Track and Field Walk-on times

4,164 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ed Marcinkiewicz
mslags97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone know A&M's walk-on times for events? Most programs have times athletes must hit in order to have a chance to walk on.

Specifically interested in the 800 and the 1600.

Thanks.
taylorswift13
AG
It varies per school but I would say reach out to the coaches or track and field athletics personal! A great time to reach them may be the summer! For the 800 men I believe a great walk on time for our program would be anything under 1:54/1:53, and for women 2:16/2:15! For the 1600 for men I believe a 4:13-4:18 and women 5:08-5:13. Again these are rough estimates and not for our program in particular! I'd also have each athlete fill out the recruit questionnaire on the 12th man track and field page! Hope this is any help
mslags97
AG
Thank you. This is great info. I knew they were different per school. Yale is 1:58-1:59 for the 800 walk-on times. One of his coaches ran for Yale and is pushing him there. He grew up a brain-washed Aggie, so that is where he wants to run. And we are from Midland/Odessa and know Frosty Gilliamso hopefully that will help as well....
taylorswift13
AG
No problem best of luck on what's left of the outdoor season and hope your athlete stays safe! And I hope the times continue to drop as well! If Yale is in consideration than the grades must be excellent which would look great to any coach! The summer AAU circuit helps gain exposure as well as more opportunities to drop times and being able to have times in multiple events looks great!! Always here if you need any more help!
Sub4
AG
Taylorswift's time projections look spot on.

One thing to consider is that nothing is concrete here, and the runner's history can play into the mix a lot too.
A runner who picks up the track as a junior and only has 1 season under their belt running the same times as a kid who's running a consistent 45mpw since freshman year. Opinion can vary based on age, how good the high school training was, where, and how an athlete's PR's were running.

If you have a boy who is only running 15-20MPW in high school and runs a 4:22 mile. Very high odds he could walk on at most Div 1 schools even if they say their standards are faster.

If an athlete can add context to help their situation out, always add it.

Flipside happens too. If you have a high school kid running 90 MPW or from Paavo programs coaches might be more hesistant.
mslags97
AG
Thanks.

He is a sophomore currently, and is at a small private school. Has already run a sub 2 minute 800, but he literally has only run 2 meets this year.

He doesn't get tons of mileage under his belt because he plays other sports as well. They went to the state game in basketball which delayed his focus on running, and they will probably play in the state game in baseball as well. He is a hell of a defensive center fielder, and his batting average is around 650, but he is small, and a runner, so the power isn't consistently there for him to play college baseball.

But, I want him to enjoy his time in high school and play all the sports he can and that he enjoys and loves to play.

He really doesn't get the opportunity to focus on track, but he will more starting next year, because he loves it and knows his chance for college athletics lies in running.

He hasn't had a ton of coaching, although he is getting better coaching now. Former runners from Lubbock Christian and Yale. As well as a coach out of Houston.
nowayout
I will add that the walk on experience at Texas A&M can be miserable. The team is run like a business and only the top performers are treated with optimal coaching as well as athletic gear: jackets, backpacks, warmups, etc. The roster is full of athletes who were at the top of their game in high school and loved Texas A&M enough to try to make it work there. Most of those were cut out of even being able to compete this season. If I could give you any advice it would be to go where you are actually wanted and appreciated.
Z3phyr
Sub 2 as a sophomore running at a small private school and playing lots of sports is definitely on track to be able to walk on/get recruited in the mile.
Sub4
AG
justinbeiber said:

I will add that the walk on experience at Texas A&M can be miserable. The team is run like a business and only the top performers are treated with optimal coaching as well as athletic gear: jackets, backpacks, warmups, etc. The roster is full of athletes who were at the top of their game in high school and loved Texas A&M enough to try to make it work there. Most of those were cut out of even being able to compete this season. If I could give you any advice it would be to go where you are actually wanted and appreciated.

The athlete experience at all schools is different. Different people will thrive in different environments. Athletes who need to be coddled will not succeed in some programs like A&M; while they may thrive in environments that cater to delicate athletes.

Understanding team dynamics and how well you might fit into that is important when evaluating a program when being recruited.

George Costanza
How do you define "walk-on"? The non-scholarship recruited athletes are treated pretty darn well.
Look Out Below
AG
At the end of the day, all our teams at A&M compete in a Power 5 conference -- one that is more often than not the best conference in the country. It certainly is for track & field. Power 5 athletics isn't a participation sport. It's a business with million dollar budgets and coaches livelihoods on the line.

We shouldn't have anyone on our teams --walk-on or not -- that aren't in a legitimate position to contribute, or show the potential to contribute, at the SEC level. Stocking our teams with athletes that have no prayer of ever representing Texas A&M, at a bare minimum, at an SEC Championship level is a waste of the coaches time and the university's resources. Anyone just wanting to be on a team needs to go over to rec sports.
aggierun
Look out below is right about A&M track being a "business" and because of that I fear that as a sport in the SEC its days are numbered. Track and field is an "0lympic sport" that does not support itself! Only football and basketball do that! Track is an expensive sport and not a revenue producing sport. I fear that in the next five years we will see the demise of track as we know it! Just look at what is happening at Clemson! (Two years after winning the national title in football they are dropping their track program!) AS A LIFE LONG TRACK NUT (and I am not young!) I HATE TO SEE THIS HAPPENING!! SURE HOPE I AM WRONG
Look Out Below
AG
I think track will be fine, particularly in the SEC. Clemson is a one-off IMO.
Z3phyr
Track needs athletes with big personalities to survive, people like Noah Lyles get attention and are good for the sport as a whole
Ed Marcinkiewicz
Sadly I think Aggierun may well be right. The more power the Power Five has, the worse it is for non-revenue sports. A&M track may survive longer than most because of the amount of investment we have made in the program. Outside of Oregon, no one in the country spends on track like we do and Oregon only does so as the result of NIKE. The Power Five is moving away from the rest of the NCAA because they want to control more of the dollars and those dollars will be spent by revenue producing programs. Track is an endangered sport and if we don't see a quick turnaround in programs being able to have full attendance in the coming year you will see a number of track programs getting cut. I am not unsympathetic to the walk on situation at A&M. Those walk ons are primarily Texans and are the ones in the program that appreciate the degree that Texas A&M offers and appreciate situations like the Texas dual meet much more so than the international or out of state students.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.