***** Boardgame Discussion Thread *****

92,707 Views | 670 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BQRyno
3rdGen2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:

This looks amazaballs!
It looks super nice and the build quality is amazing, but for $75 I think I'll wait for actual gameplay reviews. Looks like it could be pretty fun though!
Average Joe
AG
I'm in the same boat. Have a two year old and another on the way, work full time and I'm a full time student. There is a group that meets at the gaming place over by Fuddruckers, I think, on Sundays. But I've never been over there.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
I'm in the same boat. Have a two year old and another on the way, work full time and I'm a full time student. There is a group that meets at the gaming place over by Fuddruckers, I think, on Sundays. But I've never been over there.
I went once to play some Magic with my daughter and son-in-law. The place is called Clockworks and they are fairly hard core. At least the magic crowd was.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Red Five
AG

He is also doing walkthroughs of each mission, although those may have spoilers in them since this is a campaign style game with some light legacy elements.

If you want reviews of the game, I mentioned several channels on youtube that have reviews of the gameplay: The Dice Tower, The Secret Cabal, Rahdo Runs Through to name a couple.
Eliminatus
AG
Just picked up Mage Knight finally. Been on my list forever. Unfortunately swamped with homework at the moment so can't bust it out tonight. For anyone that may have played it, would yall recommend the expansion for it?
Red Five
AG
I haven't played Mage Knight, but the general consensus I have seen is that the base game is fine for many plays, but ultimately you would want to get the Lost Legion expansion at some point. Not a "required" expansion, but definitely worth it if you like the game and play it a lot.
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
Just picked up Mage Knight finally. Been on my list forever. Unfortunately swamped with homework at the moment so can't bust it out tonight. For anyone that may have played it, would yall recommend the expansion for it?
I would agree with Red Five's post. I have Mage Knight, the base game, but not the expansion. You can get a lot out of the base game, with each play through being very different. Everything I have heard about the expansion has been positive. I just dont play the base game enough to warrant buying it.

Edit: Not to say that the base game isn't fun, it is just long and much better as a solitaire game. I prefer to play games with others and usually dont have enough time for the multiplayer Mage Knight game experience.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
Austin board game group needs to reunite
I agree with this. Any others?
Eliminatus
AG
Thanks for the tips.

Also, does anyone have first hand knowledge of Eldritch Horror? Also on my list but always seem to talk myself out of it somehow. I think I am worried that the mechanics would not be very engaging for me...but not sure. Ugh.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Thanks for the tips.

Also, does anyone have first hand knowledge of Eldritch Horror? Also on my list but always seem to talk myself out of it somehow. I think I am worried that the mechanics would not be very engaging for me...but not sure. Ugh.
I'm curious about it because I love HP Lovecraft stuff and my wife enjoys co-ops, but I haven't considered it too hard yet.

I might try and play it at PAX this next January. Big conventions are great places to try out new games.
tallgrant
Dan 07 said:

Quote:

Austin board game group needs to reunite
I agree with this. Any others?

There is a quite active Board game scene in Austin, but additional groups are not a bad thing!
Halibut
AG
Eliminatus said:

Thanks for the tips.

It's fun! Just keep in mind that you'll probably miss some rules the first few times you play it. Also, it takes a long time. Expect 3-4 hours to play a game plus another 30 minutes for setup and tear down.

schmendeler
AG
I posted about this a week or so ago, but thought it might also make sense here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1066523141/insult-your-friends

it's a party game my wife's cousin created. it's a lot of fun if you're looking for something new.
Fleff
AG
What a stresful day, but i think after 4 hours of trying, i finally placed my order for Mechs vs Minions. Thanks Red5 for the heads up.
Red Five
AG
What a cluster that was. I was on the website at 12:59 adding the game to my cart, and 40 minutes later I finally got my order completed. I got to credit card information twice and timed out, then finally got through to accept their terms and conditions and submit the order and it crashed again. Fortunately it still went through and I got an email confirmation.

