***** Boardgame Discussion Thread *****

92,715 Views | 670 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BQRyno
Bryan98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've recently gotten Star Wars Rebellion, a long, semi-heavy game that absolutely captures the feeling of the original trilogy! So good. Check out the Shut Up and Sit Down video review:
Red Five
AG
I got Rebellion as soon as it was released this year. It's definitely an epic game. It seems most suited for 2 players, but i have heard that 3 players with 1 rebel vs 2 empire is really good.
Red Five
AG
Also, seems as good a place as any to mention this- Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop officially ended their relationship with each other, meaning FFG will no longer be selling any GW-licensed properties starting in February of 2017. I don't think too many of those games have been mentioned in this thread so far, but that would include obvious titles like Forbidden Stars, 40K Conquest, etc. but also some games that aren't Warhammer or 40K like Talisman and Fury of Dracula. So if any of those games interest you, I would suggest buying them now. The last time Fury of Dracula was out of print it went for $200+ on ebay. It looks like most online retailers are already sold out of Fury of Dracula and Chaos in the Old World, but if you find one in a local shop it might be a good idea to pick it up, even if its just to resell it later.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
Also, seems as good a place as any to mention this- Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop officially ended their relationship with each other, meaning FFG will no longer be selling any GW-licensed properties starting in February of 2017. I don't think too many of those games have been mentioned in this thread so far, but that would include obvious titles like Forbidden Stars, 40K Conquest, etc. but also some games that aren't Warhammer or 40K like Talisman and Fury of Dracula. So if any of those games interest you, I would suggest buying them now. The last time Fury of Dracula was out of print it went for $200+ on ebay. It looks like most online retailers are already sold out of Fury of Dracula and Chaos in the Old World, but if you find one in a local shop it might be a good idea to pick it up, even if its just to resell it later.
So pissed about this. Two of my favorite creators of all time. It was a match that got me moist. I Love FFGs game mechanics and quality and I love GWs warhammer universe.

I was checking out Fury of Dracula the day before the news was announced. Heard about it and checked again. Sold Out. Ughhh.

I am going to assume that GW **** the bed on this one. Because they usually do.
Red Five
AG
The designer of Imperial Assault posted on reddit that the rumor around the FFG offices was that during the license negotiations GW made a requirement that FFG stop selling miniatures games of any kind. Given that X-wing sells more than all other FFG products combined, FFG presumably laughed in their faces.

I guess you can kind of understand GW's stance, X-wing also outsells 40K in the U.S. so they were essentially giving their biggest competitor access to their top licenses.

Seems like there wasn't any other way out of this one, but it sucks to have to lose those games, and especially the expansions for Forbidden Stars and Warhammer Quest that people have been dying to get and now never will.

I'm assuming we will see some of those games rebranded in FFG's own licenses. I bet Forbidden Stars pops back up in the Twilight Imperium universe like they did with Dune (Rex).
Bryan98
AG
quote:
I got Rebellion as soon as it was released this year. It's definitely an epic game. It seems most suited for 2 players, but i have heard that 3 players with 1 rebel vs 2 empire is really good.
I just got the game recently. My first game was 2 players, and it was totally awesome. Second game started as a four-player game but one of the players left around midnight (and Empire player, as it happened).

Both games lasted over five hours, which I'm told is exceedingly long. The box says three to four. I chalked up the first game to learning things and making lots of references to the instructions, and I'm sure that teaching new players and strategizing with one's partner made the second game longer. Still, that's a heck of a lot of time for finishing one board game.

Regardless of the length, I love the game, and would love to play it anytime I have the very large amount of time required.
Red Five
AG
That was pretty much our experience also. My only play took about 4.5 hours. I want to play it again, but the only times I have that much time to play its at a game night with 3-4 other people, so it's not going to come out. One day!
Azariah
AG
quote:
Given that X-wing sells more than all other FFG products combined, FFG presumably laughed in their faces.
As of December 2015, X-Wing sold more than any other miniature game of any kind, not just by FFG. It dethroned Warhammer for the first time in decades. Armada was number three.
Azariah
AG
I would love to get together with other Houston people to play board games sometime. I'm in Kingwood, and there is a dearth of mature gaming folks out here. Especially in my group of suburban friends, it's all kids and school and work.
Red Five
AG
As I pointed out in the next sentence.
Azariah
AG
quote:
But the Armada being number three was new information, right?
Azariah
AG
quote:
I'm assuming we will see some of those games rebranded in FFG's own licenses. I bet Forbidden Stars pops back up in the Twilight Imperium universe like they did with Dune (Rex).
Since I'm reading the rest of the post now...

It would be really cool to see someone basically swap out the IP behind the game mechanics, and just keep rolling.
Azariah
AG
btw, I LOVE board games, and never get to play them. If this thread sticks around I will be super chatty.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
But the Armada being number three was new information, right?
Bryan98
AG
I'd really love to do a TexAgs board games meetup sometime, but it's tough during football season. Certain Sundays I could meet somewhere in central Houston at 4pm. Obviously things open up a lot more after football season.
Eliminatus
AG
I make it to Houston bout once a year if that. But if anyone is in the BCS area....
Azariah
AG
Football season is right out for weekends. Can only do during the week.
SF2004
AG
Anyone here looked up table top simulator?

