MMA and Boxing fans: question on McGregor and Mayweather

6,642 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Kellso
aggierogue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Odds Conor can make it to a decision...win, lose or draw?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Not far off even, I would say: the thing you have to understand about Floyd Mayweather is that he considers his undefeated record as absolutely central to his legacy. That's why he refused to fight De La Hoya and Pacquaio until both were well past their primes, even though he would probably have beaten both fairly easily at the height of their careers (which would have been better for his actual legacy).

Floyd would rather win a boring fight by unanimous decision than concede any possibility of a "puncher's chance" leading to a blemish on his record. I would not be at all surprised if he danced around McGregor for 12 rounds and won a lopsided decision.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aad03
AG
It'll be interesting to see how Conor handles the different duration of rounds. I don't know if the shorter rounds and more frequent breaks will help or hurt him. I'd expect Conor to be the aggressor, looking for a big punch to stagger Floyd, and that may gas him out. Even now, Manny is ten times the puncher Conor is, and he couldn't connect on Floyd.

I see zero chance of Conor scoring a knockout against Floyd. So, yeah, I'm thinking Mayweather takes the unanimous decision, But I bet Conor wins one of the early rounds, maybe two.
Class of '03
carl spacklers hat
Mayweather is a runner. Bout will look like a track meet with Floyd backpedling most of the match. McGregor is going to want to brawl so he'll have to chase him around the ring all night.
RC_57
AG
Just watched a McGregor sparring (?) video.

Unless he was hoping Mayweather would watch the video, and McGregor intentionally looked bad so Mayweather gets lax, this will not end well for McGregor (and I'm not a Mayweather fan)
Silver Arrows
AG
Yeah it looks really bad when you watch the two side by side.

Side by Side
Old School Rucking
AG
This fight is corny. They should've at least agreed to MMA gloves. Better yet, box the first five, then switch to MMA for 3 rounds - put pressure on Floyd to knock Conor out.

This will be the easiest $100m that Floyd and Conor ever make.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Uncle Boo Boo said:

This fight is corny. They should've at least agreed to MMA gloves. Better yet, box the first five, then switch to MMA for 3 rounds - put pressure on Floyd to knock Conor out.

This will be the easiest $100m that Floyd and Conor ever make.
Conor will get "only" $75-80 million. And he has to spend 12 rounds getting punched in the face by Floyd Mayweather.

Poor guy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jtstanley4621
AG
I guess you can never say that someone has NO shot, but I agree with what's been said earlier. McGregor is definitely a more powerful puncher than Mayweather is, but I don't know if that will matter at all.

Mayweather is going to dance around the ring the entire time. McGregor is gonna have to come after him, and that could lead to Mayweather tiring him out in a big way. McGregor has likely never gone 12 rounds before, at least in an official boxing sense.

It's annoying because Floyd is absolutely a POS, and it would be hysterical to see him lose his undefeated legacy because of this fight. Do not think it happens though. McGregor has virtually no shot to win on decision and I just don't see him being able to get to Floyd with enough consistency to knock him out.
Kellso
jtstanley4621 said:

I guess you can never say that someone has NO shot, but I agree with what's been said earlier. McGregor is definitely a more powerful puncher than Mayweather is, but I don't know if that will matter at all.

Mayweather is going to dance around the ring the entire time. McGregor is gonna have to come after him, and that could lead to Mayweather tiring him out in a big way. McGregor has likely never gone 12 rounds before, at least in an official boxing sense.

It's annoying because Floyd is absolutely a POS, and it would be hysterical to see him lose his undefeated legacy because of this fight. Do not think it happens though. McGregor has virtually no shot to win on decision and I just don't see him being able to get to Floyd with enough consistency to knock him out.
LMFAO. No he is not. McGregor is not a more powerful puncher than Floyd Mayweather.

An elite Boxers hand speed and power is on a whole different level than an MMA athlete.

If an MMA athlete had hand speed and punching power like an elite boxer then he would be boxing and getting paid $10-25 Million per fight and not getting paid peanuts to be screwed over by Dana White in the UFC.

Canelo Alvarez is probably the hardest striker in the boxing game right now. A Mexican version of Mike Tyson. Mayweather went toe to toe with Alvarez the entire fight and completly outclassed him.

What do I know....Michael Bisping and Chael Sonnen say the exact same thing.

jtstanley4621
AG
Haha I guess I just assumed that since McGregor is bigger and Floyd is known more for his defense than punching power, McGregor was the stronger puncher. You're probably absolutely right though, wasn't trying to start an actual argument!

