***** Boardgame Discussion Thread *****

92,740 Views | 670 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BQRyno
TombstoneTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bryan98 said:

RThorp said:

Thanks for the review. I bought it at PAX South but haven't had a chance to play. Also the rule book is massive.

I was at PAX South. We gotta have a TexAgs meetup next year.

I'm in Houston (Humble area) and more than willing to go a little out of my way for an Aggie board game meet up before the next PAX!
javajaws
AG
So my Gloomhaven came in last week...opened it up and I said: nope. Closed it up without touching anything then went and ordered the broken token insert (backordered).

Sooo much stuff in there!!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
FTACO97
AG
Bryan98 said:

I am beyond stoked that Betrayal Legacy is scheduled for the fourth quarter of this year. Before he started the Legacy craze with Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy, Rob Daviau was one of the lead designers on Betrayal at House on the Hill, so this is just perfect. I think the game could really lend itself to the legacy structure.

WHAT?? AH! That will be freaking awesome! Family and I played through Pandemic Legacy Season 1 last year and we're about to start Season 2. Betrayal is one of our favorite games. Can't wait for this!
heddleston
AG
Finally got me a physical copy of Hive. Such a dang gorgeous game and the pieces feel great in my hand.
Bryan98
AG
Played another game of Betrayal last night with 3 friends, two of whom hadn't played it. One guy definitely wasn't feeling it but he was a good sport about it. Thankfully, he didn't end up being the traitor. We got Haunt 76, my first experience with one from the expansion. It was pretty cool, though afterwards the traitor said he couldn't see how he could possibly have won if the players did a good job - and I kind of agree, although I think he could have slowed us down more. I also didn't go back and read the Traitor's Tome entry to see what else he might have done.
TombstoneTex
AG
Yeah I find for Betrayal it is critical that all players are "all in" on the theme and enjoying the game.
Azariah
AG
RThorp said:

Bryan98 said:

RThorp said:

Thanks for the review. I bought it at PAX South but haven't had a chance to play. Also the rule book is massive.

I'm in Houston (Humble area) and more than willing to go a little out of my way for an Aggie board game meet up before the next PAX!
Humble? I'm in Kingwood. Where and what do you play?
Azariah
AG
javajaws said:

So my Gloomhaven came in last week...opened it up and I said: nope. Closed it up without touching anything then went and ordered the broken token insert (backordered).

I'm not spending $80 on an insert, especially one that doesn't handle sleeved cards. There are some excellent organizing methods on /r/gloomhaven.
Azariah
AG
Also, since we're still talking about Gloomhaven, I want to gloat about the paint job I had commissioned on my minis. The top four on this Instagram are mine.

https://www.instagram.com/spyridian/
TombstoneTex
AG
Azariah said:

Also, since we're still talking about Gloomhaven, I want to gloat about the paint job I had commissioned on my minis. The top four on this Instagram are mine.

There is nothing like painting your own models.... but whoever you commissioned did a damn fine job!!! Those are amazing models.
TombstoneTex
AG
Azariah said:

RThorp said:

Bryan98 said:

RThorp said:

When I am able to get out of the house I play and/or paint at Ettin Games and Hobbies.

I play every type of board game imaginable and have an entire closet dedicated to my collection lol. I have a small problem!!! But some of my favorite board games are Lords of Waterdeep, 5 tribes, Sentinels of the multiverse, Harbour, time stories, and eminent domain.

I also dabble in Magic the Gathering. Mostly drafts or pre-release constructed events. I just do not have time to keep up with the Standard format.

In the table top arena I used to play warhammer 40k and fantasy but gave my armies away years ago. I do have the Game of Thrones tabletop kickstarter coming in later this year!!! So many models to paint.
KidDoc
AG
RThorp said:

Azariah said:

RThorp said:

Bryan98 said:

RThorp said:

When I am able to get out of the house I play and/or paint at Ettin Games and Hobbies.

I play every type of board game imaginable and have an entire closet dedicated to my collection lol. I have a small problem!!! But some of my favorite board games are Lords of Waterdeep, 5 tribes, Sentinels of the multiverse, Harbour, time stories, and eminent domain.

I also dabble in Magic the Gathering. Mostly drafts or pre-release constructed events. I just do not have time to keep up with the Standard format.

In the table top arena I used to play warhammer 40k and fantasy but gave my armies away years ago. I do have the Game of Thrones tabletop kickstarter coming in later this year!!! So many models to paint.
I'm not very good at it but I'm almost through my minis with Temple of Elemental Evil. They are pretty decent plastic minis and the game is a pretty fun coop type easy D&D. Worth looking into if that is your style.

I used to paint lead figures for D&D back in my youth so pretty fun getting back into a hobby that works with my fine motor skills & creative side in my mid 40's.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Eliminatus
AG
Azariah said:

Was going to comment how nice they were until I scrolled down and saw your ultrasmurfs.

