the walk was through the grounds of Belvedere Palace.

Vienna is much cleaner, scripted, scrubbed, polished, international, touristy than Budapest. Beautiful clean city. Kind of Disney land like. Again we used Rick Steve's. On the first day we walked throughout the historical district, popping in on many of the churches, and lighter sites. We made our way to City Hall at night, where during the Summer they have a huge festival with food stands, and a showing on the big screen of a concert or other artistic feature. (Probably will not have when you are there, but is a must see if they are having something similar.) We had drinks at 1516 Brewing Company, which was Ok, but had fair craft beer.

Vienna was a walk and take in the sites city. Much less intense then Budapest with hospital in the rock, Jewish Quarter, Great Synagogue, House of Terror. Truly two different cities and two different stories just a few hundred miles apart. the Contrast between Vienna and Budapest is sobering to say the least. That is why I recommend Budapest first.

On the second day (THIS WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE WHOLE VACATION) we took the Train to Melk. From there we rented a bike. We used Nextbike. Download the App. There probably won't be a bike at the train stop. Walk down the hill into the town which is picturesque. From there, use the app to see where the closest bike is (there will probably be one within 1/2 mile walk.) We then took the 23 mile bike ride to Krems. . We took 6 hours to do the trip, but stopped about every 4 miles or so for wine, beer, enjoy a church festival, ate lunch, climbed the castle where King Richard the Lionheart was supposedly held. Beautiful views, biking through vineyards along the river. For the most part was flat to downhill. We ate dinner at Wachauerstube Loiben which I recommend highly! The ride ends at the train station, and you can jump back on (use OBB Scotty for train schedules) and go all the way back to Vienna.

On the third day, we strolled around and hit up Hofburg palace, St. Peters, St. Stephens. We used the Rick Steve's tour in his book which was excellent. We spent the evening back at the City Hall Festival.

Transportation: We Walked most places, or took the train from Wien hauptbahnhof. UBER is terrific in Vienna, costing approx 5 dollars to go from the central district to the station. We didn't mess with the trolley's/trams. Easier to walk as it was all within 20 minutes.

Safety: Disneyland in the main areas. The most touristed areas though were very congested, compact, high risk for pick pockets. Heavy police presence, but reasonably friendly. Similar to Times Square in the "keep your eyes open" mentality. Outside of the main areas, it felt as safe as any US Metropolitan area.

Language: use the Google Translate. They speak German. Most know English, but they are not going to use it. All the train schedules are in German. Restroom signs are in German. Menus are in German. English versions are available but are incomplete, or outdated. Don't expect to see English subtext anywhere except in touristy areas.

Money: Euro. I needed 300 US dollars to navigate Vienna. It is as expensive as New York, San Francisco, Seattle.

Cesky Krumlov: took a shuttle costing about 100 dollars for 2 of us for the 3-4 hour rides. Scenic. Cramped. Nothing special about the ride.

Very nice town. Very touristy during the day. Asians everywhere. Much quieter at night. Has a certain appeal. Went to the "Gypsy bar" for drinks. Local feel. Did a 20 minute gentle rafting ride. It was Ok. the brewery was closed, except for the restaurant and bar, which was a nice atmosphere. the castle grounds were interesting. Overall, the town was a nice stop over on the way to Prague. I don't recommend it for more than one afternoon unless you are planning to take a long river trip which would have been a lot of fun (like the bike ride above).

Prague: We took the Student Agency Bus from Cesky Krumlov to Prague. Student Agency bus is terrific. About 7 dollars per person for 3 hours, provides snack services, movies, comfortable seats. It is about as comfortable as Southwest airline. From the Prague bus station we took Uber to our hotel. We stayed just underneath the castle at Golden Well Hotel. This was our splurge hotel, and it was terrific. Prague was our highlighted part of the trip, and after living it up in Vienna and Budapest for a week we wanted to make the most out of it.

On Day one we walked from the hotel, across the bridges, and did the Rick Steve's tour of Old town, and also of Wenceslas Square. Tons of walking that day. The Astronomical clock area is PACKED full of people, very narrow, worth seeing, but I recommend stopping by early in the morning or late in the evening. Wenceslas Square is very interesting as the site of the "Spring" against Communism. We had drinks at Brewery of the three roses. Very good beer, especially the triple Belgian. We came back across the Charles Bridge and ate dinner at Malostranska beseda which was very busy, but ok.

On Day two we did the Castle district. Get there very early (before 9 AM). Use Rick Steves tour. This area is a nut house by 10-11 AM. You will enjoy it much more early. The walk took 3-4 hours.
There is a second walking tour that starts around the Strahove monastery Brewery. I recommend walking that tour in reverse as you walk away from the Castle District and go get lunch and several great beers at the Monastery. We walked back by Velka klasterni restaurace which has spectacular views of Prague. We walked back to the hotel, and had the highlight dinner of the trip at our hotel restaurant Teras U Zlate Studne.

On day three, we walked to the Lenin wall, with some churches we hadn't seen yet on the way (including creepy baby dress up Jesus doll church), and the church which supposedly has part of Mary's House. We braved Charles Bridge (very packed always). We went back to have a beer at 3 Roses, and then went to U Kunstatu which had a great beer selection and very relaxing/removed beer garden. We walked to the Jewish quarter. I wish we would have had more time there, as we looked at the sites, but didn't go in. My wife shopped, I drank coffee. We walked over to Letna Beer Garden which was relaxing and a nice local scene. We ate at U Krale Brabantskeho which was a pretty cool theme.

Transportation: We Walked most places. UBER was very good.

Safety: Very touristy, but felt safe. Not much visible police presence, but would see them come out of no where to approach beggars or people appearing intoxicated. Be alert in the Castle District and Old Town.

Language: use the Google Translate. Fair English, but no guarantees.

Money: Koruna. I needed200 US dollars. Had a difficult time burning through it all. Beer and food was relatively cheap.

Overall: Great trip. Trip of a life time. Lots of fun. Beer is really cheaper than water. I have enjoyed going through our itineraries to type this out, and I hope it is useful.

Tips:
-Get your cellular providers international plan. Use google maps. I would search for all the places we wanted to go to, and save them on the map as want to go places. Once you are in the country, google translates it to the local language, which can be pretty confusing. You can also then "map" out your day walking.

-Get the "Currency" app and set it up for US dollar, Koruna, Forint and Euro. Keep it out when you are paying, so that you can see what the American dollar total is. You can also use it to calculate the tip in American dollars with conversion to the local currency.

-These countries do not use Credit cards for everything like we do here. If it is under 20-30 dollars, plan to use cash. When tipping, round up. For example, if the bill is $22, tell the waiter "make it $25" and pay accordingly. Don't just leave money on the table.

-Get the OBB Scotty App. Use google for public transportation routes.

- UBER was in our experience reliable, safe, and about 10% of the cost of taxi/car service.

Have fun.

Thank you for the time it took to pin this information out. It has just raised the ability for wife and I to have better vision of each city we will visit. It is going to be a great vacation for the two of us.
Tex117
AG
Quote:

Get the Rick Steve's book for each city.
Depending on what kind of traveler yall are....I don't know if this is the right way to do things. Is it an easy path of least resistance? Yes. But depending on what you are looking for when you travel, following a guide like this may be exactly the wrong way to go about trying to find it.

Canyon99
Run the other direction if a local approaches you, says that cabs are so damn expensive, and offers to share.
soso33
Prague beer pubs/breweries, if you are into that:

U Medvdku Restaurant and Brewery
Na Pertn 7, Prague 1 Old Town
MonFri 11am11pm, Sat 11 .30am11pm,
Sun 11 .30am10pm
+420 224 211 916
.umedvidku .cz

U Fleku Brewery and Restaurant
Kemencova 11, Prague 1 Old Town
MonSun 10am11pm
+420 224 934 019
.ufleku .cz

Pivovarsky dum
('Brewery House')
Jen/Lpov 15, Prague 2 Vinohrady
MonSun 11am11 .30pm
+420 296 216 666
.pivovarskydum .com

U Dvou Kocek
Uhelny trh 415/10, Prague 110 00, Czech Republic (Stare Mesto (Old Town))
+420 224 229 982

Strahov Monastery Brewery
Perched atop the city part of the Strahov Monastery compound and the lush surrounding Petrin Hill, the Strahov Brewery is a delightful find in the bustling city of Prague. Just steps from the massive Prague Castle complex, the microbrewery serves about ten variations of St. Norbert beer (3 all year round and 7 seasonally) and the brews are all delicious and fresh with crisp hints of unique flavors. The unfiltered and unfermented brews include a bitter Amber blend that is similar to a German Mrzen, or a German Lager beer, and a dark Vienna brew from Dunkel. Seasonal brews vary with the summer featuring a strong wheat beer that is simply great, and an excellent Brown Ale in November, an ever-elusive beer in Prague, as well as a special Christmas brew. The traditional brewery serves tasty and traditional Czech cuisine and also features al fresco dining in the brewery courtyard. The brewery dates back to the 13th century and was closed in 1907. After a meticulous renovation the brewery reopened its doors to thirsty customers in 2000. The interior is a pleasant blend of wood, traditional dcor and brewery tanks and equipment.
Strahovsk Ndvo, Praha 1, +420 233 353 155, www.klasterni-pivovar.cz

While the tour here was nothing too special, I recommend visiting the castle, as not very far away you will find one of the most beautiful views overlooking Prague. Words don't do it justice.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.