***** Boardgame Discussion Thread *****

92,677 Views | 670 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BQRyno
Twice an Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If anyone likes tabletop games and WW2 I cannot recommend Bolt Action highly enough. Easy to get into and not ridiculously expensive.
SPullig
I've got a small fleet (starter plus a couple ships I think) from 1edition. What kind of price were you thinking? Would have to ship it as I'm in Colorado. Let me know if you are interested. If I don't hear by Sunday I'm going to put it in an auction listing here.
heddleston
AG
I never replied and im sure you sold them off, but thats cool. I sat down and played it at a boardgame store that once a month does an "all you can play" weekend where they let you play a crap load of demos as much as you want for like 10 bucks. I had a ton of fun with it, but as I was looking around I discovered Gaslands.

Think X wing, but put it in a Death Race/Mad Max type universe and make it entirely DIY. Just buy the rulebook and then you can put as much or little time/$ into it as you want. For now I just plan on "borrowing" some of my kids' hot wheels and doing a simple home setup with whatever I have lying around. If I really wanna go nuts I'll probably buy a bunch of little 3d printed guns to glue to the cars and go from there.
MaroonOut09
AG
So I attended PAX South a few weeks back mainly to check out the video games, but it ended up inspiring me to finally take the plunge into some more serious board gaming.

I picked up Terraforming Mars while I was there and sat down to play it with my buddy. It took us awhile to get a grasp on all the rules, but I was instantly hooked. We played until they kicked us out at midnight.

I also picked up Klask while I was there, and if you haven't played, let me tell you, it is insanely fun. At first glance it just looks like a small air hockey/foosball type game, but there a more to it than that as there are also little white magnets in play that you have to avoid.

My buddy also introduced me to Magic: The Gathering with one of the welcome decks, and it piqued my interest. I've since played a few matches on MTG Arena and picked up a pre-constructed Commander Deck and a Planeswalker Deck, but I don't know that I'm ready for any type of Friday Night Magic yet. That and I don't know if I would fit in with that crowd either.

Anyway, I would definitely be interested in a TexAgs meetup at the next PAX South or otherwise so I can discover anything else I've been missing out on.
Quad Dog
AG
Bumping an old thread searching for a recommendation.
My son has been showing interest in a Table-top RPG. He's mention D&D because that's all he's heard of. He's 11 and pretty smart, but a little immature (aren't they all.) I'm a stereotypical engineer, so something with more structure would be better for me. If it relies on a ton of creativity, it won't be my strength. I'd expect it would be me and him playing mostly with his friends occasionally, or if his younger sister can be persuaded.
I used to love playing Hero Quest growing up (too bad my copy disappeared when my Mom moved) so I'm leaning towards something like that out of familiarity and nostalgia.
Reading on a few other places, these are my leading candidates:
  • Descent: Journeys in the Dark - This has a companion app that can act as DM so he and I could play together, which sounds like a cool feature.
  • Star Wars: Imperial Assualt - He already loves Star Wars, so this seems like a good one.
  • One of the D&D Adventure System games like The Legend of Drizzt, Temple of Elemental Evil, or Castle Ravenloft. These seem to have more structure than traditional D&D, which I think would be good for me.
Any suggestions on those, or anything else I'm missing?

TIA
SPullig
If you want to dip your toe in, try Mice and Mystics. Its a structured RPG with "chapters" about an hour long or so. If you want to see a demonstration, look on youtube for Tabletop Mice and Mystics. Wil Wheaton has a demo of it.

javajaws
AG
Imperial Assult also has an app for some content.
Fleff
AG
Descent and Imperial Assault are both Fantasy Flight Games and excellent choices for what you are looking for. They will both have traditional board game play where one person plays the Overlord and the other players play the heroes. This can become a completely competitive version of the game which i would say steer away from. Instead i would recommend you be the Overlord and think of it as a DM running a gaming experience for the other players.

What is really great about both of those games is there are Apps available which will take over the Overlord role and make the games fully cooperative. I think I would start down this path first.

My favorite game right now is also by FFG and is Lord of the Rings Journeys in Middle Earth. It is a fully cooperative game that must be played with an app. It is a campaign, and players cannot jump in. It is less combat and more adventure than the previous two. It is also a fail foward game, so if you lose a scenario, you will face the consequences and move on. May be a little harsh for an 11 year-old, and may 40 year olds.

Finally Gloomhaven is an absolute masterpiece of a game, but i would not recommend it if you want to add and drop players throughout. It is a beast, tons of content, great puzzles in the form of a dungeon crawl.

Mice and Mystics is a great family friendly recommendation.

But i think the top two are really the best choices to start with.
Quad Dog
AG
You guys rock. The YouTube play through suggestion is a good one. I can watch some of them with my son to see what interests him.
FIDO95
AG
Check out Gaslands. You basically get your kids old hot wheels, hot glue a bunch of weapons on them, the race them in a death run akin to Madmax. You can download the movement templates and cut them out. Your only other investment is a ton of dice. I've been playing a ton of this we my 11 year old and we are having a blast.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
heddleston
AG
Gaslands is so stinking fun. I haven't gotten into modding cars all crazy like, but I did buy some acrylic movement templates and tokens,, because it only take 2 seconds for a 2 year old to destroy simple cutouts.
heddleston
AG
Also Hero Quest was mentioned, so by law this must be posted:
javajaws
AG
Gonna break out Pandemic:Legacy for the first time tonight. Can't wait to start naming diseases...
kdm_01
AG
Corona, covid, Chinese disease are the easy ones - but what name for the 4th...

