Work-Life Balance...

19,237 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by coupland boy
Post removed:
by user
Sea Gull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol this dewsh is white knighting for another dewsh on the internet. Good lord.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Exactly. Just because I get paid to have the sechsy time with lonely women, and I really enjoy it, it's up to me to define myself by what I do or see it as a way to get paid.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
Serious question... When scimis people eat Dots at the movie theater, is it cannibalism?
Scimitar
AG
quote:
I think its just that the olds were afraid of their employer. If you are a decent employee, its not hard to have a good work/life balance. There really is no reason to work more than 40 hours unless you just simply want it that way. If you don't want it that way, and you have it that way, its probably because you are a pushover or just inefficient at managing your tasks. If you can manage it accordingly for long enough, then it only gets easier to write your own schedule.

I think a lot of the *****ing and moaning is just because the younger generation wants what the 10 year employees have...but they want it right now....

Not all jobs fit neatly into a 9-5 routine...only the lolpoor ones
jh0400
AG
quote:
quote:
I think its just that the olds were afraid of their employer. If you are a decent employee, its not hard to have a good work/life balance. There really is no reason to work more than 40 hours unless you just simply want it that way. If you don't want it that way, and you have it that way, its probably because you are a pushover or just inefficient at managing your tasks. If you can manage it accordingly for long enough, then it only gets easier to write your own schedule.

I think a lot of the *****ing and moaning is just because the younger generation wants what the 10 year employees have...but they want it right now....

Not all jobs fit neatly into a 9-5 routine...only the lolpoor ones
Some have the ability to make the world stop every other Friday for their 9-80.
Scimitar
AG
9/80s
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Measuring the hours in the office as opposed to your overall performance.

I've had one job where I was told I had to be in at a certain time and could only leave at a certain time. That was a miserable 10 months.
Hi, Im Brett
AG

L = Legend = Lazy

hth
Scimitar
AG
quote:

Could not agree more. So then why do people gripe about jobs that take longer than 40 hours a week?
Charpie
AG
Your attitudes change when you have kids.
Scimitar
AG
quote:

And are female
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

Could not agree more. So then why do people gripe about jobs that take longer than 40 hours a week?

More like, why do people brag about the hours they work per week?
Scimitar
AG
Actually, it's bragging about how good life can actually be if you weren't a lazy Whitney millenial
Charpie
AG
quote:
quote:

And are female

Not always. Prior to being a parent and in my former career, I was on the road all over the country just listening to new bands. I would turn the trips into vacations.

Then I had a kid. My priorities deal with her, not my job.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
They have no problem working fewer than 40 hours, but feel entitled to work no more. It's as if they think their employer can't expect them to occasionally go above and beyond. These are the same people who are mystified why they are passed over for promotions, often chalking it up to "unfairness" or -- even better -- "discrimination".
Scimitar
AG
quote:
They have no problem working fewer than 40 hours, but feel entitled to work no more. It's as if they think their employer can't expect them to occasionally go above and beyond. These are the same people who are mystified why they are passed over for promotions, often chalking it up to "unfairness" or -- even better -- "discrimination".

Precisely
COOL LASER FALCON
I don't understand while y'all are turning this into a millennial issue. There have always been plenty of people who feel justified in their job performance because they punch the clock at 8:59 and 5:01 everyday.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
I don't understand while y'all are turning this into a millennial issue. There have always been plenty of people who feel justified in their job performance because they punch the clock at 8:59 and 5:01 everyday.

Because it was isolated. Now it's an entire generation
Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

And are female

Not always. Prior to being a parent and in my former career, I was on the road all over the country just listening to new bands. I would turn the trips into vacations.

Then I had a kid. My priorities deal with her, not my job.

Because you are female. It's the way you are wired. Men don't usually have this problem
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Actually, it's bragging about how good life can actually be if you weren't a lazy Whitney millenial
It's the bragging in general that's the problem. Why do you feel you have to measure your self-worth by what the General Board thinks of you? If your life is that good, then you really shouldn't need to come on here to brag about it.

And if you feel you need to brag, do so about stuff you do and see outside of work. Business trips, the hours you work, and flaunting how much you make don't count. Instead of posting a picture of the view from your office or your home, post a picture from Grand Cayman or something. That is a lot more palatable than bragging about how hard you work / how much you make. Everybody works, you are not special. If anything, you're the one that's coming off as a millennial in this situation. I don't see anyone that posts about their job nearly as much as you, complaining or otherwise.

And I say this because I generally enjoy your posting when it isn't about the above.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:

I disagree and think the demographics are just shifting. It used to be that the lazy people worked blue collar jobs. Now going through college and getting some mid-level white collar job is the lazy route. In my more recent experiences, the young people (millennials if you must) who are working those blue collar jobs are much harder working than their predecessors.
Scimitar
AG
And once again, you're missing the point. One allows you to do the other. I've never said what I make, I post about the same number of vaca pics and threads as the next guy.

What you call bragging, I call motivating. How many hours do you think business owners and executives work? If you really want to do well, you gotta work for it.

Finally, as Fonzie pointed out, those that shun such things are the first to complain about fairness.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:

I disagree and think the demographics are just shifting. It used to be that the lazy people worked blue collar jobs. Now going through college and getting some mid-level white collar job is the lazy route. In my more recent experiences, the young people (millennials if you must) who are working those blue collar jobs are much harder working than their predecessors.

That is an excellent point and one I've not considered.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I chose the lazy route and went into medicine.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
I chose the lazy route and went into medicine.

Good luck in your residency
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is an excellent point and one I've not considered.

Wait, being smart and working less "hard" is somehow worse than being handy and working a lot of hours a week? It seems the former would afford you a better work life balance whereas the latter would not. Maybe I am missing the point.
Scimitar
AG
You are using the point. The latter is now lazy, wants everything, doesn't have what it takes to get it beyond lobbying against "the rich" and whines about fairness.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
What you call bragging, I call motivating.

Lol. You, me, and everyone else on this board know exactly what you're doing, and it's not motivating.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:

Lol. You, me, and everyone else on this board know exactly what you're doing, and it's not motivating.

Says the one constantly whining about his job and lot in life. Plenty have contacted me privately for advice.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
You are using the point. The latter is now lazy, wants everything, doesn't have what it takes to get it beyond lobbying against "the rich" and whines about fairness.

Oh yeah, understand now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Says the one constantly whining about his job and lot in life. Plenty have contacted me privately for advice.

You brag about 10 times more than I "whine".
Ragoo
AG
And yet whining just once is too much.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, Scimi likes to say a whine a lot but I'm perfectly happy with my job, so don't know where he's getting it from.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I take time off when I start losing my edge and motivation. I took about 2 weeks of vacation this year, which is more than I normally do. There is no replacement for long hours and hard work to advance in your career. I don't understand the 8-5 mindset.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.