Volleyball - Kuhn Out

8,411 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wicked Good Ag
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope for the best for the girls on the team.
JYDog90
AG
NoMasPorFavor said:

You are a real POS. Truly. Every post is so negative and you speak as if you are the second coming of Karch…..

I'm Done with this useless bellyaching site. And especially reading your nonsense for sure.

Pretty easy to spout off your crap without knowing anything about the program but just what you view, read and respond to.

Good for you. You're a great representative for an Aggie. NOT!!

User name fits.
Formerly Willy Wonka
coloradoag69
AG
I wish Coach Bird the best of luck going forward. She seemed like a really decent person.

As much as I truly appreciate all the hard work of our players, watching us trying to compete with the better teams we played made it obvious that our players were just not athletic enough. At some point, talent matters, and we just didn't match up well.

The other salient point, is that women's volleyball in the SEC is one of the few sports in which the league is not a national player. I know occasionally one of the SEC teams makes a run, but in general, the SEC doesn't have a final four or even an elite 8 team in the national tournament. So with the right coach, we have a chance to become relevant quickly.
HiddenAg2
This was a good sign for Bjork and that right decision. Need to hire a really good experienced established head coach that consistently makes deep runs in the NCAA tourney.
Gap
AG
Where A&M ranks in the state of Texas came up earlier. I can't say I've ever looked at the women's volleyball RPI before, but decided to give it a shot and thought it might be interesting to others.

State of Texas - Volleyball RPI - through games 11/20/2022
1. Texas
14. Rice
15. Baylor
17. Houston
41. TCU
44. Texas St.
57. Stephen F Austin
58. SMU
59. Texas - Rio Grande Valley
70. Texas A&M
71. Texas Tech
96. UTEP
111. North Texas
155. Texas - Arlington
169. Houston Christian (used to be Houston Baptist)
201. A&M - Corpus Christi
212. UTSA
222. Tarleton St.
238. Sam Houston St.
254. Abilene Christian
285. A&M - Commerce
301. Incarnate Word
330. Texas Southern
333. Prairie View

If I overlooked a Texas team in my scan, feel free to let me know and I'll add them.
Anchorhold
301. University of the Incarnate Word

*Not sure why I scanned it myself. Anyway...

Bird: Thanks & Gig'em.
Bjork: Don't screw this up.
NoMasPorFavor
I'm one of the best…Aggies want to win now….and there w lies the real issue.

It takes time.
We can't go with what Aggie volleyball was for 25 years under same coaching. Don't disagree w current coaches not being as productive as we all wished.
Nah I've got tough enough skin to listen to y'all some more.
But just because you give play by play to points and post a bunch REALLY doesn't justify some of your rhetoric. But since you obviously many all the others thinking like you, you win. After all that's what you want right? To win right now?

So let's have what's going on at other schools across the country. It's so easy to quit a team (use up a scholarship) that could be used to a DEDICATED Aggie at time of recruiting and fill up the transfer portal with young ladies that we have to teach life's lessons to that just because you don't get what you Think you deserve or need, you can run and get it somewhere else.

Ultimately that's the problem in college athletics. Way to easy to run vs facing the problems. Players need to look within and realize they CAN be part of something bigger.

21 plus years serving our country here. And I've never seen more quitting or negative talk from people ever.

Guess what in few years down the road you Al will be saying the same thing about someone else.

Aggies stand for a bit more than instant gratification.
But ultimately the 5year plan didn't pan out like planned. Agreed……

We can all agree to disagree…..that's what makes Americans great.
Gap
AG
Good catch. Updated above.
Ag4eva95
Agree to disagree, yes. Name calling, immature. We're civil here. All want the same thing. National championships and for TU to constantly turn in sub par losing seasons in all sports
Wicked Good Ag
Gap said:

Where A&M ranks in the state of Texas came up earlier. I can't say I've ever looked at the women's volleyball RPI before, but decided to give it a shot and thought it might be interesting to others.

State of Texas - Volleyball RPI - through games 11/20/2022
1. Texas
14. Rice
15. Baylor
17. Houston
41. TCU
44. Texas St.
57. Stephen F Austin
58. SMU
59. Texas - Rio Grande Valley
70. Texas A&M
71. Texas Tech
96. UTEP
111. North Texas
155. Texas - Arlington
169. Houston Christian (used to be Houston Baptist)
201. A&M - Corpus Christi
212. UTSA
222. Tarleton St.
238. Sam Houston St.
254. Abilene Christian
285. A&M - Commerce
301. Incarnate Word
330. Texas Southern
333. Prairie View

If I overlooked a Texas team in my scan, feel free to let me know and I'll add them.

