Cafemom, Mom Confessions and back to school!

4,748 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by GinaLinetti
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
2 boxes diaper wipes

What in the hell do they need these for?

Clean up after eating, gluing, painting etc...
GinaLinetti
AG
Pants pooping. It happens in kg
et98
AG
Just out of curiosity, why do kids need individual dry erase boards?
Tanya 93
quote:
Just out of curiosity, why do kids need individual dry erase boards?

They are great for writing words or doing math problems. You hold yours up when you are done and the teacher says yes or redo. It saves the endless sheets of paper doing in class practice. Means less garbage and less clean up.
AgSpirit581
AG
When our kids were in elementary school, the district put out a supply list and most parents went to either Target or Walmart and purchased a packet already compiled and shrink-wrapped. Then on the first day of school each teacher would have a list of supplies specific to that class/grade as well as "suggested" supplies which the teacher would store and dole out to needy kids throughout the school year.
superunknown
AG
quote:
Pants pooping. It happens in kg

I can go through 2 boxes on a long weekend if I'm not paying attention.
GetThoseKeysMilo
If the dry erase boards are for saving paper then why all the printer paper?
linwvr
It's not necessarily to save paper...it's more of an interactive lesson type of tool. You can have all the kids sitting at the carpet for a lesson, have them jot down a problem and all flash it up for you to see. You can check 20 kids understanding of a concept in 15 seconds. The dry erase markers are a little excessive, but have you ever seen what a kindergartener can do to a dry erase marker? Some of them think the harder you push, the better it writes..no matter how many times you tell them otherwise.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Most schools do not have chalkboards anymore. They have been replaced by dry erase boards. And classrooms have sets of individual small dry erase boards for the students to use.

I am involved with building an elementary school that has ****ing smart boards in it. SMART BOARDS!!!!! They even wanted one the God ****ed hallway!
Humorous Username
AG
quote:

I am involved with building an elementary school that has ****ing smart boards in it. SMART BOARDS!!!!! They even wanted one the God ****ed hallway!

Not sure what the problem with Smart Boards is. I'm sure 25 years ago people were amazed that schools were putting in dry erase boards. It's the wave of the future.
toucan82
Isn't that a little young for torture?
Tanya 93
I loved my smart board. We could do 3d renderings of sets.

GinaLinetti
AG
quote:
have you ever seen what a kindergartener can do to a dry erase marker? Some of them think the harder you push, the better it writes..no matter how many times you tell them otherwise.
The Real Blue-Eyes
AG
We have smart boards in skranita's class. She'll also be in the pilot program for getting an iPad (kept at school). She's going into first grade.

And along with all of the supplies you buy, the first "meet the teacher" day has a board with all sorts of extras to buy. In our class, in ranged from items from learning express to an extra box of staples. Most was gone before I got there and the parents happy to help. We also are asked to bring in snacks for their afternoon snack. Kindergarten ate lunch at 10:30. By 1, they were starving. Arson and I just went to Costco and loaded up on snacks as did many of the parents. Our class had so many snacks at the beginning if the year, they lasted all year.

But after paying for daycare, school is way cheaper.
Jerzzy
I don't remenber ever buying school supplies other than a backpack and lunchbox. All of our supplies woyld be on our desk the first day in a shrink wrapped package including book covers for us to take home that day and cover our books . Do any other schools still do this? Im guessing our supplies were included in our tuition

[This message has been edited by Jerzzy (edited 8/3/2013 1:51p).]
GinaLinetti
AG
Our school sorta does Jerzzy. Parents can purchase the supplies directly from the school or PTA. I think it's like 20.00. For our secondary schools, they all have 1 to 1 iPads. There is a usage fee, but they need very few other supplies. Maybe a couple notebooks, pencils etc.
PseudonymK
AG
I've seen the stuff the bus supplies while working at a few CSISD schools. Some schools request and store items that they never even use through the school year. Or they become stingy with what the parents have bought.

They don't give the children backpacks or lunchboxes. And bringing a snack every once in a while is ok. What is wrong with the kids bringing their own snack? How do they use all the can tops, boxtops, and Kroger dollars? Why should I buy wrapping paper, magazine subscriptions, or candles?

quidam65
quote:

2 boxes diaper wipes

What in the hell do they need these for?