It seems to work really well and have most games modded into it. The problem of course is people to play with.

Also, I am a big fan of Axis and Allies... would be killer to get a game in on table top simulator every so often.
Azariah
AG
I've got TTS loaded up, and am even more interested in it now that it has VR. The only issue I have is that it seems over complicated. I worked all night one evening to get X-Wing up and running. It was a huge pain.
AcctAg11
AG
I've Mentioned TTS a few times on this board. I bought it on sale for $10 and could not have made a better investment for entertainment. I also purchased one of the DLC's (Scythe) to be able to host it.

Absolutely recommend TTS for anyone who likes playing heavier or longer games but cant manage to put together groups as often as they would like. Its very easy to find people to play with on TTS and the community is generally very good.

quote:
I've got TTS loaded up, and am even more interested in it now that it has VR. The only issue I have is that it seems over complicated. I worked all night one evening to get X-Wing up and running. It was a huge pain.
Did you use one of the Workshop setups for X-wing? I learned how to play X-Wing on TTS and there are some good versions to use, especially the ones with scripts for movement. Putting together your flight group might take some time, but setting up the game should be very simple from what I have seen.

Almost every game anyone could want to play is likely already on the workshop with TTS, many with multiple versions that improve upon previous ones.
Azariah
AG
quote:
quote:
Did you use one of the Workshop setups for X-wing? I learned how to play X-Wing on TTS and there are some good versions to use, especially the ones with scripts for movement. Putting together your flight group might take some time, but setting up the game should be very simple from what I have seen.

Almost every game anyone could want to play is likely already on the workshop with TTS, many with multiple versions that improve upon previous ones.

There were multiple supposedly easy ways to set things up, and there was no good guide that I could find to do it. What I found was a ton of tedium trying to lay things out either from building out my squad or just trying to get the game going.

That being said, I'm open to trying again if we were to get a TTS group going.
AcctAg11
AG
quote:

There were multiple supposedly easy ways to set things up, and there was no good guide that I could find to do it. What I found was a ton of tedium trying to lay things out either from building out my squad or just trying to get the game going.

That being said, I'm open to trying again if we were to get a TTS group going.

One of the things I am still learning how to do is save certain groups of objects so that i can paste them/load them into a table i join, such as an X-Wing squad, character sheets for D&D, etc. I am sure there is a way, outside of copy and paste, but i havent figured it out on my own yet.

I would try going into one of the X-Wing tables and asking the host how they do it. I always see at least one public table up for X-Wing. The Host will probably recommend a workshop item to subscribe to and give some setup help/advice. Most games are set up as simple as hitting "Load Game" in the menu. TTS has a lot of functionality, its just short on helping you figure out anything outside the basic commands.
Bryan98
AG
quote:

I have board game nights during the week sometimes, but generally the only people who can come are people with no kids, and who live in central Houston.
Azariah
AG
quote:
quote:

I have board game nights during the week sometimes, but generally the only people who can come are people with no kids, and who live in central Houston.
I was already a gamer when I got married 15 years ago, so the devoted time for gaming was a known quantity. Thursdays are out, but most other nights are good.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I have TTS and would be up for playing nearly anything. Let me know!

eyeguytex is my steam name
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
3rdGen2015
AG
After the game on Saturday, the group I was with played Puerto Rico. It was my first time playing, but it was a good time as soon as everybody got the hang of the rules.
Red Five
AG
Crazy afternoon yesterday, Riot lifted the NDA on their new League of Legends board game, Mechs vs. Minions, and coordinated a massive (for the board game industry) media blitz of reviews. The Dice Tower, Watch it Played, The Secret Cabal, Rahdo Runs Through, and a bunch of other popular board game media outlets had reviews up pretty much simultaneously.

People are pretty much going nuts right now over this. The game goes up for sale on October 13th from Riot's store, they will not be selling it through third party retail outlets. Their first print run is 30K, which is huge for board games, but less huge if they are marketing it to their 100 million person player base. I'm hoping to get a copy day 1, but they could be gone in a matter of seconds. Supposedly they will print more if demand is there, but you never know.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions
Red Five
AG
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Anyone play battletech alpha strike or collectable card game in Bryan College Station?
KidDoc
AG
quote:

This looks amazaballs!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Average Joe
AG
quote:

I need this and Star Wars: Rebellion and people to play with in College Station like right meow.
tlepoC
AG
Austin board game group needs to reunite
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:

I need this and Star Wars: Rebellion and people to play with in College Station like right meow.
I'm in CS and would like to play some but I also work and have the whole husband/dad gig as well so can't stay up playing till 12 or anything and still function. I'm an old haha.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:

Bryan98
AG
Star Wars Rebellion is awesome!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.