New Volleyball Thread - Nov 22

21,193 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aston04
coloradoag69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm tired of having to sort through 5 pages to get the most recent volleyball news and updates. So here we go!

The Aggies just swept MSU 25 - 19, 25-14, 25- 22. As usual Hans Holland lead the offense with 13 kills, followed closely by Rush with 9, while Talbert and Lauren Davis had 7 each. A&M also had 7 aces.

A&M is now 11 - 4 in SEC play, currently in third place.

cocacolaaggie68
Thanks Colorado Ag. I sm always searching for the results. Much appreciated E2 class 68
Wicked Good Ag
Miss State is in second to last place in conference but they play hard and are young for the most part but not very good out of system.

I thought we did well from the pins today sans a couple of attacks that were like I wanna hit REALLY REALLY hard and see what happens.
We didn't have many blocks today and we need to get more of those over the next three matches to end conference play. The way Rush is playing on the right side I am pretty sure she will be on the all freshman SEC team. And Hans should be POY or at least first team for sure.

Last home regular season game is Sunday at 3. Three seniors Slocum Hans and Gomez along with junior Patterson will be honored after the match in their final home game of the regular season although they may play in post season at home if they can win Sunday and split next weekend at a minimum. Patterson is graduating in three years and will forgo her last season if reports are correct
coloradoag69
AG
cocoacolaaggie68,

I was a white band BQ. I guess we are two of the older Ags to follow the soccer ladies. Maybe we are trying to make up for the fact that here were NO women NCAA sports teams while we were at A&M!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Wicked Good Ag
Win in four over Ole Miss on senior day. Rush was dominant in sets one and two on the RS. Couple of tight sets hurt her efficiency in set three and Morgan Davis came for her in set four. Got a lot more touches on the block and blocks were good for us this match ending a couple of sets with terminal blocks. Hans got her usual production and Lauren Davis hit well from outside. Lauren Davis in fact had her best outing as an Aggie IMO with 19 kills (one less than Hans with much less attempts). Conner hasn't gotten enough credit from me over the season but her improvement both offensively as a weapon similar to Allie Sawatsky years ago and her defense have improved quite a bit and probably only the setter from Kentucky passes her overall in the SEC. Her improvement at setting the middles since her freshman year when she was thrust into the starting role when Aiple took a medical retirement is growing stronger each and every weekend. Middle was not a offensive weapon much due to timing her freshman year and has grown leaps and bounds over the past two seasons.

With that win we have two more conference matches on the road at South Carolina and also Florida. South Carolina is no slouch and has the extra motivation of playing for their tournament life at home. I thought we handled pretty well in a sweep but at home and needing wins will make for a match that we both need for different reasons. If we win bot, I think we safely host first and second rounds. Split and we are on the right side of hosting bubble per RPI but will be close with four teams fighting for two maybe three hosting spots. Lose both and I think we are on the road for first and second rounds unless all the bubble teams finish poorly as well. If we go on the road look for us to be at Texas Baylor or even Rice

For the seniors. This team chemistry I think comes from you guys and hasn't been noticeable since the 2015 hosting team who were SEC champions. I hope they can carry this team this last weekend and have us host again.
coloradoag69
AG
Wicked said it all especially for the seniors. I'll second his thanks to you for leading the turnaround. Let's hope we can get that host spot so you'll have one more chance at home.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
akm91
AG
I'm unbelievably impressed by Hans and amazed at the velocity she generates on her hits.

I'm surprised that we bump pass free balls as much as we do. I feel we're missing out on opportunities to run our offense because of passing inaccuracies on free balls.

Camila Gomez was outstanding, making some really great hustle plays and outstanding digs.

Rush is very athletic and explosive, but still needs refinement as a hitter. i don't know if it's because she's a lefty but her swing doesn't look as smooth as Hans.

We're going to miss Patterson's athleticism in the middle next year I feel. She just seems to be a bit quicker than Talbert and able to adjust to the quick set a bit better.

Giggem
AG
I really appreciate y'all's attention to, and analysis of, this team. They have improved so much over the course of the season. Speaks well of them and the coaching staff. They truly are #GettingBetter
flintdragon
AG
2020 class finally announced!
https://12thman.com/news/2019/11/26/texas-am-volleyball-announces-2020-recruiting-class.aspx
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Tonite at 6 S.Carolina SECPlus
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
mullokmotx
AG
Going to Set 4 up 2 sets to 1. That's a small place the chickens play in.
coloradoag69
AG
We win!! 3 sets to 1.

