*** THE FANTASTIC FOUR ***

29,465 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely not for Phase 3, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had a "Fantastic Four plan B" in their back pocket for Phase 4. They had a "with Spider-Man" and "without Spider-Man" Phase 3 plan, after all.

I don't think Marvel would rush to produce their own Fantastic Four movie, but they could at least do something with the universe at their own pace. Maybe not introduce FF yet (and when they did, hopefully not the typical straight-up action movie), but they could use various villains or characters or concepts. Maybe sprinkle in a few characters here and there into the established MCU... a doctor Reed Richards before he goes stretchy, for example.

I don't know. Just let's not do a 2023 Fox reboot, please..
rhutton125
AG
I've read a few comments / reviews that seemed to think that there was at least the skeleton of a quality F4 film in there somewhere. A decent take, up until the third act when it falls apart. I'd like to believe that there's still the possibility where Stretchy-Man can work in a way that's cool and not embarrassing.

Personally, I'm more tired of weak-ass Doctor Dooms.
AliasMan02
AG
I was thinking the other day about the "stretchy" problem and think I have a solution.

Just change his powers. Seriously, keep the rest of the team the same and just make Reed some sort of powers of insight/intelligence. Give him sort of Second Sight that helps him solve problems and gives him an edge in combat when he ever actually engages in a brawl.

F4 may be tired, but the real insurmountable problem here is Reed, right?
Aggie94
AG
30_Days

I disagree with several points you make (I've got an earlier post that addresses one or two points, so I'm not going to address the powers thing again).

Josh Trank had one movie under his belt, so I don't know how much "top talent" enters into it, particularly hearing how much of a cluster the shooting of this film actually was. The cast, certainly, was chock-full of talent but without a real vision, well, F4 is showing what that gets you.

Sure, the X-Men movies are entertaining, but it took a reboot and a talented director/writer combination to get them there. Even so, continuity issues still abound, to say nothing about the fact that this new "First Class" series has yet to bring the X-Men to 2015. They're more homages to decades. And beyond these past two X-Men movies, Fox's track record isn't all that great, if not abysmal (Wolverine: Origins; Ghost Rider; Daredevil; Elektra).

Saying "Marvel could do it" is a logical argument right now. They made Ant-Man a hit. They made GotG a hit. They have yet to give any evidence that they couldn't take any hero and make it a hit (hell, I'm waiting for Brother Voodoo to get greenlit by now).

And "four movies"? The first one wasn't a serious effort - it wasn't even shown in theaters. It was used to hold the rights. C'mon.

30_Days
AG
I think Dr. Doom is just as big a problem. His powers and his motivations are just too generic. This is likely a fault of it being such an old character. When you're that early in the history of comic books you don't have to be particularly complex or interesting, because there's very little to compare to. The same goes for the F4 themselves, at their core it's just very well developed.
R0GUE
AG
http://nerdist.com/nerdist-presents-what-happened-to-the-thing-dick-in-fantastic-four/
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I'm just thinking that the Silver Surfer could work really well in the GotG movies.
I had an image in my head of the Guardians teaming up with Captain Marvel and the former herald of Galactus, Silver Surfer, to try and stop current herald Terrax from summoning his master to come devour the homeworld of Drax and it put the biggest grin on my face.....

That would be Marvel's version of the Avengers in Space.
dmart90
AG
The bad reviews for the Fantastic 4 movie make me sad - one of my favorite comics of all time.
InternetFan02
AG
Now at 9% rotten tomatoes --- Sandler zone
Bruce Almighty
AG
This is like Catwoman and Batman and Robin bad.
30_Days
AG
quote:
This is like Catwoman and Batman and Robin bad.
reviews yes, but there's no way the movie itself is actually as bad as those. Comic book movie expectations were WAY WAY lower when both of those came out, and they still tanked. Those movies ended careers, or at least set them WAY back. I don't see this movie doing that to anybody. Maybe Trank, but more likely he'll be able to pin it on meddling producers, since a lot of people seem to like the first 2/3 of the movie, which are more distinctively his.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Wow. The director is trashing his own movie BEFORE it was even released in theaters. If that doesn't scare off people from seeing this movie this weekend, I don't know what will.

