Why do people say Laptops and Desktops are going away?

4,758 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TTUArmy
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone who does any work outside of flipping burgers does it with a desktop and increasingly with a laptop.
I could not get by with a Tablet which is a toy for fun and leisure. Just a phone? No way..

Lap/Desk tops will be around for a long long time.
CDUB98
AG
shut up
ClickClack
AG
The company where I work (Fortune 500) has switched to the tablets for most (I actually chose a laptop for a bigger screen). But they are all basically just laptops with detachable keyboards and touch screen. What you call it is moot.
chipotle
Quote:

shut up

tandy miller
AG
ClickClack said:

The company where I work (Fortune 500) has switched to the tablets for most (I actually chose a laptop for a bigger screen). But they are all basically just laptops with detachable keyboards and touch screen. What you call it is moot.
Do they haz mouse?
BombayAg
ClickClack said:

Yes, there are some jobs where such devices would work. But there are a lot where you need a big screen and a keyboard.
Programmers for example prefer these and I don't think their work can be done on a tablet.
ClickClack
AG
tandy miller said:

ClickClack said:

Do they haz mouse?

If they want to. But I guess you don't really need one with a touchscreen?
tandy miller
AG
mouse is much faster for some things. Thats the main reason i still have a laptop. That, and bc an ipad cant hold all of my pr0n
Ulrich
Form factor doesn't really matter. If my phone or tablet had more juice and could dock to my monitors, I would just use those instead of a laptop. If all the device does is display computing being done in a virtual desktop, then processing power/ram/etc doesn't even matter.
ClickClack
AG
tandy miller said:

mouse is much faster for some things. Thats the main reason i still have a laptop. That, and bc an ipad cant hold all of my pr0n

Yeah I guess my point is the windows "tablets" that most of my company uses are just laptops with a detachable keyboard. They still have USB ports for a mouse.
BombayAg
Ulrich said:

Form factor doesn't really matter. If my phone or tablet had more juice and could dock to my monitors, I would just use those instead of a laptop. If all the device does is display computing being done in a virtual desktop, then processing power/ram/etc doesn't even matter.

Probably the only time when a tablet woould work is for jobs where thhe person views and approves things. And email. CEOs might prefer the upside of being easy to carry but harder to use (type) unless you are just clicking a button or two.

riverrataggie
AG
BombayAg said:

Ulrich said:

Probably the only time when a tablet woould work is for jobs where thhe person views and approves things. And email. CEOs might prefer the upside of being easy to carry but harder to use (type) unless you are just clicking a button or two.

C-Suites don't type.
Ulrich
BombayAg said:

Ulrich said:

Did you read the post to which you are responding?
Dread Pirate Roberts
Until the mobile/tablet software improves drastically, many will continue using laptops and desktops.
BQ2001
AG
Company I work for doesn't have any desktops or laptops, everything is a virtual desktops. People that need to access desktops on the move can use a tablet to get in and do any of their work. Nice thing is the zero/thin clients have a pretty long lifespan so there isn't a need to refresh hardware as often, and if you do there isn't downtime for the user in setting up a desktop again. Also, if there is a new hire I can increase the pool by 1 (or 100) and the desktops can get set up automatically in about 5 minutes.
MouthBQ98
AG
The way things are going you'll have a smart terminal, like a laptop or small box computer that can do some small local processing, but mostly it is there to do security, network connectivity, graphics, and handle displays and peripherals for apps and software run off of some cloud somewhere. Most of the computing will be in some data center.
BostonAg74
Before I retired, I was helping a real estate developer transition his field guys from laptops to tablets for a variety of practical reasons including the ability to view and sign off on invoices while away from the office. He asked if he should just switch to tablets altogether. What I told him was that he shouldn't be thinking in terms of which single device is best or cheapest. He should be thinking in terms of making information accessible from any device and making sure that they all sync together as seamlessly as possible. When I'm doing real, nose to the grindstone work, nothing will ever replace the desktop with the 27" screen, but I love the fact that I can access, modify or forward what I produce on my desktop from any other device, from anywhere.
Slicer97
AG
sad state of affairs when CDUMB is the only one to post anything worthwhile on this thread
wbt5845
AG
I have a Linux workstation, so your argument is moot.
HC
OP probably thinks the thumb roller ball mouse is the best mouse
swimmerbabe11
I have a PC with multiple screens and would be pissed to lose them.

At home I prefer laptop if I only get to have one computer.

MooreTrucker
AG
tandy miller said:

And it's hard to work a trackpad with your off hand.
ThatOneAg
Haven't used a desktop in years.

Work laptop + (2) 27" monitors meets my needs.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I use a laptop with 3 screens at work. It's a yoga laptop that converts to a tablet and has a touchscreen. I disabled the touchscreen because I hate it, and I hate tablets. And track pads. Always have a wireless mouse. I don't think laptops are going anywhere.
TXAG 05
AG
wbt5845 said:

I have a Linux workstation, so your argument is moot.

Like that's even a real thing
playeroftheyear69
AG
...nerds
ac04
ViralAg
We switched to Surface Pros 2 years ago, but they are god ****ing awful. Tiny screens with tiny icons, tiny ****ty keyboards, horrible battery life, constant crashing. We're switching back to laptops over the next couple of months.
Out in Left Field
AG
Abraham Lincoln once said "If you cling to the past, you are sure to get left behind"

Not sure if he was talking about the American South or desktops, but it's pretty good advice.
The Fife
swimmerbabe11 said:

This. I couldn't even imagine how brutal it would be to try and navigate our 3D engineering models with a tablet. It's frustrating even thinking about it.
MooreTrucker
AG
ViralAg said:

We switched to Surface Pros 2 years ago, but they are god ****ing awful. Tiny screens with tiny icons, tiny ****ty keyboards, horrible battery life, constant crashing. We're switching back to laptops over the next couple of months.
We have Surfaces as our "traveling" laptops, and I hate 'em (we use two-monitor desktops day-to-day).
Hi, Im Brett
AG
BombayAg said:

Why do people say Laptops and Desktops are going away?

are they running?
boy09
AG
BombayAg said:

a Tablet which is a toy for fun and leisure.

You're using it wrong.
The Dog Lord
AG
Agreed that syncing and accessibility are most important to me. I'll always prefer multiple monitors and a standard keyboard and mouse, but I don't care if my actual device is a traditional desktop or a laptop/tablet that is docked or connected to these monitors. It's all the same to me as long as it's powerful enough to do what I need it to do.

For portability I prefer my Surface. It's worked well for me and is easier to take with me than a larger laptop. I still bring a normal mouse along though.
BombayAg
swimmerbabe11 said:

Tell me about it...! I have that at home and work.
Multi screen baby.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.