Legacy was fun - read the rules well (as with any game I suppose). We gimped ourselves after the first couple of games by not following the post games steps completely.
Legacy season 2 was also fun; they had very different feels to me.
Fleff
AG
Finally have a use for my Xbox 1's Kinect, have been continuing my Gloomhaven campaign over Skype by hanging the Kinect over the top of the board.
Eliminatus
AG
mporterco07 said:

If anyone likes tabletop games and WW2 I cannot recommend Bolt Action highly enough. Easy to get into and not ridiculously expensive.

This is something I am familiar with and would like to explore BUT, I have never, ever seen an actual game played anywhere or met any actual players.
SPullig
Eliminatus, where are you located? There are groups in the big cities that play Bolt Action and Flames of War (similar, smaller scale). Checkout Lone Star Historical Miniatures on Facebook and you should be able to find a group near you.
Quad Dog
AG
Thanks again, I think we're going to go with Imperial Assault because he's all about Star Wars right now.

We looked at Lord of the Rings Journeys in Middle Earth characters and abilities and it didn't look like there was any serious magic in it. He did mention that he wanted to play as a wizard. We figured a Jedi is basically a wizard. Was that assumption about Journeys in Middle Earth correct?
Quad Dog
AG
Thanks for the Gaslands suggestion. We've already played a couple of games and ordered a pack of dice from Amazon. My son is all about creating his own team.
Fleff
AG
That is correct. I think Imperial Assault is a great choice for starting. There is a ton of content out for it if yall really enjoy it. But keep in mind that FFG has discontinued that game. With IA there is one character in the base box who can develop into a Jedi, but she is a female if that matters to your son. The rest are different archetypes from the star war universe, but you aren't playing main characters. Instead the main character are fringe actors in your game.

I really like LOTR JIME because of the card play over the dice. There are lots games which utilize dice, but not many that have cards. The cards also offer a deeper level of tactics for what to prepare and what to keep in your deck. Gandalf is a playable character being offered in the May expansion. It will be interesting to see how he plays.

Finally i have started to really ramp up my playing of Gloomhaven. It is an amazing game, but it is such a beast to get to the table. I think the others are so much more approachable and that does matter.
Vade281
AG
We transitioned our gloomhaven to tabletop simulator. It's a godsend for a setup time and getting a scenario underwear.
StoutAg
AG
Does anyone play MTG Arena? I recently got it since, well, I'm stuck at home and there are no sports games on.
tallgrant
Frosthaven has a pretty rocking Kickstarter rolling too, so for everybody that's digging Gloomhaven (or Gloomhaven curious) it is worth checking out.

I know you're looking for RPG stuff Quaddog, but for my money the best Star Wars game out there is Rebellion.
jbryan10
AG
I just backed Intrepid on Kickstarter a couple days ago. Since my wife is too competitive (of the table-flipping, card-throwing, woohoo-withholding variety) for us to play against each other, I'm always on the lookout for good co-op games.

From what I have seen so far, it seems to be what I would consider an amazing mash-up of Dead of Winter with Terraforming Mars.

Each player is a nationality on the ISS and is responsible for maintaining one of the critical systems (power, heat, food, oxygen) through multiple disasters. Asymmetric resource management via dice rolling and manipulation. Hopefully Covid is negligible come March when this ships so I can get my group together!
tallgrant
Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is at Target now. Good way to dip your toes in if you are unsure.
Eliminatus
AG
Finally started working through my Pathfinder Adventure Card Game set. I have the four 1st edition complete sets (I don't even want to think how much coin I dropped on those) and just within the past week started playing them with a coupla of friends.

We are loving it. This is the first board gaming I have done in months. No new acquisitions in a while though.

Updates from yall?

Fleff
AG
I am still buying and playing maybe a little less. My monthly game night has changed to virtual and been playing through Gloomhaven. Great game, but we playing twice a week in early COVID season and slowed to once a month over the summer.

I bought the expansion to LoTR JIME which i still love. I also picked up Undaunted: Normandy which i played once with my 10 year old. Really like that first game. Today USPS brought Twilight Imperium 4th addition, which i don't know when i will play but i wanted to own it.
BQRyno
AG
I looked up Twilight Imperium after seeing your post. Bye bye 100 bucks. It's on the way.
tallgrant
BQRyno said:

I looked up Twilight Imperium after seeing your post. Bye bye 100 bucks. It's on the way.
Great if you can get a group together for it.

I get my fix for that type of combat with Space Empires 4X. Strips a lot of the character off, but I can still explore the tech tree and fit out a fleet. And in less time!
BQRyno
AG
Played a three player game of TI on Saturday. It took basically two hours to set up and read through the guide, but the gameplay was much easier than I expected and really logical and easy to follow. Will definitely be playing again soon.
caleblyn
Suggestions???

I am thinking of a new board game.
I would like to play with the family - Wife, daughter, 2 sons.

We enjoy;
Catan
Ticket to Ride
Pandemic
Card games similar to Canasta

I've been considering the following;
Scythe
Terraforming Mars
Wingspan
Azul

Bryan98
AG
How old are your kids?
"Texas - It's still America down here!"
AggieFlyboy
AG
caleblyn said:

Suggestions???

I am thinking of a new board game.
I would like to play with the family - Wife, daughter, 2 sons.

We enjoy;
Catan
Ticket to Ride
Pandemic
Card games similar to Canasta

I've been considering the following;
Scythe
Terraforming Mars
Wingspan
Azul

Start with Azul and Wingspan.
Before playing Terraforming Mars, I suggest either San Juan or Race for the Galaxy.
Scythe can be difficult to wrap your head around the first time. Go for it last on your list.
I'd add Champions of Midgard as a great game that is more complex, but a blast to play
caleblyn
Thanks.

Kids are 16,13,10
AggieFlyboy
AG
caleblyn said:

Thanks.

Kids are 16,13,10

Definitely Champions of Midgard, my 11 and 14 year old
Boys love that game

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.