If you took those top ten Texas teams and played a round robin of everyone with a healthy Lednicky (which we will hopefully have next year )

We do not finish behind UTRGV TCU (who we beat) Texas State or SMU in my opinion. SFA could be a toss up. We lost so many spots with the final few matches without Lednicky.
Signem
No offense rookie, but an Aggie does not LIE, CHEAT OR STEAL. When you say you are dropping off a site because you get your feathers out of place because of what someone says, and that same someone says goodbye. LEAVE!!!

At this point the 12th Man needs dinero, moola, greenbacks, that stuff you buy groceries with to grease the wheels. If all you can do is bellyache YOURSELF and not leave (like you said you would) it's time to start putting your money where your mouth (fingers) is/are to hold credence. That and start buying season tickets or all sports passes AND ATTEND THE FRIGGIN' GAMES. And if you have the ability and the time, FOLLOW your team as in show up at away games, I DO. The athletes LOVE it, and you'll be surprised how much an integral part of the whole process you'll become. For the sake of full disclosure, VB is NOT my sport, but seeing Kuhn had been given the boot I was curious to see what would be said. I personally think she came in behind a legend who had been allowed to overstay her usefulness. But that's the way the ADs operated back then, Ross doesn't. That can be good and bad, delicate balancing act.

Bottom line, PLEASE, if you're going to be so thin skinned as to get your panties in a wad with a few joking pokes either PLEASE shut up, or leave if you say you are going to.
country
AG
No need for name calling or hard feelings. Coach didn't put an acceptable product on the court and it wasn't even indicating advancement. She knows that and I'm sure she learned a lot and will change in the future and go on to become a heck of a coach. I hope that for her. But I guarantee she knows the program wasn't an acceptable level for a school like A&M. I wish her well, she wishes us well, and we all move on. Fans need to do the same.
russaggie
AG
Signem said:

No offense rookie, but an Aggie does not LIE, CHEAT OR STEAL. When you say you are dropping off a site because you get your feathers out of place because of what someone says, and that same someone says goodbye. LEAVE!!!

At this point the 12th Man needs dinero, moola, greenbacks, that stuff you buy groceries with to grease the wheels. If all you can do is bellyache YOURSELF and not leave (like you said you would) it's time to start putting your money where your mouth (fingers) is/are to hold credence. That and start buying season tickets or all sports passes AND ATTEND THE FRIGGIN' GAMES. And if you have the ability and the time, FOLLOW your team as in show up at away games, I DO. The athletes LOVE it, and you'll be surprised how much an integral part of the whole process you'll become. For the sake of full disclosure, VB is NOT my sport, but seeing Kuhn had been given the boot I was curious to see what would be said. I personally think she came in behind a legend who had been allowed to overstay her usefulness. But that's the way the ADs operated back then, Ross doesn't. That can be good and bad, delicate balancing act.

Bottom line, PLEASE, if you're going to be so thin skinned as to get your panties in a wad with a few joking pokes either PLEASE shut up, or leave if you say you are going to.
Some of the people on here on complete a-holes. Just because you watch or go to EVERY game doesn't mean you know jack about what goes on behind the scenes.
Someone came on here after last season and talked about what was going on within the program and why there was no retention of players and they were shouted down as if they were crazy. Someone comes on here recently and expresses their opinion about what they see and again are shouted down by the "experts" and told they don't know anything because someone else thinks they're an expert.
Maybe some of you should listen a little more and talk a little less and you will see why we are where we are today.
Was a change needed? Yes, absolutely! Was it solely because of wins/losses? Not necessarily.
Some of you really need to stop the self-righteous "I know everything because I go to more games than you" nonsense and realize people come on here that know more than you.
Ag4eva95
Can everyone take a break from roasting each other?

