The Mandela Effect

13,272 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TriAg2010
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DrZ said:

This whole thing is so odd. People now have created alternate universe theories rather than admit they were wrong?
I asked a young guy at work on why they call it the Mandela Effect. "Because everyone thinks that Nelson Mandela died in prison when he didn't !!!!!!"
Do people really think that?

Again, being wrong has nothing to do with it. It's the bizarre phenomenon of common/shared incorrect memories.
tford12
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

I thought the Berenstain Bears were the Berenstein Bears early on?
I don't know why the authors (Stan and Jan Berenstain) would spell their name wrong on the early books...
Sapper Redux
tford12 said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

I thought the Berenstain Bears were the Berenstein Bears early on?
I don't know why the authors (Stan and Jan Berenstain) would spell their name wrong on the early books...

Because in the alternate universe, their names are Berenstein. Look, I get it, you've existed in this reality your whole life and don't understand how disorienting it is for those of us who moved universes.
Flashdiaz
AG
so the Mandela Effect is a cute name probably created by a millennial rather than admit they are just wrong.
mhayden
Do all of your internet phenomenons revolve around Jim Carrey movies?
The Wonderer
AG
HustlerAggie said:

FOUR THIN INCHES said:

They're thinking of Kazaam starring Shaquille O'Neal: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazaam
If you tell them that, they get very angry and shout that isn't what they are talking about. (read the linked article; some guy who worked at a video store in the 90s swears that it was there)

There are even websites that give the entire plot of the movie scene by scene. (of Shazaam, not Kazaam)

I am of your opinion that it is a collective mis-remembering, but look around; They will have none of it.
Had this exact conversation with a bartender two weeks ago. She refused to believe that she was thinking of Shaq in Kazaam.
Beer Baron
AG
The ones that get me are the ones that insist South America used to be directly under North America.
Cancelled
AG
free_mhayden said:

I think so. Ha ha ha
Ragoo
AG
The Mandela Boys become Mandela Men

wbt5845
AG
So there IS an alternate timeline where Buckley dished out The Hit?
HustlerAggie
free_mhayden said:

I think you are on to something. Maybe Jim Carrey is the one drawing the parallel universes together.

cue X-files music.
HustlerAggie
The Wonderer said:

HustlerAggie said:

FOUR THIN INCHES said:

They're thinking of Kazaam starring Shaquille O'Neal: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazaam
If you tell them that, they get very angry and shout that isn't what they are talking about. (read the linked article; some guy who worked at a video store in the 90s swears that it was there)

There are even websites that give the entire plot of the movie scene by scene. (of Shazaam, not Kazaam)

I am of your opinion that it is a collective mis-remembering, but look around; They will have none of it.
Had this exact conversation with a bartender two weeks ago. She refused to believe that she was thinking of Shaq in Kazaam.
I believe it. I had a conversation with someone who got angry when I suggested the Shaq/Kazaam thing.

Then I saw the above linked article later in the first post and realized it was a thing that lots of people had. Crazy.

GMM
That's a poor photoshop
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

"Because everyone thinks that Nelson Mandela died in prison when he didn't !!!!!!"

Do people really think that?
This.
Drawkcab
Cell phone radiation is causing this. The more people post this kind of stuff and then refuse to disconnect their phone from the internet before holding it up to their heads the more incorrect information will seep into their brains.

Soon we'll all be idiots making up our own delusional fantasies and believing them to be true.
Beer Baron
AG
Also I think you're discounting the role vaccines play in all this. In my old universe no one gets vaccinated and those of us who lived until adulthood never had things like this happen to them.
toucan82
that's only because so few of you survived to adulthood
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
queso1 said:

One more not mentioned: people think Lector said "hello Clarice". He didn't. Again, I can blame this on Carey. He said "hello clarice in Cable Guy"

I don't remember that quote either.
CDUB98
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

queso1 said:

One more not mentioned: people think Lector said "hello Clarice". He didn't. Again, I can blame this on Carey. He said "hello clarice in Cable Guy"

I don't remember that quote either.
I could swear he did.

