New Volleyball Thread - Nov 22

21,379 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aston04
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
akm91 said:

Losing Hans and Patterson will be tough. Will need Rush to step up and be more consistent. Davis will need to take another step up but was really solid OH as a frosh.

I think losing Gomez will be tough as well since she played some fantastic defense.

The website shows Patterson as a junior.

Hans, Gomez, and Slocum listed as Seniors.

https://12thman.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/2019?&sort=class
akm91
AG
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned Patterson is not returning and is leaving to play pro ball overseas. I believe she was recognized in senior night as well.
biobioprof
akm91 said:

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned Patterson is not returning and is leaving to play pro ball overseas. I believe she was recognized in senior night as well.
Thanks, missed that.
coloradoag69
AG
I believe Patterson had a redshirt year, and that she either graduated a few days ago or will graduate this spring.

The three seniors and Patterson will be a struggle to replace. But at least one really important returner is Camille Connor, our setter. The roster on the website lists 10 of the 17 volleyballers as either freshmen or sophomores this season. Those would be Bird's recruits in addition to Camila Gomez who was a "one and done" transfer this year. Clearly Hans and Gomez were vital to this year's success. Hopefully, another good season will allow Coach to start building a volleyball powerhouse.
Wicked Good Ag
coloradoag69 said:

I believe Patterson had a redshirt year, and that she either graduated a few days ago or will graduate this spring.

The three seniors and Patterson will be a struggle to replace. But at least one really important returner is Camille Connor, our setter. The roster on the website lists 10 of the 17 volleyballers as either freshmen or sophomores this season. Those would be Bird's recruits in addition to Camila Gomez who was a "one and done" transfer this year. Clearly Hans and Gomez were vital to this year's success. Hopefully, another good season will allow Coach to start building a volleyball powerhouse.
Patterson did not have a redshirt year but will graduate in three years. The roster is mainly Corbelli recruits except for maybe some DS players recently.

Here are the ones you can directly attribute to the current staff not including ones previously committed to Corbellis who stayed the course.

Rush
Gomez
Basham

all playing significantly this year

here is the signing class for next season

Claire Jeter
MB
6-3
Missouri City, Texas
Ridge Point

Hanna Larson
MB
6-1
Midlothian, Texas
Midlothian Heritage

Erica Lowery
DS/L
5-6
Cypress, Texas
Langham Creek

Melissa Walden
S
5-11
Aurora, Ill.
Waubonsie Valley

as for next year Claire Jeter was a Corbelli recruit and is a top 100 senior ace in terms of recruiting. The others I do not know for certain at all. Larson was a top 60 senior ace as well.

to put into perspective

Connor and Patterson and Lauren Davis all were top 100's their senior year. Rush was #17 last year and Hans was in the 20's her senior year. It is based upon college potential and you can see where Rush is listed that high but development will be huge

I do not know how the new recruits will come in because I think Austin Roark and Talbert can handle the middle next year just fine. Austin Roark is a solid middle and Patterson just a better blocker and server but there will not be that great of a drop off in my opinion and I love Patterson and her game this season especially.

will post later on expectations for the following season
russaggie
AG
One thing to keep an eye on may be the mass exodus from the Kansas program. Several of their players have gone into the transfer portal and I'm assuming many of them were recruited to Kansas by Bird while she was there as an assistant. I know there aren't any open spots on our roster with the number leaving matching the incoming recruits, but just something to keep in mind.
coloradoag69
AG
Thanks, Wicked. I was hoping you would give your insight about the recruits.

Russaggie, what's the story about the Kansas program? They had developed a nice run as a program while Bird was an assistant, but they had a minimal presence this season, I believe. It's hard to believe that an assistance coach leaving would trigger a large personnel exodus.

Clearly Coach did a good job these last two years of getting the most out of the Corbelli hold overs while bringing in contributing freshmen plus Gomez. I'm looking forward to more informed predictions, but my first impression is that we will be doing well to duplicate this year's success next year. It seemed like a lot of really good things fell into place this last season, and there were no significant injuries of which I am aware.

