***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

195,366 Views | 1922 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That sounds right. Iirc Saruman had gotten extremely full of himself (probably corrupted from screwing around with the palantir) and thought he was truly capable of defeating Sauron with the ring.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I always thought he was setting himself up as a vassal to Sauron. Switching allegiances.

Even if Sarumon got the ring. The ring would still want to get back to Sauron and would likely find a way.
powerbelly
AG
heddleston said:

That sounds right. Iirc Saruman had gotten extremely full of himself (probably corrupted from screwing around with the palantir) and thought he was truly capable of defeating Sauron with the ring.

FTR he probably would have been if he could control the ring. The Istari and maiar had varying powers but Saruman and Sauron were among the strongest.
tallgrant
My understanding is Saruman wanted the Ring for himself because he wanted power (not to mention bitterness and jealousy of Gandalf), and tried to leave Dol Goldur alone so he could search the Gladden Fields. When Sauron eventually reappeared in Mordor they came into some arrangement via the palantir.

I was always under the impression he was playing both sides, and he got boxed in as the Nazgul began searching for the Shire. At that point if he didn't get the Ring he'd lose what influence he had regardless of who prevailed.
Solo Tetherball Champ
So, rumor is that something should be dropping for the Amazon LOT show. If I were to guess, it will be around the Super Bowl and could be a teaser show.

Also, some cast information has begun to leak out:
  • Lloyd Owen is Elendil
  • Maxim Baldry is Isildur
  • Trystan Gravelle is Pharazon
  • Ema Harvath is playing Isildur's Sister (original character - not Anorien)

In addition to Morfydd Clark as Galadriel, and Robert Aramayo as Elrond.

Also, Lenny Henry is playing some sort of Hobbit.

Some scenes have leaked too:
Galadriel goes to Numenor
The sentiment of the island is decidedly anti-elf
Some sort of Meteor falls from the sky, with a being inside of it (cringe)

The Porkchop Express
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Morfydd Clark as Galadriel,

Some sort of Meteor falls from the sky, with a being inside of it (cringe)

it's not often the person's actual name is weirder than the character name in LOTR

A meteor? Is it Doomsday?
OCEN99
AG

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotrmemes/comments/s28bxu/foot_soldier_recalls_his_own_personal_experience/
The Collective
AG
Saw this on reddit this morning.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I Have Spoken said:

What am I missing?
powerbelly
AG
Argonath filming location maybe?
PatAg
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I Have Spoken said:

What am I missing?
Imagine two giant statues, and a couple of boats with hobbits
ChipFTAC01
AG
Sorry, I saw that. I thought there was something subtle I was missing.
The Porkchop Express
Spent a lot of time this weekend watching LOTR with one of my kids, who has never seen them before. We did the hobbit trilogy last year. Really been great seeing the story unfold through her eyes as we head down the home as stretch. Being the smallest in her class, you can see how much she loves the Hobbits doing big heroic things. On Sunday night. Pippin lit the beacons of Gondor and yesterday he saved Faramir from the Steward of Crazytown. Really resonates with her as she tends to make not so great decisions from time to time like that Fool of a Took. Shelob wasn't nearly as frightening as she was in 2003 but by and large the cgi still looks good. They definitely knew their limitations on where it was better to have amazing costumes.
YNWA_AG
AG
The Collective
AG
Please be good! Please be good! Please be good!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouTube version:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That got me hype.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We hear that Howard Shore theme in there. I see you Amazon.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
amercer
AG
So it's about the forging of the rings? Been a long time since I read all the books (and I only did the Silmarillion once)

Where does this put us in the timeline?
wangus12
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ
amercer said:

So it's about the forging of the rings? Been a long time since I read all the books (and I only did the Silmarillion once)

Hard to say.

The Second Age is about 3500 years long.

The Rings of Power were forged midway through the age, at about 1600. Then Sauron and the elves fight a war, Sauron kicks their asses and recovers most of the Rings. Soon the Numenorians arrive and drive Sauron back.

