Texas A&M Volleyball - 2019

20,883 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wicked Good Ag
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

We lost the recruit Wannas who decommitted last season and is a top five recruit but that may have much more to do with Stanford coming calling then anything about changes to TAMU program.
I thought she ended up flipping to Minnesota. Did I hear incorrectly?
Wicked Good Ag
It could have been. I know when she blew up even more playing up a division in Club she was courted by the top schools. Like Stanford Penn State Minnesota etc and decommitted from new coaching staff
I think it was more the schools that were after her rather than the uncertainty of the new staff but she was the ideal replacement for Hans for 2020 after seeing her at a club tourney this past year

Edit GAP is correct it is Minnesota not Stanford. Still a tough loss
flintdragon
AG
Wicked and others... where do y'all go for these types of volleyball news?
Wicked Good Ag
Club scene but also richkern.com has a lot of this information.
Hand Of God
AG
#4 Texas is making light work of #1 Baylor so far taking the first two sets 25-19 and 25-10. Baylor getting embarrassed at the moment.
galpalvball
Hans and Gomez have been exceptional this season. I watched the Corbelli's for 10 seasons and am very concerned about how badly we are going to drop off next year when the players they brought in are gone. Hans is clearly our best player. And we have no other athletic players to replace her. I am extremely concerned about that. Gomez is a one year senior that was brought in by this coaching staff, but is gone at seasons end. Hans has allowed this coaching staff to hide Lauren Davis on the court, but it is now clear her only chance of continuing to play next year, will be on the right side. We have been playing with one 6 six rotation outside all year, and it has clearly put too much pressure on Hans. 50% of time we have no back row attack, and our back row DS's are very below average and we can't really justify having them on the court when Gomez is gone. With Hans being gone next year, it doesn't appear that we have any 6 rotation outsides, which will leave this team in a tough position to win matches.

I know I've read about Kuhn being an excellent recruiter, but we are winning only because of the players the Corbelli's recruited. Rush is contributing occasionally on the right side; but next year Davis and Sanders need to be on the right side to contribute. 3 right sides and no 6 rotation outsides could make for a long 2020 season. Hans is clearly the only current player athletic enough to play 6 rotations, so this coaching staff is going to have to pull a rabbit out of their hat to keep winning once the Corbelli's players are gone. These coaches have to know by now that Davis is hitting ~.100 in conference play. With her only being a below average hitter that doesn't play defense, I don't know where our outside pin points are going to come from next year? Our setter and middles seem to be as good as any other team we have played, but without athletes like Hans, it will be too easy to shut down the middles and the right sides. The only way to build a strong program, is to keep athletes in the pipeline, and so far I haven't seen Kuhn bring in a single athlete that is even remotely capable of replacing Hans. I believe the glass at A&M is always half full, and I hope some athletic girls show up soon! Otherwise, we will continue to be in the middle of the conference for years to come. I want A&M at the top, but Kuhn needs athletes! And next year is her third season without a single impact player like Hans. I am hoping for the best, but athletes win games. And we clearly need to find some very soon if we are going to compete at the top of this conference and play in the tournament every year! The Corbelli's left Kuhn with very good middle blockers, an exceptional outside hitter, and a very good setter. Right now, Kuhn's recruiting reputation is clearly in question... gig em...
Hand Of God
AG
Hand Of God said:

#4 Texas is making light work of #1 Baylor so far taking the first two sets 25-19 and 25-10. Baylor getting embarrassed at the moment.

Texas finished off the sweep of Baylor with a 25-19 third set. Not often you see a top-ranked team get dismantled like that.
Wicked Good Ag
Galpalvball

While she has struggled the last couple of weeks you have a player in Davis that can play OH for four years. Now I don't see at this time her being a back row option but she is hitting .204 for the season after a couple of weeks of struggle. Hans hit .230 or so her first year. You have a athletic RS in Rush that was the number 11 recruit in nation based on potential.
Most top flight players are committed by their sophomore years which for the 2020 season would be before Bird arrived but yet she was able to pull in Rush and Gomez. If Jenna Wenaas had not decomitted you have Hans replacement as a six rotation player. Tough loss.
Davis will be the outside next year and not sure who else it will be paired with her at this time but transfer portal maybe a solid option that the staff will look into. Sanders has shown to be someone who can back up at the pins and I am comfortable with any of the three middles in our rotation. Voss Fields and Basham can DS but any of those would be a drop off from Gomez this season but could step into the role next season.
sharpdressedman
galpalvball said:

