A tweet could send a man to prison for assault with a deadly weapon

5,965 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ogre09
PrincessButtercup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Um, what.

How a tweet could send a man to prison for years

Quote:

DALLAS None of it looks like deadly weapons, but two hands and one tweet could send a Maryland man to prison for aggravated assault.

"I think that's exactly what the state's alleging in this indictment. It's assault by Twitter," said Paul Saputo, a Dallas attorney.

Monday afternoon, a Dallas County grand jury indicted John Rayne Rivello, 29, on a felony charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Last Friday, the Department of Justice unveiled similar charges.

This case dates back to December 2016 after Kurt Eichenwald, a prominent Dallas-based author and journalist, revealed he has epilepsy.

Rivello got riled up about Eichenwald's online comments regarding President Trump, so the 29-year-old is accused of tweeting an animated GIF to Eichenwald which stated, "You deserve a seizure for your posts."

The actual tweet flashed different colors with a strobe effect and triggered a seizure in Eichenwald.

"Prison is definitely on the table," added Saputo. "Prison is definitely on the table in both the federal charge and the state charge."

Saputo said this case could set a precedent.

"Whether Twitter is a deadly weapon is something that I would probably argue against. Now that doesn't get him out of the assault charge generally, but it might reduce that from a felony to a misdemeanor," said Saputo.

When reached by phone on Monday afternoon, Rivello's father wouldn't say anything.

For prosecutors, proving intent with the words from that tweet might not be that difficult. But weaponizing social media is a frontier the courts have yet to explore.
Whitetail
AG
Warning, the picture below could give you and me a seizure:

H.E. Pennypacker
AG
You can be walking along a public street doing nothing wrong, have a crazy armed loon with a criminal history stalk you, and when you exercise your right to stand your ground and defend yourself, end up dead with the crazy loon free to continue assaulting people. It's a crazy world.
PatAg
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Um, what.

How a tweet could send a man to prison for years

Quote:

DALLAS None of it looks like deadly weapons, but two hands and one tweet could send a Maryland man to prison for aggravated assault.

"I think that's exactly what the state's alleging in this indictment. It's assault by Twitter," said Paul Saputo, a Dallas attorney.

Monday afternoon, a Dallas County grand jury indicted John Rayne Rivello, 29, on a felony charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Last Friday, the Department of Justice unveiled similar charges.

This case dates back to December 2016 after Kurt Eichenwald, a prominent Dallas-based author and journalist, revealed he has epilepsy.

Rivello got riled up about Eichenwald's online comments regarding President Trump, so the 29-year-old is accused of tweeting an animated GIF to Eichenwald which stated, "You deserve a seizure for your posts."

The actual tweet flashed different colors with a strobe effect and triggered a seizure in Eichenwald.

"Prison is definitely on the table," added Saputo. "Prison is definitely on the table in both the federal charge and the state charge."

Saputo said this case could set a precedent.

"Whether Twitter is a deadly weapon is something that I would probably argue against. Now that doesn't get him out of the assault charge generally, but it might reduce that from a felony to a misdemeanor," said Saputo.

When reached by phone on Monday afternoon, Rivello's father wouldn't say anything.

For prosecutors, proving intent with the words from that tweet might not be that difficult. But weaponizing social media is a frontier the courts have yet to explore.

Except Twitter is a voluntary site. The dude isn't forced to read any tweets sent to him, this is ****ing ridiculous.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I agree. That's absolutely insane. There's no way the accused could know his tweet would cause a seizure even if he knew the recipient had epilepsy.
Tanya 93
PrincessButtercup said:

I agree. That's absolutely insane. There's no way the accused could know his tweet would cause a seizure even if he knew the recipient had epilepsy.
How could he not know the flashing lights could trigger one?
PrincessButtercup
AG
Tanya 93 said:

PrincessButtercup said:

I don't know first of all that he knew about the epilepsy. But even if he did, there's no way someone without experience with the disease could really believe a gif could cause a seizure. I've always thought it'd take something much more significant like a strobe light than a gif. You can't prove he actually intended or knew he'd cause a seizure.
Tanya 93
PrincessButtercup said:

Tanya 93 said:

PrincessButtercup said:

I don't know first of all that he knew about the epilepsy. But even if he did, there's no way someone without experience with the disease could really believe a gif could cause a seizure. I've always thought it'd take something much more significant like a strobe light than a gif. You can't prove he actually intended or knew he'd cause a seizure.
Well, he hoped it would happen. He got lucky.

Now he may have a record for it.
Slicer97
AG
Both parties need to be castrated as both are too damn stupid/genetically inferior to add their progeny to the welfare system.

