***** Boardgame Discussion Thread *****

92,714 Views | 670 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BQRyno
AcctAg11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
kdm_01 said:

Anybody give Scythe a try yet? From what I've read I'm definitely interested. But the availability and cost are making me hesitant.

I've played around 20 games or so of varying sizes on Tabletop Simulator. It's an interesting strategy (or 4X, though that's debatable) game that tries to change each time you play it, if you randomize the faction and player maps. If you play with less than 5, it provides even more variety due to factions and mats not being used.

Once you learn the game mechanics, you find that it's a very simple game to play. It is a game about maximizing the efficiency of each turn. The strategy comes from deciding whether to maximize efficiency or to take a less efficient turn to move closer to winning. You also need to plan a few turns in advance.

I have a few complaints about it that lower my opinion of the game after multiple plays. I feel like the game can get a bit boring if you play with very conservative players, as there won't be much player interaction and everyone can still accomplish their goals without it. Playing with a table of aggressive players makes the game so much more fun and interesting, but many groups (especially casual gamers) likely aren't aggressive enough to keep the game interesting.

I also feel like the replayability isn't as great as it should be, even with the random matching of factions to player mats. While each faction is unique, you can tailor any of them to play to a specific player mat and the way you play that mat likely doesn't change much based on the faction.

For me, my first few games were pretty exciting, but once I figured out how to maximize each player mat, the game became less interesting. It's a very well done game, though, in nearly every aspect. If it had some other factor to make each game a bit different (for example, if the resource tiles were in different positions each game), I would say the game would have top ratings.

To sum up, the game has great mechanics, great art and is simple to learn. However, it can suffer from a table of players who are afraid to make moves against other players and it can suffer a lack of replayability after 10-15 games or so.

I would rate the game overall as an 8 out of 10, though that may lower a point or 2 if you are looking for a game that you can have fun with after 20+ sessions.
kdm_01
AG
Thanks!
I've yet to try Table Top Simulator. Maybe that's my next step.
West Texan
AG
I got Axis & Allies: 1914 for Christmas. I've always been an Axis & Allies fan and I'm excited to play this version.
SPullig
How does tabletop simulator work exactly? I know people make mods of the games but do you then download and play online vs others? Can you make your own mods for games and how difficult is that? I think it's on sale right now on steam so I may pick it up
Bulldog73
AG
We finally played Pandemic Legacy month one yesterday. The first game we played last night was basically the exact game as the previous version of the game, but it was fun choosing advantages for the next time we play. I'm not reading spoilers or anything for future games, but we are excited for it.
Bryan98
AG
A year later, and now I've played through Pandemic Legacy with the same group of people the whole time. I'm looking forward to playing more of a variety of games for a while.

Some other games I enjoyed in 2016:

Codenames
Secret Hitler
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Star Wars Rebellion

Got a bunch of games for Christmas, as well. I'll try to post in this thread more frequently. I'd still like to do a TexAgs Houston boardgame meetup sometime - and if anyone doesn't know, there is a thread for people going to PAX South later this month.
AcctAg11
AG
SPullig said:

How does tabletop simulator work exactly? I know people make mods of the games but do you then download and play online vs others? Can you make your own mods for games and how difficult is that? I think it's on sale right now on steam so I may pick it up

I've never tried making my own content for TTS, so I can't really comment on the difficulty. However, there is already content (in many cases, multiple versions) for most board games, tabletop games and miniatures available for free. All you need to do to have the mods show up in game is to find them in the Steam workshop and click "subscribe". It's that easy. While I haven't made any content, I have set up unique board states and modified existing content so that I could host it easily. Not hard to do at all.

TTS does have a few games (of which, Scythe is one) available for a few $'s as DLC. HOWEVER, you only need those DLC to host the game. You do not need the DLC to join a game if someone else who has it is hosting.

When you open up TTS, you can look in the multiplayer tab for "tables", which are hosted by other players. It tells you the name given to the table by the host, the current game/content being hosted, the number of players at the table, and the location of the Host (e.g. "US" for the USA, "RU" for Russia, etc.).

When you join a table or start your own, you choose a color for a seat at the table or to be a spectator. The table has a chat window as well as various voice chat channels.

Interacting with the table and pieces is straightforward: think of the mouse as your hand. Click and hokd to pick things up, let go to drop. There are a few hotkey's to learn, such as shuffle, flip, and a few others. There is a tutorial that covers most of it, the rest can be found pretty quickly by looking at (and modifying) the controls.

The host and others (depending on how the Host set things up) have the ability to import objects, save and load games, rewind to past states (if a troll comes and messes things up), and many other options. The community is pretty good and helpful.

It also has a decent physics engine, which allows for objects to collide, bounce, roll, and all sorts of things.

I picked it up last year for $10 and it was well worth it, even if just to test out games i wouldn't have bought. I learned so many new games from TTS. Well worth it on sale.
Bryan98
AG
kdm_01 said:

Anybody give Scythe a try yet? From what I've read I'm definitely interested. But the availability and cost are making me hesitant.

I've played it once, and the art and components blew me away - but the gameplay didn't. I'm also not much of a Euro guy, and this game is Euro all the way. Combat is somewhat discouraged by the mechanics.
heddleston
AG
I got Roll for the Galaxy for Christmas and I'm liking it a lot. Love the simultaneous play, seems to get people to try and move quicker when assigning their workers. Also finally going to get around to trying out One Deck Dungeon this week, which I backed on Kickstarter over the summer. Should be some more dice chunking fun
3rdGen2015
AG
I got Pandemic Legacy for Christmas. We've gotten through March already and things are starting to pick up quickly. Lots of fun!

