*** THE FANTASTIC FOUR ***

29,453 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
AGSPORTSFAN07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

JeremyJahns lights this movie up on fire...
fig96
AG
A few consolidated Twitter comments from a friend of mine who works in Hollywood and had some connections to the film:

quote:
I feel justified in my opinion on FF 6 months ago when I heard @jeffcannata 's gobsmacked reaction to it. I've never been more mad at a movie then watching the nu-FF a few months ago when we were going to work on it. How does an incredible property get made 3x in 10 years and they still don't get it close to right?
quote:
The nu-FF really made me appreciate the few parts that Tomorrowland got right. Nothing happens, it's tonally inconsistent, the villain appears in the last act out of nowhere, no chemistry amongst actors. That was the problem I had when we were trying to help. No one could tell us what the movie was supposed to be.
30_Days
AG
for kicks I looked at the score distribution for user ratings on IMDB

Looking at that I can only guess that a HUGE number of people are voting on this movie before they ever see it. There's probably thousands of people who've been comping at the bit to give it a 1 since the minute they cast Michael B. Jordan as the Human Torch.
BigRobSA
Just got back....I want my $8 back, and another $8 for mental anguish.

Holy crap that movie is bad. The whole movie just felt "forced", and I'm not one of these critics of plots and artsy crap like that, especially for comic book movies. Kate Mara in tights was the only good part.

For comparison, same theater was FULL for Antman. This one had maybe 15 to 20 people in it. And I almost always go on the first day around this time.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty interesting. EW chronicles (no pun intended) all the behind the scenes drama...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/07/fantastic-four-josh-trank-tweet
Redstone
AG
Are people really giving this a chance? Fanboys are notoriously protective of "their" comic properties, and they need to realize that times have changed. It's not just the election of the president, but a larger societal impact that can be seen, for example, in greater opportunities for a larger pool of actors. If Nick Fury's character can change, people shouldn't have a problem with the Torch, and his father.
AliasMan02
AG
F4 doesn't have a major following, despite its history. One of Marvel's weakest properties in terms of sales, I believe.
rhutton125
AG
None of the reviews I've read have mentioned the race change, aside from perhaps an opening paragraph detailing the first time the film made news.

If people don't give this movie a chance, it should be because of things like the RottenTomatoes blurbs like this:

quote:
This reboot is anything but fantastic. Don't waste your money on this.
quote:
Fantastic Four is Catwoman-level awful. It wastes a great cast and cool source material.
quote:
The end result is a patchwork monster that, by its third act, is almost painful to watch, even if everyone in Hollywood really should watch it as a cautionary tale.
quote:
I have nothing good to say about "Fantastic Four" --- so let's just leave it at that.

Or even from our own BigRobSA above:

quote:
I want my $8 back, and another $8 for mental anguish.

Holy crap that movie is bad.

At this point, I don't think anyone cares that Johnny is black. I didn't even care when it was announced - Wallace is awesome.
30_Days
AG
quote:
None of the reviews I've read have mentioned the race change, aside from perhaps an opening paragraph detailing the first time the film made news.

If people don't give this movie a chance, it should be because of things like the RottenTomatoes blurbs like this:

quote:
This reboot is anything but fantastic. Don't waste your money on this.
quote:
Fantastic Four is Catwoman-level awful. It wastes a great cast and cool source material.
quote:
The end result is a patchwork monster that, by its third act, is almost painful to watch, even if everyone in Hollywood really should watch it as a cautionary tale.
quote:
I have nothing good to say about "Fantastic Four" --- so let's just leave it at that.

Or even from our own BigRobSA above:

quote:
I want my $8 back, and another $8 for mental anguish.

Holy crap that movie is bad.

At this point, I don't think anyone cares that Johnny is black. I didn't even care when it was announced - Wallace is awesome.

you would be HUGELY wrong. Critics won't mention it because they're generally smarter than that, and I think probably most of them genuinely don't care. But a lot of "fans" have been pissed ever since the announcement. I've seen it on the IMDB forums, blu-ray.com, and several comic sites. I don't even want to know what Reddit and 4Chan made of it, they're both notoriously racist when it comes to movies.
AliasMan02
AG
That's a case of the loud minority, imo. I'd wager that about 1% of the target market cares one way or the other.
30_Days
AG
quote:
That's a case of the loud minority, imo. I'd wager that about 1% of the target market cares one way or the other.
I agree, I only meant that that loud minority is also the most likely to flood IMDB with bad ratings before ever watching the movie.
Redstone
AG
Good point 30. The bile that is being spewed about this film is just not acceptable. How many "reviews" were written before the release date? It's really been depressing to watch unfold in real time.
30_Days
AG
select quotes from the thread on blu-ray.com

quote:
Knew this movie would be trouble when they said human torch would be black.

quote:
Whoa, wait a second...they cast a black guy as Johnny Storm?

That doesn't make any sense, when the hell did that happen???

quote:
Also why is Johnny Storm black? Last time I checked he wasn't black.

quote:
I'm boycotting because of that black guy

there are the comments that were "tame" enough to not get deleted by the mods. There were a LOT more that got deleted and many even ended up in bans.
BigRobSA
Race has nothing to do with it. It is monumentally dumb to change the race of a character for no reason at all, but that didn't add anything to the overall suckiness of this movie. Claiming it does is just fodder for the weak-minded.