(Great paintjob btw!)
DVC2010
AG
He did a few of those Star Wars minis for me a couple of years ago because I can't even paint-by-numbers.
javajaws
AG
Azariah said:

Nice minis. I'm actually getting into mini painting right now and hope to start painting soon. I have tons of stuff to paint: zombicide, imperial assault, blood rage, gloomhaven, and who knows what else I've forgotten about.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
javajaws
AG
Azariah said:

javajaws said:

I'm not spending $80 on an insert, especially one that doesn't handle sleeved cards. There are some excellent organizing methods on /r/gloomhaven.
I've built some foam core stuff before for in-the-box storage, but I'm at the point in my life that time is worth more than money. Space is also important - I've got over 50 games in my collection and storing out of the box isn't an option.
Fleff
AG
Those minis are super nice. I am also one who would rather buy a nice organizer and paint myself then do the other way around, but I also don't sleeve cards. I got into painting a year ago and worked my way through Mice and Mystics, Specter Ops, and Blood Rage.

Blood Rage about killed me. My painting is very basic, but the sheer volume of minis and their size was brutal. I started with the monsters and then finished with the vikings and was ruined by the size of the monsters. Finally i had a game night in mind to debut the newly painted Blood Rage and that ended up being a big crunch, last night painting marathon.

After Blood Rage, I tried to paint some 40k minis a buddy talked me into buying and that was the last straw. I haven't picked up a brush since October. Stuffed Fables is really calling out to me to paint though, so this week i will get back into it. I am also eyeing Rising Sun, but I am strongly considering just applying a wash and calling it a day.
TombstoneTex
AG
Can you post some of your mice and mystics work?
TombstoneTex
AG
I'll check it out! Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh and painting lead! The good ol' days eh? How did anyone survive!
Azariah
AG
RThorp said:

Azariah said:

There is nothing like painting your own models.... but whoever you commissioned did a damn fine job!!! Those are amazing models.
I have not the time or skill to paint my own models, so I turned to a buddy of mine. That guy does custom work for Peter Mayhew as well as a Dread Pirate Roberts statue for Cary Elwes.

And those are just the ones I'm allowed to talk about.
Azariah
AG
RThorp said:

Azariah said:

RThorp said:

Bryan98 said:

RThorp said:

Have you tried Star Wars Destiny yet? I was a 20+ year MTG player before I tried Destiny, and I haven't looked back yet.

I go up to Ettin pretty regularly. They do Destiny tournaments every other Sunday.
Azariah
AG
Eliminatus said:

Azariah said:

Was going to comment how nice they were until I scrolled down and saw your ultrasmurfs.

(Great paintjob btw!)
Ultrasmurfs? That's the Instagram of my painter. Not stuff I do myself. I just supply him models out of my surplus inventory to do sculptures on.
Eliminatus
AG
Azariah said:

Eliminatus said:

Azariah said:

(Great paintjob btw!)
Ultrasmurfs? That's the Instagram of my painter. Not stuff I do myself. I just supply him models out of my surplus inventory to do sculptures on.

Ah, NVM. Was meant to be a jab at the Ultramarine minis I thought were yours.

Warhammer nerd friendly rivalry thing. It's a thing.
TombstoneTex
AG
I have not tried Star Wars Destiny. Does it have a draft format?
Bryan98
AG
Today is the last day for the current Xia Kickstarter! I finally tried it over the weekend with a solo game, and it was really cool! I can't wait to get a game in with friends.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438045410/xia-embers-of-a-forsaken-star-and-xia-missions-and
Marsh
AG
TombstoneTex
AG
I would be in!
Fleff
AG
I am in the Cypress area, may be interested depending on location and availability.
Bryan98
AG
I could be talked into a TexAgs game night, depending on day, time, location, etc.

Edit: I'm in Bellaire.
Fleff
AG
like i said, my painting is basic, but i usually enjoy doing it and like what it adds to the table.

TombstoneTex
AG
Fleff said:

like i said, my painting is basic, but i usually enjoy doing it and like what it adds to the table.

I don't think you give yourself enough credit. Those look great! The grass on the bases adds a lot too.

My motto when painting is "finished, not perfect" and it helps me to remind myself that any paint job is better than grey plastic!

Thanks for sharing your work.
KidDoc
AG
Yeah those are at least semi-professional. I agree I enjoy it more when I don't obsess over tiny mistakes that are difficult to see anyway. Most of the time when playing you aren't going to be inspecting a painting error on a mouth or eye and having even rough coloring is better than plastic color.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Azariah
AG
RThorp said:

As of December it does. I'm going to a draft in town tonight.
Azariah
AG
Fleff said:

Very nice. I'd just picked up a copy that I was going to have my daughters paint last August. It was on the table when the water came in. *gazes wistfully* I lost a lot of good games that day.
TombstoneTex
AG
Azariah said:

RThorp said:

As of December it does. I'm going to a draft in town tonight.

Nice! I'd be willing to try and pick it up for draft format.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.