Sports Cards

1,041 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Look Out Below
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wanted to start a place to discuss the hobby. I'll start with some of my childhood collection. These were pulled from packs from a little card shop in downtown Llano Tx, in the early 2000s. I still remember "Mr Dan" who ran the place, good childhood memories.

Look Out Below
AG
Nice pulls. The RC auto is worth a pretty penny I'm sure.
FamousAgg
Lol you mean the one that got flagged?

Edit: it is back now!
rebag00
AG
This thread is relevant to my interests - my parents are in the process of cleaning out their basement and presented me with a couple thousand loose cards from the early 80's to early 90s, mostly baseball with some basketball and football mixed in. I want to sell them, in bulk, for a sub market price. Problem is, I am not sure what the market price for all the cards is.

12 year old me thought I had some good cards in there, but the pricing tools available online didn't tell me much when I looked. Everything from $15 to $0.50 for a Lou Whitaker card that happened to be the first one I looked up (its in great condition). It's probably a waste of time to try and price even the good ones. And I have long since forgotten about all the details on condition and rarity.

Has anyone done something similar?
Look Out Below
AG
I had a similar situation. I've gone through and pulled most of the ones I thought had value and were in excellent condition (and even a few that weren't in good condition-- Marino, Rice, Elway rookies) and had them graded.

My suggestion is if you have any athletes who are in their respective Hall of Fames that they might be worth getting graded as long as the condition is great. Anything from late 80's to early 90's probably won't be worth much due to overproduction unless it's absolutely pristine.
FamousAgg
The Brady above is the first one I ever had graded. It's a $3-$4k card so I spent $350 to get it graded by PSA.

The top 3 grading companies and their cheapest opus's of mid July are PSA ($200), Beckett ($125) and SGC ($30).

Unless it's a high dollar card I don't think you can justify getting it graded right now by PSA or Beckett.

As the poster above stated, the 90s are called the "junk wax era" by many as sets were produced is mass quantities, autographs, game worn, and serial numbered cards really weren't a thing yet.

Check out an add in the classifieds for a thread on a guy who wants to buy cards.
Look Out Below
AG
I had no idea grading fees went up so much! Beckett & PSA have to be getting crushed with the renewed interest in the hobby since Covid.

Unless you REALLY want to get them graded, I'd hold off a while until things die down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.