***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

195,339 Views | 1922 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably wouldn't. GRRM was mainly a sci-fi writer before ASOIAF and he always says Tolkien is his biggest inspiration.
bluefire579
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Watched that whole thing too. Everything he said was on point, and **** Warner Brothers for ruining everything.

His comment about how LOTR basically kicked off fantasy as a popular and respected genre in film made me realize it kind of mirrored LOTR's book release. It was the first successful, widely read fantasy series and really kickstarted the genre in the 20th century. Not long ago I read something about Tolkien being passed over for the 1961 Nobel Prize in literature for LOTR, with some of the critics of the time and the committee criticizing his prose instead of looking at the total contribution to literature and storytelling. They got lost in the trees and missed the fact that his books were masterpieces of detail and creation that formed the cornerstone for an entirely new genre of literature. That kind of contribution doesn't come along every day. Jackson's movies were very similar, being the first fantasy film to win best picture at the Oscars and really opening the door for fantasy storytelling in film to be taken seriously. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a person or story with more impact across such a wide array of storytelling formats than Tolkien and LOTR.
You're ignoring a long line of fantasy authors and novels that were widely read and beloved that Tolkien himself took inspiration from. H Rider Haggard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, William Morris, George MacDonald, to name a few, all had impacts on his work, and were all popular in their own rights, not to mention being studied on their own merits in the literary community, well before he even began to write the trilogy.

What Tolkien did was no doubt impressive, but he far from kickstarted the genre. He obviously created a masterpiece that influenced many, building off what many others built and creating archetypes that others have since taken and run with, not just in literature, but in other genres (games, movies, etc.). It's just ignoring so much to name him responsible when the genre was well established long before the trilogy was even written, much less released.
DallasTeleAg
Yeah, but Tolkien is considered the father of modern fantasy because of his creation of so many things we consider to be tropes, at this point. I would probably guarantee there are more fantasy writers from the last 50 years who would cite LotR over any of those others as the biggest inspiration for them.
BAP Enthusiast

I refuse to believe this isn't a money laundering scam. They straight copied daytime soap opera intros.

DallasTeleAg
Hmm.... not enough asians, Indians, or middle-eastern people in the cast. I wish the creators were more inclusive.
Sex Panther
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

I refuse to believe this isn't a money laundering scam. They straight copied daytime soap opera intros.

Dead
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

My friend said this is fake. He's at the cinemark showing right now
BAP Enthusiast
YNWA_AG said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

My friend said this is fake. He's at the cinemark showing right now

Someone made it as part of the official marketing, why in the world did they think it was a good idea?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They did it specifically to piss you off.
PatAg
AG
I assume there would be graphics behidn them and not just a black screen
amercer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Reassuring, but I'd have the hobbit movies more a 3/10.
So he's grading on a curve already. Agree with the 10/10 for the LOTR movies though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tonight!
The Porkchop Express
This thread is about to get uglier than Lizzo at Golden Corral.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
BAP Enthusiast
The Porkchop Express said:

This thread is about to get uglier than Lizzo at Golden Corral.

Given the ****show that many of the reviews are saying it is, I don't doubt it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep it's sitting at an abysmal 84% on RT, same as HotD.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was just thinking about this last night... who had the more tragic death between Boromir and Ned Stark?

They actually have some big similarities in that they were both bound by honor and duty to their family. Boromir was obviously tempted at the end, but never out of a desire for power. Ned Stark just made some bad decisions due to always trying to do the honorable thing.
DallasTeleAg
Ned was more foolish than Borimir. Borimir just came across a fight that was unwinnable, and still killed a hundred mother****ers. I wouldn't call that a tragic death, but a heroic one. I would consider Ned's to be more a tragic death.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think Boromir's death was both heroic and tragic. Ned definitely more tragic than anything, but still honorable to the end.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Haha thought the same damn thing! Is this a soap opera?
redline248
AG
Boromir is a classic tragic death. Just as soon as he realizes his mistake has to face down all that and loses the chance at really making it up to Frodo. Plus, as stated, he straight piled them bodies
cbr
AG
That cast and costumes and intro all look like an average local thespian group
black_ice
Props to the added diversity in the casting. Hopefully we see some interracial love interests develop as well.
The Porkchop Express
Bormir is my favorite type of flawed hero. he can't see the gray, just the black and white. The enemy is at our gates, here is the most powerful weapon there is, let's use it to kill him. I have no doubt the ring would have corrupted Boromir in record time, but I guarantee you he would have used it to stomp Sauron's ass first.

Ned Stark is an exceptionally likable character for us TV viewers, but he was the ultimate fish out of water once he left WInterfell. Everyone else with rare exception was playing the game and he didn't even know there was a game. He had so many opportunities to avoid his death and live to fight another day but he was too loyal to people who had no loyalty or too stubborn to see it, and called it honor. About the only good thing he did in KL was weaponizing Arya Stark via Syrio Forel.

Boromir's death was all you can ask for as a movie star. Even when he had two arrows the size of patriot missile in his chest he kept slicing guys up. And for every Tolkien fan who read the books first, hearing the Horn of Gondor is the sweetest music alive.

Very few people went out like a biatch worse than Eddard Stark. I think that chapter of the book is from Arya's point of view. I remember reading it. Going to the next chapter then thinking, wait, did they just kill the main guy?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree with pretty much all of that except Ned going out like a *****.

Sure, terrible decisions put him in the position, but in the end he put his daughters' safety over saving his own life.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Agree with pretty much all of that except Ned going out like a *****.

Sure, terrible decisions put him in the position, but in the end he put his daughters' safety over saving his own life.

Did he? He should have left the city when he resigned as hand of the king, or had them ride out with armed guards. Sansa suffered horribly for years because of his bad choices.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't think you can put Joffrey's treatment of Sansa on Ned. Joffrey was a sociopath and if he was more like Tommen, she would've been more than fine. I mean even Cersei liked Sansa for the most part.

But we're dangerously close to derailing, so back to LOTR.
Cromagnum
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Haha thought the same damn thing! Is this a soap opera?

Oof that is bad. Change name to Simparillion
DallasTeleAg
Again, I think Ned was just foolish. Westeros couldn't have been a land filled with sunshine and gumdrop smiles for the last 300 years, only to become what it was in the shows.
redline248
AG
I remember thinking Boromir's horn should have been way louder, deeper and more menacing in the movie.
Cromagnum
AG
The comments...lmao
Chipotlemonger
AG
All this Boromir talk makes me want to go back and watch Fellowship. It's been quite a few years since I have watched start to finish!

That being said, I never watched the extended versions. Is there a way to stream these somewhere or get for cheap?
The Porkchop Express
Chipotlemonger said:

All this Boromir talk makes me want to go back and watch Fellowship. It's been quite a few years since I have watched start to finish!

That being said, I never watched the extended versions. Is there a way to stream these somewhere or get for cheap?
The first 90 seconds of this scene from the TTT EE could be a beer commercial.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

That being said, I never watched the extended versions.
My God man.

You need to watch these ASAP.

Although all three EE's are great, I think ROTK EE is the only way to watch it as there is some massively important stuff left out. (There's also a fantastic Boromir scene in TTT.)

I believe HBO Max may have both versions of each movie available.
Unnecessary Deafness
AG
Two years ago I decided to read each book for the first time and then watch the extended version. It was well worth it. Couldn't wait to get a chance to read whenever I got the chance while doing that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.