I really hate people nowadays. I mean, you guys are mostly ok. Well, not Human. That sawed off runt needs deporting even if he was born here. And toucan. What he does to the livestock....I mean,....wtf?
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
You can disagree with the charges, but you are obviously not familiar with the purported facts of the situation. I think you will be decidedly less sympathetic to the D when you read up on them.
CDUB98
AG
Hmm. This is a tough one. I can see a point in both sides of the argument.
PrincessButtercup
AG
You could be right but based on that article, it seems insane. I'll look for more info.
RAB87
AG
Snowflakes everywhere. Thanks Obama!
jpc08
AG
If you have epilepsy maybe you shouldn't be on a platform where you could be exposed to things that would trigger your seizures. Twitter isn't an inherent right that everyone is entitled to. Horrible precedent if found guilty.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This will be tossed out faster than a strobelight at an epileptic convention.
PrincessButtercup
OregonAggie
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

You can disagree with the charges, but you are obviously not familiar with the purported facts of the situation. I think you will be decidedly less sympathetic to the D when you read up on them.

Please opine kind sir. This seems like a stupid case to me.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
I opine this isn't that crazy. People get charged with online bullying, terroristic threats all the time. Those usually only involve emotional/physchological damage, with no physical contact between perpetrators and victims. in this case, the purported facts show the perpetrator knew the victim had epilepsy, knew he was susceptible to seizures, and intentionally sent him strobe gifs to try and trigger them (his stated intent to other twitter users, trying to coordinate a "strobe" attack with them). The strobe he sent then purportedly caused a seizure. You have intent and causation. It'll be an interesting case for sure.
aggiebq03+
If you have epilepsy and look at random **** on the internet, you are a dumbass.
ro828
The term that could result in the sender being sent to prison is just two words: malicious intent. The accompanying message about hoping the person receiving it has an epileptic seizure is what will hang him.
Joe Exotic
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

You can be walking along a public street doing nothing wrong, have a crazy armed loon with a criminal history stalk you, and when you exercise your right to stand your ground and defend yourself, end up dead with the crazy loon free to continue assaulting people. It's a crazy world.

I think you left out the part where the thug jumped the other guy.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Well, between the dead, unarmed and underage "thug" and his armed, adult "victim", only one has a criminal history of multiple assaults. So I guess it's all how you see it. If the left is guilty of sanctifying Martin, the right is equally guilty of absolving the transgressions of Zimmerman.
HC
Tanya 93 said:

PrincessButtercup said:

Because you touch yourself at night?
Joe Exotic
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

Well, between the dead, unarmed and underage "thug" and his armed, adult "victim", only one has a criminal history of multiple assaults. So I guess it's all how you see it. If the left is guilty of sanctifying Martin, the right is equally guilty of absolving the transgressions of Zimmerman.

Zimmerman is trash. But on that night he was attacked and dispatched a thug. Good on him.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Who doesn't brother?
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
I doubt you would be congratulating Martin had he wrestled the gun from Zimmerman, by your definition, also a "thug" and "dispatched" him. That's where the rub lies. I'm not saying Martin was an innocent, but Zimmerman seems like an overly aggressive and unstable person that seeks confrontation. He found what he was looking for and pulled a gun when it kicked his ass.
Joe Exotic
AG
Once Zimmerman got attacked at night by a thug it was on. Tough ****. Being a dumbass thug has consequences.
HC
Zimmerman might be a POS, but if I had to run into him or Martin, I choose Zimmer
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
The difference is, you would have to run into Martin. Zimmerman would follow you at night. On the street. Makes you think. (Jackie Chiles voice)
HC
H.E. Pennypacker said:

The difference is, you would have to run into Martin. Zimmerman would follow you at night. On the street. Makes you think. (Jackie Chiles voice)
nope. Zimmer preyed on a thug. I'm not a thug. No reason to follow me
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
You just Texags assaulted Tanya. Seems pretty thuggish to me.
HC
H.E. Pennypacker said:

You just Texags assaulted Tanya. Seems pretty thuggish to me.
The Fife
Whitetail said:

Warning, the picture below could give you and me a seizure:

Does this one mean the wall just got higher?

AliasMan02
AG
The fact that people kept calling it "assault with a deadly weapon" and not "aggravated assault" almost hung my jury. Several jurors were saying not guilty because we didn't know for sure what the weapon was, therefore couldn't identify it as "deadly." This is of course despite clarity on this point by the prosecutor during selection.

People are dumb.
BostonAg74
I opened this thread thinking it was about Trump. I am so disappointed.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.