***** Boardgame Discussion Thread *****

92,751 Views | 670 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BQRyno
PeekingDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dcAg said:

I probably have 30 board games that I picked up in Germany. A number of them are kid aged games but have probably 15 adult oriented games.

Favorites of mine back in the day are the Squad Leader series of games:

Squad Leader
Cross of Iron
Crescendo of Doom
GI: Anvil of Victory
Panzer Leader
PanzerBlitz

There is still a very large Advanced Squad Leader community with tournament play all over the world if you want to jump back in. There's regular groups in all the major metros in Texas if you live here. Give me a shout if interested.
Eliminatus
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Hot off the press. Second Kickstarter for Gloomhaven just launched

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven-second-printing

tl;dr: Gloomhaven is fantastic. imo it's the most bang for your buck game out there and fully deserves its bgg (soon to be)Top 10 ranking and possibly #1 ranking if this second wave Kickstarter goes over as well as the first. When I'm not playing Gloomhaven I'm thinking about playing Gloomhaven

Background: Gloomhaven is D&D The Video Game: The Board Game. It's a co-op dungeon crawl campaign with some legacy type elements and branching story-lines. No DM needed and each player will get to play multiple different characters throughout the game due to characters retiring.

90% of the game will be played fighting in scenarios. With the other 10% developing the world and your characters in town.

You will like this game if: You liked Final Fantasy games, like dungeon crawl battles, love varying components(some minis, lots of standees, hazards, terrain, map tiles etc etc.) and hate random luck dice .

You should pass on this game if: You don't like the battle system, you don't like the fantasy theme, you want mini's and nothing but minis. On a budget. Time crunched.
WANT!!

Had no idea they were doing a 2nd printing. SOOOOO glad I bailed on Rising sun last minute. Would much rather own this instead.

Thanks for the heads up
Bulldog73
AG
Target and Amazon each running big 2 get 1 specials on games.
heddleston
AG
for the amazon sale some guys on BGG made a spreadsheet you can sort by price or BGG rating: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BmxqYoRRRSDw3zvDt4Vt8IPzlgVl3yhMBiQ2ay1C_AE/htmlview?sle=true#
Mr. Popo
I thought I'd share this because I think we have something unique.

We started playing Heroscape in 2009 right before WoTC murdered it. Over the years our game has evolved completely. Almost all of our figures are Heroclix miniatures from Marvel and DC. We also have Street Fighter, Ninja Turtles, and a custom Patrick Bateman and Indiana Jones. All the cards are custom and are valued based on the "who would win in a fight between" method. Games usually start around 6 pm and end around midnight. Last man standing wins the coveted Heroscape Champ trophy.
Bryan98
AG
That is amazing.
Bulldog73
AG
My old roommate who got us into it made some fun ones. Master Chief was one he was particularly fond of. Its a great game, just a few years before the real board game renaissance.
ziggity06
I bought 6 games from target since amazon sold out of three of them. We now have approx 50 board games
3rdGen2015
AG
Got to play Clank! and Splendor this weekend. Hadn't played either of them before. Both were good times - Clank! gets stressful towards the end with the randomness of the draws and Splendor is just a good, quick game.

Also got a chance to teach Small World to a new player, I really enjoy it since it is so easy to teach and plays quick enough.
Twice an Aggie
AG
I bought the two games for Axis and Allies, Europe and Pacific. You can play just one or combine them for one giant game.

If you want just one game I suggest a newer version that will have more unit choices, etc.
cone
AG
I just read the rule book for the new 1942 second edition

No more tech breakthroughs? Wtf?
Twice an Aggie
AG
Yeah, did away with those but I don't really miss it
heddleston
AG
I finally got my favorite looking game, Arboretum, to the table last week. That joker is a brain burner, especially with only 2 players. Lots of game theory and tough decisions. Do I discard this card I don't need but might be useful in screwing over my opponent later? Or do I keep it and discard something that would get me points?

