HS principal commits suicide in HS parking lot shortly after resigning

33,849 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rw1987
Fonzie Scheme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat me to it. Don't be a lazy critic, unless you want to post on the football board.
Bulldog73
AG
I saw that Wallis has filed a suit against BISD and board members demanding payment and jail time. All for some contempt of the gag order.

Link: http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Wallis-wants-Bryan-ISD-leaders-jailed-or-fined-430220193.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KBTX_Media
happyinBCS
If Wallis was worried about harming his employment future his latest stunt just sealed his fate. Is he really that stupid?
AggieKatie2
AG
What a piece of work. I had no knowledge of the guy until the principal suicide, but what a sleazeball. This is not someone I would want around my kids.
powerbelly
AG
happyinBCS said:

If Wallis was worried about harming his employment future his latest stunt just sealed his fate. Is he really that stupid?
Yes.
rw1987
AG
coupland boy said:

It's not unusual for ultimatums such as these to be given to district employees under these circumstances. It's also not unlikely that the Superintendent has a buddy or two waiti in the wings ready to hire. The more i see the more i believe cronyism within school districts needs to be cleaned up.

coupland boy
AG
rw1987 said:

coupland boy said:

It's not unusual for ultimatums such as these to be given to district employees under these circumstances. It's also not unlikely that the Superintendent has a buddy or two waiti in the wings ready to hire. The more i see the more i believe cronyism within school districts needs to be cleaned up.
Cronyism is rampant, especially in small districts. Superintendent's loading the board with their buddies and hiring their wives, cousins, etc. That used to be against the rules.

It used to be against the rules? When did it change? I've always thought the double standard that exists for Supers that allows them to hire their family was a holdover from the past that is past time to go away.
FishrCoAg
AG
rw1987 said:

coupland boy said:

Cronyism is rampant, especially in small districts. Superintendent's loading the board with their buddies and hiring their wives, cousins, etc. That used to be against the rules.

How can a superintendent load the board with their buddies? That's just not true. Districts do often find a job for a spouse because.it helps them hire the admin they want. The crap about cousins, etc is just BS.
coupland boy
AG
FishrCoAg said:

rw1987 said:

coupland boy said:

How can a superintendent load the board with their buddies? That's just not true. Districts do often find a job for a spouse because.it helps them hire the admin they want. The crap about cousins, etc is just BS.

The loading of boards with buddies part didn't make sense to me either.

But i disagree that allowing a super to hire relatives is any kind of a necessary incentive. Board members have to resign if their relatives are to be hired by a district. That's as it should be but why supers aren't precluded from hiring relatives is just beyond me. Maybe in west Texas if the next district is 80 miles away? Sure therr can be exceptions fir cases like that. But absent any special circumstances it's just a problem in the making in a lot of cases. It's a benefit that just shouldn't be allowed.
FishrCoAg
AG
coupland boy said:

FishrCoAg said:

rw1987 said:

coupland boy said:

The loading of boards with buddies part didn't make sense to me either.

But i disagree that allowing a super to hire relatives is any kind of a necessary incentive. Board members have to resign if their relatives are to be hired by a district. That's as it should be but why supers aren't precluded from hiring relatives is just beyond me. Maybe in west Texas if the next district is 80 miles away? Sure therr can be exceptions fir cases like that. But absent any special circumstances it's just a problem in the making in a lot of cases. It's a benefit that just shouldn't be allowed.

Was a board member in small town west Texas for 15 years. It is pretty much a necessity. As is finding jobs for coaches wives. Not ideal, but a fact of life.
TSUAggie
Hiring coaches wives was out of control at the school I attended. If the coach was married, you can be assured that his wife was also employed by the district.
coupland boy
AG
Quote:

Was a board member in small town west Texas for 15 years. It is pretty much a necessity. As is finding jobs for coaches wives. Not ideal, but a fact of life.

Look, i understand. I may or may not have been on a school board myself and therefore i may or may not have gone through a superintendent search process. In my opinion the pool of talent out there is very shallow. I'm being kind.

Were all of the spouses qualified individuals? Were the positions existing or were they created?

Also, is the same recruitment strategy applied to the recruitment of a good English or chemistry or math teachers? A superintendent's wife may unfortunately be a 'necessity perk' on some districts. But the hiring of coaches wives says a lot about our priorities i think. This whole topic makes me feel a little disingenuous when the topic of school funding comes up. I'm still for adequately funding our public schools but there's also some much needed cleaning up to be done as well.
coupland boy
AG
Oh yes. How does this relate to Wallis? I think it speaks to the power these guys have and maybe a bit of their arrogance.
FishrCoAg
AG
In every case I can think of the spouses were good educators. Often better than the sup or coach they were attached to, but we may have been lucky. And we were not creating positions at that time.

You are correct, it has nothing to do with Wallis. We did have one super who likely had a similar management style, but I'm not talking about that on a public forum.
coupland boy
AG
Understood. I've likely said too much as it is.

Glad y'all had good luck.
happyinBCS
I think a judge will rule on the possible contempt violation tomorrow. I feel like BISD is sitting good, we will see.
rw1987
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.