Riot said they were getting about 200 orders every 5 minutes, so I think people had time to get their orders in before it sold out, but I'm sure that number would have been higher if people could have actually bought the game instead of just staring at an error screen for an hour.
Fleff
AG
Yeah same story but took me a lot longer, I had several meetings today so it was 4 straight hours but my wife and I each had it in the cart at 12:59 and then it crashed. I am not sure she was as active as I at trying to order but ultimately got it. Had an employee quit today which was the source of most of my stress but this didn't help.
Fleff
AG
Time Stories is selling on Amazon for $37, usually costs around $50.
Blood Rage is at $53, which is also cheaper than normal.
Bryan98
AG
Fleff said:

Time Stories is selling on Amazon for $37, usually costs around $50.
Blood Rage is at $53, which is also cheaper than normal.
That is a good price for Time Stories from Amazon. I have bought it but haven't played it, since all my Saturday nights have been going to football. I hope to get back to boardgaming in earnest after the season is over.

For anyone who likes to price shop for games and isn't aware of it, http://www.boardgameprices.com/ is an invaluable resource.
Bulldog73
AG
Target has a buy 2-get 1 free plus 20% off with code KIDSGIFTS. They have pandemic legacy, so now to convince my wife we need it.
Red Five
AG
I didn't scan the thread to see if the game had been mentioned before, but if anyone is aware of Kingdom Death they are currently running the kickstarter for the reprint/new edition. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/description

They are currently just a bit shy of $7MM total funding making them the 2nd highest funded board game ever on kickstarter.

I'm backing it, as I have major regret for not backing the original kickstarter when everything was 25% of the eventual MSRP because he had no idea what he was doing.
caleblyn
Which should I get. I would play with my family (wife, 12 yr daughter, 9yr son, 6yr son.

Pandemic
Catan
Ticket to Ride

Or should I just get them all?
Red Five
AG
I'm biased because I don't particularly care for Catan, but I think Ticket to Ride is an easier game for kids to grasp and would be a better family game. Pandemic also is good as it's cooperative so you will all be working together. It can also lend itself towards one player kind of controlling the strategy, which is a bad thing when playing with peers but probably a good thing when playing with children. Just make sure they can handle the theme.
javajaws
AG
Anybody played Scythe? Looks out of stock everywhere - been looking to pick it up.

Also in Austin if anyone ever wants to get together. I've got a bunch of games.
AggieChemist
AG
I'm intrigued by "evolution". Anyone have experience with it?
Red Five
AG
I just played Scythe last week and thought it was awesome. Tons of cool decisions to make. I even came in dead last and still loved it.
Red Five
AG
I haven't played Evolution, but it's also one I've been eyeing. A new version, Evolution: Climate, just came out and I think there is also a "beginners" version that just came out too.
Average Joe
AG
So, anyone get to play Mechs vs Minions yet? Strongly considering picking it up but it's a steep price tag for a board game.
Red Five
AG
Not yet, unfortunately. Havent had the right time/group yet. I've certainly taken it out and ogled the pieces, though.
caleblyn
Got Ticket to Ride. Just finished our first game with 2 adults, 12 yr girl, 9 yr boy, and 10yr girl.

Had a lot of fun. The winner was my daughter who boohooed when she lost a route but ended up completing it via a different, much longer path.
caleblyn
Thanks for the advice earlier in this thread.
kdm_01
AG
Anybody give Scythe a try yet? From what I've read I'm definitely interested. But the availability and cost are making me hesitant.
aggiebq03+
For any with younger kids, we got Ticket to Ride My First Journey for our 5yo & 6yo to play with us. Has been a blast and they are already looking forward to playing the "adult game" sometime soon. We had Kids of Carcassonne (or whatever the current title is) and have had fun with that, but I didn't know there was a Jr version of TTR. Luckily my wife found it and bought it for them (and me) as a surprise for Christmas.
kdm_01
AG
Wow - I didn't know they made versions of TTR and Carcasonne for younger players. I'll check one of those out.
I had read that Mice and Mytics was decent for younger players (we have a 6yr old too) but hadn't seen that in person yet.
SPullig
Both kids games are great. There is also catan jr which seems good too. Mice and mystics is a gateway for young kids into RPG type games. Kinda my first RPG like the old hero quest gam 20yrs ago. If you want to see it played google wil Wheaton tabletop nice and mystics. He plays it with his wife and kids and it looks easy enough for my 5 yr old.

Not sure why that emoticon...
schmendeler
AG
I received Onitama for Christmas. It's a two person game that plays like a very quick, slimmed down version of chess, but that is still surprisingly elegant. I recommend it if you are looking for a good two-person game.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C05HZB4/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.