Also, I've never played any tabletop RPGs before, but got a few Mistborn RPG books in an humble bundle this week. Are these things playable with just 2 players or do I need to find a 3rd/4th?
Red Five
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Hot off the press. Second Kickstarter for Gloomhaven just launched

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven-second-printing

tl;dr: Gloomhaven is fantastic. imo it's the most bang for your buck game out there and fully deserves its bgg (soon to be)Top 10 ranking and possibly #1 ranking if this second wave Kickstarter goes over as well as the first. When I'm not playing Gloomhaven I'm thinking about playing Gloomhaven

Background: Gloomhaven is D&D The Video Game: The Board Game. It's a co-op dungeon crawl campaign with some legacy type elements and branching story-lines. No DM needed and each player will get to play multiple different characters throughout the game due to characters retiring.

90% of the game will be played fighting in scenarios. With the other 10% developing the world and your characters in town.

You will like this game if: You liked Final Fantasy games, like dungeon crawl battles, love varying components(some minis, lots of standees, hazards, terrain, map tiles etc etc.) and hate random luck dice .

You should pass on this game if: You don't like the battle system, you don't like the fantasy theme, you want mini's and nothing but minis. On a budget. Time crunched.
12 hours left in the Gloomhaven KS. This game cause an internal war between my personalities.

The Pragmatist believes that I don't need another dungeon crawl game as my game group has a hard enough time finishing campaigns in the games we already own.
The Gamer believes that I like euros better anyway and I should get The Colonists instead.
The Financier believes I don't have the money to spend on it after dropping 3 times as much on Kingdom Death.
The Collector believes death would be preferable to any scenario which does not involve owning this game.

In the end, The Collector won. I pulled the trigger this morning.
Fleff
AG
You made the right choice.
Boiling Denim
Good deal I hope your group enjoys Gloomhaven as much as we do. Speaking of we just retired our first character this weekend...my wife had to let go of her Scoundrel class; there were almost tears, it was a little emotional. I've got one more mission to go till retirement and we'll be off on new adventures with new characters. This retirement system really does breathe new life into the game.

Side note I received a batch of new games recently

Castles of Burgandy is already an all-time favorite for the wife and I. Brilliant game we love it.

Played a round of Roll for the Galaxy last night with great success. A little confusion at first and still unclear on best paths to victory but this one will be played often I think.

Also got expansions for 7 Wonder Duel and Castles of Ludwig. Liked the Duel expansion a lot more. The Ludwig expansion seems like just a pain in the arse for now but hopefully more plays will change my mind.
Halibut
AG
Just read some reviews of Gloomhaven. I love a good coop game, so I couldn't resist backing it (and just in time). Thanks for the heads up guys!
flintdragon
AG
Space Alert was just delivered from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ALJ9LI

I've been wanting to try this game out with my buddies who have analysis paralysis. Looks like a lot of fun and stressful but only lasts 10 minutes.
tallgrant
Great game, particularly if you learn with a group together. Really rewarding if you can stick it out. Be prepared to be sunk by single moments of idiocy- it happens a lot.
Fleff
AG
Please go check out this thread. There is an amazing woodworker / furniture maker who posts primarily on the Outdoor board, and i reached out to him to build me a game table.

Outdoor Board Game Table

Red Five
AG
Awesome stuff! I'm very jealous. I'm constantly torn between wanting to make my own table and wanting to spend $10K for a geek chic table. Both are equally unreasonable opinions.
KidDoc
AG
That table is awesome!

I picked up The Temple of Elemental Evil D&D board game to play when my daughter and her husband come in to town next weekend. I played through the first of 13 adventures solo to get a hang for it and really like the mechanics and chance. It is designed to be played with a group of up to 5 over the 13 adventures all about an hour each and you carry over from adventure to adventure depending on how you won the prior adventure. Nice coop game for D&D light, who has time to by a DM anyway?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Eliminatus
AG
Finally picked up Mage Knight.

Now just have to learn the damn thing! Quite intimidating...
schmendeler
AG
played Puerto Rico for the first time last weekend. I liked it. definitely going to be picking it up at some point.
heddleston
AG
Since I live overseas I end up doing a good bit of solo gaming. I tried a print-n-play of Deep Space D6 ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/183571/deep-space-d-6 ). If you've ever played FTL: Faster Than Light , it's kinda like a boardgame version of it, and I had a lot of fun with this. They just launched a Kickstarter for a reprint of it, and it'll likely be the last printing of it for a good while if not ever.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tony-go/reissue-of-deep-space-d-6-and-new-mini-expansion
Fleff
AG
Been fairly quiet the last two months, so i figured i would bump this back up.

