V B Ags vs MU

2,355 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chapa96
MUAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ags finally put up a little fight in 3rd set. Someone please explain to a newbie what is wrong with Aggie VB. Do we just not have good enough players, is ti the coaching, all the above or what? Do the Ags practice serving and handling serves to them? According to the announcers the match was supposed to even, but MU totally dominated. Sorry for the venting, but would like for some of you fans that know and understand VB to explain why the match was so one sided. thanks
MUAG
flintdragon
AG
Would like to hear some in-depth thoughts on this as well. I like the sport and have kids playing it but I don't really understand the nuances of it.

I didn't get to watch tonight's game but my general feeling is that we don't have any superstars. We have a lot of good role players, any of which can have a solid night but no one who can dominate game after game.

The story sounds very similar to my daughter's club team. solid players all around and when things click, can push and even beat some good teams. But will have some weird games where no one seems to show up.

I do think it has to do with recruiting...much like our other lagging sports, we should be putting together more solid recruits. Texas is an absolute hotbed in the club scene.
Gap
AG
Did Christon get injured in the first match against Georgia?
Pioneer
You were spoiled by having Hans the last 4 years. She was a stud that could score out of system. This new coach doesn't impress me at all. To be a top 5, even top 10, you have to have elite talent...even if it's only 2-3 players.
It's also about philosophy. Serving aggressive and keeping other teams out of system seems to be the way to go. This was proven tonight by the 9 aces Mizzou had. This kills tu every year. They have athletes that can jump out of the gym, etc but get beat in the tournament by an aggressive serving team because they can't pass and score well out of system.
It's recruiting and coaching and philosophy. Some coaches make great assistants, but aren't ready to take their own team. I think that's where the Aggies are now. Did you know that every D1 vball Championship has been won with a male coach in the modern era?
Bridgewateraggies
You absolutely nailed it. However,She is too concerned with her very, and I mean very, liberal ideologies and social activist agenda . It causes division on team and supporters of program and probably has hurt recruiting also? Has definitely not shown to be able too recruit top talent as corbelis did for years. Even though I believe her staff is an upgrade in developing and preparing team. Bottom line is just keep your politics and morality to yourself and coach.
Pioneer
Preach...
Yet another loss..
Hoping it's just a short stint, and the AD figures out this isn't the coach we need!
Ag4eva95
Not trying to cause an argument, but a few things to notice about this season.

1. Morgan C. was injured in the last series against Georgia. She is the top point scorer and main terminal pin. Cici came in and tried to fill her shoes, just hard to find 4.5 points per set. When you look at those set loses, 4-5 points would turn things around.

2. There is only one senior that plays, our leader Camille Connor. When you lose an all American OH and a Colombian national team libero, you expect some drop off.

3. We brought in a fantastic transfer who will become eligible next season. Destiny Cox. Expect her to make an impact and become a solid compliment to Morgan Christon.

4. Solid recruits coming in next season, but 2022 has the #1 libero in the nation (which we have never had) and a top 20 outside joining the team. These will be huge impact players. In addition, they have a top 75 RS and a 6-7 pin hitter coming in. This is a fantastic class.

5. Treyunna Rush is having a soph slump. If she can figure it out next year, watch out.

The Mason reason to possibly worry next season is we don't have any setters over take over for Camille. Maybe look for a transfer there too.

Byrd is rebuilding this program. It was left in shambles. The game changed, but the Corbellis did not modify their game plan to fit what was needed.

The future looks bright considering the recent results.
MUAG
Thanks much for the comments. Enjoy watching VB, but don't know much abut it. Didn't see match last night as watched softball and that was a wonderful game. Sounds like my wife and I will get to see some exciting VB before too long. thanks again
MUAG
flintdragon
AG
cbmik95 said:

3. We brought in a fantastic transfer who will become eligible next season. Destiny Cox. Expect her to make an impact and become a solid compliment to Morgan Christon.

4. Solid recruits coming in next season, but 2022 has the #1 libero in the nation (which we have never had) and a top 20 outside joining the team. These will be huge impact players. In addition, they have a top 75 RS and a 6-7 pin hitter coming in. This is a fantastic class.
Thanks for that write up! We need better coverage especially on the recruiting front. I think one of Bird's strength is supposed to be recruiting so glad to see some of that coming in.
Wicked Good Ag
This program wasn't left in shambles. It was stagnant but not in shambles

We had a bad final year with the Corbellis simply because we took on a unbelievable schedule in terms of difficulty, had an All American setter medical retire. Hans wasn't a go to girl her soph year compared to next two years.
Ag4eva95
Shambles might have been dramatic, but it was not going to be a winning program in the direction they were going. A few issues to point out.

1. Lack of depth, especially at the setting and libero positions. There was an obvious talent discrepancy between the top 25 and A&M.

2. Recruiting dipped pretty heavily in Corbellis final few years. While they were supposed to sign a top 3 player in her final season, the overall talent dropped.

3. There was a huge issue with overuse of athletes. Ex. Stephanie Aiple. She was clearly in pain, but she was pressured to continue playing. This also happened with Kaitlyn Blake. This also pertains to the lack of depth the program had. If there was a suitable replacement, they wouldn't of had to medically retire.

While they weren't in shambles, there was a clear regression.
Wicked Good Ag
Season is over. a .500 record against the caliber of teams we played this season shows a sharp decline. Hopefully the new recruits and a normal season will help with the program.

Congrats on a stellar career for Camile Conner, a 4 year starter who was thrust into the fire her freshman year with Aiple mediaclly retiring. Her connection with middles and her offensive attack improved in each of her next few years.

Congrats on Morgan Davis also finishing her career. I loved her enthusiasm and spark especially off the bench. Every time she was ask to come in she excelled.

Each could come back and I would hope they both do but if not a time to look at next season.

I think we have three things to work on this coming season

1. to get better on the outside in out of system play and the ability to terminate.
2. Pass better on first contact in both serve receive and honestly freeballs as well
3. Establish a back row attack presense that most elite teams have...we have played too many DS players and sacrificed offense from the back row

If we dont do #2 then #1 becomes a huge priority, if can do number 2 and leave one offensive threat in back row we can accomplish #3

these things have to be done along with basically grooming a new quarterback at the setter position

We have lost out on some recruits who committed to the program over the last couple of years for various reasons that i dont think have to do with the coaching staff but those misses show up in our starting rotation and roster depth at key positions
flintdragon
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

these things have to be done along with basically grooming a new quarterback at the setter position
Thanks for the recap. Hopefully the pieces can fall together sooner rather than later.

I offered by daughter (setter) but they said no...
sharpdressedman
Brotherags said:

You absolutely nailed it. However,She is too concerned with her very, and I mean very, liberal ideologies and social activist agenda . It causes division on team and supporters of program and probably has hurt recruiting also? Has definitely not shown to be able too recruit top talent as corbelis did for years. Even though I believe her staff is an upgrade in developing and preparing team. Bottom line is just keep your politics and morality to yourself and coach.
VB is dead to many former supporters, and coverage on TexAgs approaches indifference. The program is a new coach and multiple years away from being successfully rebuilt.
box65
AG
Interesting comments and I certainly agree that coaches and sports in general need to stay out of politics. Not doubting what you say but what do you base your conclusions on? Has she been openly outspoken?
flintdragon
AG
Since there could be some eyes on this thread that have ties to club volleyball, if you know anyone on a girls 18s team going to nationals, see this post I put up looking for a ticket!

https://texags.com/forums/11/topics/3194614
Chapa96
AG
Kentucky wins their first and SEC's first VB Natnl title by defeating tu 3-1.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.