Aggie Track and Field Recruiting News

191,738 Views | 1128 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by taylorswift13_
triniaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Milesplit commentators believe Texas is probably her best choice at this time
taylorswift13
aggiedrjdub
AG
Is this the something big Pat Henry was referring to?
Look Out Below
AG
Why would they think that...we've had three different female NCAA champions/record holders in the 800 in the last five years. We have a dedicated 800 meter coach. They do not. That is comical.
triniaggie
AG
They said because she and her family visit Austin frequently and she loves Austin.
Also they mentioned Texas is great middle distance college with currently the top 1 and 2 times in the NCAA on the men side and the 4th best on the women side.
I think it is a biased view though

You can look at the video below

On The Line: Millrose, Sophia Gorriaran And Eastern Indoors (milesplit.com)

The discussion on Sophia starts at 44.30
Look Out Below
AG
They wouldn't be 1 and 2 if Whitmarsh was running...
taylorswift13
AG
I wish Whitmarsh were healthy! But I'm sure Sophia and her family are taking a lot more into consideration than this season where their only 800 girl is nearly 23 years old! I haven't watched the link but if it's the two Mile split guys they've always had a clear narrative against us and in favor of Austin. They live and work in Austin and want to keep them happy… ultimately Sophia could possibly go there but they will overrun her and make her do longer distances and cross country… they've had maybe 1 solid distance girl in the past 6/7 years and one middle distance star who bloomed late in her grad years!
Look Out Below
AG
Not to mention we literally have a female 800 runner that transferred from there. Speaks volume about their 800 situation.
taylorswift13
AG
Yes from what i heard is if you're anything above a 400 runner, Floreal wants you running cross country no ifs ands or buts! He takes solid mid distance people and runs them all of cross and expects them to produce indoors right away! They're dead by April May June he will over run Sophia and hurt her chances for trials
taylorswift13
AG
Also every distance runner in the planet has their track and cross country times on their tffrs page, and so does every Texas athlete except Valery Tobias… her tffrs page only has her track times……… that's interesting and very odd! It's almost like Texas is trying to hide how much they make her 800 runner run

https://www.tfrrs.org/athletes/7008908/Texas/Valery_Tobias.html
taylorswift13
AG
INCOMING… BOOM! 3:42 1500 METER RUNNER IS AN AGGIE! Only 19 years of age as well! Not sure when he will enter, but what a pick up!! Distance squad got deeper!

https://instagr.am/p/CodRFMwvyxA
triniaggie
AG
Sophia Gorriaran chose Harvard
taylorswift13
AG
Can't fault her for that decision! Just wish we got an elite 800 runner
triniaggie
AG
I am sure we can find an international elite 800m runner
taylorswift13
AG
I hope so! I wonder if the international guy we signed will do cross country also?
Guest Commenter
New signee Andrej Gajdos from Czech Republic has some nice times. I didn't realize how astounding his credentials really were since we don't often get incoming distance guys of this caliber(times related).

His 3000m time would have been 11th on national outdoor lists last year.
His 1500 time would place him prematurely on the top 10 Track and Field rankings(only 3 listed so far in the early season; check back later this summer).

This 1500 time however compared to others on that list shows that their ability to run 1500 m translates to <= 4 min milers. The lists from TrackandField News reflect that he may be similar in ability to be amongst the
best milers in the nation and perhaps be one of the, if not the fastest, incoming freshmen miler A&M has had.

I don't recall Ingebritzsen's(sp) numbers but this is a rare quality pickup. It will make for a possible record setting DMR at A&M next year above whatever we do this year at SECs or nationals. Exciting pickup for sure!!
94chem
taylorswift13 said:

Can't fault her for that decision! Just wish we got an elite 800 runner
I guess she's looking to break 2:00 this season. Her current best is 2:00.65, I believe.

I'm pretty interested to see how my daughter does this year. She's never really trained in track because she's always in XC. But she ran 2:17 as a sophomore, took the year off to study abroad, and is now back for her senior year. In the first meet she ran 2:21 in both the DMR and the individual 800, plus a 60.7 split in the 4x4. Nobody at Kingwood has ever gone under 2:11, so we'll see what happens this season. I'm hoping she makes the 6A state meet in the 800. She's a NMS with a 1570 SAT, but no D3 schools offered any aid - just admission. She's kind of thinking that she has some unfinished business in track, though. They got 3rd in state in XC, but T&F is where she seems to shine. Hoping for an injury-free and fun spring!
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
taylorswift13
AG
All the best to your daughter! That's a very solid start to the season especially in these cooler rust busting meets! After all that training for cross country and a solid 60 split she can run some good times! With more of an emphasis on track speed work and more races under her belt she can do great! Region 3 looks strong and looks to bring back two solid underclassmen! And Madison Peters, who's a star!

I was in a similar boat my recruiting cycle. I got some d1 offers that didn't offer much aid and some d2 offers that would only offer academic money. My family was in the middle of couldn't afford to send me to college and weren't poor enough to receive a lot of financial aid, only some but it was around this time where A&M offered me an academic scholarship to go with financial aid that I couldn't turn down and although track and field was my passion (in case people haven't noticed lol) I knew it was time for all of it to end!

