***** Boardgame Discussion Thread *****

92,697 Views | 670 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BQRyno
Red Five
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jaipur is a great 2 player set collection game. Lost Cities is another great 2 player card game as well.

Castles of Burgundy plays up to 4 but is best with 2. Same goes for Race for the Galaxy, which has a pretty steep learning curve, but is an amazing strategic game.
04texag
AG
Any of you in Houston?

I play a lot at Asgard games inside the loop. Sundays are board game days, we usually play a game or two, mix it up each week.

Mage Wars is a great 2 player game, I haven't found too many to play with though. My typical group is 3-4.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Any of you in Houston?

I play a lot at Asgard games inside the loop. Sundays are board game days, we usually play a game or two, mix it up each week.

Mage Wars is a great 2 player game, I haven't found too many to play with though. My typical group is 3-4.

I just mentioned Houston on the previous page!

Yeah, we should have a TexAgs board game meetup soon. I love Asgard for Magic, but for board games I'd prefer somewhere more comfortable, preferably with beverages (like, any beverage, not specifically booze).

Anyone been to Neil's Bar?
Red Five
AG
I'm in Cypress, so Asgard is a bit of a haul for me. I haven't been by there since they were in their old location. I used to listen to the Warmachine podcast Will did.
Pman17
AG
I'm in Galveston but my roommate and I have been wanting to have a board game night. We've been getting into some of the card games like Fluxx, Munchkin, Forbidden Island, etc. Hard to get people together with different schedules. Let me know if y'all do have a TexAgs Board Game night, hopefully I'll be off at that time.
heddleston
AG
finally got Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small on the table tonight. my first time playing with a worker placement mechanic, and i loved it. can't wait to play more, and maybe put Caverna or something similar on my wish list somewhere down the line.
Gerald Tarrant
Dominion is great fun
Knife_Party
Didnt read but,

Axis and Allies?

Cut my teeth on this mofo in high school.
Caliber
AG
Just played dominion for the first time tonight, enjoyed it alot
FTACO97
AG
quote:
What are some good 2 player games? We tried the Resistance, but that didn't really work out for some reason.
Does Resistance recommend 2 players? I can't imagine that working out....

Many games we have purchased were based on them being 2 player so my wife and I can play on our own.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Pandemic with On The Brink expansion
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Carcassone
Catan
Smash Up with all expansions (minus munchkins - can't stand that game)
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
Flash Point (similar to Forbidden Island but you're firemen rescuing people from a burning building)
Tenzi (great fun dice game - pick up the card set to go with it)

I had read some blogs/forums that recommended 2 player games:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/146419/crazy-couples-co-op-guide-2013-and-onward-edition/page/3?
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164573/two-player-board-games-couples-or-our-best-and-wor/page/3?
http://thelovenerds.com/2014/05/great-2-player-games-for-couples.html

FTACO97
AG
Some new (to me) games I recommend:

Escape: Curse of the Temple

This game is a total blast! It had been recommended in a forum post about 2 player games and I watched a review on it by shutupandsitdown.com. Cannot recommend it enough. Very frantic paced with everyone playing at the same time and only having 10 minutes to complete it. Very co-op driven and everyone has to complete it to win.

http://www.escape-queen-games.com/index.php?id=7&L=1

Specter Ops

Received as a gift for Christmas. Very enjoyable game. Best played with 4-5 people. 1 person is a spy and the others are hunters trying to find the spy. Spy is not visible on the game board and uses a sheet of paper with the game board on it to keep track of their movements.

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/451

Boiling Denim
Finished Pandemic Legacy with the missus what a great game and experience. Had a ton of fun; took about 2 months to play ~18 games playing 2 characters each. Didn't think destorying cards could be such a nerve-racking experience. Well worth the $60

It was our gateway game and we already have a couple more lined up with Castles of Mad King Ludwig and 7 Wonders Duel. Also eyeing Flash Point in the near future
tamusc
AG
Someone posted this on the Star Wars thread and I thought I'd share it here.