My old roommate got 7 Wonders for Christmas and I got a chance to play a few games last night. I liked it but didn't get too deep into it since it was only a few games.
Bulldog73
AG
7 Wonders left me a little disappointed. I felt like the whole game was building to a climax, but it just ended. Gameplay was fun, but it left me wanting more.
titanmaster_race
secret hitler is fantastic
AcctAg11
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Does anyone know if Secret Hitler is ever going to be available for retail? Have they even shipped to those who helped fund it yet?
schmendeler
AG
AcctAg11 said:

titanmaster_race said:

Does anyone know if Secret Hitler is ever going to be available for retail? Have they even shipped to those who helped fund it yet?

It's on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JKD4HYC
Joe Exotic
AG
We received our copy of secret hitler several months ago. One of those first to help fund it.
titanmaster_race
I was introduced to it by someone who had received a copy through the kickstarter. loved it so much that I found a reddit thread with a colored version of the print and play pdf on the secret hitler website and printed and laminated my own set.

of course, one week after I made my own, Amazon started selling real copies.
KidDoc
AG
I bought Lords of Waterdeep for my daughter and her husband for Christmas and it is pretty fun. We only had 2 players and that was ok but I think having 3-5 would be much more enjoyable. Mostly a resource management type game.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieBob08
AG
Secret hitler brings out the worst in my family. I love it
agchino
AG
Anybody play One Night Ultimate Werewolf over the break? Couple people in our different families got it and we had a blast playing.
Bryan98
AG
agchino said:

Anybody play One Night Ultimate Werewolf over the break? Couple people in our different families got it and we had a blast playing.

I have it, but didn't play it over the break. I need to give it another shot. It's the same type of game as Secret Hitler. ONUW is much shorter; Secret Hitler has a lot more depth. The one time I tried ONUW, most folks didn't like it.
G Martin 87
AG
KidDoc said:

I bought Lords of Waterdeep for my daughter and her husband for Christmas and it is pretty fun. We only had 2 players and that was ok but I think having 3-5 would be much more enjoyable. Mostly a resource management type game.
Lords of Waterdeep is great, particularly for D&D fans. Lots of great opportunities to screw your opponents over with mandatory quests. The iOS version is fantastic too.
titanmaster_race
agchino said:

We played it quite a bit. Really fun.

We played a few games with 12 people, and the ensuing discussion after the night phase was insane. I wish we could have had a stenographer read us back the dialogue line for line.

I bought "Coup" yesterday, which I've heard is similar to ONUW.
FHKChE07
AG
I got Ticket To Ride Rails and Sails for Christmas and we love it. Because you have to balance how many of boats and trains you have in your stash and how you want to make routes it provides a lot of extra strategy without providing really much complication.
flintdragon
AG
Bulldog73 said:

7 Wonders left me a little disappointed. I felt like the whole game was building to a climax, but it just ended. Gameplay was fun, but it left me wanting more.
You have to play it a few times to understand how to progress from one age to the next. In my gaming group, I think this game has provided the most number of games played than any other game. We don't play it as much any longer but being able to play 7 players while not adding much to game length has been huge.
cone
AG
any starter recs for moderately precocious four year olds?

or are we still a year or so away from anything cooler than chutes and ladders?

SPullig
Carcassonne junior and ticket to ride my first journey are excellent for 4-5. My son is 5 and loves them. Ticket to ride is a target exclusive. Carcassonne we found at a board game store
Josepi
AG
Dear God I hate Chutes and Ladders.

Sequence for Kids is actually pretty fun. And while it's not a board game, Spot It is a lot of fun for all of my kids.
cone
AG
thanks y'all!
Bryan98
AG
Loopin' Chewie and Animal Upon Animal were the first games we played. We just got Ghost Fightin Treasure Hunters; my 7 year old gets the strategy a bit more than the nearly 5 year old, but we all enjoy it.
aggiebq03+
You can also try:
Viva Topo - great game for even little ones

Monza - roll colored dice and match colors to move

Spot It Junior - a bit easier for kids to name the items than regular Spot It, great game for adults and kids

Exploding Kittens - our 5 year old loves this game

Go Away Monster - 4 is a bit old but if anyone needs a first game for 2-3 year olds this is fun with them
heddleston
AG
I bet Set would be good for a young one.
Gigemaggies123
Anyone in CS play imperial assault?

Had a baby 6 months ago so stopped playing the skirmish for a while. Now im starting back up, just got bespin and obiwan, greedo, inquisitor, blaise packs
Red Five
AG
Average Joe said:

So, anyone get to play Mechs vs Minions yet? Strongly considering picking it up but it's a steep price tag for a board game.
Finally got to play my copy and I thought it was awesomely fun. I had a blast trying to figure out an engine to do exactly what i wanted, only to take damage from a minion that caused my program to reverse itself and send me rocketing away in the wrong direction. I thought the tension was really good, as you can get behind schedule and just start seeing waves of minions crashing down on you. But then, when you think you're just about to lose, you get that card you need to get your program just right and your mech tears through 15 minions in a single turn.

We only played the first two scenarios, but in both there were equal moments of "hey this is pretty easy" and "we're all gonna die". I don't tend to like co-op games all that much, but we had a lot of fun playing MvM and I can't wait to get it out again.
Bryan98
AG
I finally played the first scenario of Mansions of Madness (2nd edition) this weekend. It didn't really rock my world, despite my great excitement about it. Hopefully additional plays will get me more into it.

I think the other three folks really liked it, though.
Bobcat06
AG
Have any of yall played Seafall?

My Risk: Legacy group is about done with that game and we're about to start Seafall. I've read reviews and watched some tutorials, but I'm curious about feedback from actual game play

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.