Mayweather just annoys me. I would like to see him lose, even though I think there's virtually no chance of that.
thirdcoast
AG
The most shocking thing is the public's expectation vs the money coming in on Floyd.

There are much better odds than I expected for Mayweather right now. The entire country of Ireland must have bet the ranch.
Matsui
AG
About the same odds as Trump winning the Presidency. McGregor has a chance. Floyd will probably out point him and score another win. Floyd rarely gets hit.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
thirdcoast said:

The most shocking thing is the public's expectation vs the money coming in on Floyd.

There are much better odds than I expected for Mayweather right now. The entire country of Ireland must have bet the ranch.
Wishin' and hopin'.

Mayweather is hated because he acts like a pro wrestling villain, on top of being a genuinely despicable person. Almost everyone who is not a Mayweather fan would enjoy seeing him get knocked unconscious, by Conor McGregor or anyone else.

Suggesting anything like a 20% chance of victory for McGregor is ridiculous, though. Even the opening +950 was not a good wager, much less the numbers that are coming in now. Vegas is going to make a killing on sucker bets for this one.
thirdcoast
AG
A) +250 Mayweather by points
B) +300 Mayweather by KO
C) +700 Connor by KO
D) +1000 Mayweather by opp. DQ

These are my bets with more money top to bottom. Pretty well hedged to make money on A or C, which is how I bet against Mayweather. I get cut bad if there is a TKO...I can see Mayweather opening up a cut on Conners face, so I may add a TKO bet so I dont lose so much.

Stupid to bet +160 on fight going distance, when you can bet +250 on Mayweather on points. 0% Connor wins after 12.

I can see Mayweather dancing around Connor for 12 rounds schooling him on the sport. But like everyone else I would LIKE to see Connor KO him!
aggierogue
AG
Kellso said:

jtstanley4621 said:

LMFAO. No he is not. McGregor is not a more powerful puncher than Floyd Mayweather.

An elite Boxers hand speed and power is on a whole different level than an MMA athlete.

If an MMA athlete had hand speed and punching power like an elite boxer then he would be boxing and getting paid $10-25 Million per fight and not getting paid peanuts to be screwed over by Dana White in the UFC.

Canelo Alvarez is probably the hardest striker in the boxing game right now. A Mexican version of Mike Tyson. Mayweather went toe to toe with Alvarez the entire fight and completly outclassed him.

What do I know....Michael Bisping and Chael Sonnen say the exact same thing.

And nearly everyone else disagrees. It's funny you use two of the biggest mouths, and likely the most jealous, as examples. No way Floyd hits harder than Conor. Not even close. If he did hit harder, he'd finish everyone he faced (a lot of little guys btw) with his exceptional movement. Instead, he runs and uses superior defensive boxing to outpoint his opponents. Conor, meanwhile, sleeps nearly everyone he faces.

Most everyone, including the former world champion boxer currently working with Conor, admit to Conor being the heavier hitter. Probably won't matter in a boxing match against a superior boxer. But the power is not close.
thirdcoast
AG
Quote:

If he did hit harder, he'd finish everyone he faced (a lot of little guys btw) with his exceptional movement. Instead, he runs and uses superior defensive boxing to outpoint his opponents. Conor, meanwhile, sleeps nearly everyone he faces.

Do you think Connor would be KO'ing these guys in UFC with +10oz gloves?

Do you think Floyd would have the same results with 4oz gloves?

Not sure how you can ignore the physics between the fist and jaw as it relates to KOs. On top of that, you have MMA fighters who expose themselves having to defend everything else, while boxers just have to bob and weave with their gloves/pads protecting their head.
thirdcoast
AG
LOL

Dremond Green gets owned by CM

Prior court records show Floyd struck his baby momma, angry over texts he saw from CJ Watson....
aggierogue
AG
thirdcoast said:

Quote:

If he did hit harder, he'd finish everyone he faced (a lot of little guys btw) with his exceptional movement. Instead, he runs and uses superior defensive boxing to outpoint his opponents. Conor, meanwhile, sleeps nearly everyone he faces.

