Tennis Hot Takes

4,776 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Citizen Reign
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It seems like the men's game might finally be starting to turn the corner in terms of some new young talent emerging to challenge and replace the three mega stars who have carried the game for the last 15-20 years. I remember Wimbledon 2019, hoping that transition would begin to occur. But big 3 basically dominated everyone into submission. This year feels a little different. Novak will probly still win but some new blood seem prime to take the next step.

Please allow me to throw up all over this post with disorganized hot takes:

Super young elites emerging (22 and under)
  • Aliassime (20) - So young but plays so mature. Huge signature win over Zverev that oughta give him confidence going forward. Multiple future majors for him.
  • Korda (21) - As posted on the other thread, he's easily the best American "prospect" since Roddick
  • Shapovalov (22) - Love that he ruthlessly waxed Murray on Centre Court. He might not beat Novak today but he's not gonna back down.
  • Tsitsipas (22) - Already reached 3 major semifinals and almost won French

Next tier - former super elites whose development has been stunted a little by big 3 continued dominance but their time will come:
  • Medvedev (25) - Don't like his game as much but it's effective, especially on the hardcourts.
  • Zverev (24) - Still super high on Zverev. I know Fed has taken him under his wing a little. Game is maturing.
  • Thiem (27) - I think he'll rack up a few French Opens when Rafas time is done
  • Berretini (25) - Feels like the "next" Andy Roddick. Huge serve and forehand but achilles will probably always be his movement (esp to the backhand side). He can overpower most guys and will find himself in quite a few major semis/finals, but there will probably always be a couple top tier players who can absorb his power and expose his movement. I was at the 2019 Wimbeldon match (humble brag!) where Fed absolutely dismantled him and think Novak will do the same in the final if they meet. Still a nice step forward for him this year.

Legends
  • Fed/Nadal - I think they both still have game left in the tank. Both will probly begin crafting their schedules around certain tournaments each year. I honestly wouldn't put it past Fed to play another 2-3 grass focused years and compete at a very high level. Maybe even win another Wimbledon if some breaks go his way. Just needs to stay healthy (big question mark).
  • Novak - I think he's been waiting his whole career to have the spotlight on him (away from Fed/Rafa) and probably has another couple years of full schedule tennis before having to tone it back a little. Basically zero doubt at this point that he'll end up with the most majors. But will the tennis establishment recognize him as GOAT? Will be interesting to see.
Deluxe
AG
I love watching Shapovalov play. He's dynamic and seems to enjoy the art of the game like Fed. Tons of energy and belief. He really thinks he should win this match and that's step 1. He may not win today but his time is coming soon.
gb2074
AG
I think I would add Sinner to your list of super young elites. He's 19 and ranked 23.
Harry Dunne
Love the Sinner, hate the sin
Deluxe
AG
Mega fail by me for not including Alcaraz on my OP
Finn
AG
Aceswimmer09
Sinner needs to add variety to his game - he is a hard flat baseliner with little ability to create angles, at this point. he will get there because he has a great work ethic. Rune is another young and talented player. FAA will be the star of the future, I believe. He has the best pure game of the young generation and the right disposition, but I am sure some un-known will come out of no where to grab the spotlight.

The funny thing is the Big 3 created a lost generation of tennis, and are in danger of creating a second lost generation if they play much longer....not complaining though because I enjoy watching them! Amazing.
Deluxe
AG
This Sinner-Alcaraz match with the winner likely playing Novak is what tennis needs right now. Sinner has been better so far today but Alcaraz has that Nadal-fighter spirit and is tough to close out.

Don't think either will pose much threat against Novak this year, but getting some experience against him the quarterfinals on Centre Court could be huge for next year.
PascalsWager
AG
It seems like forever ago that 2 Americans made the 4th round of Wimbledon. I don't know tennis that well.

Any thoughts on Brandon Nakashima (20 years old made the 4th round) or Taylor Fritz (age 24 STILL alive in the QF)?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not a big tennis fan, but this Kyrgios dude seems like a crazy MFer. Looked him up while he's berating his own supporters and it looks like he's had past issues with self-harm. Yikes
racerfink
Not to mention his man-handling of girlfriends. His current one may want to take a two week vacation to mom and dad's right now after the loss.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I didn't know he was a woman beater, but not surprised. I've never seen a guy constantly chastise and seemingly trash talk his family for not cheering in the exact manner he expected in every situation. It appeared that he nonstop ripped them for appearing to "relax" when he was up 40-love in a game he then blew, to the point where you have to question if he's focused on his game. The dude is nuts
racerfink
Yet he'll be allowed to play at the US Open (pending any investigation into the charges from his latest ex), while Djokovic is banned from playing in it.
Aceswimmer09
It's ridiculous. The best player won't be allowed to play the US hard court season or next years Aus open. We will see him again around the clay court season. It's a travesty. The vaccine mandate is as bureaucratic as it gets. Sad.
Gap
AG
Those bureaucracies are led by our federal executive branch. It isn't bureaucratic, it is our elected leadership. If desired, the head of any agency making these rules could be removed and replaced tomorrow.

This is no longer March of 2020.
Deluxe
AG
Federer is supposedly retiring. Damn. I was hoping to see him at Wimbledon one more time.

Would have been cool to see Sinner or Alcaraz knock him out and pass the torch, kinda like how he took the torch from Pete back in 01.
Bunk Moreland
The GOAT. I basically only knew of Sampras and Agassi as a younger kid but Federer is what got me watching all the grand slams and staying up in the middle of the night to watch the Australian Open etc. I was 16 when he won his first slam.

Probably my favorite athlete of all time. He seemingly moved around the court effortlessly, won with dignity and humility, and was the best ambassador the sport could have ever asked for.

I was also hoping he'd give it one more go at Wimbledon but that's the way it goes.
Deluxe
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

The GOAT. I basically only knew of Sampras and Agassi as a younger kid but Federer is what got me watching all the grand slams and staying up in the middle of the night when to watch the Australian Open etc. I was 16 when he won his first slam.

Probably my favorite athlete of all time. He seemingly moved around the court effortlessly, won with dignity and humility, and was the best ambassador the sport could have ever asked for.

I was also hoping he'd give it one more go at Wimbledon but that's the way it goes.
Ditto on all that
Mike Elko
AG
100% the GOAT in my mind. Class on and off the court. Brought tennis to a new level.
Citizen Reign
AustinAg2012 said:

100% the GOAT in my mind. Class on and off the court. Brought tennis to a new level.
It may not show in slams, but to me, he is the GOAT.

Federer didn't need insane quickness or power. He used efficiency of movement to punish his opponents with the perfect forehand. His one-handed backhand was a work of art.

I have never seen an athlete make their sport look so effortless and graceful.

Glad to see a player like Alcaraz coming in.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.