However anything around a 2:15 or lower gives her a chance to walk on if she desires! And a solid senior season can change some coaches minds! But I'll keep on the lookout for her and will cheer like crazy if I'm ever at the same meet!
94chem
Peters is fantastic. Her sophomore year she didn't qualify for State in XC because she had a "heat stroke" with about 200 yards to go on the Huntsville course. The race start was 96 degrees.

Last fall she ended up running the McNeil varsity race instead of Gold - it was crazy. Finally got to see her race against the best in the state at the state meet, but the Humphries twins were just too much.

As for my daughter, she has some serious speed, but the 800 is such a technical race. I think she will easily be a sub-2:10 runner if she gets the reps she needs managing the splits. It's such a fun race for spectators.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DoitBest
S
Sounds like she has built a solid foundation in XC, time to go have fun on the track!!! Enjoy the season!
94chem
2:17 yesterday. Splits were 68 and 69. Finished 3rd, but after a year off, I told her that in the last week of Feb, it's a better to run tight splits than to fly and die on the shoulder of the leader. Once she breaks 2:15 "organically," then she can worry about being extraordinary. I was really proud of her for not dropping a 63 and flaming out on the back stretch. Takes some discipline after a year off to hit the 400 mark in 9th place. The only issue is that when you put the pedal down at 450 to see who wants to race, you have to pass a lot of flack on the curve.

She also posted a 59.xx 4x400 split. She's never had a time off a block, and her coaches were yelling at her for not running hard until the last 200m. Now that she understands it's a sprint, lol, she'll get a 400 time to see how that goes.

One more thing. The Sam Mosley event in Humble was a disaster. IDK how you can have a 22 minute delay between 800 heats and 5+ minute delays between 100 heats. I doubt our team will return, even though it was on our home district field.

94chem,
taylorswift13
AG
Awesome! Great early improvements for your daughter! The splits are strong and that does take discipline! February and March are for learning and seeing what you are capable of! Madison Peters went to 2:15 and was edged out by a regional foe from Clear Springs! If she keeps bettering that 400 speed! She'll have the strength and speed to go with Peters and crew and get close to 2:12! But the improvements are showing!! Only upward from here!
taylorswift13
AG
And lol some high school track meets are ran so poorly, it seems to get worse every year
jt2hunt
AG
What do you think of Pat Henry's recent comments regarding his having to adjust and start playing the NIL game to recruit?
taylorswift13
AG
Following track as close I do and having been on the recruiting trail with athletes or talked to athletes who have, it was obvious we are behind! Other schools in Texas are adamantly pushing that Pat Henry and A&M are against NIL and look down upon it… when it first came out Pat Henry was very against it while other coaches embraced it! Florida, Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, LSU, and many others embraced it and took off running with it which is why they have been able to attract top transfers each semester! It's ridiculous and unacceptable we are in this situation to begin with… we are 2 years behind! We have 3 entires in nationals for the men's team, 1 is hurt… Pat Henry allowed his program to decline, let's see if he can take it back to the top! I want to believe
Ag4eva95
His comments were very concerning. We've all seen the decline. NIL has been around 2 full seasons now? Which means he's behind 2 full classes(to your point). Hope he turns it around. You can see he hasn't quit fighting, and he's willing to change. First important step! Embrace the change
taylorswift13
AG
You are right! I hope so also! This summer will be really telling!
triniaggie
AG
Added to which many NCAA athletes, Olympic Participants and Olympic medallist who we expected to go pro are all back for their schools competing again which makes us even at a further disadvantage.
94chem
And let's be honest. The uniforms that T&F athletes wear are just like the women's volleyball outfits. They have virtually nothing to do with performance. They are about embracing the sensuality of the sport, to the point where the only remaining step would be to run naked like the ancient Greeks. As a father of 3 daughters, the non-sensical uniforms are an affront, but if that's the way things are, might as well monetize it, amirite?
94chem,
94chem
taylorswift13 said:

Awesome! Great early improvements for your daughter! The splits are strong and that does take discipline! February and March are for learning and seeing what you are capable of! Madison Peters went to 2:15 and was edged out by a regional foe from Clear Springs! If she keeps bettering that 400 speed! She'll have the strength and speed to go with Peters and crew and get close to 2:12! But the improvements are showing!! Only upward from here!
2:17.12 at Seven Lakes Relays Saturday. Small PR, but came through the 600 around 1:40 - 1:41 and won by 3 seconds.

I was running The Woodlands Marathon, so I missed the meet, but Seven Lakes is an absolutely brutal place on a warm day. There's not an ounce of shade anywhere. They have an XC meet there every September. That's the meet where our coach made the team race shock a few years ago, and my daughter went out in 74 seconds in 85 degrees at 8 a.m. He's since abandoned trying that at Seven Lakes.
94chem,
taylorswift13
AG
She is ready to sub 2:15! I bet she gets to 2:15 before district!!! Then it's all pacing and racing from there on out! That region will be fun to follow! I wonder if Peters runs all 3 events! That regional could make her run a big PR around 2:12/2:13! I hope she's prepping and training to peak for that race!
94chem
Apparently we can't take any college visits this weekend. It's a dead period, whatever that means. What does "unofficial visit" mean? Does that include meeting with professors?
94chem,
DoitBest
S
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/recruiting/calendar/2022-23/2022-23D1Rec_XTFRRecruitingCalendar.pdf
94chem
Thank you.
94chem,
94chem
2:15.48 today. Edged out by a step, but a 1.64 second PR 5 days after a PR.
94chem,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.