After a close game for each of the first sets, we ran away with the last set 25 - 16.
mullokmotx
AG
Our match at Florida Sunday is at 3 PM and the NCAA bracket is announced at 6:30, so the bracket may already be set when our match ends. Have we done enough with tonight's win to host? Our RPI of 13 before tonight and winning on the road against #41 USC should mean yes, but then the AVCA poll has us not ranked but receiving votes. That discrepancy gives me reason to think we might not get to host. We do have wins over #7 UK and #19 Missouri.
coloradoag69
AG
I have no clue how the committee operates, so anything I say is a guess based on what others have said.

I'm afraid one of our problems is that three other Texas teams, all of them in close proximity to CS, also have good resumes: tu, Baylor and Rice. If all of us host, that's 1/4 of the hosting teams. Clearly, I think that's fair, but will the committee?

From "RealTimeRPI.com" we are 12th, Rice is 22nd, and Baylor and tu are #1 and #2 respectively. UF is #7, so our game there Saturday should help us, particularly if we can win.

From that, I guess we should get the nod over Rice, but will that actually hold? I guess we'll find out at 6:30 Sunday.
Wicked Good Ag
If we beat Florida we could be as high as 9 in RPI. Lose we are 13th maybe 12 depending

One guy that is VERY VERY GOOD at predicting has us safely hosting so the big question is who comes. Rice SFA and Oklahoma are three solid picks for the 2nd and third slot with an auto qualifier as the fourth
mullokmotx
AG
CORRECTION: We play Florida on Saturday so my comment about the Florida match ending shortly before the bracket is announced is incorrect. I just assumed it was Sunday since all the other conference games are on Sunday on a weekend.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
SECPlus
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
mullokmotx
AG
Hans with the kill to win Set 2 at Florida. Tied at 1.
mullokmotx
AG
Lost Set 3 but came back to win Set 4 25-22 after a Florida challenge.
Hand Of God
AG
At 9-9 in the 5th Florida went on a 5-0 run. A&M has countered with a 4-0 run.
Hand Of God
AG
Fought hard for it but dropped the final set 15-13.
mullokmotx
AG
Selection show is tomorrow at 7:30 on ESPNU.
Wicked Good Ag
Games weren't competitive through the first three with each team winning handily. Outsides for both teams looked good and bad in spurts and middle play seemed to dictate who won each set. Aggies won a closer one in set four and it was nip and tuck for the fifth set until Florida went on a 5-0 run only for us to counter with a 4-0 run to fall short.

Our RPI will end up being likely 13 maybe 12th but with a win we would have been likely 9-11th. We should still host on Thursday and Friday which sucks as right in middle of finals but unique opportunity for the Aggie VB program
akm91
AG
Was a close match and we couldn't pull it out. Not a particularly good match for Hollan but we played hard.

Hopefully we host the 1st two rounds and make it beyond. I feel we need to upgrade our athleticism overall to truly compete with the elite teams.
Gap
AG
A&M grabs the #13 overall national seed!
tk for tu juan
Matched up with #4 Wisconsin if we win the first two rounds. The potential Rice matchup in the 2nd round is dangerous
Gap
AG
As mentioned above, we are the #13 overall national seed. We open Thursday, December 5, at HOME with the below 4 team bracket in College Station (RPI and season record included):

#13 Texas A&M (21-7)
#87 St. John's (22-11)

#14 Rice (26-3)
#30 Oklahoma (19-8)
akm91
AG
Outstanding!
Wicked Good Ag
St. John's would likely be the toughest first round opponent the way they are playing for all of the seeded teams. Rice Oklahoma will be interesting as we have beaten Oklahoma in five and lost to Rice in the spring but that was exhibition
mullokmotx
AG
What a great accomplishment by the players and coaches to go from missing the tournament for the last 2 years to being a top 16 seed and hosting. Looks like we were 9-5 against teams in the tournament. Went 10-2 after being 3-3 after the 5 set loss to Florida on October 13. I think Hans is the only player who has played in a NCAA Tournament game.
Hand Of God
AG
If I'm not mistaken, Rice beat Texas early this year.
flintdragon
AG
Starting this thing off at home will be huge for this team. As mentioned, almost zero tournament experience on this team. Hopefully the students show.

I see the Friday game is at 6:30. Don't know why they don't push that back an hour and allow more people from the surrounding areas a better chance to get to the game.
Gap
AG

Quote:

I see the Friday game is at 6:30. Don't know why they don't push that back an hour and allow more people from the surrounding areas a better chance to get to the game.
Those times are going to be defined by the NCAA so they always have action going for their tv and streaming. They are advertising all of the games being available via tv and streaming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.