Hans and Gomez have been exceptional this season. I watched the Corbelli's for 10 seasons and am very concerned about how badly we are going to drop off next year when the players they brought in are gone. Hans is clearly our best player. And we have no other athletic players to replace her. I am extremely concerned about that. Gomez is a one year senior that was brought in by this coaching staff, but is gone at seasons end. Hans has allowed this coaching staff to hide Lauren Davis on the court, but it is now clear her only chance of continuing to play next year, will be on the right side. We have been playing with one 6 six rotation outside all year, and it has clearly put too much pressure on Hans. 50% of time we have no back row attack, and our back row DS's are very below average and we can't really justify having them on the court when Gomez is gone. With Hans being gone next year, it doesn't appear that we have any 6 rotation outsides, which will leave this team in a tough position to win matches.

I know I've read about Kuhn being an excellent recruiter, but we are winning only because of the players the Corbelli's recruited. Rush is contributing occasionally on the right side; but next year Davis and Sanders need to be on the right side to contribute. 3 right sides and no 6 rotation outsides could make for a long 2020 season. Hans is clearly the only current player athletic enough to play 6 rotations, so this coaching staff is going to have to pull a rabbit out of their hat to keep winning once the Corbelli's players are gone. These coaches have to know by now that Davis is hitting ~.100 in conference play. With her only being a below average hitter that doesn't play defense, I don't know where our outside pin points are going to come from next year? Our setter and middles seem to be as good as any other team we have played, but without athletes like Hans, it will be too easy to shut down the middles and the right sides. The only way to build a strong program, is to keep athletes in the pipeline, and so far I haven't seen Kuhn bring in a single athlete that is even remotely capable of replacing Hans. I believe the glass at A&M is always half full, and I hope some athletic girls show up soon! Otherwise, we will continue to be in the middle of the conference for years to come. I want A&M at the top, but Kuhn needs athletes! And next year is her third season without a single impact player like Hans. I am hoping for the best, but athletes win games. And we clearly need to find some very soon if we are going to compete at the top of this conference and play in the tournament every year! The Corbelli's left Kuhn with very good middle blockers, an exceptional outside hitter, and a very good setter. Right now, Kuhn's recruiting reputation is clearly in question... gig em...
Thanks for you enlightened insight. I don't follow the sport very closely, but your critiques of Kuhn and players are consistent with what I have seen in watching several matches.

Edit for grammar
Wicked Good Ag
Sweep of Georgia in one of our best hitting matches of the season. Rush player really well on the RS and Davis was solid on the outside. If the three pin hitters Hans had the lowest hitting percentage and we were effective in the middle offensively with Talbert and defensively with Patterson
Georgia was tied for first in the conference after winning some key games early and we never really gave them a chance in the match except for one service run from their side.
Up next is Kentucky on road which is the best in conference so steal a win like Georgia did them would go a long way to our chances of playing for a conference championship and possibly host of first round
Rush has shown why the last two weeks why she was the number 11 recruit in nation last season based on potential. She is becoming more effective in system and blocking is getting much better in terms of lining up with the hitter and the college game for her is coming along really well
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Hand Of God
AG
RPI up to #11
Artimus Gordon
Hey wicked, where did this manaas girl end up? I don't see her on either Minnesota's or Stanford's roster?
Wicked Good Ag
Minnesota as per Gap is correct. She is a 2020 recruit who ended up in the top ten in the nation. #1 I believe although it could be #3. So a big loss nevertheless. Aggies got #92 and #60 for the 2020 season. Players in that range previously were Patterson and Lauren Davis who are the current starters and Corbelli recruits who stayed with commitment after the coaching change. Wenaas would have easily filled Hans position on the OH IMO just not as good from service line but probably a better passer coming out of the club ranks
Hans has improved tremendously in that regard since stepping foot on campus but she was a middle for many years in club IIRC
Gap
AG
Probably the biggest win of the season tonight.

3-1 win for the Aggies on the road against #15 Kentucky
flintdragon
AG
They are getting better and better. Earlier in the season, they may have lost that 4th set when Kentucky got a lot of momentum. But they closed it out strong. They've played every opponent this season strong.
coloradoag69
AG
The ladies just keep getting better. They really put the hammer down in sets 1,2, and 4 when they got to 20 points. That was a problem earlier in the season, but the last two matches have turned that problem around!

