Restaurant limits alcohol to parents who drive and bring their kids

4,415 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 62strat
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man....bunch of feather weights on this thread if 2 drinks gets you sloppy drunk and can't drive home.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
One double Long Island iced tea will get me pretty dang stupid.
chiken
AG
jokershady said:

Man....bunch of feather weights on this thread if 2 drinks gets you sloppy drunk and can't drive home.
Actually, I purposefully didn't mention the amount of drinks because everyone has different tolerances. A good practice would be not to drink/drive when you have children with you, per NY. I agree.

I mean, honestly, can you (collective you) not have a meal without alcohol?
GoneGirl
AG
I must be the only one who read this
Quote:

Restaurant limits alcohol to parents who drive and bring their kids

as the restaurant only serving alcohol to people who drive and bring their kids...

Like, it's limited to only them.

So, to get a beer, you have to buy a kids meal too.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
TSUAggie
Simple solution. Leave your kids in the car while you drink.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
If it wasn't for alcohol most children would never have been conceived. I think the kids owe it to the parents to let them drink. They changed your diapers for years if they want to get hammered in front of you and drive home that's their prerogative they've earned it dammit.
GoneGirl
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

If it wasn't for alcohol most children would never have been conceived.
This.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So if a restaurant is making a judgment about whether it will limit patrons to one serving of alcohol or some other, larger number, isn't the initial limitation just sanctimonious nonsense? If you're trying to prevent people from drinking at your establishment and then driving in conditions you believe to be unsafe, shouldn't the limit across the board be one serving? Kids don't make you get more drunk on the same amount of alcohol.
Liquid Wrench
We're still skirting the real issue, which is that children shouldn't be allowed in places that serve alcohol.
Mainly because other people want to be able to enjoy their time out.
Tanya 93
ChiliBeans said:

We're still skirting the real issue, which is that children shouldn't be allowed in places that serve alcohol.

Or people could just allow owners to determine that and tailor their visits accordingly.
62strat
AG
chiken said:

I've always thought it's in poor taste to drink while your children are in tow. It's fine at home, but don't f'ing drink and drive with a kid present. They can't find other ways home if they think you're too trashed.

I have kids and almost always have a single drink if we go out for dinner. But, I have self control and the ability to have just one. I like a beer with my food, just as one may like a soda with it.
62strat
AG
blindey said:

Kids don't make you get more drunk on the same amount of alcohol.
maybe not, but they could possibly add a hell of a lot more distractions than if you were driving alone.
fta09
AG
I had a beer Saturday with my lunch and my kid was there. I didn't tow him home, though. He got to ride in his car seat in the back seat.
PseudonymK
AG
I wish CPS would work this hard.
TyHolden
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

It's simple: if you really want to get wasted at dinner with your kids sitting next to you and this establishment won't server you, there's probably an Applebee's nearby where they don't care.
TyHolden
AG
gigemags-99 said:

Leave the kids in the car...problem solved
aggieforester05
AG
Take turns, one parent gets a drink at dinner, the other drives. Next time swap places, works 60% of the time, everytime.
aggieforester05
AG
ChiliBeans said:

That would be ridiculous. If you want to argue places that have a 51% area like the bar at a crappy applebees, sure, but on average most restaurants have alcohol. Alcohol margins are much much better than food and allow more restaurants to stay in business than you might think.
Reginald Cousins
S
queso1 said:

NYE about 3 years ago we went to dinner with some guests from Europe. The waiter was being a royal dick and demanded driver's licenses from all who wanted to drink. He wouldn't serve without them. We had licenses, but our guests did not. Understand that our guests were 55 and older with teenage kids.

I went straight to the manager and raised hell.

The point is that sometimes common sense is best.
It's not that simple. I recently had to publicly chastise a 62 year old man who was buying beer in a c-store. It wasn't something I enjoyed doing but some people just can't understand the premise.

The store had recently been busted by TABC and developed a policy to ID everyone, regardless of appearance. He was being extremely condescending to the young ladies as well as quite loud and unruly.

If it is the policy of the service provider (which I'm not saying your case fits), don't take it out on the employee who toes the line. Even if it is not, understand that it is the particular server or waiter that is responsible for not losing their certification to serve, whether you like the way they do it or not.

What you did is akin to backseat driving. It's not your license.

Whip whip!
jickyjack1
Junkhead said:

If both parents are there can one get liquored up while the other doesn't drink?

If both kids are there can one can get liquored up while the other doesn't drink? That way there's always one to drive the kiddie car.
Unemployed
AG
Breaking news: the restaurant owner is an investor in Uber and Lyft.
62strat
AG
aggieforester05 said:

ChiliBeans said:

That would be ridiculous. If you want to argue places that have a 51% area like the bar at a crappy applebees, sure, but on average most restaurants have alcohol. Alcohol margins are much much better than food and allow more restaurants to stay in business than you might think.
On top of that, there was a place we went a few times that was literally a kid destination - arcade, small rides, party area, pizzas, etc.. yet they served beer.

Or a bowling alley, or a baseball game, or a festival, or a concert, or a ....

Some people really don't think through things.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
ChiliBeans said:

I think that may be the stupidest thing I've heard.

I could list all the chain restaurants in this country that serve alcohol and you think it's a good idea to make them choose between being a "family" restaurant or an "over 21 with no kids" restaurant? Seriously?

GoneGirl
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Take turns, one parent gets a drink at dinner, the other drives. Next time swap places, works 60% of the time, everytime.
This is more or less what we do. My husband likes a beer with dinner. I could take it or leave it, so I usually have iced tea and drive home. He would be just fine after a single beer, but why take the chance?

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
62strat said:

blindey said:

maybe not, but they could possibly add a hell of a lot more distractions than if you were driving alone.

they'd be a distraction either way.
PigInABlanket
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

ChiliBeans said:

I think that may be the stupidest thing I've heard.

I could list all the chain restaurants in this country that serve alcohol and you think it's a good idea to make them choose between being a "family" restaurant or an "over 21 with no kids" restaurant? Seriously?

Yes. Because your children are terrible little brats. Take them to Chuck E. Cheese, where they belong.
Broncos
What if they Uber there?
GoneGirl
AG
blindey said:

62strat said:

blindey said:

Sometimes you have to drink to tune them out...
GoneGirl
AG
Wildman15
AG
ArcticPenguin
CherryLodes said:

If a customer is overserved at an establishment and then gets in an accident the bar can face fines and potential civil litigation. At least here in Texas. I'm not sure about other states
They are called Dram Shop laws, if anyone wants an easy term to google and most states have them.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
AgEng06 said:

I can't say I'm surprised. This is the same state that wanted to limit the size of fountain drinks.
Because you know, fat people and diabetes...
song man
Blame it on the booze
Got you feeling loose
Blame it on 'tron
Got you in the zone
62strat
AG
blindey said:

62strat said:

blindey said:

Wut? They'd be a distraction if you were driving alone?

Interesting.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.