***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

192,981 Views | 1917 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Faustus
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I made my wife watch the LOTR trilogy while she was on bed rest pregnant with our twins.
DallasTeleAg
OnlyForNow said:

My wife has decided that she wants to read the LOTR trilogy.

She does not normally like fantasy books like this. Read and enjoyed Harry Potter, but that's barely into this kind of realm.

Y'all have any advice for getting her to stick with it? I think she is gonna get bogged down early on in FOTR when the hobbits are leaving the Shire and get into Tom Bombadil's land - although a very essential part of book 1 and the series it does go quite slow.
The best thing to do is have her look at it as small portions. Read one chapter a day. That should help her get through. I absolutely disagree with the previous post about how she wouldn't like it if she doesn't like Book 1.

As anyone who has read the series knows, the Return of the King is absolutely epic.
Solo Tetherball Champ
A set photo has been leaked on twitter.

Seeing that it has been promoted by the guy who has managed to break a number of scoops, I'm inclined to believe it, even if looks like it could be right out of Minas Tirith.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Already removed
Solo Tetherball Champ
SpreadsheetAg said:

Already removed
That was one revealing staircase.
AgBQ-00
AG
Have not read the whole thread so apologies if this is already talked about. Have any of you watched the videos on youtube put out by Nerd of the Rings? He does a great job of covering history and lore of middle earth. If you have not watched them I think you'd enjoy them. Below is his video of the History Of Numenor

AliasMan02
AG
Noticed that the audio books for LotR are included in the current 2 for 1 sale on Audible.
chase128
AG
I got The Nature of Middle-earth for my birthday. Haven't had time to dive in yet. Has anyone read it? Thoughts?
Solo Tetherball Champ
In an interesting development, twitter user fellowshipoffans (give him a follow) and theonering.net have both independently broke that the person in the image below is none other than Finrod Felagund.

Most notably:
Finrod was the big brother of Galadriel
One of the leaders of the Noldor when they left the undying lands
The first important elf to encounter men and befriend them
Aided Beren on his quest to recover the Silmarils (Holy Jewels) and in the process was captured, then lost a magical rap battle to Sauron before being killed by a werewolf.

Orome
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

In an interesting development, twitter user fellowshipoffans (give him a follow) and theonering.net have both independently broke that the person in the image below is none other than Finrod Felagund.

Most notably:
Finrod was the big brother of Galadriel
One of the leaders of the Noldor when they left the undying lands
The first important elf to encounter men and befriend them
Aided Beren on his quest to recover the Silmarils (Holy Jewels) and in the process was captured by Sauron after losing a magical rap battle, before being killed by a werewolf.

I love his stories in the Silmarillion. Will be very interesting to see how and what they adapt.
The Dog Lord
AG
SIAP, but I just recently saw reports from July that said Sauron/Annatar will not appear in season 1. I'm really interested to see where they start, what they focus on first, etc.
Solo Tetherball Champ
The Dog Lord said:

SIAP, but I just recently saw reports from July that said Sauron/Annatar will not appear in season 1. I'm really interested to see where they start, what they focus on first, etc.

Well, we will have a decent idea by the end of the weekend.

Follow FellowshipofFans on twitter. Or just wait here, I'm sure the news will make it around her eventually.
AgBQ-00
AG
I don't know that it will be an issue. If they are following the time line Sauron is not the original bad guy. He was a lieutenant in the 1st age IIRC
chase128
AG
I thought most of the series was going to take place in the Second Age, when Sauron is the main baddie. Maybe the first season is going to actually take place in the First Age.
Solo Tetherball Champ
chase128 said:

I thought most of the series was going to take place in the Second Age, when Sauron is the main baddie. Maybe the first season is going to actually take place in the First Age.

It's not.

The latest rumor is that the first two episodes of season 1 are functioning as a bit of prologue. Whether it is an entirely separate narrative from the rest of the series, or if it is merely heavy on flashbacks and expeditionary dialogue is unclear at the moment.

Solo Tetherball Champ

Isildur is confirmed to be in the show. Speculation is about 90% sure he is played by Maxim Baldry.

https://twitter.com/FansFellowship/status/1451965794016010242?s
FriendlyAg
What's the update on the timeline for the show? I feel like I was reading about it 2 years ago...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Second age and likely culminating in the battle seen in the prologue of FOTR.
redline248
AG
No, like...when will it come out?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh lol. Still no word.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
redline248 said:

L O L
FriendlyAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Second age and likely culminating in the battle seen in the prologue of FOTR.

Bro I didn't even think you were responding to me haha
Solo Tetherball Champ
redline248 said:

September 2022 is what the current rumor mill is saying.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
My daughter and I are about 60% of the way through the movie FOTR and she is loving it, although the scene at Rivendell where Bilbo tries to snatch the ring frodo scared the hell out of her. Bonus points, she keeps calling Saruman Count Dooku
The Porkchop Express
Mixing some LOTR into the action to make editing this rules of driving guide less mind-numbing today.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sean Astin holding a potato.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sean Astin holding a potato.
PatAg
AG
that is awful
The Porkchop Express
So I introduced my daughter to the Hobbit movies last year and we have now started the LOTR trilogy, which she is totally into other than being absolutely terrified of Golum. We're about 2/3rds of the way into the Two Towers and I'm really enjoying watching them over and with a fresh pair of eyes. I've read the books through maybe twice, but not in decades.

My question is - what is Saruman's end-game for helping Sauron? Does he really think Sauron will share the rule of Middle Earth, like allow Saruman to have Rohan - while he controls the rest? Or is his sole motivation being - alliance with Sauron, then find the ring first. The movies make it a marked point that he creates the Uruk-hai to be loyal to him alone and to deliver the hobbits alive with the ring. Is that the case in the books as well? Surely he's too shrewd to believe that Sauron would share the power.

In the rewatch, I am continually mesmerized by the acting work of first Sean Bean, and then Bernard Hill. This could be a contest or just a discussion, or maybe we already had this discussion and I'm just too tired to remember, but he has to be one of the best "second act" characters of all time, right? I realize that is a sort of narrow scope - since it only involves movies that have a sequel or are a trilogy, but who else has been an amazing contribution to a story overall who wasn't in the first movie?

Al Bula
AG
Just enjoy and don't overthink. It is what it is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Deniro in Godfather II has to be up there.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Deniro in Godfather II has to be up there.
Thought you were going to nominate Dexter Jettster.

Beat40
If I recall correctly from the book, Saruman really wanted to have command of the ring and ultimately try to knock Sauron off or at least use the ring to control Sauron.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.