MMA and Boxing fans: question on McGregor and Mayweather

6,633 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Kellso
Old School Rucking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's funny how much the betting odds have moved in the last few weeks - especially after that video of Conor cracking Paulie Malignoggi in sparring. Conor is currently less of an underdog vs Floyd than Canelo.
StorminAg
AG
Regardless of what happens, I hope Dana can get the two of them in the Octagon for a rematch.
jtstanley4621
AG
StorminAg said:

Regardless of what happens, I hope Dana can get the two of them in the Octagon for a rematch.

No way in hell would Floyd step into the octagon. He is so ill equipped for that, McGregor would murder him
AggieSportsGuy
AG
The cool part is if Conor loses he will take the loss in stride and work just as hard for the next challenge. He never settles and is a tireless worker, that's why I like him.
Cancelled
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

StorminAg said:

No way in hell would Floyd step into the octagon. He is so ill equipped for that, McGregor would murder him

Just like the Cowboys wouldn't play rugby. Different sports.
StorminAg
AG
queso1 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

StorminAg said:

You could say the same thing about McGregor and boxing. If Connor is stepping outside his box then why can't Floyd in a rematch?
ATM9000
AG
StorminAg said:

queso1 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

StorminAg said:

You could say the same thing about McGregor and boxing. If Connor is stepping outside his box then why can't Floyd in a rematch?

Because the one box will likely net both 9 figures for sure and the other box almost for sure wouldn't.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Just hoping to get a real fight vs that Mayweather-PacMan fraud. When both guys are making this much payola, I do wonder where their mind and motivation will be when the bell rings. I think Macgregor will be attempting to bring it, but you never know. $75 million is a big number.
StorminAg
AG
"Let's get the fans wild for this and let's go have a proper knock....................under specific rules to keep you alive."

Connor is a next level s*** talker.
Matsui
AG
Both fighters are making a lot more than $75 million
ac04
mayweather should be about -1500 or -2000 instead of -550
Matsui
AG
Anyone know a stream to watch it for free?
black_hat_ag
Matsui said:

Anyone know a stream to watch it for free?
should be a periscope feed
Texags is garbage
Conor did a fantastic job of promoting this fight. We pretty much know Floyd is going to dodge and counterpunch all night, but this has been quite the event.
ac04
me last night when the MMA fans at the party realized what was happening

Kellso
Does anyone still think Connor is a more powerful puncher than Floyd Mayweather?

Make no mistake about it.....Mayweather did not want to embarrass Connor or Dana White since they both helped promote a huge fight and huge pay day.

He let Connor win a few rounds and lose with his head held high. Connor is still a star. The more Connor wins in the future the more it helps Mayweathers legacy,

Mayweather knows all these things. He could have ended that fight in 6 rounds.

If Connor McGregor was in the ring with Canelo Alvarez he would have been asleep within 4 rounds.

Boxers punch a lot harder than MMA fighters.
Kellso
aggierogue said:

thirdcoast said:

Quote:

If he did hit harder, he'd finish everyone he faced (a lot of little guys btw) with his exceptional movement. Instead, he runs and uses superior defensive boxing to outpoint his opponents. Conor, meanwhile, sleeps nearly everyone he faces.

Do you think Connor would be KO'ing these guys in UFC with +10oz gloves?

Do you think Floyd would have the same results with 4oz gloves?

Not sure how you can ignore the physics between the fist and jaw as it relates to KOs. On top of that, you have MMA fighters who expose themselves having to defend everything else, while boxers just have to bob and weave with their gloves/pads protecting their head.
Not ignoring anything. Conor fights men just like Mayweather does. The interesting thing is that when Conor lands his left hand, they all fall down. Why is that? Many other fighters have fought Dustin Porrier, Eddie Alvarez, Nate Diaz, Jose Aldo, etc. Many have hit those guys. They didn't fall down looking dumbfounded like they did when Conor's left landed. Comparatively speaking, Floyd hits his opponents all the time and they don't fall down. He hasn't KO'd anyone in years.

Now either the MMA guys that Conor hits just aren't the same kind of men (jaw-wise and the ability to take a punch), or common sense would tell you that Conor just has a much more powerful punch.

Floyd Mayweather is not known to be a heavy puncher in boxing. He's also fighting and landing (at a high pace actually) on much smaller individuals whose physical makeup wouldn't be able to take the same power that a guy like Eddie Alvarez or Nate Diaz (larger men) can take.

Conor, on the other hand, has fought larger men and sits them routinely. Many who have sparred with him say he hits like a middleweight.

It's okay to champion Mayweather without trying to argue erroneously that he is a harder puncher.

Mayweather most likely wins the fight. But it won't be b/c he has more power.
aggierogue,

Do you still think Connor McGreggor hits harder than Floyd Mayweather?

I watched that fight on Saturday and Floyd didn't respect Connors power at all. He didn't counter punch the whole night...he just kept coming forward daring Connor to hit him with all he had.

Once Connor ran out of gas Mayweather knocked his ass out.

As another poster stated....you can't compare boxers and mma guys. You can't watch an MMA guy knock out another MMA guy and state he punches harder than a world class boxer.

If an MMA guy can punch as hard as someone like Canelo or GGG they would be boxing and making $10-25 Million a fight rather than the peanuts they make in the octagon.
Kellso
jtstanley4621 said:

StorminAg said:

It looks like Floyd Mayweather is training to fight Connor McGreggor in the Octagon.

Mayweather is training with Tyron Woodley.

This will most likely be a 9 figure fight.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.