TWO Aggies.selected to WRWC squad

1,522 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rugger74
FrickinFracker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TWO Aggies have been selected to the USA Women's Rugby squad for the Women's Rugby World Cup, which starts in August!! Stacey Bridges and Nic James are both former Aggie Women's Rugby players; Stacey is the senior player on the squad, leading the team with 28 international starts with the Eagles. The Lady Eagles (#7 in World Rankings) will play:
1) #9 Italy - Aug 9 @ 11:30 AM ET
2) #8 Spain - Aug 13 @ 9:45 AM ET
3) #1 England - Aug 17 @ 9:30 AM ET
I'll try to follow up with a streaming link or broadcast details - NBC just picked up USA Rugby's broadcast rights, so there is a chance this will be broadcast
rugger74
AG
Great news and thanks for the update. I met Nic at the USA vs Canada match in Round Rock back in Feb. at the Old Maroon tailgate. Wish her and our team success at the World Cup.
FrickinFracker
AG
I think I remember Stacey being on the women's team when RebelE and I were there. Not sure about Nic, but she's a year younger than me, so it's conceivable we were all on campus around the same timeframe
rugger74
AG
FF, I forgot to mention that our Women Eagles won the Cup in 1991 and TAMU was represented by Chris Harju. Her brother was my roommate and Rugby teammate, so we all knew Chris as little Harju.
FrickinFracker
AG
That's so cool! I had no idea we had an Ag on that squad
rugger74
AG
Think Stacey played in the first match against Italy. US won 24-12.
rugger74
AG
USA defeats Spain 43-0, favorite England up next to decide if we will enter championship round.
FrickinFracker
AG
http://www.thisisamericanrugby.com/2017/08/eagles-name-starters-to-face-england.html?m=1
Both former Aggies (Nic James and Stacey Bridges) are in the match day squad for the match against England tomorrow! Rugger74 has done a great job keeping y'all up to date with the scores.

A note on the significance of this match:
There are 3 pools of 4 teams. The winning team for each pool will go on to the Top 4 Bracket as well as the best runner up.

These pools operate on a points system similar to soccer. 4 points for a win, 0 for a loss, 1 Bonus Point for 4+ tries (TDs), 1 Bonus Point for a loss of less than 7 points.

England is #1 in the world but the points differentials for USA and England suggest that The Lady Eagles stand a chance to get the loss bonus point and a long shot chance at pulling the upset! The game will not be steamed live, but NBC Sports will tape delay broadcast.

There are 3 pools of 4 teams each. The winner of each pool and the best of the runners up will go through to the Top 4 Bracket. Canada has 9 points, Ireland 8, and France 10. So, many things can happen, but as long as we can earn at least one more point, we SHOULD make the Cup Bracket.

So root against Canada.
Root against France.

And of course:
Go Eagles!!!
FrickinFracker
AG
USA 26 - 47 ENG

We didn't get the win, but we did enough to earn the 4 try bonus point! Destiny is not yet sealed, but we're in the best possible position.

We need one of 2 things:
1) France beats Ireland and we're in
2) Ireland beats France and France earns zero bonus points

Go Eagles!!!
rugger74
AG
Thanks FF, it looks like we are in the finals. France bests Irish 21-5.
FrickinFracker
AG
You're right 74! We're in the Semis!!!
And BIG NEWS: NBC will broadcast the game!!!

Tuesday 11AM CST
USA vs New Zealand
https://www.usarugby.org/2017/08/nbc-sports-to-air-womens-rugby-world-cup-semifinal-between-eagles-new-zealand-live-tuesday-aug-22-at-noon-et/
FrickinFracker
AG
Well the Eagles lost in the Semifinals to New Zealand but put up an incredible fight! The final score was 45-12. We were still in striking distance with 12 minutes remaining. Proud of our Eagles. One more tough match ahead against the loser of England/France
rugger74
AG
Enjoyed the match yesterday and thought the Eagles played well. We can match the elite teams athletically and in fitness, but seem to lack the same rugby iq and skills they possess. Still impressed to be among the top four in the world.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.