***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

192,979 Views | 1917 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Faustus
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
C@LAg said:

at least one of our own who posts on Texags is working on this project.

He went through the Viz program at A&M, and also happens to have been my roommate for a year and a half.

Holy ***** Beans?
The Porkchop Express
C@LAg said:

Solo Tetherball Champ said:

C@LAg said:

at least one of our own who posts on Texags is working on this project.

He went through the Viz program at A&M, and also happens to have been my roommate for a year and a half.

Interesting... I don't suppose you could put him in contact with me and some of my internet pals...

Long story short, there's a group online called fellowship of fans. The group has managed to break about 80% of what is known about the production. I'm a member; I'm the guy known as penguin.

If this guy is willing to risk the wrath of Mordor Amazon and talk, we could probably piece more of this show together.
he has specifically not posted on this thread because he does not want to give any impressions/information one way or the other in regards to the production and risk his job and reputation.

he has said he will have more leeway to discuss things once the first season is out and he can address specifics at that point.
Rule 1 of TexAgs entertainment board states that if you work on a project you need to tell about it so we can all geek out.

C@LAg
helloimustbegoing said:

Rule 1 of TexAgs entertainment board states that if you work on a project you need to tell about it so we can all geek out.

if I recall correctly, back in the day A&M represented itself decently at both ILM and Digital Domain

no idea what that looks like today.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just wait and watch the show, dude.
Why? This has been a fun way to pass the time prior to its release

Learning about what Amazon is doing behind the scenes has been a lot of fun. Not that we know a lot; 90% of what we've learned has come from leaks on Numenor sets, with little on dwarves and less on the elves. We know those sets exist (I've seen pics of Moria, for example), but what has been filmed there is a mystery. But many things are a complete mystery: we heard nothing about Hobbits in the show until that news broke elsewhere.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I like the mystery and knowing as little as possible. Frees up discussions and theories too since you don't know any details.

Matter of taste I suppose.

But I do think insider info and leaks should be marked as spoilers for those of us who want to remain that way.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I like the mystery and knowing as little as possible. Frees up discussions and theories too since you don't know any details.

But I do think insider info and leaks should be marked as spoilers for those of us who want to remain that way.
Someone make these threads, post-haste!

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for people who have read the books, but not seen any of the movies

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for people who have read the books and watched the LOTR trilogy

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for people who have read the books, missed the LOTR trilogy, but watched the Hobbit trilogy

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for people who read the Hobbit, read LOTR, but haven't seen the movies

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for people who have only read the Simarillion

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for people who have only seen the animated versions of The Hobbit and LOTR from the 1970s

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for people who have only heard Leonard Nimoy's song about Bilbo Baggins

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for people who get hobbits confused with gnomes

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for TCTTS, who I can only assume has not read the Hobbit novel because it only came out 85 years ago and he's getting around to it.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Can do.

The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll wait for TCTTS' response.
Ulrich
helloimustbegoing said:

Lord of the RIngs Amazon Series: Spoiler Thread for people who get hobbits confused with gnomes

In LOTR, the proper race to confuse with gnomes is the Noldor.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Just started a rewatch of the trilogy. Ian McKellen so perfectly embodies the role of Gandalf. Not sure how anyone could follow his act.

…and Merry and Pippin are such bumbling re-tards. Absolutely cringeworthy. They rival Jar Jar Binks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What? I love Merry and Pippen.

This alone is perfection.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well these are just annoying. I thought they were all cut off.

Character posters, no faces:

https://www.ign.com/articles/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-character-posters-amazon
AgfromHOU
AG
Any chance the black knight looking person is Sauron?
chase128
AG
Maybe, but I hope they have Sauron as his alter-ego Annatar in this series. Having him as Annatar for part of it, only to reveal who he actually is later on after deceiving the Elves of Eregion, I think would be fantastic.
The Porkchop Express
Amazon is doing about as good a job promoting this series as Disney did promoting Solo
chase128
AG
Is one of those posters showing a sword with a broken blade?
Solo Tetherball Champ
AgfromHOU said:

Any chance the black knight looking person is Sauron?
I don't think so.

There are rumors and set reports that Joseph Mawle plays the main villain of S1, who is an original orc of sorts.

Additionally, there are other rumors that Sauron does not appear in the first season either.

Of course, Sauron does adopt a very different identity for long stretches of the Second Age. This is the setting he gains the moniker "The Deceiver"....

Al Bula
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Just started a rewatch of the trilogy. Ian McKellen so perfectly embodies the role of Gandalf. Not sure how anyone could follow his act.

…and Merry and Pippin are such bumbling re-tards. Absolutely cringeworthy. They rival Jar Jar Binks.
ill add that JRD's comedic relief is borderline cringey 20 years later.
The Porkchop Express
Easy, Rod said:

Corporal Punishment said:

ill add that JRD's comedic relief is borderline cringey 20 years later.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Apparently a trailer is going to drop at the Super Bowl:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-trailer-date-super-bowl-1235088033/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Galadriel

Elrond

Full article: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/amazon-the-rings-of-power-series-first-look
wangus12
AG
My body is ready
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just finished the article.

Call me an optimist, but it really seems like these guys get it. They get the love and adoration for this world, and are fans themselves.

I think we're in for a treat in September.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Elrond

Elrond looks like DiCaprio and Wyatt from Ozark had a baby together.
wangus12
AG
I wish Amazon had gone this direction with the color and design for WOT. These photos alone look so much better in appearance.

My boy Ned Stark gonna be awesome
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Inventing a horde of new characters with 2020 US culture story arcs sounds…awful.

There are so many great 2nd Age characters in the source material. Why create a bunch of new ones?
PatAg
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Inventing a horde of new characters with 2020 US culture story arcs sounds…awful.

There are so many great 2nd Age characters in the source material. Why create a bunch of new ones?
I think they just meant, there is no real reason for every character to be white. Some groups of people probably should be, just based on description.

Im just more worried about new characters/stories in general, because thats where it is most likely to fall short. That and I'm not really sure there is a place for sex scenes in Lord of the Rings shows/movies.

They seem to understand the source material, and the visuals look great, so I'm cautiously excited.
chase128
AG
The pictures of the elf with the buzz haircut look weird. It's like they took a person and just stuck pointy ears on them and said "here's an elf!".

Is the big woman supposed to be a dwarf woman?
Al Bula
AG
Yeah, no thanks to this garbage:
Quote:

Amazon's series will also broaden the notion of who shares the world of Middle-earth. One original story line centers on a silvan elf named Arondir, played by Ismael Cruz Crdova, who will be the first person of color to play an elf onscreen in a Tolkien project. He is involved in a forbidden relationship with Bronwyn, a human village healer played by Nazanin Boniadi, a British actor of Iranian heritage.

On the other hand, I am very curious what Moria and Lindon look like. Numenor too. Might be best to watch with the sound off and fast forwarding to geographic scenes.

I don't really care about Jeff Bezos financing Middle Earth fan fiction, which is exactly what this is.
chase128
AG
Considering how special and unique elf + human relationships were in Tolkien's work, I'm definitely put off by them doing a random new one in this show.
powerbelly
AG
Easy, Rod said:

Yeah, no thanks to this garbage:
Quote:

Amazon's series will also broaden the notion of who shares the world of Middle-earth. One original story line centers on a silvan elf named Arondir, played by Ismael Cruz Crdova, who will be the first person of color to play an elf onscreen in a Tolkien project. He is involved in a forbidden relationship with Bronwyn, a human village healer played by Nazanin Boniadi, a British actor of Iranian heritage.

On the other hand, I am very curious what Moria and Lindon look like. Numenor too. Might be best to watch with the sound off and fast forwarding to geographic scenes.

I don't really care about Jeff Bezos financing Middle Earth fan fiction, which is exactly what this is.
So much source material already there and we get a dumbass rom-com story line.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Beren and Luthien could be a miniseries all on its own. And would be immensely popular.
chase128
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Beren and Luthien could be a miniseries all on its own. And would be immensely popular.

This x10000000
Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just finished the article.

Call me an optimist, but it really seems like these guys get it. They get the love and adoration for this world, and are fans themselves.

I think we're in for a treat in September.

Funny: I had the complete opposite take.

This is going to be a generic high fantasy narrative with middle-earth window-dressing on it.

Granted, I've been in the loop on leaks so I had long known about this, but the article has confirmed that Amazon has done nearly everything I was hoping they wouldn't do.
powerbelly
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.