We're all not happy necessarily for Kuhn for losing her job. She seems like a great person. We are excited for the opportunity to bring in a new coach to hopefully bring in some wins. Everyone has seen the highs and lows of this program and we are definitely in an all time low. There are a few on here, like myself, that have watched and supported every match. We don't sit here and hope they lose. Some have experience in the sport and some don't. It's a community. I think everyone is an adult on here, I think. Although I question a few….
taylorswift13
AG
Imagine a world, where fans can be… fans
Houstonag
AG
Friends of mine who have daughters and grand daughters had not even considered TAMU for volleyball due to the coach. It is not easy but TAMU management needs to act sooner making changes. Several coaches over the past several years needed to be let go years before they were. It is amazing to me that a coach does not recognize short comings and make changes in approach, recruiting strategy, etc.
85AustinAg
AG
How about some potential hire names for the uneducated like myself?
Anchorhold
I think we would need a new "Volleyball Coaching Vacancy" thread for that, but only after this one dies down in a few days.
russaggie
AG
85AustinAg said:

How about some potential hire names for the uneducated like myself?
The first name most will throw out there is Genny Volpe. She's currently the head coach at Rice. She also played for the Ags and was an assistant coach here before going to Rice.

Other realistic names that will be mentioned will be Ryan McGuyre at Baylor, Dave Rehr at Houston.

I personally would like to see us go after Dan Fisher at Pitt and make him say no. It's probably a pipe dream, but worth a shot. Other names that you may hear are Jaylen Reyes, current top assistant at Nebraska. Just don't see us going the unproven assistant route again after the Bird hire. And then Kirsten Booth at Creighton. She's done great things at Creighton and if she's looking for a new/bigger challenge we could provide that.
taylorswift13
AG
I would love the Rice coach, however she did sign an extension after last season that goes all the way till 2026

https://riceowls.com/news/2022/2/9/womens-volleyball-genny-volpe-signs-extension-through-2026.aspx
aggiedrjdub
AG
I would love a new coaching search thread. Do we think Bjork and team has a candidate in mind already? It seems like his style is to target a candidate before releasing a head coach. Surely the list is short at the very least.
Wicked Good Ag
Booth isnt leaving Creighton

Fisher would be interesting

SEC has the money to make a real push to being the number two conference in VB

I thought we wetre moving that way but i think since the pandemic we have slid as a conference

How long is Cook staying at Nebraska? Because i would go after Kelly at Louisville also and she is considered to be the front runner to replace Cook at Nebraska when he retires
billydean05
She was a bad coach and many of her players transferred out. Hopeful we can get a competent coach who can hopefully improve the team as the year progresses.
sharpdressedman
aggiedrjdub said:

I would love a new coaching search thread. Do we think Bjork and team has a candidate in mind already? It seems like his style is to target a candidate before releasing a head coach. Surely the list is short at the very least.
Yes.
coloradoag69
AG
Given that Coach's contract had run out and was not renewed, I can't believe that Bjork hasn't been looking at potential hires. I would hope that as soon as the NCAA's are done - or before if the targeted coach's team loses earlier - he will move forward and get someone hired.
flintdragon
AG
coloradoag69 said:

Given that Coach's contract had run out and was not renewed, I can't believe that Bjork hasn't been looking at potential hires. I would hope that as soon as the NCAA's are done - or before if the targeted coach's team loses earlier - he will move forward and get someone hired.
She still had 2 years left. But yes, Bjork had plenty of time to begin his internal search well before this season ended. Hopefully get a well-known name in and bring in a couple of key pieces. Should be enough to be at least an average SEC team.
russaggie
AG
According to the Eagle, she still had two years left on her contract and she will be paid in full for those remaining years.

"Kuhn's contract, which was extended in June of 2020, was set to expire in January of 2025. Per the contract, which was obtained by The Eagle per an open records request, the university will pay Kuhn the remainder of her base salary for the final two years, which totals $560,000, and will be paid out monthly until the original ending date of the contract or until she finds another job."

https://theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/volleyball/texas-a-m-fires-head-volleyball-coach-bird-kuhn/article_2f476e08-69e2-11ed-8dad-233310bb01d7.html
KBAGOLFER
taylorswift13 said:

tranfer portal transfer portal! let's give Meuth and Lednicky a stud setter, a powerful middle, and better defensive players!

Oh and ladies who can serve and a Libero who is a stud
KayakBassAngling
NoMasPorFavor
Well stated cbmik95

I agree and admit my guilt to what I've said here. Everyone's opinion positive or negative are fine. But do have some issues when or with people who say 2 players make a team. I will call BS. Cuz unless Mueth ot Lednicky can serve set and hit plus play defense….all at same time then it's impossible right?