This is what I have picked up the last few months:

Potion Explosion - My son really wanted this, so we picked this up for him when he won a family March Madness competition. Really fun, light game, similar to candy crush.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - This is the new space cowboys version that was talked about a few pages ago. We have played one case, not quite sure what i think. We bumbled around trying to figure out where to go and who to read, and ultimately visited just about every location in the case. I think figuring out where to start is my biggest problem and depending on what you choose you either have several leads or you don't.

Star Wars Risk - Got this for father's day from one son. We enjoyed it, went a lot quicker than I expected and I lose playing the Imperials. It is a fun light game to play with my son.

Rhino Hero - Got this from my other son. Fun dexterity game, another quick game. Only issue is the cards came with a curve that makes stacking them even harder. We have yet to go around more than 1.5-2 times before it tumbles.

Hero Realms - I really enjoy these deckbuilders that have a theme, but some of the art work frightens my 7 year old. I may have to cut red out when playing with him because it is just too dark. I really enjoy the class decks and what that brings to the game. not sure why they aren't included with the base set, i hate how games have gone to the expansion/DLC sales tactic.

Sheriff of Nottingham - Really enjoy this game. Although it is very easy when playing with my family because my son and wife don't lie. Of course i am sure i will soon regret playing all these games that encourage my son to lie to me.

Specter Ops - Nice hidden movement game. Shorter in length, 45-60mins. A lot of fun and a good level of stress. Nice mix of player abilities, but some seem much better than others. I think an expansion may be coming out for this and I will probably get it.

I also bought the Exit games, but it may be a while before i play them.
jbryan10
AG
Bears vs. Babies being delivered Tuesday. Very excited
Fleff
AG
Thinking about picking up Mansions of Madness, i reread a few thoughts on here but I was wondering if anyone has more thoughts. Seems like replayability would be low, I read it is better if you have the original edition. Worth getting and could i play with two separate groups and it be fresh?
Twice an Aggie
AG
Game of Thrones RISK has been great. 2 players up to 7 player. Game moves quickly and there are a lot of strategy elements very different from traditional RISK.
javajaws
AG
Eliminatus said:

Finally picked up Mage Knight.

Now just have to learn the damn thing! Quite intimidating...
Ditto. I'm reading through the rules and hope to start playing later this week (solo).

Also, I picked up Clank! and played through it a couple times this weekend with a group of 4. Lots of fun and great to play with others who aren't as serious into gaming - the randomness gives them more of a shot. Yet serious gamers like myself can also enjoy it because its just a fun game.

Also played a couple more games of Scythe this weekend - that game never fails to amaze me. Just love this game.

Anybody play LoTR:LCG? I was wanting another solo game to play and that seems like the next best thing to Mage Knight. Thoughts (other than $$)?
Fleff
AG
Instead of buying Mansions of Madness, I picked up Arkham Horror LCG for solo gaming. Similar idea to what you are thinking javajaws. I feel like i heard AH is a better implementation than LOTR. Haven't played yet, getting to be more of collector than player.

I picked up Scythe, $55 from CSI, Near and Far and Kemet as well.
Bulldog73
AG
We're still working our way through Pandemic Legacy. It's getting tougher and tougher. I'm thinking it may be my favorite game still.
heddleston
AG
Got Pandemic: The Cure, which is Pandemic but with dice. I'm loving it, it really does a good job taking the strategic teamwork aspect of regular Pandemic and adding a fun push your luck mechanic to the mix. Not sure if I like it better than regular Pandemic yet, but it's a blast either way. It's also way more portable, which makes it great for taking on trips
Flogi
Bump a roonies because this thread is awesome and does not deserve to be down with the dregs.

I just got Eleminis and dragonwood for my younger kids. Looks simple enough and fun. Good quick games for the youngens.
ziggity06
Twilight Imperium 4th edition was announced

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/11/twilight-imperium-fourth-edition/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.