And this will pretty much derail Trank's career now. Star Wars spinoff? Not a chance in hell now.

30_Days
AG
I doubt Trank gives two ****s about getting another big studio movie after this debacle. If anything his experience here has put him off it entirely.

Fortunately there will plenty of opportunities for him to make good sci-fi at a lower budget with more creative control.

And maybe some day we'll get a good director's cut of the movie and actually see what his vision for the film was.
fig96
AG
He might even be right, but based on the behavior he's rumored to have exhibited on set he won't be directing anything else with a sizable budget anytime soon.
30_Days
AG
if even half of the rumors from the set are true, i don't see why he'd want to
fig96
AG
It doesn't sound like it was a great situation, but if even a small portion of the rumors of his behavior are true it doesn't sound like he handled it well (and that's putting it mildly).
Simplebay
AG
Damn the implosion is happening

I REALLY buy the first 2/3 being awesome sci Fi, then Fox changing the 3rd act. Then pissing and moaning btwn director and studio didn't get it back on track.

I have a feeling I'll think this movie is decent because I am going in with TERRIBLE expectations, and am a suckee for cool sci fi
AggieLitigator
Are yall going to keep being women and referencing rumors or just say what the hell you've heard
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Are yall going to keep being women and referencing rumors or just say what the hell you've heard

He became really erratic on set and extremely difficult to deal with. He would no-show often and caused $100,000 dollars in damage to the house they rented for him because of "his dogs"

A guy on TigerDroppings of all places said he was always high as a kite which is pretty much what all the articles allude to without flat out saying it.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Did-Fantastic-Four-Director-Really-Go-Off-Crew-Destroy-Production-House-69164.html
fig96
AG
quote:

It was actually touched on a bit earlier in the thread, extensively in other threads on the board, or a quick google turns up literally dozens of articles.
rhutton125
AG
Box office estimates are that this will easily open #1, but I'm hoping Mission Impossible somehow sticks around. I'm seeing it on Sunday, at least.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Box office estimates are that this will easily open #1
No ****ing way it ends up as #1 on the weekend once word of mouth gets out about it if it is truly as bad as the reviews make it out to be.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
No ****ing way it ends up as #1 on the weekend.
i think you overestimate how much people pay attention to reviews. Bad reviews may cut a little off the top, but it'll probably still bank pretty well.

reviews are more likely to kill week 2 box office and beyond than opening weekend.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I went back and added more. Reviews are a part of it, but word of mouth will count some too.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
No ****ing way it ends up as #1 on the weekend.
i think you overestimate how much people pay attention to reviews. Bad reviews may cut a little off the top, but it'll probably still bank pretty well.

reviews are more likely to kill week 2 box office and beyond than opening weekend.
I'd tend to agree. Transformers 4 was at 18% on RT, though granted that was a wider market appeal kind of film.
rhutton125
AG
I think some of it is based on number of theaters shown at, too
30_Days
AG
quote:
well it's being shown at 4,000 theaters, so it should be ok
MGS
quote:
quote:
No ****ing way it ends up as #1 on the weekend once word of mouth gets out about it if it is truly as bad as the reviews make it out to be.
My guess is that the overwhelming positive word of mouth about Mission Impossible will keep FF from opening #1
scubasteve304
AG
Saw it last night. The RT number is kinda misleading I think in that it's not god awful recent Sandler territory. It's just consistently meh meh meh and then holy crap this third act sucks, universally with all the critics. Not that it's good either. I for sure didn't like it and I usually like EVERYTHING.

The Faraci review was pretty close for me. The first 2/3 has the bones of a solid sci fi flick but still also doesn't really get you going. It's so much setup and origin that isn't particularly bad but is never really all that exceptional. Bell doesnt get to do much and Mara has zero chemistry with anyone. And then the third act is just a complete mess. Just awful, uninspired, not satisfying action and just seems like a completely different movie. Kinda reminds me of Boyle's Sunshine in that the ending just switches in tone and feels out of place.

Pros? Umm...Kate Mara looks good in skintight uniforms and Black Torch was pretty charming? Other than that I got nothing.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'd tend to agree. Transformers 4 was at 18% on RT, though granted that was a wider market appeal kind of film.

Eh, