Weirdest thing you've seen on your commute

11,092 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
dcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
None of these were exactly during rush hour:

I-35 south in Dallas and a guy in the middle lane driving a truck has his right front tire fly off and heads down the highway another 2 miles or so. Sparks everywhere and the guy manages to get his truck to the shoulder.

635 in Dallas heading East. Traffic is basically stopped and this guy on a motorcycle on the shoulder going at least 120, popping a wheelie and standing up on the seat.

San Antonio on 281 heading south. Saw a car kind of swerving a little and as I pull up to pass him I see the guy driving doesn't have a steering wheel and is steering with vice grips on the steering column.

In Dallas at a stoplight at night. Guy in the passenger seat is sitting there with sunglasses on. The girl he is with who is driving is giving him a nice treat while they are waiting for the light to turn green.
Boodlum
AG
In San Antonio a guy driving with his knees while he was lighting up about a 1 foot tall bong

IN STX about 30-40 illegals all running separate directions down the road.
80s Guy
aggielee03 said:

In San Antonio a guy driving with his knees while he was lighting up about a 1 foot tall bong

IN STX about 30-40 illegals all running separate directions down the road.
Saw this at least a dozen times growing up just south of 59 near Edna.
Ragoo
AG
i took the train onceand some Italian kept trying to massage my shoulders.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Driving north on 121 in Ft Worth around 6:30 am and passed a house that was fully involved (aka raging inferno). Not a fire truck or neighbor in sight. Drove by it that afternoon and it was a pile of ashes and a concrete slab. Still no fire trucks, neighbors, or caution tape from police.
Celee04
AG
Manhattan: Homeless guy on sidewalk, face about 6" away from women's breasts in a perfume photo ad kiosk, pants down, going to town on himself in full view of anyone who glanced his way.
GoneGirl
AG
A couple of weeks ago - I was coming home from work on a Sunday evening and there was no-one but emergency vehicles on the road. All the plants along the ship channel were flaring and the low clouds gave everythhing a surreal glow. Random abandoned vehicles on the side of the road. There was a fire truck driving on the other side, and suddenly it cut a uturn in the middle of the beltway, turned around and went contrflow in the same direction that I was going.

So I'm flying down the beltway - only to see my exit was blocked off by a police car.Went to the next exit and it was open, so I head down it - to see headlights of a truck. Pulled up along side the truck and there were two guys getting a flat bottomed boat off a trailer. The exit ramp greatly resembled a boat ramp.

Lots happened after that, including me very stupidly driving through a bayou, and almost spending the night sleeping in my vehicle in a parking lot, but I did actually make it home safely.

That was definitely the strangest drive home ever for me.

"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
trueaggie2782
AG
Brother saw this on his way home in Houston a few months back
DannyDuberstein
AG
Reverse works

4stringAg
AG
Two items:

--Had just moved to Raleigh, NC for a new job. First day, I left way early so I'd beat traffic and to make sure I could find the office so as not to be late. Not much traffic on the road, I'm driving an SUV and come up on a Mazda Miata and see a girls head bobbing on a guys rod.

--Was working a 3rd shift at a place in downtown Memphis. As I'm driving to work, a 70s model convertible caddy pimp mobile pulls up along side. Driver is a black guy with a gold grill in his mouth who was the owner of a local bar called "Raiford's Hollywood" and in the back seat were 3 big black women and a lone white guy. The white guy was Silky O'Sullivan who owns a famous bar on Beale St. They were lovin' all over him. Just a weird scene really.
Wildcat
AG
When I was a post-doc at UTSW I rolled out of the lab and headed down Inwood just behind the old Parkland. A thunderstorm was dumping rain and the lightning and thunder were roaring. I look up and there is a Hispanic guy walking down the side of the road wearing nothing but a hospital gown; He's got an open head-wound that is seeping blood through the bandages.
Aggie1205
AG
IDAGG said:

Driving home one day. I see an older full size passenger van with a guy about 70 years old driving it. And the entire van is filled with loose trash. Paper, fast food wrappers, you name it. Not in bags but just like he dumped a bunch of trash cans into his van. And the trash level was up to the bottom of the windows including the area in the front where the driver was. W.T.F.?

Probably a good way to smuggle drugs. You know that no cop wants to have to search that.
petey88

boring story, on I-35, saw the rear axle of an 18 wheeler sparking up, as I got in the left lane to pass and was even, fire blew up. It was 5 AM as I was driving to work a few years ago, so no traffic. The driver didn't see it, so I sped up & got in front him & tapped my brake lights. He slowed, pulled off to the access road, so did I. He jumped out his cab with a fire extinguisher hollering at me to call 911.

I did, the dispatcher said they other calls about the sparks but no caller could give them a mile marker. Luckily, the fire house was right around the corner. They arrived in maybe two minutes, sprayed the back of trailer down, put the fire out. The tires were burned up.

Firemen said he was lucky the whole trailer didn't go up in flames. I left without talking to the driver, sure he had enough problems. I was maybe 5 minutes late to work, and had taken one phone photo, nobody said a word to me that day. Which is the way I like it, the less I had to talk to co-workers the better, they were not very educated and lazy.
Athanasius
AG
Not on my commute- but I saw this accident happen right in front of me. The families had to deal with a mistaken identity of a survivor and a non-survivor.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/26/arizona.crash.mixup/index.html
smucket
AG
Driving down Maple Ave in Dallas years ago I looked over at a bus stop and see a black guy with a healthy fro that has a pair of women's panties on his head and his fro is popping out of the leg holes so that he looks like Mickey Mouse. Loved it so much I went around the block to see it again. Here's to ya, panty head, wherever you are!
Duckhook
AG
Not a commute for me, but I was driving north through the King Ranch. Railroad tracks run parallel to 77 on the west side. I was catching up to a train that was probably going about 60 mph. Border Patrol plane is flying up one side of the train and then turning around and flying down the other side. Saw about 20 illegals scrambling from one side of the rail cars to the other to try to avoid being seen by the BP.
Builder93
AG
A friend and I were driving to Abilene to attend a wedding. Somewhere in west Texas a conversion van is in front of us and ahead of the van I see a full grown ostrich on the side of the road which proceeds to walk out in front of the van. The van doesn't even try to move out of the way and slams into the bird. The bird spins around in the road and we go around it to the right. When I looked back all I saw was the bird's head stick up one last time before it collapsed. The van kept going like nothing had happened. I didn't see any other ostriches anywhere nearby.
Carlo4
AG
Does commuting to a Rangers game count? Both occurred on PGBT in Carrollton.

1. high school aged couple was having some oral fun while going 70 MPH. He was swerving the Escalade like crazy. We pulled up next to him, and she came up with a funny look on her face and wiped her mouth. He looked at us and smiled.

2. Copp pulled us over for claiming to go 95 in a 65. We told him that a same make/model car passed us not two minutes prior.

Cop goes "are you sure". Friend goes "I'm positive". I couldn't help but notice the My Cousin Vinny reference.

Cop disappears for about five minutes. Comes back laughing. Said we were right and that the same car (not us) was the speedster. Thank god for that camera that day!

Carlo4
AG
Commuting: saw a vehicle with McPimpin on the side. Someone painted Ronald McDonald with a tongue ring on the hood. Car was purple like Grimace with some red and yellow.

75 SB heading towards downtown Dallas in morning rush hour.
gigemags-99
AG
Saw a homeless dude get his ass kicked by a doctor. It was either a doctor or a male nurse, but he was in scrubs and driving a mercedes. This homeless guy (HG) is acosting a woman in the median of the road near the medical district in San Antonio. Not sure if the girl was HG's woman or a stranger. Well, this doctor had seen enough while waiting at a stoplight. He gets out of the car and yells at the HG to stop. The HG takes exception and rushes doc like he is going to do a two hand shove. The doc does some double hand slap so the HG's arms cross his own chest and he goes past him. HG turns back around and doc kicks him in the nuts and straight punches him in the face. That was the coolest ninja **** I'd ever seen in real life . It took about three seconds.
bac
AG
swc93 said:

Just this morning I saw an Indian women in a Lexus on Independence in Plano actually use her turn signal and make a right turn on red without someone honking at her first. F'ing crazy!

I love you.
rebag00
AG
Corner of Preston and NW Highway in Dallas - stopped at light, first row. DART bus had just stopped and a few folks got off. Older lady starts walking across NW Highway towards the office buildings in the crosswalk. Cement truck comes flying thru the intersection turn lane and runs right over that poor lady. I immeadiately averted my eyes. But I can still see her purse and lunch bag lying in the road next to her lifeless body. Truck driver got out and started puking in the middle of the street. I sat there stunned through I don't know how many light cycles before a cop came and started moving traffic thru while waiting on an ambulance. Not a pleasant experience for my morning commute.

A few years before that, driving southbound on DNT in same area, saw a car and a motorcycle having a road rage incident. Car swerved in front of bike, slams on brakes (probably going 60-70 mph). Biker goes headfirst over the car, landing on road. Car calmly goes around the guy lying in the road in front of him and speeds off. I'm first car behind them. So I hit brakes, flashers in middle lane, stop and get out. Cars are flying by in both other lanes as he and the bike are in the middle lane protected only by my car. I called 911, turned around and the biker had drug himself over to the median. Bleeding profusely...from multiple bandaged wounds on him arms and legs and head(!). Incoherent. Shorts, barefoot, t shirt, no helmet. Cops/Fire show up. Guy starts talking. He had been in a previous road rage accident 3 days before, and was taking his new bike for a ride. Was 23. He asked me to call his mom and tell her he was going back to Parkland. DPS called me an hour later to tell me that the driver who caused the accident had stopped and turned himself in at DPD HQ.
Bondag
AG
At same intersection I have seen

1. A guy on bike (may have been homeless) not stop at an intersection and flipped over the hood of a car that had a green light and could not see him.

2. A homeless girl with her skirt pulled up in back and a guy railing her from behind waving at passing cars.
malenurse
AG
swc93 said:

Just this morning I saw an Indian women in a Lexus on Independence in Plano actually use her turn signal and make a right turn on red without someone honking at her first. F'ing crazy!
I believe all the stories on this thread, except this one.
GarryowenAg
AG
I live in Fort Worth and commute to Arlington for work. I was late for work one day and driving eastbound on I-30. I was driving behind a truck with a roof rack and changed lanes right before the I-35 exit in order to avoid stupid drivers vering into the exit. Just as I changed lanes, an aluminum extension ladder that was on the truck in front of me comes loose and flies onto the road and turns perpendicular in the middle lanes. Cars went nuts trying to avoid it so suddenly. The work truck had no clue and just kept going.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Saw a motorcycle with no helmet crash in front of me and I'm pretty sure his head hit the curb. Called cops and got out to see if i could help, but he was on the way out of this world pretty quickly. Will never forget the gurgling death sounds this guy made.
Know Your Enemy
AG
80s Guy said:

So I worked in Cityplace (one floor up from Junkhead) and got to see lots of crazy **** on the DART. One that stands out was early one Saturday morning, I went into the office to get caught up on some paperwork and saw a 'sho Nuff Hooker on a train throw down. It was somewhere between 635 and Mockingbird. First hooker got on and looked like she might be about to nod off to catch up on sleep when at the next stop, another one gets on. They lock eyes and the cussing starts! Within a few seconds, they were at each others throats. Weaves were getting ripped off, shirts torn, boobs flying around... They kept it up until CityPlace where a gaggle of DART cops were waiting. Took 6 of them to get them apart and cuffed.

The 9 months or so I rode DART were a daily goldmine of stories. My favorite was when a homeless dude went full on televangelist in an overcrowded train at rush hour. I was standing in the stairwell behind him cracking up at the faces of the people he was preaching to.
Sapper Redux
Quote:

San Antonio on 281 heading south. Saw a car kind of swerving a little and as I pull up to pass him I see the guy driving doesn't have a steering wheel and is steering with vice grips on the steering column.

It's San Antonio. Don't know if it counts as weird there.
libertyag
AG
I took early retirement after high school but into my fourth year of it, I met a gal who was about to go off to A&M and I decided I better make some coins so I could go as well. I went to work as a derrickman on a workover rig and one morning on the way to work, while still in town picking up the last member of the crew, we saw something on the grass by the side of a city street. Was this very, very old man, in pajamas, laying in the grass which was all covered in dew. He was about dead, moving very little, making no sound as he struggled for life. None of the four of us knew anything about CPR or what to do. One guy in our crew ran to make a phone call (back before cell phones). The old man died before the ambulance got there. Never did find out who he was, or how he got there. We knew the neighborhood and he didn't belong to anyone around there. None of us followed up on the event.

I have seen 9 dead people in my life, but this was the only time I saw someone actually dying.
Sit Down Rando
AG
unimboti nkum said:

The DC metro was a constant source of entertainment back in the day.

A mentally disabled woman sat down near a black woman who was taking up two seats. The mentally disabled woman started muttering under her breath about how rude some people are...especially fat people who take up two seats. The black lady was having none of it and they started arguing. She had obviously had a long day. She finally got up to leave and the mentally disabled woman yelled "stupid n****r!" The entire train let out a collective "oooooooohhhh!!!" We were all on her side until the racial slur. The black lady then smacked her senseless and exited the train. I had a great view of the whole debacle.

Would have been way better if you took video.
Bondag
AG
Sit Down Rando said:

unimboti nkum said:

A mentally disabled woman sat down near a black woman who was taking up two seats. The mentally disabled woman started muttering under her breath about how rude some people are...especially fat people who take up two seats. The black lady was having none of it and they started arguing. She had obviously had a long day. She finally got up to leave and the mentally disabled woman yelled "stupid n****r!" The entire train let out a collective "oooooooohhhh!!!" We were all on her side until the racial slur. The black lady then smacked her senseless and exited the train. I had a great view of the whole debacle.

He would have just taken it in vertical and ruined it.
et98
AG
I used to watch the same drug dealer sell drugs every day for a year on Elysian Street in Houston (the ghetto between downtown and the Hardy Toll Road).

The 1st time I ever realized what was happening, there was a wreck that caused me to sit in the same spot for about 45 minutes in front of an old closed, rundown store. There was a giant black man standing there (I nicknamed him "Big Boy") eating a box of Chinese takeout.

A few minutes later, I glanced back at him and saw him hand his takeout box to a guy walking past him at a fast pace. It looked weird, so I kept watching. A few minutes later, a different guy came from behind the building & quickly walked by him and handed him ANOTHER Chinese takeout box. At no point did any of these people ever speak or even look at each other.

About 2 or 3 minutes later, I saw a different guy walking toward the intersection from a block or two away with his own Chinese takeout box. He eventually walked past Big Boy at a fast pace. You had to be watching closely, especially since it happened so fast and the two didn't really look at each other, but the new guy and Big Boy exchanged their Chinese take out boxes when the new guy passed by. The new guy kept walking straight until he was out of sight. A minute or two after he passed, the very 1st guy I saw walk by Big Boy walked by again, and Big Boy handed his takeout box to him as he passed. And then the cycle began again.

I now know that Big Boy had drugs in his takeout box and switched it with the buyer who had cash in his box. The guy who picked up Big Boys box afterwards was the bag-man, and the other person who brought a new box was the delivery man. The whole operation was smooth and almost invisible.

I drove that way nearly every day for 2 years without ever noticing it even though it was right in front of me. But after I realized what was happening, I saw Big Boy out there nearly every day for the next year or so until I changed jobs. Sometimes he had a fast food bag, sometimes he had a styrofoam to-go box. But he almost always had some kind of food container in his hands.

The crazy thing was that it was out in the open, facing the road during rush hour. The traffic moved pretty fast there usually, so I guess they figured nobody would notice...and they were right other than the time I was stuck there for 45 minutes. It was also weird because there were no restaurants nearby, so those food containers were kind of out of place...but it still flew under my radar.
Biz Ag
AG
I was stopped at a light westbound on Richmond at loop 610. A pickup truck slowly rolls up beside me to my right. I look over and the driver is leaning against the window with his eyes closed.

I think to myself, "holy crap, is that guy having a heart attack?" Right at that moment a female's head pops up in the window, looks around, makes eye contact with me, blows me a kiss and gets back to work.
unimboti nkum
AG
Sit Down Rando said:

unimboti nkum said:

My dicsman didn't have video capability, but it did have BASS-BOOST.
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
Enviroag02
AG
I used to ride the DART to downtown Dallas but two days in a one week time span I drove. One day was a doctors appointment and the other a dentist appointment. On Monday on my way back from the dentist a Chevy Tahoe ran off the road at Bush Turnpike and North garland. He flipped end over end three times and I was the only one who stopped to assist. He's by himself thankfully but as I walk up he's climbing out of the shattered drivers side window while upside down. He gets out and runs toward me screaming that he needs to use my phone. I'm already on the phone with 911 but I'm not giving a guy with a blood soaked hand my phone. The crazy thing is I can see a piece of his tibia sticking out of his leg.

Two days later in my way back from the doctor I'm headed west on I30 at Buckner when I see something fall from the overpass in front of me but a lane to my right. Just ahead of me to my right is an 18 wheeler. A Hispanic middle aged man jumped from the Buckner overpass, was smacked by the 18 wheeler,and ended up lifeless on the road behind the big rig but about 20 feet in front of me in the lane to the right after I slammed the brakes. Crazy week!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.