Miniature Market is having a big website launch sale that includes a ton of X-Wing and Armada stuff.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures.html#/?_=1&filter.manufacturer=Fantasy%20Flight%20Games&page=1
brents1975
I bought Star Wars The Card Game by Fantasy Flight... Man I've never felt so stupid in my life. I've read the instructions. I've watched videos. I can't figure out how to play it lol. Anybody know how to play this game?
tlepoC
AG
Secret Hitler looks great - should definitely take resistance style games to the next level

I'm still quite upset at a certain someone for leaving Austin.
Bryan98
AG
Hey, we had a couple people mention interest in a Houston board game gathering several months ago, but it never really went anywhere. Are people still interested, and is it even feasible during football season? I assume it would need to be on a weekend.
04texag
AG
What part of houston? I'm down and we can do it at asgard.
AcctAg11
AG
I have been playing a lot of board games on Tabletop Simulator, which you can find on Steam. Highly recommend as a good place to try out new games to bring to your group or just to play with random people.

Been playing a lot of Secret Hitler, which surprisingly does not get old. The game has an evolving "meta", which differs at each table. Different personalities of players bring different things to the game. I really like how many different strategies end up working (or not working) in the game because of the composition of players, for such a simple game. A lot of replay-ability with this game.

I have also been trying a new Kickstarter game called "Scythe" which has been pretty good. Its an interesting asymmetrical euro game. I haven't played enough games to know if there is really enough variation with each play-through for more than 10 games, as it seems it can potentially get stale. I think this game is a good one for groups that have people of varying skill levels in board games, as you dont really know who is going to win until points are totaled at the end (about 2/3's of the points seem to come from end of the game bonuses). I think its a similar feel to Seven Wonders in that regard: You spend your time in game building your economic and combat engines to achieve six goals (with a variety to choose from, usually with different players on the board taking completely different paths), with some limited interaction with other players at the table.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
What part of houston? I'm down and we can do it at asgard.

Asgard is convenient to me. Maybe some Sunday afternoon.

I have also played a ton of Secret Hitler, starting at PAX South in January. It's a great game, although in my group the Liberals haven't won much lately. When we started it was about an even split.

I played most of a game of Scythe last week at a Meetup.com group. I was captivated by the components and gorgeous art, but I don't know if I can get over the disconnect of it looking like a game with a decent amount of combat and the reality that combat is usually not very rewarding to the victor. It almost seems like the designer was primarily making a philosophical point there. Still, it's beautiful, and part of me wants it.
04texag
AG
Scythe looks interesting, I haven't heard of it but I love good 4x games
A is A
AG
quote:
got a hankering for Heroes Questvand found out it was out of print. Did some research and Descent came up as the current game the most similar. Been playing that with my wife and kids and having a blast.

Santa is bringing Mice and Mystics. Looking forward to working with my family instead of against them once that bad boybcomes out from under the tree.
Heroes Quest is great. Our friends have it and we just started the Quest again (though our Wizard finds it uninteresting)

The game is still available on ebay and some people if you are willing to put up $200 for a board game.
C-2ag99
AG
Any new gaming groups in Aggieland?
04texag
AG
quote:
quote:
got a hankering for Heroes Questvand found out it was out of print. Did some research and Descent came up as the current game the most similar. Been playing that with my wife and kids and having a blast.

Santa is bringing Mice and Mystics. Looking forward to working with my family instead of against them once that bad boybcomes out from under the tree.
Heroes Quest is great. Our friends have it and we just started the Quest again (though our Wizard finds it uninteresting)

The game is still available on ebay and some people if you are willing to put up $200 for a board game.
Descent is still a little older too. There are a lot of similar games that are fun.

I've been playing some Kingdom death monster, which is great and the minis are awesome.

Also, zombicide is pretty fun.

Star Wars Imperial Assault is essentially descent with a star wars wrapper, and it's also well done.
The_Thinker
Do y'all have any suggestions for 10 to 18 players? It seems like most games max out around 8 sadly.
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
Do y'all have any suggestions for 10 to 18 players? It seems like most games max out around 8 sadly.
Secret Hitler goes up to 10. The only problem I have seen with 10 player games, though, is if you have 1 or 2 people in your group who tend to dominate discussions, some people are ultimately not going to get to say everything that they may want to, as its a very discussion-heavy game (of course, in that game, some players may prefer to stay under the radar and not want to have to say anything). I am sure there have been people who have expanded it to 12 players or more, as I have seen expanded boards. Would just need to look for variants on BoardGameGeek or elsewhere.

