So "healthy foods" are too expensive for SNAP users to buy...

6,107 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LupinusTexensis
Dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
staticdoor
AG
Kee Kee said:

People used to live on a lot less and not complain
Did they also walk uphill 5 miles in the snow both ways to get to and from school?
PseudonymK
AG
No. They lived in Texas.
Tanya 93
So I am looking at this week's ad for HyVee

for the month

Skippy crunchy peanut butter--1.48
5 poundbox of clementines--4.97
3 12 packs of Coca-Cola/7 up/Dr Pepper--9.00
chicken drumsticks or thighs--.99 cents a pound
1 roll of breakfast sausage--1.00
1 pound of carrots--.77 cents
1 pound bag of shrimp--5.99
Dole bagged salads--1.88 each
ground round beef--3.99 a pound
1 pound of bacon 3.99
1 tub of HyVee cottage cheese--1.29
HyVee frozen veggies--4 bags for 5.00
Quaker Oats--3.48 a canister
pasta-1.00 for 1 pound package.
pork chops-1 dollar each
6 ounce marinated chicken breasts-3 for 5 dollars

You can totally eat as a single person on 150 a month and even have some variety if you buy on sale and eat simply.
GinaLinetti
AG
I spend 100-200 on groceries/household stuff
I just don't buy much processed stuff.
Mostly veggies protien and cheese.
This last month I don't think I spent more than $150 it's not hard.
B-1 83
AG
GetThoseKeysMilo said:

A lot of store-bought spaghetti sauces are loaded with sugar. Combine that with high carb pasta, and you might as well be eating cake for dinner.
Don't eat so much of it.
Tanya 93
B-1 83 said:

GetThoseKeysMilo said:

A lot of store-bought spaghetti sauces are loaded with sugar. Combine that with high carb pasta, and you might as well be eating cake for dinner.
Don't eat so much of it.
Or make your own.
boboguitar
AG
Kee Kee said:

People used to live on a lot less and not complain

People used to understand inflation as well.
vin1041
AG
But it's fruit!!!
Senator Blutarski
AG
I once ate an entire chicken in one sitting during college. And, honestly, it felt a little more caveman than just eating a 1/4 or a 1/2 of one.
PseudonymK
AG
HEB

Top sirloin steaks- $4/lb
Assorted pork chops- $1.47/lb
Salmon filets- $9/lb
Boneless,Skinless Chicken Tenders- $3/ lb
Premium bacon, 12 oz- 2 for $6
Blackberries, 6 oz- $0.97
Apples, pears, or large oranges- $0.97/lb
Rotisserie Turkey Breast- $8
Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops, Apple Jacks, or Corn Pops- 2 for $7
Goldfish 5 for $5
Campbell's soup (2) + saltine crackers for free
HEB brand thin sliced breast (2) + brown & White rice; dole spinach, shredded lettuce, or coleslaw; sweet tea for free

Roughly $80 without Coupons.com, Red Plum, Smart Source, or digital coupons from HEB.

No taxes
62strat
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Wal-mart rotisserie chickens are 5 bucks and last a family of 4 2-3 days and is WIC approved and comes pre cooked.

I can eat one of those in about 3-4 meals.. no way that lasts a family of 4 that long.
JSKolache
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I think the concept they miss out on is "supplemental". Maybe don't spend the rest of your money on lotto tickets, cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs and that food dollar will stretch a little further
It was ironic when those lib congressmen a few years ago tried the food stamp challenge by only living on whatever the going rate was at the time. I'm like duh ... you jokers just renamed it "SNAP" but I guess you forgot that the "S" stood for supplemental. Or you didn't read the bill - classic!!
agnerd
AG
I averaged $101.67 / month last year. That comes out to $3.38 a day. And I don't set a budget at all. I just pick up the ad on my way into the store and buy the stuff on sale that I like. That includes ribeyes and blue bell every time they're on sale. Looking back though, I saved a ton of money on breakfast and lunch. Bowl of cereal, milk, and a banana are just a few cents a day. Even eggs, bacon and toast are only 50 cents a day and usually fill me up so that I don't want lunch. Sandwich, chips, fruit, coke, and cookies for lunch are around a buck. Leaves ~$1.88 a day for dinner/dessert. Of course ribeyes go over the average, but things like nachos, sausage, burgers, hot dogs, pasta, chicken, ground beef dishes, and salad are way under the average.

I already buy what I want for $102 a month. If you forced me to spend $150, guess I'd eat out more to bring the average up.
hangman
Rice, Beans, Potatoes, Chicken, Eggs, Bananas, Bread, Peanut Butter.

It's what a lot of people eat anyways. You're not supposed to be living high on the hog if you can't afford your own stuff. Most of that stuff is a main staple of most people's diets anyways so its not some huge step down.
PseudonymK
AG
hangman said:

Rice, Beans, Potatoes, Chicken, Eggs, Bananas, Bread, Peanut Butter.

It's what a lot of people eat anyways. You're not supposed to be living high on the hog if you can't afford your own stuff. Most of that stuff is a main staple of most people's diets anyways so its not some huge step down.

Protein, fiber, carbs, starch, and sugars! Add some dairy, malt o meal, ground beef, and lunchmeat.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I'm always looking for deals on meat. I've got a full freezer and a full deep freezer, but I'll still buy stuff that goes on sale.

We grind all of our own meat. My grinder and vacuum sealer have paid for themselves many times over.

We recently found chicken legs for $.58 a pound and eggs for $.80 a dozen. Bought plenty of each.

I always buy a few dozen pounds of salmon when it goes on sale in the summer.

You can eat incredibly well pretty inexpensively if you try, but I can't imagine only spending $100 a month. The two of us spend about $500 on groceries a month.
boboguitar
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

I'm always looking for deals on meat. I've got a full freezer and a full deep freezer, but I'll still buy stuff that goes on sale.

We grind all of our own meat. My grinder and vacuum sealer have paid for themselves many times over.

We recently found chicken legs for $.58 a pound and eggs for $.80 a dozen. Bought plenty of each.

You can eat incredibly well pretty inexpensively if you try, but I can't imagine only spending $100 a month. The two of us spend about $500 on groceries a month.

See, I can't imagine spending $500. There's 3 of us and our grocery bill is $70-$100 a week. At most $400 a month but rarely ever that. That's also with eating out only once a week.
CrottyKid
AG
Hell, healthy food is too expensive for ME to buy.
AgEng06
AG
boboguitar said:

Esteban du Plantier said:

See, I can't imagine spending $500. There's 3 of us and our grocery bill is $70-$100 a week. At most $400 a month but rarely ever that. That's also with eating out only once a week.
Geez. We spend close to $1K at HEB each month. That includes household items as well, but our grocery bill is far more than $400. That's for 2 adults, a 5 y/o, and a 1 y/o.
ursusguy
AG
Family of 3, we allow ourselves up to $100/week, generally shopping at Albertson (wife). I shop at Aldi or Cost Plus given the choice.
superunknown
AG
Cake for dinner
EFE
AG
superunknown said:

Cake for dinner

Cake eaters
superunknown
AG
atag
AG
I spend a lot more on groceries but we both work a lot so we do buy a lot of convenience food. When I was on maternity leave we saved soooo much money because I had time to shop and plan meals. If I didn't have a job I could easily feed a family of 4 on 100 a month....and feed us well.
Dad
AG

LupinusTexensis
I would probably knife a b for some flamin hot Cheetos right now.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.