Cafemom, Mom Confessions and back to school!

4,749 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by GinaLinetti
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am waiting for my computer to arrive on the moving truck to get back to the BSC.

This mom is being schooled today.

quote:
**** them. They can provide the supplies from the money from my rent. I have 6 kids in school. This list would cost me at least 800 dollars. I have twinsin kindergarten and they want

4 boxes crayons, 3 pakages colored paper, 2 pairs sissors, 12 dry erase markers, 3 boxes markers, 2 boxes diaper wipes, large bottle of hand santizer, 2 cans lysol, dry erase board, quart size and gallon baggies, 2 white tshirts, 18 glue sticks, 48 pencils, 2 journals, 5 folders in different colors, 3 boxes map pencils, index cards, cardstock, 3 pakages printer paper, and we need to give a class snack every 3 weeks.

My jh and hs kids need flash drives, pens, 4-6 binders depending on grade, 3 of them need 100 dollar calculators, paper, pens, colored pencils, regular pencils, headphones, and a 25 dollar fee for the computer labs.

**** THIS ****!

quote:

That's not what taxes pay for it pays the high wages of the Superintendent start there if you want to *****. Then it pays the wages of all other employees there plus the supplies needed to clean the school for the utilities to make the school run.

It's your job as a parent ( you did have them not the school) to provide supplies for your child(ren)

quote:
School costs should have been something that was considered along with other costs when determining if you could afford to have a child, or 6.

quote:
Don't have kids you can't afford. School supplies aren't new.

quote:
You can't be serious. Property taxes pay for the teachers, other staff, and the school building itself, all the desks and other equipment the students use.

quote:
If you rent, you don't really pay property tax, your landlord does. The property tax on cars is pretty damn low, and doesn't account for much. How about us homeowners get free supplies and renters cover their's?

School supplies are not that expensive. Hell with proper planning you can stock up throughout the year.

quote:
Property taxes pay for everything else. If schools stopped asking parents to buy school supplies, property taxes would be raised to make up for the difference. You're going to pay either way you look at it.
Holly Golightly
AG
Love it!!
HeadGames
AG
That is a lot of sex trophies
Ag_EE
AG
Are you sure this is from the BSC? Where's the name calling, profanity, and hate? What's up with the proper grammar and sentence structure?
CoppellAg2009
AG
Wow. Just sad.

Did I miss a thread regarding the Zimmerman acquittal? I'll bet that was highly entertaining.
Tanya 93
I stated I have to get my stuff here to get back to the BSC.

The Zimmerman thing basically shut down the board for a few days with overload.

toucan82
I'm on her side: that's a lot of **** for a kid in kindergarten
Ag_EE
AG
You'll need to translate then as they won't understand your responses.
BadAttitude

[This message has been edited by SmilingBob (edited 8/2/2013 3:38p).]
Post removed:
by user
AustinTownHallAg
AG
Weird takeaway, if you pay rent, you are paying property taxes, but on behalf of your landlord. That cost is built into the rental rate. Also, lets stop debating whether abortions should be widely available. They should, because stupid FN people have 6 kids.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
superunknown
AG
quote:
colored paper
Cromagnum
AG
Should definitely troll how people without kids are paying a large chunk of taxes to schools to supply all her chirrins. For that matter, it sounds like she needs to go back to school from her spelling.
nai06
AG
I just added all that up and it comes out to 655.04 with tax. that's if you don't look for deals and you actually have to buy everything she listed (I suspect she doesn't).
Tree Hugger
AG
quote:
Should definitely troll how people without kids are paying a large chunk of taxes to schools to supply all her chirrins

especially since the amount of Obama money she gets through food stamps, welfare, Section 8, tax refunds, Barryphones etc. likely adds up to much more than her income (if any)
Ag_EE
AG
And don't forget she gets a tax refund too
ABATTBQ11
AG
Her kids don't need a TI-83 or 84 (only good $100 calculators out there). They just need to print out sine tables and know basic math...
nai06
AG
a used ti 83 will run you $39
ABATTBQ11
AG
Even then it's nothing special. Theres not a lot off difference between an 83 and any scientific calculator when your in high school...

Now, an 89, that's something totally different.