Maybe he did in a trailer, and that is where everyone gets it from.

Damn, the Matrix has me.
Human
AG
"I'm pretty sure I wiped my ass clean, but somehow it's not..."

-Mandela effect
HustlerAggie
Human said:

"I'm pretty sure I wiped my ass clean, but somehow it's not..."

-Mandela effect
"I swear the check is in the mail."

-Mandela effect
JJxvi
AG
The monopoly man has a top hat, so I think its just a general, mashing of "top hat and monocle" characteristics like say The Penguin in most batman properties. I think people probably have some difficulty if you asked something like "does the pringles guy have a top hat" in a similar vein, because the pringles guy has the same mustache and bowtie combo as the monopoly man. I bet there are even people who think the pringles can guy has a monocle out there, because its also got a mental tie in with being on a can just like Mr. Peanut too.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Humphrey Bogart never said, "Play it again Sam" in Casablanca

Sherlock Holmes never said, "Elementary, Dear Watson" (in the books)
HustlerAggie
Who else remembers New Zealand being to the NE of Australia?

It ain't. Go look at a map.
The Wonderer
AG
HustlerAggie said:

Or Alaska next to Hawaii right off the coast of California?

Oh, wait..
Claude!
I wonder...if people had a false memory that Gandhi died in prison in the 1920s, would this be called the Mandala Effect?
TXAG 05
AG
HustlerAggie said:

New Zealand hasn't moved. Maybe your school just couldn't afford good maps.

powerbelly
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

Do people really think either of these?
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Do people really think either of these?

"Play it again, Sam" was part of the lexicon for the last half of the 20th century, so yes
However I don't really consider that as the Mandela Effect. It's just a misheard line that gained traction. I believe Bogart actually says "Play it, Sam." Pretty damn close and a far cry from an entire movie that never existed.
TyHolden
AG
RIP sinbad...you keep dying
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I remember the dang song and spell it right. "My bologna has a first name it's OSCAR my bologna has a second name it's MAYER." You are just stupid if you think it is meyer.
CivilAg10
AG
I ran into the Sinbad issue a few years ago and tried to back trace why I was remembering it incorrectly. This is what I pieced together:

Aladin and Sinbad (sailor) are both characters in The Book of 1001 Arabian Nights. The stories of Aladin and Sinbad were both popularized in movies/tv when I was little. (Note, I knew of sinbad the sailor before sinbad the actor). Aladin left a greater impression on me than Sinbad the sailor, and since I knew the were connected through 1001 nights, I would usually think of Aladin whenever I heard Sinbad.

My thought is that when I think of a "genie", I automatically think of Aladin. However, I'm only familiar with the cartoon portrayal, so when I try and visualize the human genie, the wires get crossed in my head and I simultaneously think aladin/1001 nights/sinbad, and Sinbad's face registers instead of Shaq's.

The above is a more complicated illustration of what someone earlier mentioned regarding the Ace Ventura/monopoly man monocle. An impression was made and it stuck.

Based on the examples listed in the OP, I'd wager that each of these mixups can be traced to an impressionable event from our younger/childhood years. Like Mandela dying in prison....I never get mixed up about that (because I don't recall knowing of him while in prison), but I bet the people that do can trace back to an event when they were a kid where that impression was made.

ETA: With Mandela, my theory is that the use of the adjective martyr when he was in prison is what makes people 'remember' that he died while incarcerated. Again, for a kid, the word martyr likely had connotations of death since religious (religious martyrs, etc)
Ag 11
AG
Sinbad the comedian dressed up like Sinbad the sailor for some TV marathon or something one time.

Twelfthman
AG
HustlerAggie said:

nickstro66 said:

What's the last line of "We Are the Champions"?
You would think "of the world", but it isn't.

It is, however, repeated several times in the song, which is why people mistakenly assume that is how it ends.
The live version, however, does end with "of the world".
ClickClack
AG
CrottyKid said:

Anyone remember the Black Eyed Peas song that said, "Let's get re tarded in here"?

Yes. I have that version on a cd. They changed it after the initial release bc it wasn't PC. But I have the re tarded version as proof.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.