I went, against my better judgement, hoping the reviews and my general dislike of everything I had seen in the sh/tty trailers (which gave away most of the even remotely good/funny parts, as usual) would be proven wrong. They weren't.

Also, don't wait around (if you decide to throw money away at this piece of crap) for a credits scene. None.

fig96
AG
I get that some of you want this to be good, and there may very well be some negative reviews for some silly reasons.

But simple fact is it's looking like a pretty unanimous opinion that this is just not a good movie.
30_Days
AG
yeah, at this point I have no hope that it'll be an overall "good' movie. I'm just hoping for some good parts or elements, like Faraci points out.
BassCowboy33
I hope people don't try and use racism as an excuse for why this film failed. That's some Jesse Jackson level of spin.
30_Days
AG
quote:
I hope people don't try and use racism as an excuse for why this film failed. That's some Jesse Jackson level of spin.
I do'nt think anybody is making that argument. It's been pretty clear from early on that the racist vitriol was coming a very vocal minority of anti-PC "crusaders" and the typical MRA and gamergate crowds.
Redstone
AG
Of course racism is at play here. Just look at those excerpts 30 was kind enough to expose. Fanboys are not exactly known for their tolerance, and Jordan being a good actor is all that should matter. But some people always insist on bringing their personal hang ups into their entertainment consumption.

Look, I get it....it's just a comic book movie. But the ugly side of society is always seeping just below the surface. Let's be honest here.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Of course racism is at play here. Just look at those excerpts 30 was kind enough to expose. Fanboys are not exactly known for their tolerance, and Jordan being a good actor is all that should matter. But some people always insist on bringing their personal hang ups into their entertainment consumption.

Look, I get it....it's just a comic book movie. But the ugly side of society is always seeping just below the surface. Let's be honest here.

It's failing because it is a bad movie.
FaceMask
It has like a 10% rating....and Ben Grimm was molested? Wtf. ..
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:

It's failing because it is a bad movie.
oh come on. Nobody is saying it's failing ONLY because of racism. But you have to be blind or willfully obtuse to believe that racism isn't at least a tiny part of the hate thrown at the movie, especially before it ever even opened. Maybe it's only 5% of the reason, but it's dishonest to say race has "nothing to do with it."
Redstone
AG
The denial of systemic, historic, and deeply-rooted racial insensitivity pervasive in the enertainment industry and especially among fanboys reminds me of my time on campus. Sad. Fortunately times seems to be changing.
BigRobSA
The story being horrible and forced is what is causing the craptasticness of the results, not racism.

James Earl Jones or Laurence Olivier could have played Storm and it wouldn't have made a difference. Claiming "racism" is grasping at weak-minded straws when "bad movie" is more accurate and based upon real life.
30_Days
AG
quote:
The story being horrible and forced is what is causing the craptasticness of the results, not racism.

James Earl Jones or Laurence Olivier could have played Storm and it wouldn't have made a difference. Claiming "racism" is grasping at weak-minded straws when "bad movie" is more accurate and based upon real life.

So you are actually denying that there are people who made up their minds about this movie long before the first frame rolled in theaters because of MBJ? There's sticking your head in the sand, but your feet aren't even sticking out anymore.
BigRobSA
There definitely could be, and probably are. But not wanting to see the movie because they chose a black person to play a non-black character isn't even REMOTELY racism. That would be called "purist".

It was monumentally stupid to try and be PC by doing what they did. That being said, regardless of the melanin in "Johnny Storm"'s skin, the movie is terrihorribad. The only way it would have been worse is to have been directed by Del Toro.

Redstone
AG
Thanks for keeping it civil. This discussion is important, especially for educating those who continue to deny systemic racism.

What we really need is some way to quantify the impact upon box office of online racism, and hopefully eventually a national review board with some measure of disciplinary authority.
jeffk
AG
Redstone expanding his trolling repertoire.
Scotty Appleton
Completely agree. Any movie destined for BET based on at least 1 of the 5 major characters being black should start off at no less than 65% on RT.

I propose that Straight Out of Compton be awarded Best Picture in order to address this obviously racially motivated panning.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

So you are actually denying that there are people who made up their minds about this movie long before the first frame rolled in theaters because of MBJ? There's sticking your head in the sand, but your feet aren't even sticking out anymore.

I'll make the claim that no matter what movie it is, if it's rooted in comics and/or fanboy material, a certain percentage of fans will hate in it early and often. If Storm was white, it would have been something else impacting the early buzz. Leather uniforms for X-Men. Organic web shooters for Spider-Man. Superman removing the "American way" from the credo. Whatever. A small percentage yell about something and create discord in the fan community. Racist comments about Storm impacts it no differently overall than anything else.
65532ag
I can't lie that I am a fan in general of the fantastic four. I wasn't excited about the reboot or a fan of the casting and really didn't have plans to see this until it came out on Blu-ray. However these reviews are so bad that I might just have to see this **** show for myself asap.
aggiepaintrain
AG
My 14 year old son said it sucked.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
What we really need is some way to quantify the impact upon box office of online racism, and hopefully eventually a national review board with some measure of disciplinary authority.
BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, f*** off.
Redstone
AG
I've noticed that my comments tend to not receive their stars....if a moderator could alert Brandon, or the webmaster, this would be appreciated.
Thanks.
fig96
AG
Your posts stopped being even a bit entertaining a long time ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.