*****Official Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread*****

479,819 Views | 7885 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Legal Custodian
ryanhnc10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Makes you wonder what would've happened if Suter plays the puck clean tonight and doesn't take a penalty. Oilers did nothing after that PP. Eff
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I think having Corey Perry back made a huge difference. I hate to say it. We nearly had them and then a switch flipped and they totally dominated us ever since.
Out in Left Field
AG
Kashchei
AG
Out in Left Field said:

Suter is a cancer on this club

We get another year of him. Thanks Jim.
joshpettett
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Rooting for EDM in the finals. They were the better team, their special teams were miles better than ours, and their G was better. Good season, crappy ending.

Yeah, **** them. The trash their fans behaved like with my family's exposure to them.... I hope Florida sweeps them.

And **** the NHL for fighting so hard to get a Canadian team in.
TV Casualty
AG
Silvertaps said:

FWAppraiser said:

2-1 series lead and a 2-0 lead, then...collapse. So disappointing.

Suter tackling Otter…then all went to hell

I hope the Stars buy him out in the offseason.
sburg2007
I'm in this boat. They aren't the POS fan base that vgk is. Their superstars were just that. Skinner played his butt off. They were just flat out better and sometimes that's sports.

I'm sad, bummed, depressed but that's sports. Final four is damn good.

Championships are freaking hard to win. Really freaking hard. Enjoy the ride.
FWAppraiser
AG
Silvertaps said:

FWAppraiser said:

2-1 series lead and a 2-0 lead, then...collapse. So disappointing.

Suter tackling Otter…then all went to hell

Suter also started last year's collapse against Vegas. Man, I hope he retires.
joshpettett
AG
sburg2007 said:

I'm in this boat. They aren't the POS fan base that vgk is. Their superstars were just that. Skinner played his butt off. They were just flat out better and sometimes that's sports.

I'm sad, bummed, depressed but that's sports. Final four is damn good.

Then you experienced different fans than we did
cupofjoe04
AG
We got outplayed for 3/4 of this series. I think the Stars had maybe the hardest path to the cup I've ever seen, and it clearly took a toll. We weren't physical, and were a step slower this series. Our atrocious PP caught up to us. We couldn't net a breakaway or odd man rush chance to save our lives for most of the post season. We didn't get robbed- we just couldn't crack their goalie or penalty kill. Plain and simple.

Really sucks for our elder statesman whose windows are closing. This felt like our best shot in a long time, and we got a "group of death" draw and just couldn't survive. No one to blame but ourselves.

We played some brilliant hockey this year, and certainly should hold our heads up high. Need to regroup and make another run next year. We have horses in the stable, and some bright young players.
Tksymm7
AG
You have to have a replacement. I think they want him gone. It's shown in the minutes decrease etc, but if you don't have anyone to replace him then he's coming back.
Muy
AG
Good season, Stars! Glad I'm watching the Aggie baseball team tonight!
sburg2007
Every fan base has *******s. As a whole, they're fine.
FWAppraiser
AG
I hope Suter retires. Use the money to sign Tanev. Bichsel will be with the big club, then you just need a #6.
micahb2002
AG
**** Edmonton and their dirty play and the cheatin refs. I hope Florida cornholes them in 4. They even had TV timeouts to gather themselves after Marchment's goal.
Tksymm7
AG
The stars HAVE TO get younger and faster once again. We were a lot better in that category this year, but there's still another step to take. Cut pavs lose, see if you can cut Suter loose, along with Faksa. Get faster, go get another d man and go at it again.
Tksymm7
AG
Yessir! It's time for Pavs and Suter to be done.
TV Casualty
AG
Tksymm7 said:

You have to have a replacement. I think they want him gone. It's shown in the minutes decrease etc, but if you don't have anyone to replace him then he's coming back.

He makes too much money and can be replaced by dudes in the AHL.

He's been washed for a couple years now and he makes terrible plays because he's afraid to take a hit.

This series isn't on him, but he's one of the guys that's kept this team from taking the next step.
cupofjoe04
AG
joshpettett said:

I really didn't see this at all. And I honestly don't think it's a realistic take that helps us actually fix our problems.

We got exposed in crucial areas by a team that played better than us at the end of the year. That's how slim the margins are in the finals. The Stanley Cup is the hardest championship to win, in my opinion. We got worn down by a brutal post season run, teams getting healthy and hot playing us. And the better team on the ice won more times than not this series.

Our boys played their butts off, but had just a little less in the tank.
FWAppraiser
AG
When I'm not so bummed I think I'll have some postmortem thoughts on this season.

Right now, I'm just genuinely bummed.

I said it several weeks ago, but this was the first time in a long time that I thought we had a great shot at winning it all. To come up short just stings.
I hate it for Pavelski because this was his last shot. I hate it for Benn because this may have been his best shot before his captaincy runs out (hope not). I just really hate that this group couldn't get it done.