Another game I have found that I really like is A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). Plays 4-6 players, though 6 is usually optimal. There are a couple of expansions to it that add another 6 player only setup and a 4 player setup. The game plays a bit like Diplomacy, where everyone secretly assigns orders to each of their units and all orders are then revealed simultaneously. Combat is decided through the power of the units engaged and with the addition of a "House Card" that represents one of 7 characters associated with the major houses in GoT. Those cards modify combat and/or add combat power to the battle and are placed in secret and revealed simultaneously. It adds a bluffing element, as each player always knows what the other player could play. The game also adds secret bidding for various powers and to cooperatively fight against the Wildlings. A 6 player games goes about 4 hours, though, but it is really fun and a really well designed assymetrical strategy game. Not to mention the theme, which is awesome. This game also has a 10 player expansion, I believe, but I haven't tried it and am not sure if its actually official.
Red Five
AG
Youre probably going to be limited to party games and social deduction games at that player count. Werewolf plays up to 27. You can also do team games where the size of the teams doesnt really matter. Codenames is a super hot game right now and plays pretty much as big as you want. Wits and Wagers is a trivia game that can play up to 20.
Post removed:
by user
Bryan98
AG
If you have 18 people you should be in two to four groups, imho.

It's already been said that Secret Hitler plays 10. Two Rooms and a Boom goes up to 30, I think. I told people last night that Codenames plays any number higher than three, but I wouldn't try it with 18.
The_Thinker
Thanks guys, a lot of my high school buddies managed to suck their wives in with katan so now most of them will try anything.

We are hopefully going to sucker them into trying the Dresden RPG as well!
Halibut
AG
Been playing Pandemic Legacy with my girlfriend and another couple, and it might be my favorite board game of all time.

It still blows me away how well designed this game is. Season 2 will be a day 1 buy for me (whenever that is.)
tamuangry
We are playing Scythe tonight. We have a group that plays Friday's and Saturdays near Katy.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Been playing Pandemic Legacy with my girlfriend and another couple, and it might be my favorite board game of all time.

It still blows me away how well designed this game is. Season 2 will be a day 1 buy for me (whenever that is.)
I have been playing that with my wife and two other folks. We've had a great time, and it's a wonderful bonding experience, but managing all the escalating stuff kind of stresses me out. We are 3/4ths of the way done, FWIW. No spoilers!
Halibut
AG
quote:
quote:

I have been playing that with my wife and two other folks. We've had a great time, and it's a wonderful bonding experience, but managing all the escalating stuff kind of stresses me out. We are 3/4ths of the way done, FWIW. No spoilers!

We are at a similar spot as your group. Just finished October tonight. September was our worst month by far.
Silent For Too Long
Great Thread.

I second Puerto Rico. I think it's one of the best designed games ever made. There's virtually zero random elements to it.

Agricola is great, too, but that game is a right cluster F sometimes.

If anyone ever loved Axis and Allies back in the day, they came out with a WW 1 version within the last few years and it's pretty great. It mimics the trench warfare spirit using classic A&A mechanics surprisingly well. If anything, I find it more dynamic then traditional A&A, although that might be because I've only played it 3 or 4 times where as I played A&A literally hundreds of times growing up. Also, you can play with as many as 8 players, as France, Italy, Great Britain, Imperial Russia, America, Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Ottoman Empire all have their own armies.

Mage Knight and Twilight Imperium are both great.
Battlestar Galactica the BG is great if you have a group of people really interested in playing. Just one or two people who aren't that in to it can kind of ruin it.

Boss Monster is fun.

I like Catan with expansions, but I've always felt that classic Catan is glorified Craps. It's still a good entry game for people whose only previous experience with boardgames are of the Monopoly variety.

For those with youngins looking to break them into nerd gaming, Sunken Island is a pretty solid game that goes about 5+.

Relic is a cool version of Talisman using Warhammer 40k lore.

Oh, and Tigres and Euphrates is a super cut throat strategy game. Don't play it with people who get easily upset playing games, though. That game can be brutal to the newly initiated.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
I've been playing some Kingdom death monster, which is great and the minis are awesome.
I've heard interesting things about KDM. From what I've gathered, it's a small step below DnD in complexity.

Sounds pretty cool.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.