Not sure how you can ignore the physics between the fist and jaw as it relates to KOs. On top of that, you have MMA fighters who expose themselves having to defend everything else, while boxers just have to bob and weave with their gloves/pads protecting their head.
Not ignoring anything. Conor fights men just like Mayweather does. The interesting thing is that when Conor lands his left hand, they all fall down. Why is that? Many other fighters have fought Dustin Porrier, Eddie Alvarez, Nate Diaz, Jose Aldo, etc. Many have hit those guys. They didn't fall down looking dumbfounded like they did when Conor's left landed. Comparatively speaking, Floyd hits his opponents all the time and they don't fall down. He hasn't KO'd anyone in years.

Now either the MMA guys that Conor hits just aren't the same kind of men (jaw-wise and the ability to take a punch), or common sense would tell you that Conor just has a much more powerful punch.

Floyd Mayweather is not known to be a heavy puncher in boxing. He's also fighting and landing (at a high pace actually) on much smaller individuals whose physical makeup wouldn't be able to take the same power that a guy like Eddie Alvarez or Nate Diaz (larger men) can take.

Conor, on the other hand, has fought larger men and sits them routinely. Many who have sparred with him say he hits like a middleweight.

It's okay to champion Mayweather without trying to argue erroneously that he is a harder puncher.

Mayweather most likely wins the fight. But it won't be b/c he has more power.
thirdcoast
AG
I wouldnt argue Floyd has more power on any one punch. Im betting hes gonna dance around Conor..pop..pop-pop....pop for 12 rounds.

That said, there is too much focus everywhere on power. Conor himself credits his precision and timing, over power. Thats how he lands the cleaner blows in the octagon putting guys to sleep.

I think Paulie Malignaggi (Conor's sparring partner) has an interesting take:

Quote:

Boxing is about changing the look....its about variation at the world class level...thats how boxing works.

No doubt Conor can change looks and come at Floyd unconventionally. But Mayweather has the best boxing defense ever.

I think there will be some surprising moments. Floyd has everything to loose by not going for the safe win on points. Conor has everything to gain by not getting knocked out and going 12 rds with the best. Conor proves the boxing world wrong ig he doesnt get KO'd.

Floyd on points +250

"A government big enough to take what you have is ok, as long as it promises to give you what you want" -Left
Mike Elko
AG
I really hope Conor pulls the huge upset and beats Floyd's women-hitting ass... But, it's not gonna happen. I don't see Floyd knocking Conor out (at least early in the fight), but he'll definitely win by unanimous decision 'cause of how much he moves/dances around the ring.
jtstanley4621
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

I really hope Conor pulls the huge upset and beats Floyd's women-hitting ass... But, it's not gonna happen. I don't see Floyd knocking Conor out (at least early in the fight), but he'll definitely win by unanimous decision 'cause of how much he moves/dances around the ring.
Agreed. The only way I think Conor could do it is to go all out for a knockout. But that would require getting close to Floyd, and Floyd is definitely okay with just running away and winning on decision. Don't see how it happens unfortunately.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
I think that if Conor gets hyper-aggressive at the beginning of the fight, Floyd will deflect his attacks easily with his elite defensive prowess. In the end, Conor ends up tired and Floyd will keep him at arm's length.

I think McGregor's best chance (barring some divine intervention outcome like Floyd tearing his ACL) is just to try to stay alive and hope Floyd will feel some obligation to try to knock him out. A one or two punch KO in the 10th is much more likely than a first round triumph, IMO.
ATM9000
AG
aggierogue said:

thirdcoast said:

Quote:

Not ignoring anything. Conor fights men just like Mayweather does. The interesting thing is that when Conor lands his left hand, they all fall down. Why is that? Many other fighters have fought Dustin Porrier, Eddie Alvarez, Nate Diaz, Jose Aldo, etc. Many have hit those guys. They didn't fall down looking dumbfounded like they did when Conor's left landed. Comparatively speaking, Floyd hits his opponents all the time and they don't fall down. He hasn't KO'd anyone in years.

Now either the MMA guys that Conor hits just aren't the same kind of men (jaw-wise and the ability to take a punch), or common sense would tell you that Conor just has a much more powerful punch.

Floyd Mayweather is not known to be a heavy puncher in boxing. He's also fighting and landing (at a high pace actually) on much smaller individuals whose physical makeup wouldn't be able to take the same power that a guy like Eddie Alvarez or Nate Diaz (larger men) can take.

Conor, on the other hand, has fought larger men and sits them routinely. Many who have sparred with him say he hits like a middleweight.

It's okay to champion Mayweather without trying to argue erroneously that he is a harder puncher.

