Best gun for home defense

8,749 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by tamutaylor12
SRBS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A Hattori Hanzo sword
Knife_Party
Shotgun is great because it requires less accuracy. You can also get shot that won't burst through the walls as easily which is great if you have children.
GAC06
AG
quote:
Shotgun is great because it requires less accuracy. You can also get shot that won't burst through the walls as easily which is great if you have children.

Lol
OCEN99
AG
Post removed:
by user
OregonAggie
AG
My exwife. ***** will try to cut someone's balls off.
80s Guy
Gerald Tarrant
quote:
A Hattori Hanzo sword
TheCougarHunter
AG
Buckshot will penetrate walls more than a 5.56mm ar bullet will

The amount shotgun pellets spread across a room is minimal so you're just as likely to miss with a shotgun as you are a rifle

That being said if I had time for only one shot I would rather it be 12 gauge buck than a 5.56.
Motel California
S
The best gun for home protection is a trained German Shepherd dog

Your welcome
Reginald Cousins
S
Reginald Cousins
S
Wall penetration is a negative quality of a home defense round.
TheCougarHunter
AG
quote:
Wall penetration is a negative quality of a home defense round.
I know that, that's why I posted it here. The shotgun is not the perfect home defense weapon it's cracked up to be...read the rest of the thread
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
How many domestic shootings have you people been involved in?
Psych
AG
quote:
You really don't want kill said intruder. Check into these rubber bullets..

Wow. Just...wow.
MouthBQ98
AG
Gun should be able to be accessible and yet secure from children.

A woman should try out and select the gun she is comfortable with. 9mm and .380 auto of reasonable size are good candidates, as are .38 special revolvers. You want a gun she can operate, aim and fire accurately, which will be one of a medium size, as very small hang guns often have an unpleasant snappy recoil.

A shotgun with a full stock is ok, but it will have a condiderable recoil, less accessibility, no concealed carry flexibility, and no accuracy advantage in close. The advantage it has is raw firepower on a per trigger pull basis.

Training is considerably more important than the gun used, however, as is regular practice.

My wife picked out her own self defense gun, and went with a SIG P238. It has been very reliable and she is comfotrable using the gun and accurate shot with it.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
The only weapon a woman needs is a phone to call 911. Let the police take the intruder into custody and he'll be dead before sunrise.
Aggies Revenge
AG
I highly recommend this one. I mean if it helped the Fins kick the **** of the Soviets, then it will be great for keeping a low life street thug out of the house.

Chickenhawk
12 gauge pump, pdx1 home defender shells.

Wherever you hit the bad guy, a body part is coming off.
Post removed:
by user
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
For the scenario you described, depending on how much you (and especially your wife) plan to practice I think a shotgun or a good handgun could be a good option. For a shotgun, if your wife is small in stature and you don't see her practicing a lot something like a Remington 11-87 youth model could be a good option. It is small in size making it easier to handle, and is semi-auto so in a stressful situation she (or you) would not have to worry about operating the action. I have seen experienced shooters not do a full pump out shooting clays, so if you do get a pump be sure to practice with it. if you go with a handgun, again for a less experienced shooter i would personally go with something that is a full sized 9mm like a glock 17 or a S&W m&p. it is a decent compromise of fire power, capacity, and low recoil. it is also low enough priced that there should be no excuse to not practice with it. for your scenario i would think either of these would be good options, but if you go with the shotgun, i would not use anything but buckshot, except perhaps a slug.

now to dispel a few myths:
if you get a shotgun please do not hope to use the sound of chambering a round to scare anyone off. while it is a good idea in theory, i have never heard a specific example of it ever being done in real life. also, you have the risk on the other side of, if this person is armed and intends to do you harm, you have just let them know ahead of time that you are armed, and may have just escalated the situation before you are even in it. so while i won't say it will never work, i would caution you against this piece of advice.

also, my personal advice would be to discount the judge as a personal defense weapon (the pistol shooting .410 shells). i can detail the reasons if you would like but short story is, it tries to be a pistol and a shotgun, but doesn't really do either one very well and ends up giving up the strongest points for either platform.

Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
if you get a shotgun please do not hope to use the sound of chambering a round to scare anyone off. while it is a good idea in theory, i have never heard a specific example of it ever being done in real life.

While not exactly a home defense scenario, I have heard multiple firsthand accounts from LEOs of suspects initially being barricaded in their house or otherwise making it difficult on officers to make an arrest where all it takes is someone on the tac team racking a shell into the chamber of an 870 for the suspect to come peacefully.

Like I said, it's a bit of a different situation than home defense, but that sound is an extremely distinctive one and absolutely is a deterrent. To say otherwise is flat wrong. However, you are correct - you should never hope that just the sound scares someone off. If you plan on picking up that shotgun, be prepared to use it. It's just a nice bonus if the sound runs them off.

To answer the OP, I prefer a full-size handgun for home defense. Pick a common caliber that will be easy for the wife to shoot and won't be prohibitively expensive to go practice with. I don't like the idea of clearing my house with a long gun due to the fact that it won't be as maneuverable around corners. That being said, a shotgun is still a good choice from an ease-of-use and firepower perspective. A lot of it will be personal preference and comfort with the weapon.

Just my $0.02.
MasterAggie
AG
quote:
It is comments like this that drive home the point to NEVER take gun advice from anyone on the general board. Compete BS painted as a broad reaching fact.
haircut
AG
Why not just use an Easton or an old Arnold Palmer?
Badman
AG
quote:
if you get a shotgun please do not hope to use the sound of chambering a round to scare anyone off. while it is a good idea in theory, i have never heard a specific example of it ever being done in real life. also, you have the risk on the other side of, if this person is armed and intends to do you harm, you have just let them know ahead of time that you are armed, and may have just escalated the situation before you are even in it. so while i won't say it will never work, i would caution you against this piece of advice.
I have heard of it scaring people off, and if someone is breaking into my house the situation couldn't be more escalated. It's already life or death as far as I'm concerned.
Chickenhawk
quote:
quote:
It is comments like this that drive home the point to NEVER take gun advice from anyone on the general board. Compete BS painted as a broad reaching fact.

I was about to say troll, as no one can be misinformed enough to think buckshot penetrates more than 5.56....but then i remembered the rubber bullet/ear plug tweet...

But yeah. Wowzers.
MasterAggie
AG
00 buckshot can penetrate 4 walls spaced 10' apart but so can 5.56 even jacketed 55gr softpoints. This is just a bad place to be for any legit advice.
Xenu
Serious advice, if you are worried about wall penetration, use Glaser safety slugs in the handgun of your choice. If its a first handgun ever, I recommend the .38 special.
BBRex
AG
quote:
quote:
I have heard of it scaring people off, and if someone is breaking into my house the situation couldn't be more escalated. It's already life or death as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not saying it won't scare anyone off, but if the person who broke into your house is armed, that sound:

1. Lets them know you know they are there
2. Lets them know you are armed
3. Lets them know approximately where you are

In other words, you pretty much lose surprise.
VinnyTAMU
AG
My suggestion would be a suppressed handgun. My main two reasons for this are:
  • I want a free had to grab my kids if need be.
  • I don't want to temporally loose my hearing and become disoriented if I fire my weapon in my home.
Aggies Revenge
AG
My suggestion: go to the OB and ask them. You will get much better, common sense answers that will not cost you a fortune and are practical.
Badman
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm not saying it won't scare anyone off, but if the person who broke into your house is armed, that sound:

1. Lets them know you know they are there
2. Lets them know you are armed
3. Lets them know approximately where you are

In other words, you pretty much lose surprise.
I agree. I don't see #1 or #2 as a bad thing though. I just like putting the idea in their mind that there is a person in the house ready to use deadly force, and he/she doesn't have to be a really good shot to do so.
tamutaylor12
Not sure why I was posting under the other name. Thank you for the information everybody. I will go try out some stuff with my wife. If somebody comes in my house, it is likely a crazy person that intends me harm due to work related issues, not just a robber. It is not somebody that would be scared off by a sound, they are there for me, not belongings. I have no kids and am not worried about walls. Thanks again.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.