Without seeing the final stats, I think the difference between the two teams was the serve errors and aces. There was a graphic at some point in the third set that showed we only had two serve errors to UK's 10, and something like 6 aces for us and only 1 for UK. I could be wrong in the exact numbers but the total difference was about 15 points in our favor.

We really didn't make unforced errors, and I think we won the majority of the points that went more than two volleys per side. It was really an impressive showing.

If we can beat Missouri on Sunday, that would complete a really good two week run for the team.

I think someone said we were 11 RPI before we beat #8 Kentucky on the road. Particularly if we can beat Missouri, we'd have to be close to a top ten RPI. Surely a strong finish will get us to host the first two rounds. What a turn around that would be for a team that hasn't made the NCAA's the last two seasons.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Chapa96
AG
That would be huge to host the 1st two rounds and avoiding going to Austin!! Keep it going.
flintdragon
AG
watching the replay right now. The commentators said A&M is a bubble team for the tournament because they don't have a signature win. But with an RPI of 11, are they on the bubble?

Hans was incredible the first set. Rush was unbeatable the first half of 2nd set. Patterson was a wall to close out the 2nd.
coloradoag69
AG
You'd think a win over #8 on the road would be a signature win.

With a victory over Missouri - I know, don't count your chickens - you'd think that two wins in a week over ranked teams would satisfy that requirement.
flintdragon
AG
They were talking about it during the game and before the Aggies secured the victory.

mvegas
Aggies up 2 sets to 1. Took the 1st two. Reeled off an 11-1 run to win the 1st set. Set 3 was a disaster across the board. Hoping it's not another 5-setter.
mvegas
4th set: 12-10 Mizzou after the Aggies were up 3 or 4. Good Aggie time-out. Ultimately need much more out of Davis and Rush.
mvegas
Back and forth 4th. Mizzou time-out. Aggies lead 22-19.
mvegas
Aggies win 3-1. 25-22 in the 4th. Whoop!
Leander - Ag
RoseRichAg01
Good win over Mizzou.
Artimus Gordon
Another tremendous win for the team. And on the road too!
coloradoag69
AG
Our win today was at home for our Ladies. We dropped a five setter at Mizzou about three weeks ago. Revenge certainly is sweet.

In their current 5 game SEC win streak, they've beaten a team that was in the lead or tied for the league three times: Ole MIss (road), Georgia and Kentucky (road). They've also beaten two ranked teams: UK #8 and Mizzou #24. As of October 27th, the Ags had #11 RPI, and since then have beaten #8 UK on the road.

It's a really impressive run with a promising schedule ahead. There are seven games left, and four of the next five are at home. The hardest test left, and it is probably as tough as there is in the conference, is UF on the road the last game of the season. However, we have a realistic prospect of winning 13 or 14 conference games. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the season?
mullokmotx
AG
Another great win today. I love the entertainment the players on the bench provide. They aren't actually on the bench, but standing. I noticed today that when Hollan serves the yell leaders and some students cover their heads with their hands. I guess they are afraid of getting hit by a ricochet.
Artimus Gordon
Damn I was in town and could have gone to that game. I need to keep better tabs on the schedule!
PsychoAg98
AG
Game was fun, my kiddos had a blast.
I feel we should crack the top 25 after this weekend.
flintdragon
AG
#9 in RPI right now.
Wicked Good Ag
Rush had a solid game both blocking and attacking from the RS and Hans has been at an all American level for the past three weeks minimum. Conner didn't try to be near as offensive as she usually is but set well for the pins. Davis had some kills to keep a positive hitting percentage but has to be better OOS
We neutralized their main hitter in Deberg who honestly looked unenthusiastic playing yesterday and we ended up giving her line towards the end where she hit a couple out and nailed a couple down the line nearly hurting Fields in RB position. Middles got a lot of touches and you could see we were focused on blocking their outsides effectively.
Other than the third set we looked like a seeded team for the tourney. The way they are playing now I don't see them losing any conference games in the next two weeks maybe three. I can see us running the table until the season finale at Florida where I think we can win if we play the way we are playing now.
Stay the course and we should host first rounds of playoffs at Reed in early Dec

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.