La-a (pronounced Ladasha--remember, the dash don't be silent) can't be expected to clean her own kid.

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this. -- Anonymous
persona non grata
quote:
I'm on her side: that's a lot of **** for a kid in kindergarten

Especially for someone with a low income.
fta09
AG
quote:
Especially for someone with a low income.

Not when you get quadruple digits back from the government every year but waste it on iPhones, TVs, Jordans, etc.

[This message has been edited by fta09 (edited 8/5/2013 1:52p).]
toucan82
Who r yew to say it's wassting 2 git nise things 4 there kids?
MrsHouston98
the real blue eyes gets it.
rhoswen
AG
quote:
iPhones, TVs, Jordans

Fify
Tobias Funke
AG
Anyone who says a scientific calculator serves the same purpose as a TI-83 has never played Snake in Chem lab
fta09
AG
quote:
quote:
iPhones, TVs, Jordans

Fify

Sorry. It was 1:20 am IYKWIM.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
quote:
iPhones, TVs, Jordans

Fify
linwvr
What's wrong with smartboards in an elementary school? We do math, phonics, calendar, pretty much ever lesson of the day on a smartboard. Do you have experience in an elementary classroom setting to be so upset about this?
p1 Claire
AG
quote:
quote:
iPhones, TVs, Jordans

Fify

Thank youuuuuuu!!!!!
rhoswen
AG
Phellow grammer Nazi's UNTIE
Tanya 93
quote:
Phellow grammer Nazi's UNTIE
ccard257
AG
quote:
What's wrong with smartboards in an elementary school?

the problem is not the smartboard. The problem is that someone has to pay for the smartboard. the even bigger problem is that those who pay for the smart board via their taxes are then being asked to pony up even more for additional school supplies or fees or whatever else because the cost for the smartboard is not being offset by cutting something else. This tends to upset those who a) have to pay for it and b) recognize that we managed to educate generations of kids, arguably better than we do today, without things like smartboards.
rhoswen
AG
we should definitely NOT use modern technological advances to educate our children because hey, an abacus was good enough for the greeks, amirite???
ccard257
AG
that's not the point. the point is that we shouldn't use technology just for the sake of using technology if it brings with it costs that only spiral upwards. The ipad earlier is a good example. If by buying the ipads you can eliminate a bunch of books that you need to buy every few years, lots of paper, dry erase boards, etc. then yes absolutely get the ipads. If you just buy the ipads because they are the latest cool technology and still buy all that other stuff, then people should get a little pissy, imo.
tford12
AG
im tired of all this actual discussion. need MOAR BSC quotes!
GinaLinetti
AG
From our district.
quote:

tech hs
1 Pkg. Ear Buds
1 Flash Drive (Memory Stick compatible with MacBook Pro)
1 Backpack or Bag appropriate for safely transporting laptop to and from school.

Reg hs
1 11⁄2" three ring binder
1 package #2 pencils (or mechanical)
1 package pens (blue or black)
2 packages notebook paper (wide or college ruled)
2 pocket folders with brads
2 composition notebooks
1 package of dividers
1 TI 83 or TI 84 Calculator (optional, but recommended)

***$30 Technology User Fee will be required on the first day of school ***

Ms

1 3 ring binder
4 pkgs. dividers (5 tab)
4 composition books
4 pkgs. notebook paper
2 boxes facial tissues
1 pencil bag
1 dozen #2 pencils (mechanical preferred)
1 pkg. pens (black)
1 dozen colored pencils
1 pkg. highlighters (2 pack)
3 pkgs. 3x5 index cards (ruled) 3 glue sticks
1 hand-held pencil sharpener 1 pkg. earbuds

Kg list
1 pkg. white construction paper
1 pkg. assorted colors construction paper 4 folders with pockets & brads
2 spiral notebooks
2 boxes facial tissues
1 pencil box
1 dozen #2 pencils
1 pkg. of markers
2 boxes of crayons
1 pkg. of dry erase markers (4 pack)
2 bottles of glue
2 glue sticks
1 box of quart size bags (girls) 1 box of gallon size bags (boys) 1 pkg. hand wipes (boys)
1 hand sanitizer (girls)

If a parent doesn't think that all that will be used, they are delusional. And you can tell which schools have 1 to 1 iPads/computers
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.