Dallas is set up to be good for a while, but this team had such a great mix of young studs and veterans, and there are no guarantees.

I'm depressed.
Cappo
AG
we definitely have a window here to win a couple. We are young in many areas. Need to cut a few stragglers and make a couple good decisions and we can definitely be right back there.

Definitely thought refs helped EDM after game 2. We had fewer PPs this series than in VGK where very little was called both ways.

But we have a window here still 10000%
micahb2002
AG
Oilers were the 10th most penalized team in hockey and it showed the first game and subsequent games. We were the 2nd least penalized team in hockey, but NHL sent a message after Game 1 that Edmonton and McDavid were preferred. This was a screwing like the 2006 Mavericks Finals. Y'all can be lovable losers all you want but we did not get a fair shake at all from the Zebras. We had a good chance if this series was properly officiated. Evening out the penalty calls was a huge favor to Edmonton.
Tksymm7
AG
According to the contract #'s, if the stars were to buyout Suter's last year, it would cost them approximately 2.2 million dollars in cap hit spread out unevenly over two years. With almost 800k coming 2024-2025 and 1.4 in 2025-2026. That's not much if the cap is going to go up, but you also have to think about extensions and what not coming up. I think I'd do it.
FWAppraiser
AG
I would in a heartbeat. We have about $16M in cap space. The only RFA contract we HAVE to get done is Harley's. UFA-wise, it's Tanev, Wedgewood and possibly Duchene. The other guys, you can let walk because we have youth coming up, or you can re-sign for low dollar contracts.

And the cap is going up another $5M plus again the following season.
Tksymm7
AG
I'd let Tanev and Wedgy walk. Duchene id try to bring back at a slight discount. If he wants full price he can walk. It's time to embrace some youth. Blumel and Bourque are right there ready to contribute every day.
shack009
AG
You'd let Tanev go? He was a major part of the defense being so good down the stretch and in the playoffs. I figured he'd be a priority.
TV Casualty
AG
The money saved from buying out Suter and Hakenpaa's 1.5M coming off the books may get you 2/3 of the way to signing Tanev.

Suter might be able to be replaced by Petrovic at this point.

Hey, I've never been a fan of Suter's game. I thought Minnesota was crazy for giving him that contract. I'm probably biased against Suter in general.
joshpettett
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

joshpettett said:

I really didn't see this at all. And I honestly don't think it's a realistic take that helps us actually fix our problems.

We got exposed in crucial areas by a team that played better than us at the end of the year. That's how slim the margins are in the finals. The Stanley Cup is the hardest championship to win, in my opinion. We got worn down by a brutal post season run, teams getting healthy and hot playing us. And the better team on the ice won more times than not this series.

Our boys played their butts off, but had just a little less in the tank.

That's why suddenly officiating one team with the ticky tacky crap because they cried about it on TV is so abhorrent.
Slim margins. Take away the PP goals on the non-penalties or the things that are never playoff penalties unless the league wants to push something, and boom.
Tksymm7
AG
I just don't want to hitch my wagon to another defender looking at 35+ years old. Nightmares. Nothing against what Tanev did for us this season.
shack009
AG
Sure, not talking about matching a bad team willing to spend a bunch of money and maybe a longer term deal. But I think trying to get him to agree to a 1 or 2 year deal at a somewhat declining old man's price should be ok.

I'd think he'd want to come back since he doesn't have a cup and this is probably his best opportunity.
FWAppraiser
AG
Tanev would be my #1 priority, as long as he doesn't want a long deal. His PK and shot blocking can't be replicated by anything on the roster or in the AHL, and you're losing Hakanpaa and hopefully Suter.

Wedgewood I'd bring back on a 1-year deal. It's always a crapshoot going out to find a goaltender.

I'd love to see Duchene back, but I think he's the most replaceable with youth in the system and will comand a big contract. Then again, he has a great relationship with DeBoer, so who knows.
Tksymm7
AG
2 years then sign me up. I just don't want another Suter situation.
TV Casualty
AG
I wouldn't say that we have to sign Tanev, but it's tough to find good right shot defenseman in free agency. There were none really available last offseason.

I just kind of figure there might be an opportunity to sign him for a manageable cap hit if he wanted to come back.
Tksymm7
AG
I should've specified what kind of deal I would and would not have signed him for.
shack009
AG
Tksymm7 said:

2 years then sign me up. I just don't want another Suter situation.

For sure. Maybe I'm not being realistic, I really don't know what his market would be in terms of deal-length. Hopefully he liked the fit here and thinks he can help us win a cup in the next couple years.
First Page Last Page
Page 218 of 226

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.