***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

192,974 Views | 1917 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Faustus
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beat40 said:

Looking forward to watching this tonight!!

Man that was fun to watch! It's good to see this they genuinely like each other. I really liked watching them all smiling while Billy Boyd was singing.

The scene rereads were fun too. That was all around done well.

Ian McKellen was the perfect Gandalf.
Beat40
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I was mindblown to find out Boromir's speech at the Council of Elrond was written the night before shooting, and Sean Bean had his lines written down and taped to his knee that's why he was looking down when he gives that iconic line -- "One does not simply walk into Mordor."

It was funny that Christopher Lee told Ian he should have played Gandalf the first time they met. It was equally awesome seeing the footage of him telling the cast how great they had done on the films knowing he had read the book once a year. Extremely high praise from a legendary actor/figure.
Beat40
Rewatched The Martian this past Friday and forgot they called their secret meeting Project Elrond. It was a joy to see Sean Bean in that scene and part of the meeting.

Also, the director of NASA at the beginning of the meeting says that if they're giving out code names he wants Glorfindel! I had the urge to yell GLORRRFINDELLL!!

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Man, this grinned my way through that 50-minute zoom call, what an effort. And Miranda Otto keeps getting finer with age - looking fantastic at age 52.

Really liked the Bernard Hill moment at the end; still my favorite character from LOTR

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Beautiful tribute to Ian Holm from Peter Jackson.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/the-wonderful-sir-ian-holm/10158439252151558/
Chipotlemonger
AG
Very nice tribute. Thanks for posting!
Ag 11
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'll try to get a LOTR tournament going by Friday.
AtlAg05
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Character? Scene?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
moment
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Where we meeting up to play the board game?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Your mom's house.
pb488
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Your mom's house.

LOTR board game? that's probably correct
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Sorry for the delay in the LOTR Tournament. As I was finalizing entries Thursday night I became aware that Horn of Ban Hammer had been sounded on my account ONE LAST TIME.

Staff, not a big fan of creativity with anagrams it seems, even when the post was 7 days old.

Anyway, taking the kiddos to the water park today. Will get it rolling tomorrow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Will get it rolling tomorrow.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In case you missed the original thread.

Well, this certainly took some doing.

In all, I've picked out 140 of the best moments from the theatrical versions of Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. They are presented here in 35 groups of 4, with each group named for a poster from BES's Lord of the Rings thread that he started in January 2020.

The groups were chosen with a random # generator. It's resulted in some groups that are top heavy and some that are not fantastic. Some groups have 4 entries from one movie even. But random seems a lot better than me trying to seed them all.

So the rules are pretty simple - vote for your favorite moment from each group. That equals 35 automatic qualifiers for a field of 64. The next 29 highest vote getters earn the 29 wild cards. They'll be seeded according to # of votes. The seeding won't be perfect but as we saw in the Marvel tournament with the same format, the cream inevitably rises to the top.

Take your time voting, there are a lot of groups. If you're just a casual fan, you're going to be on Wikipedia or YouTube a lot today. Around midnight I'll cap the voting and seed the tournament.

Thanks for participating.

VOTE HERE
tallgrant
AgStuckinLBK said:

MuckRaker96 said:

There are actually 3 Lord of the Rings board games that stand out as excellent:
Lord of the Rings is one of the early cooperative titles, and was designed my Reiner Knizia. It can be a bit dry, but the artwork is by John Howe and a lot of the favorites are there.

Reiner also designed Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, which will feel very similar to stratego in the hidden pieces aspect. But a nice little title that evokes the Tolkien theme well.

War of the Ring is a beast to learn, but in my opinion the best Tolkien/gaming marriage out there. If you want to feel that you hold the balance of Middle Earth in the palm of your hand this is the one.
DVC2010
AG
tallgrant said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

MuckRaker96 said:

There are actually 3 Lord of the Rings board games that stand out as excellent:
Lord of the Rings is one of the early cooperative titles, and was designed my Reiner Knizia. It can be a bit dry, but the artwork is by John Howe and a lot of the favorites are there.

Reiner also designed Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, which will feel very similar to stratego in the hidden pieces aspect. But a nice little title that evokes the Tolkien theme well.

War of the Ring is a beast to learn, but in my opinion the best Tolkien/gaming marriage out there. If you want to feel that you hold the balance of Middle Earth in the palm of your hand this is the one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone play Lord of the Rings Online?

I was obsessed for a solid year or two. Better game than WoW, in my opinion.
Ulrich
Well. I know what I'm doing this weekend. Can't read through all that and NOT marathon Lord of the Rings. Soundtrack will be played while I work on Friday to get in the mood.
Ulrich
Also, Theoden only has a handful of lines, but most of them are great moments and several are in my short list of all time favorite movie quotes.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone play Lord of the Rings Online?

I was obsessed for a solid year or two. Better game than WoW, in my opinion.
I played Star Wars Galaxies for 2-3 years pretty much everyday. What I wanted it to be vs. what is was made me quit and I've never gotten into another MMORPG.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yep, SWG was terrible
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Yep, SWG was terrible
I got banned for 72 hours from SWG for using my merchant character to rename bits of junk into things like "Fragment of Death Star" and "Mace Windu's lightsaber casing" and listing them on my vendors for upwards of 10+ million credits.
Legal Custodian
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

In all, I've picked out 140 of the best moments from the theatrical versions of Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. They are presented here in 35 groups of 4, with each group named for a poster from BES's Lord of the Rings thread that he started in January 2020.

The groups were chosen with a random # generator. It's resulted in some groups that are top heavy and some that are not fantastic. Some groups have 4 entries from one movie even. But random seems a lot better than me trying to seed them all.

So the rules are pretty simple - vote for your favorite moment from each group. That equals 35 automatic qualifiers for a field of 64. The next 29 highest vote getters earn the 29 wild cards. They'll be seeded according to # of votes. The seeding won't be perfect but as we saw in the Marvel tournament with the same format, the cream inevitably rises to the top.

Take your time voting, there are a lot of groups. If you're just a casual fan, you're going to be on Wikipedia or YouTube a lot today. Around midnight I'll cap the voting and seed the tournament.

VOTE HERE
Awesome! Can't wait for the one you do for The Best Hobbit Trilogy Moments!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DVC2010
AG
Legal Custodian said:

MuckRaker96 said:

VOTE HERE
Awesome! Can't wait for the one you do for The Best Hobbit Trilogy Moments!

******MOST TOLERABLE THE HOBBIT MOMENTS******
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If you're like me and have seen the trilogy countless times, I always get a kick out of seeing people watch them for the first time.

Here's one of the more entertaining ones I've seen.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If you're like me and have seen the trilogy countless times, I always get a kick out of seeing people watch them for the first time.

Here's one of the more entertaining ones I've seen.

How long before you slide into her DMs?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Should my opener be...

"Anyone told you you look like Rosie Cotton? Well say hello to your Samwise."
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
I played for a year or two bavk around 2010 when it went Free to play. Only mmorpg that I've played. Fantastic game but job and girlfriend and wife and kids got in the way. I really wish I could go back and play now with the mounted combat.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ponda Baba's arm?
West Texan
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

girlfriend and wife and kids

That's a lot to juggle

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.