US Open Attendees and Complete Loss of Decorum

1,777 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by oragator
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anyone else watching this? I've actually attended this several years ago and it's a blast of an event even if you don't like tennis.

One thing we've noticed this year though is the complete lack of decorum by the crowds. There seems to be a complete disregard for the normal respect of quiet and movement in the stands. When we there, you weren't allowed to walk down the aisles during play. Had to wait until a break and then everyone kind of rushed to and fro from their seats. And people just hanging out and talking during play didn't happen either. Seems kind of analogous with the airlines during COVID. People have simply abandoned normal societal rules and respect for one another.

I believe we hit peak disrespect for fellow attendees and the game last night with some black guy in full barber apron getting his head shaved in his seat. WTF? People behind him were incredulous and complaining and during the brief shot on tv you could see the guy getting his head shaved and the guy standing there shaving his head mouth back to them. McEnroe made a "this seems like a bad time to do that" comment and then camera then cut away.

Did anyone else see this?
bigfoot10s
AG
I have seen the issue with people walking in also. Quite annoying.

My question is why are the workers not holding fans til changeovers like in the past? They are doing a terrible job this year, not sure what changed.

It can all be controlled if the attendants did their job
Bunk Moreland
I'm not watching the US Open this year because the men's tournament isn't legitimate, but in past years the USO has always been a little rowdier...a little more fan movement, a little later to be quiet, etc.

I'm sure y'all know that having watched a lot of tennis...so you're saying it's noticeably worse than it already used to be? That sucks.
bigfoot10s
AG
Commentators are mentioning it several times a match during the big night matches. Players are asking to stop play because the fans are so loud and distracting
taylorswift13
AG
That YouTuber is named Jidion, he also got kicked out of Wimbledon for yelling and blowing an air horn lol

Bunk Moreland
That sucks.

Didn't they do something a couple years ago where they just stopped play until people would STFU? I'm trying to remember what match it was.

Definitely distracting and the entire US Open crowd + NYC area need to start blasting PSA's every day at the event and on local coverage.
YouBet
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

That sucks.

Didn't they do something a couple years ago where they just stopped play until people would STFU? I'm trying to remember what match it was.

Definitely distracting and the entire US Open crowd + NYC area need to start blasting PSA's every day at the event and on local coverage.
It's always been rowdier than other events, but the rowdiness used to be contained to commercial breaks and in between play. We were actually surprised at that aspect when we attended it. There is chanting and all kinds of yelling between breaks. However, it seems to have spilled over into play now.

I said bold to my wife. If I'm the court judge I'm stopping play, period, until everyone STFU. McEnroe has been vocal about it during broadcast. Hopefully, they do an autopsy of the event to prevent this going forward.

Also, they had to close the roof during Tiafoe's match 2 nights ago. Normally, they stop play while the roof closes because it's completely distracting to serve while the damn roof is moving above you. Throws off your perspective. Tiafoe asked judge to stop play and was told to play through it. In addition, this only impacted Tiafoe so seems completely unfair. Thankfully, he won but that would have been maddening if he lost a game because of it.
oragator
With Serena's run, you had more non traditional tennis fans buying up tickets.
If people are in the aisles during points that's on the ushers.

Other than that, at least from the comfort of my home it seems the same self absorbed chaotic mess it always is.
TyHolden
AG
Sinner vs Alcaraz has been incredible! Tuned into this around 11-12 CST and it's been non-stop spectacular. Incredible Match! It's almost 3am EST !!!
YouBet
AG
TyHolden said:

Sinner vs Alcaraz has been incredible! Tuned into this around 11-12 CST and it's been non-stop spectacular. Incredible Match! It's almost 3am EST !!!
It was but I had to bail at 1am.
scd88
AG
YouBet said:

TyHolden said:

It's insane to have important matches go well into the night . I have this dumb thing called "work" that requires my attention in the morning. I can't stay up.
TyHolden
AG
YouBet said:

TyHolden said:

Yeah, I felt it this morning.

I don't know how professionals already fighting some form of jet lag can play that late into the night. I know they are young and healthy but they've got to be on something to be able to do that.

Sinner was going to the towel after every point. Alcaraz seemed to be ok. He turned 19 in May though.
bigfoot10s
AG
TyHolden said:

YouBet said:

TyHolden said:

Yeah, I felt it this morning.

I don't know how professionals already fighting some form of jet lag can play that late into the night. I know they are young and healthy but they've got to be on something to be able to do that.

Sinner was going to the towel after every point. Alcaraz seemed to be ok. He turned 19 in May though.

At this point in the tournament, I doubt they have jet lag. Most of the players still playing this late were on site almost a week before the tournament began.

They also know when they're going to play, get a good hit in the morning then take a nap before the late night match.
The Porkchop Express
oragator said:

With Serena's run, you had more non traditional tennis fans buying up tickets.
If people are in the aisles during points that's on the ushers.

Other than that, at least from the comfort of my home it seems the same self absorbed chaotic mess it always is.
Did anyone scream racist stuff at her like that BYU fan did at the DUke volleyball player that you were so high and mighty about?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
AgGrad99
AG
Jidion is a famous Youtuber, and got a LOT of attention for getting his haircut at an NBA game this past season. I guess he decided to go back to the well again.

He actually has videos of him at A&M, going into classes, and disturbing a few of them.

Some of his videos are funny. Some are incredibly dumb and immature.

But he's famous for them nonetheless.
scd88
AG
Tiafoe has done well to get into the semi's but Alcarez is so good.

Also, WTF are these blouses Nike has these guys outfitted in? They look terrible; but I'm sure the players like them. I'm an old and prefer a more traditional look. Nike is ass. Lol.
Pahdz
Most tennis I've watched in years and it's not disappointing
scd88
AG
Pahdz said:

Most tennis I've watched in years and it's not disappointing

Tiafoe is geeked. Might go 5 here!
Pahdz
Too many unforced errors
Pahdz
Let's go!
PatAg
AG
I always felt like, as long the as the noise doesnt stop its less distracting. I hated playing any sport to complete silence like that, and it seems like it makes it easier for random people to suddenly make a loud noise and be more noticeable
PatAg
AG
He just has a monster forearm
scd88
AG
We are going to 5.
Sports-Ag
AG
Tiafoe takes it to a 5th set
bagger05
AG
The fans are out of control but the tennis is awesome.
cone
AG
that fourth set was wonderful
scd88
AG
Helluva match. Congrats to Alcaraz. Easy to like this cat.
Pahdz
Great match
scd88
AG
Tiafoe is a great guy.
Sports-Ag
AG
Tiafoe's first serve hurt him in the final set. Great to see him fight and hopefully this can get Tiafoe to the next level.

Alcatraz is just special. Ruud is playing great. The championship round should be good and winner will be number one in the world.
Pahdz
Very impressed in a 19 year old like that, dude is a cool customer
TyHolden
AG
Pahdz said:

Yeah, I'll be rooting for him. Seems like a great kid. Who would he compare to as far as the next great player?
scd88
AG
TyHolden said:

Pahdz said:

Yeah, I'll be rooting for him. Seems like a great kid. Who would he compare to as far as the next great player?

He's part of the next generation that will win similar to Djokovic and Rafa. It's a an natural comparison to make and a bit of a cop out on my part, admittedly. He hasn't won a major yet, so a little hyperbole on my part, too.
TyHolden
AG
thanks!
oragator
Felt really bad for Francis post match. He was in tears thinking he let the crowd down. Guess that's the downside of your home slam, it's great all the support you get, but you can feel some pressure with that….he had nothing to apologize for though. Put in a heck of an effort, just played someone who not only is better, but might be on his way to great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.