Theres a Cold War for the next 1000 years or so, Numenorians become imperialistic and establish colonies in Middle-Earth. Sauron gives out 7 of the rings he's recovered to dwarves, and the remaining 9 to some guys who take a liking to black robes and screeching.

Numenor eventually launches a great Armada to establish their dominion over Middle-Earth, actually conquering Mordor and Sauron (while he has the Ring), taking him prisoner back to Numenor. He then corrupts them further (they were already *******s at this point) into Morgoth worship, convincing them to attack the undying lands to seize immortality by force. This goes poorly.

Numenor is destroyed, its survivors flee to Middle-Earth and found Gondor (and Arnor) from some of its colonies. Sauron also escapes, and returns to Mordor.

The surviving Numenorians and elves forge a final alliance and launch an all out assault before Mordor can recover its full strength. You know the rest...

As for the show:

We know that Galadriel is cast (Morfydd Clark, the woman who did the voice over), and Elrond. From there things get murky on the elven side. But they're elves, they can appear at any point in the age.

We know that Isildur, Elendil, Pharazon, Miriel, are key roles and who is playing them. That points to the Late Second Age.

But...

We've also heard reports that Celebrimbor is cast (we believe he was played by Tom Budge, who was replaced). We've some descriptions of the area where the One Ring is forged.

If they're condensing the timeline, it seems odd to showcase the forging of the One Ring alongside Elendil/Pharazon and late Numenor shenanigans.

There's also been rumors that the first episode is functionally a prologue; could they tell that whole story in a single episode?

All in all, 90% of set reports and leaks have been about Numenor. Absence of leaks regarding elves or dwarves isn't evidence of absence. We know of elven sets and I've seen dwarven set pics, but we don't know much about what has been filmed there.
maroon man
S
The voice over didn't do it for me...pretty hard to beat Cate..but then again Cate Blanchett could read the phone book and have me
C@LAg

amercer said:

Hard to say.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!
C@LAg
C@LAg
at least one of our own who posts on Texags is working on this project.

He went through the Viz program at A&M, and also happens to have been my roommate for a year and a half.

Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ
C@LAg said:

He went through the Viz program at A&M, and also happens to have been my roommate for a year and a half.

Interesting... I don't suppose you could put him in contact with me and some of my internet pals...

Long story short, there's a group online called fellowship of fans. The group has managed to break about 80% of what is known about the production. I'm a member; I'm the guy known as penguin.

If this guy is willing to risk the wrath of Mordor Amazon and talk, we could probably piece more of this show together.
The Collective
AG
C@LAg

C@LAg said:

Interesting... I don't suppose you could put him in contact with me and some of my internet pals...

Long story short, there's a group online called fellowship of fans. The group has managed to break about 80% of what is known about the production. I'm a member; I'm the guy known as penguin.

If this guy is willing to risk the wrath of Mordor Amazon and talk, we could probably piece more of this show together.
he has specifically not posted on this thread because he does not want to give any impressions/information one way or the other in regards to the production and risk his job and reputation.

he has said he will have more leeway to discuss things once the first season is out and he can address specifics at that point.
Solo Tetherball Champ
C@LAg said:

C@LAg said:

he has specifically not posted on this thread because he does not want to give any impressions/information one way or the other in regards to the production and risk his job and reputation.

he has said he will have more leeway to discuss things once the first season is out and he can address specifics at that point.
Yeah, I figured it was a long shot. But what's the harm in asking, right?

It's one thing to learn things from pissed off New Zealanders who thought they had a job for the next half-decade or so. It's quite another for a professional who is currently working on the production to spill the beans.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just wait and watch the show, dude.
DallasTeleAg
Meh. I just know they will ruin it with woke bs. Keeping my expectations low. We'll find out that Glorfindel was really a gay black dude and Galadriel is trans. Guarantee we will have many boxes checked in this show.
OnlyForNow
AG
So you're saying we could find out who it is with some heavy research into LOTR posters and who is absent here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.