MMA attacks have a wider breadth, boxing is way tighter. As a result, you have one sport where it's way easier to find openings to throw completely wind up haymakers (MMA) vs. boxing where nearly every punch thrown is coming from a tight place. That's why KO's in MMA in general are way more common. Has nothing to do with MMA fighters having more power. It has to do with the difference in the 2 sports.

Boxers generally pack more powerful punches and are miles quicker and more efficient than MMA fighters. That's the nature of the 2 sports. Obviously, either would lose in the other one's sport (boxer would lose MMA, MMA fighter lose a boxing match). Would be shocked if Mayweather takes this to decision and doubly shocked if he were to drop the match. A fight like this is fun, but in no reality is it an even or interesting matchup. Mayweather is going to roll McGregor.
aggierogue
AG
ATM9000 said:

aggierogue said:

thirdcoast said:

Quote:

MMA attacks have a wider breadth, boxing is way tighter. As a result, you have one sport where it's way easier to find openings to throw completely wind up haymakers (MMA) vs. boxing where nearly every punch thrown is coming from a tight place. That's why KO's in MMA in general are way more common. Has nothing to do with MMA fighters having more power. It has to do with the difference in the 2 sports.

Boxers generally pack more powerful punches and are miles quicker and more efficient than MMA fighters. That's the nature of the 2 sports. Obviously, either would lose in the other one's sport (boxer would lose MMA, MMA fighter lose a boxing match). Would be shocked if Mayweather takes this to decision and doubly shocked if he were to drop the match. A fight like this is fun, but in no reality is it an even or interesting matchup. Mayweather is going to roll McGregor.
Don't disagree. But we aren't comparing boxers in general. We're comparing McGregor vs Mayweather on power. Conor has more, but I agree Mayweather likely embarrasses him. I'm still pulling for Conor and the MMA world.
ATM9000
AG
aggierogue said:

ATM9000 said:

aggierogue said:

thirdcoast said:

Quote:

Don't disagree. But we aren't comparing boxers in general. We're comparing McGregor vs Mayweather on power. Conor has more, but I agree Mayweather likely embarrasses him. I'm still pulling for Conor and the MMA world.

But what you are missing is you can't really watch or look at an MMA fighter vs a boxer and make declarations about their power. The sports are just that much different. Even the footwork and placement boxers throw punches off of vs MMA fighters are vastly different and effect power. That's why declaring McGregor has more power at this point is ridiculous and silly.
StorminAg
AG
Would be much more interesting if Floyd had the balls to step in the octagon.
thirdcoast
AG
Quote:

Would be shocked if Mayweather takes this to decision and doubly shocked if he were to drop the match. A fight like this is fun, but in no reality is it an even or interesting matchup. Mayweather is going to roll McGregor.

Odds favor a Mayweather decision over a Mayweather KO. Not sure why you would be shocked.

Conor grew up boxing and won an amateur/novice title in Dublin at age 16. The only real video of Conor sparring came out June 2016 with the south african pro. He has had a year to do nothing but boxing, with hired pro boxers. Im not saying Conor is anywhere near Mayweather's level, even at 40 yo. BUT, IF Conor's gameplan is just to survive 12 rounds, and Mayweather's plan is to dance around Conor making him look stupid, then many people may be shocked amd disappointed.

Floyd can defend the sport of boxing and go for KO, or he can choose to defend his own legacy and dominate on defense and points. Mayweather goes for the KO, only IF the opportunity presents itself in rd 8-12, if not, he just puts on a boxing clinic.
"A government big enough to take what you have is ok, as long as it promises to give you what you want" -Left
ATM9000
AG
thirdcoast said:

Quote:

Would be shocked if Mayweather takes this to decision and doubly shocked if he were to drop the match. A fight like this is fun, but in no reality is it an even or interesting matchup. Mayweather is going to roll McGregor.

Odds favor a Mayweather decision over a Mayweather KO. Not sure why you would be shocked.

Conor grew up boxing and won an amateur/novice title in Dublin at age 16. The only real video of Conor sparring came out June 2016 with the south african pro. He has had a year to do nothing but boxing, with hired pro boxers. Im not saying Conor is anywhere near Mayweather's level, even at 40 yo. BUT, IF Conor's gameplan is just to survive 12 rounds, and Mayweather's plan is to dance around Conor making him look stupid, then many people may be shocked amd disappointed.

