***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

195,362 Views | 1922 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm sure I'm going to get in hot water for this, but I felt at the time (remember, I used to like the movies much more than I do now) that ROTK best picture win was more of a lifetime achievement victory for the entire trilogy rather than it being an individual best film.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Of course it was. Well deserved, but if definitely was.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm sure I'm going to get in hot water for this, but I felt at the time (remember, I used to like the movies much more than I do now) that ROTK best picture win was more of a lifetime achievement victory for the entire trilogy rather than it being an individual best film.

Thanks for that hot take from 2004!
powerbelly
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ
So with the Amazon show appearing to enter production tomorrow, when should we create a multi-asterisk official thread for the show?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We may as well use this one until the show releases.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

We may as well use this one until the show releases.
Or a trailer. We have a cast but we don't know who they are playing.

The interesting events of the second age span cover about 2,000 years, from Sauron seducing the elves to the Last Alliance and we have no idea what this show is going to cover (or how).
Madmarttigan
AG
If Star Wars and Marvel can have 5 threads for one movie, make whatever threads you want.
Chipotlemonger
AG
tv1113 said:

If Star Wars and Marvel can have 5 threads for one movie, make whatever threads you want.

No kidding
powerbelly
AG
tv1113 said:

We are better than them.
redline248
AG
powerbelly said:

tv1113 said:

We are better than them.

Oh you just wait
Solo Tetherball Champ
powerbelly said:

tv1113 said:

We are better than them.
We're certainly literate.
powerbelly
AG

powerbelly said:

tv1113 said:

We are better than them.

*me trying to remember who is who in the Silmarillion
Solo Tetherball Champ
powerbelly said:

powerbelly said:

tv1113 said:

We are better than them.

I got you, fam:
Grimey
For covering 10,000+ years, that is suprisingly short.
redline248
AG
That's bc they skip generations
Solo Tetherball Champ
Grimey said:

For covering 10,000+ years, that is suprisingly short.
To be fair, a good chunk of that list are immortal elves, immortal angelic spirits, and dwarves, not to mention supermen that live for hundreds of years. It is not until you get pretty low on the list that you get near anyone with what we would call a normal lifespan.

Besides, it is not exactly to scale either.
Al Bula
AG

powerbelly said:

powerbelly said:

tv1113 said:

We are better than them.

I got you, fam:

this looks like a map of Hyrule from a Nintendo Power special Zelda walkthrough edition.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's exactly what I thought also.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Shife said:

powerbelly said:

powerbelly said:

tv1113 said:

We are better than them.

I got you, fam:

this looks like a map of Hyrule from a Nintendo Power special Zelda walkthrough edition.
Pshhh.

Amateurs. My 5th-grade self was the ultimate badass nerd: I got to 100% on Ocarina of Time without any guides.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same here.

Were you not younger though? I thought you were younger than me. I was in 5th grade as well. Unless you played it later.
Solo Tetherball Champ
It is all a little hazy now. It could have been anywhere from 4th - 6th grade, as I played the **** out of that game.

I was over at my parent's house over the weekend looking for something in what was long ago my bedroom and I stumbled across a box in my old closet that contains my n64 and game library. Later that night, I asked myself why I didn't grab it and take it home with me. I thought for a moment and realized that I could probably beat the water temple by memory right now. I figure I should wait another decade before dusting it off.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Tolkien nerd in me says that religion already exists: Catholicism.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just way more metal.

Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just way more metal.

The Silmarillion is metal AF.