So as Mia showed when given a chance she rose to opportunity Others need same opportunities and maybe just maybe a needle or two in haystack are Already there?

The portal….now that's interesting. Well not really. It's kids who often, not always, have desire to go elsewhere to be 1. In a winning program; 2. Leaving bad situation; 3. Just have no real desire to persevere with current school/coach/team. Yes there are many more but the portal makes things too easy for bailing out.

It's disheartening to watch these kids jump from program to program. And wait….it will happen here when new coach is announced. Heck I bet sometime in next few weeks girls will enter with the LBK firing. Just a guess but if you had a problem with her, why would you leave or try to when she's no longer there?

To each their own but running from problems isn't a good way to start your young life. Face the challenges and learn from them.
A student who has a 5th year or graduated elsewhere and comes into portal to seek a new challenge or environment I totally get.

As for new hires I can see the names y'all are talking about and not a single one except maybe Creighton Univ coach would consider the switch ACC getting more competitive doubt those moves happen unless it's to a serious power 5 contender which isn't opening up anytime soon right?

Big 10 locked in.
Big 12 studs ain't moving
Maybe snag an out west coast coach?

It will be a day soon when mid-majors sneak in to elite 8 then final 4. See it coming very soon. So maybe target a gem from top Mid school?

Again my 2 cents. And yeah baby No Mas is staying. Get used to me…..
Ag4eva95
You're more than welcome here! We love to have conversations about this team. There are only a handful of us here that seriously contribute, so let's not go after them again(speaking of TaylorSwift). TaylorSwift is one of the good ones.

There are more than likely to be transfers. I can see Bowser, Faye, Cox, Hogan, Frazier, and even Underwood transfer out. Really going to need someone who knows the Texas market. I can see a small school head coach coming to A&M. Who it is, I don't know. Excited to see what comes of the search though
Gap
AG
Kuhn's contract is vastly different than the terrible football contracts we currently and previously have found ourselves with. Kuhn is young and will likely want to continue her coaching career. We are unlikely to be responsible for her entire contract.

That is a big caveat on the end of that sentence.

Quote:

"and will be paid out monthly until the original ending date of the contract or until she finds another job."
Harry Dunne
She was a good assistant, but not every good assistant makes a good head coach. That's why we should hire someone that has proven themselves as a HC at a lower or similar level.

If you think about it, it was really, really dumb to hire an assistant coach at a program that wasn't even as good as we expect to be.
flintdragon
AG
Bird was hired for her recruiting skills to rebuild this program with the hope that she can also coach. Didn't seem like she got any top players until this year though I think she lost out on some in prior years unexpectedly.

I would love a hire that injects a ton of enthusiasm into the program.
Wicked Good Ag
flintdragon said:

Bird was hired for her recruiting skills to rebuild this program with the hope that she can also coach. Didn't seem like she got any top players until this year though I think she lost out on some in prior years unexpectedly.

I would love a hire that injects a ton of enthusiasm into the program.

The problem was it was in need of a rebuild. People who have been around a while know that while were not recruiting to the level of the team 90 miles west of us we weren't in dire straits either. We had a bad year for multiple reason Corbellis final year and many saw us as a program that was stagnant and to a point they were correct but we were the number two team in Texas and a constant in the NCAA tourney sans the last year. We went to Sweet 16 with all Corbelli players and Gomez

We now are no where near #2 in Texas and looking for a new coaching staff.

The question for the AD should be which direction do you go??

Major league hire but unloading the Brinks truck to get them some you have heard of some you haven't
ie Kelly at Louisville, Dan at Pitt, Keagan Cook at Washington, KBB at Creighton, Petrie at San Diego

And I don't think we can get any of those honestly because other than money why would you leave a top ten program for a near complete rebuild

(Most of those would need a ton of money to leave their current positions but we have the resources to give them more than just salary as an incentive and Texas is a hotbed of collegiate volleyball players coming from the HS/ club ranks

A head coach from a non power five conference with a record to show improvement Volpe at Rice, Rehr at Houston
Or do you go Assistant coach again but from a top five program.

Some of these coaches that fit this bill have been at programs for two decades plus and may not want to leave even if the Brinks truck pulls up behind another Brinks truck

Who knows??? Not my call but everybody looks for the home run hire but I think a VB only facility would do wonders for getting a solid coach to come
Anchorhold
- Where on main campus should we rebuild G. Rollie?
- Wasn't Bird already making big ten money?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.