I'm looking forward to others' opinions.
Wicked Good Ag
Hans is 2nd team All American for the AVCA
Conner is HM All American
coldmoose
Wicked Good Ag said:

Hans is 2nd team All American for the AVCA
Conner is HM All American

Just read that a few minutes ago.
Congratulations to them both.
Hand Of God
AG
Wisconsin tops Baylor 3-1
biobioprof
Stanford sweeps Minnesota.

Badgers vs Cardinal on Saturday.
Chapa96
AG
Stanford sweeps Wisc. Plummer is/was just too good!!
biobioprof
Chapa96 said:

Stanford sweeps Wisc. Plummer is/was just too good!!
As the Wisconsin coach said: Best player to not make AA.
Chapa96
AG
A&M Finishes Ranked #18
Wicked Good Ag
With the season done and being 2019 here is my all decade starting lineup and sub

S. Stephanie Aiple
OH Kelsey Black
OH Hollan Hans
M. Shelby Sullivan
M. Jazzmin Babers
RS. Alicia Kastmo
L. Camilla Gomez
DS. Tori Mellenger
russaggie
AG
Samantha Sanders transferring to Tech for her senior season. I thought she could possibly move into the starting lineup with Hollan leaving. I guess that means a roster spot is opening up for a transfer.
flintdragon
AG
curious considering there aren't many outside hitters on the team for next year. 2 left?
Wicked Good Ag
russaggie said:

Samantha Sanders transferring to Tech for her senior season. I thought she could possibly move into the starting lineup with Hollan leaving. I guess that means a roster spot is opening up for a transfer.

I hope she gets her degree from TAMU before transferring as it will be much more valuable. She was ,depending upon a transfer, likely the heir apparent to the OH position unless the kid from Midlothian Heritage is moved to outside. Wish her best of luck for her senior season.
russaggie
AG
Cam Ennis will be transferring in from Kansas. 6'0" OH/Setter originally from San Antonio.
Wicked Good Ag
russaggie said:

Cam Ennis will be transferring in from Kansas. 6'0" OH/Setter originally from San Antonio.

she hit RS for Kansas i wonder if she will hit outside for us. a bit injury prone i hear. if we could get the mccall kid from TCU then we might not skip a beat if the other pins improve and we have someone step up to be libero
flintdragon
AG
I heard McCall was transferring but didn't know she was thinking A&M? What was the situation there with her at TCU?
akm91
AG
Who are the top candidates to fill the libero position?
Wicked Good Ag
Morgan Christon to Texas A&M from Kansas.

Outside Hitter that I believe Bird helped in recruiting from TAV to Kansas before leaving for TAMU.

Being even a small part of the TAV pipeline in the future will help. The previous staff didn't have much of a sway in that club even with a coach being on staff for a season as a last minute replacement years ago
Wicked Good Ag
flintdragon said:

I heard McCall was transferring but didn't know she was thinking A&M? What was the situation there with her at TCU?

No idea on where she would end up but would have stepped in nicely to fill the void Hans left if she can stay healthy as a six rotation outside hitter. With the two transfers from Kansas coming in I don't know if there would be room for her now although I can see us going to a 6-2 offense after the 2020 season personally
russaggie
AG
The spring roster is posted on 12thman.com. It looks like three of the four new signees are early enrollees and have been added. The two transfers from Kansas are also officially onboard. That leaves one more incoming player to add in the summer. It will be interesting to see where that roster spot comes from.
Wicked Good Ag
Claire Jeter is the other spot. Middle ranked in top 100 as a senior ace
Wicked Good Ag
Heard on another thread that the poster biobioprof passed away suddenly. He was a regular on the VB threads and a big fan of the women's programs especially BB
Aston04
AG
Ole Miss volleyball coach left the Rebels to be the next coach at Missouri State.

Seems like an odd move.

http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2020/01/30/missouri-state-hires-new-volleyball-coach/
Wicked Good Ag
Aston04 said:

Ole Miss volleyball coach left the Rebels to be the next coach at Missouri State.

Seems like an odd move.

http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2020/01/30/missouri-state-hires-new-volleyball-coach/

Well since he was fired it seems like a good move to continue to work
Aston04
AG
Ahh interesting - didn't know that from the press release. I'm from Springfield (home of msu), so just caught this story in the local news.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.