I've seen this picture countless times, but I've always wondered who is that guy in the foreground. That's obviously Melkor juggling the Silmarils in the background.
PDWT_12
AG

"And Morgoth came."
DVC2010
AG
PDWT_12 said:

"And Morgoth came."
Quote:

...and it is said that he took not the challenge willingly; for though his might was greatest of all things in this world, alone of the Valar he knew fear. But he could not now deny the challenge before the face of his captains; for the rocks rang with the shrill music of Fingolfin's horn, and his voice came keen and clear down to the depths of Angband; and Fingolfin named Morgoth craven, and lord of slaves. Therefore Morgoth came, climbing slowly from his subterranean throne, and the rumor of his feet was like thunder underground. And he issued forth clad in black armour; and he stood before the King like a tower, iron-crowned, and his vast shield, sable unblazoned, cast a shadow over him like a stormcloud. But Fingolfin gleamed beneath it as a star; for his mail was overlaid with silver, and his blue shield was set with crystals; and he drew his sword Ringil, that glittered like ice.
Solo Tetherball Champ
PDWT_12 said:

"And Morgoth came."
Now news came to Hithlum that Dorthonion was lost and the sons of Finarfin overthrown, and that the sons of Fanor were driven from their lands. Then Fingolfin beheld (as it seemed to him) the utter ruin of the Noldor, and the defeat beyond redress of all their houses; and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Orom himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.

That was the last time in those wars that he passed the doors of his stronghold, and it is said that he took not the challenge willingly; for though his might was greatest of all things in this world, alone of the Valar he knew fear. But he could not now deny the challenge before the face of his captains; for... Fingolfin named Morgoth craven and lord of slaves.... Therefore Morgoth... issued forth clad in black armor; and he stood before the King like a tower, iron-crowned, and his vast shield, sable unblazoned, cast a shadow over him like a stormcloud. But Fingolfin gleamed beneath it as a star; for his mail was overlaid with silver, and his blue shield was set with crystals; and he drew his sword Ringil, that glittered like ice.

Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth. whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away as lightning shoots under a dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands.

But at the last the King grew weary, and Morgoth bore down his shield upon him. Thrice he was crushed to his knees, and thrice arose again and bore up his broken shield and stricken helm. But the earth was all rent and pitted about him, and he stumbled and fell backward before the feet of Morgoth; and Morgoth set his left foot upon his neck and the weight of it was like a fallen hill. Yet with his last and desperate stroke Fingolfin hewed the foot with Ringil, and the blood gushed forth black and smoking and filled the pits of Grond.

Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-kings of old.
DVC2010
AG

PDWT_12 said:

"And Morgoth came."
Now news came to Hithlum that Dorthonion was lost and the sons of Finarfin overthrown, and that the sons of Fanor were driven from their lands. Then Fingolfin beheld (as it seemed to him) the utter ruin of the Noldor, and the defeat beyond redress of all their houses; and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Orom himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.

That was the last time in those wars that he passed the doors of his stronghold, and it is said that he took not the challenge willingly; for though his might was greatest of all things in this world, alone of the Valar he knew fear. But he could not now deny the challenge before the face of his captains; for... Fingolfin named Morgoth craven and lord of slaves.... Therefore Morgoth... issued forth clad in black armor; and he stood before the King like a tower, iron-crowned, and his vast shield, sable unblazoned, cast a shadow over him like a stormcloud. But Fingolfin gleamed beneath it as a star; for his mail was overlaid with silver, and his blue shield was set with crystals; and he drew his sword Ringil, that glittered like ice.

Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth. whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away as lightning shoots under a dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands.

But at the last the King grew weary, and Morgoth bore down his shield upon him. Thrice he was crushed to his knees, and thrice arose again and bore up his broken shield and stricken helm. But the earth was all rent and pitted about him, and he stumbled and fell backward before the feet of Morgoth; and Morgoth set his left foot upon his neck and the weight of it was like a fallen hill. Yet with his last and desperate stroke Fingolfin hewed the foot with Ringil, and the blood gushed forth black and smoking and filled the pits of Grond.

Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-kings of old.

Well I wasn't going to spoil the ending!
amercer
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ
DVC2010 said:

PDWT_12 said:

"And Morgoth came."

Well I wasn't going to spoil the ending!
If someone has made it that far into the Silmarillion, they should realize it only gets worse, worse, and worse for the good guys.
redline248
AG
The only things to make everyone crazier than p-ssy are the Simarils
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.