[This message has been edited by ABATTBQ11 (edited 8/2/2013 2:46p).]
fta09
AG
quote:
And don't forget she gets a tax refund too

This. Shouldn't have wasted it on iPads, TVs and tattoos.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Weird takeaway, if you pay rent, you are paying property taxes, but on behalf of your landlord. That cost is built into the rental rate. Also, lets stop debating whether abortions should be widely available. They should, because stupid FN people have 6 kids.

If abortions were free, can you imagine how many a person like this would have had?
et98
AG
I agree with her. Requesting all that stuff is BS. Why do kids suddenly need 4 boxes of crayons when I somehow managed to survive on 1? Did the Kindergarten curriculum suddenly start calling for 4 times as much coloring at some point the past 30 years? Has something in the environment altered the laws of physics causing the rate of crayon deterioration per stroke to increase 400%?

And why the F do they need 2 pairs of scissors? Nobody cuts with 2 pairs of scissors. If they break, THEEEEEN you can buy a new set, but don't force them to buy 2 pairs from the get-go. And 3 boxes of map colors? What kindergartener uses map colors anyway?

Dry erase boards and markers? What's that for? Don't they have chalk boards anymore?

Printer paper? A class snack every 3 weeks? You have got be f-ing kidding me!

I'm sorry, but I'm with the lady who started that thread. I'm all for providing school supplies, but they need to be justifiable.

Also, do they have to bring all this crap on the 1st day? How about we split that crap up into 2 halves so it doesn't have to waste space in the corner of the classroom.

Growing up, a lot of this crap was provided by the school. We had a big basket with fancy calculators in our trig class that we would use during the class period and return at the end. Chalk, dry erase markers, and printer paper were not school supplies.

Maybe this lady's school district should consider letting one or two of the 47 secretaries on campus go and ease up on the gouging of students' families.
kat1970
4 boxes of crayons... so they can put them all on the table and distribute evenly among all! I started buying enough only for my child and printing a label on every item, even the individual crayons!
agracer
AG
You're buying double, triple and quadruple to make up for the free lunch kids who bring nothing.
tylercsbn9
AG
quote:

You're buying double, triple and quadruple to make up for the free lunch kids who bring nothing.

This is the correct answer.
MrsHouston98
do you know how hard it is to keep up with the &$@&$ black crayons?
GinaLinetti
AG
All I ask for is glue sticks, crayons and Lysol.
Humorous Username
AG
quote:

This is the correct answer.

You're both (mostly) wrong.

My wife is a teacher, and, at her school, the extra items are put away (with the child's name on it), and doled out throughout the course of the year as the kids break and lose supplies. I don't agree with it either, but that's what happens at her school.

In regard to children who don't bring anything, I think you would be surprised at the amount of supplies some school receive thanks to "Stuff the Bus"-type programs along with donations from office supply companies.

If you have further education questions, feel free to ask, though I (or my wife in turn) may not answer.

EDIT: Forgot to add that in some districts, if a school wants to add something to the list, they have to take something of roughly equal value off the list as there is a cap set on the dollar amount of supplies they can request that children bring.

Also, my wife and I end up buying supplies every year so that all her kids have enough to learn with.

[This message has been edited by Humorous Username (edited 8/2/2013 6:39p).]
toucan82
you should tell your wife not to give them things: they need to learn that being poor means you don't always get the same things as other people so they should try not to be poor
Humorous Username
AG
quote:
you should tell your wife not to give them things: they need to learn that being poor means you don't always get the same things as other people so they should try not to be poor

My sarcasm meter is sky high after reading that.
pdc093
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
School costs should have been something that was considered along with other costs when determining if you could afford to have a child, or 6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A+

Tanya 93
I thought Benny wouldn't have one.

He did.

One of the requests was 8 cans of play do
YokelRidesAgain
AG
quote:
2 boxes diaper wipes

What in the hell do they need these for?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
2007aggie
AG
Most schools do not have chalkboards anymore. They have been replaced by dry erase boards. And classrooms have sets of individual small dry erase boards for the students to use.

I also collected the extras, put them in a gallon size ziplock bag with the child's name on it, and stored it away for when they needed it. At the end of the year they took their bag home with whatever they didn't use.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.