Floyd can defend the sport of boxing and go for KO, or he can choose to defend his own legacy and dominate on defense and points. Mayweather goes for the KO, only IF the opportunity presents itself in rd 8-12, if not, he just puts on a boxing clinic.

I'd be shocked because I'm a big 10k hours theory guy when it comes to combat sports and I just don't think Conor has close to the experience to be a competent pro boxer let alone contend with possibly the greatest ever. Unless he has an insane amount of experience that we don't enough JUST training boxing and not MMA boxing, he will probably make an error in his defense at some point and Floyd is too smart not to capitalize.

Floyd is a dick and probably sort of dumb in real life... But in the ring, he's not just the best defender ever, but maybe the tactically smartest fighter ever. If McGregor leaves an opening in his defense at all let alone multiple times which is likely, Floyd will find it and end the fight and will go home once again without a scratch on him.

Floyd hasn't finished fights lately but he's also fought a bunch of world class, have trained for years in boxing fighters. I realize Floyd is older now, but McGregor the boxer is going to look a lot more like Floyd opponents in the late 90's than he is going to look like Cotto, De La Hoya, Hatton, etc. Against opponents like the late 90's mediocre boxers, Floyd trashed those guys early round all the time.

You have to realize that most if not all pro boxers won championships (even the cans of corn) have won a bunch of amateur championships. And that year that McGregor has taken to train just boxing? Yeah... Floyd's had about 30 of those... And most low level pros have done that for a few years before switching from pro to amateur...

Maybe McGregor is special and doesn't need years of training to not get rolled by Floyd. But I see the match looking a hell of a lot like when Couture fought Toney in the Octagon 8 or 9 years ago.
thirdcoast
AG
This fight will look nothing like an octagon fight with MMA rules. It could certianly look one sided with one fighter looking like a fish out of water....if thats the analogy you were trying to make with Randy vs Toney.

I just dont see a KO quick from Mayweather. He will feel Conor out for 4 rounds, then pick him apart the next 4, then maybe knock him out in the last 4. The whole time he will dodge the occasional haymaker, and be countering with points at will.
ATM9000
AG
When i talk Toney/ Couture I'm speaking of the fish out of water factor.
thirdcoast
AG
8oz gloves approved. More PPV cash for Floyd.

Floyd still going to dance around, pop-pop-pop, dance, pop-pop-pop, dance...make Conor look like an amateur, and take the majority decision with ease.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
thirdcoast said:

8oz gloves approved. More PPV cash for Floyd.

Floyd still going to dance around, pop-pop-pop, dance, pop-pop-pop, dance...make Conor look like an amateur, and take the majority decision with ease.
So wait, you're predicting a dominating victory for Floyd in which one of the judges scores the fight a draw?

I mean, it could happen, this is boxing after all, but I'm thinking 120-108 is more likely.
aad03
AG
I bet Connor gets a round.
Class of '03
TX scallywAG
AG
The best analogy I can think of....

You know when some of the best professional poker players in world get knocked out of tournaments early by sub par players who don't know what they're doing ... in other words they don't react or play hands like professional poker players typically would.

That's Connor in this fight. That is his biggest strength IMO. Floyd is accustom to fighting and reacting to boxers. If Connor can get him off his game and land a few solid punches early, it'll get interesting.

Floyd is going to dance. His comment that's he's going after him is purely a mind game.

One thing is certain... the crowd is made up fans pulling for the underdog and the old guard who wants to see a MMA fighter go down in a gentlemen's sport... all paying money to see it.

The 8 oz gloves are interesting... to anyone saying it doesn't matter, see the letter below. I do think it makes Connor's left more likely to put him down. Also shows Floyd is extremely confident. This also after Floyd agreed to fight at 154.

Quote:

The Association of Ringside Physicians understands that consideration is being given to amend current regulations, and in so doing, permit the use of 8oz Gloves in the forthcoming boxing match between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. This is a bout that has already been set a (sic) specific weight class. Unless there is scientific evidence to support the view that such a change might improve the safety of this bout, we would strongly caution against allowing current regulation to be over-ruled. To do so would also set a precent for future bouts.

Respectfully,

Dr. Raymond M. Monsell

MSc MC BC FFSEM Dip Sport Med

Chairman of the Board of Directors

Association of Ringside Physicians

We can all speculate... but it's always one good punch away from being over for either side.

Pulling for Connor. I do think he has a chance. It isn't over before it starts. Agree with Vegas it's less of a chance though.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.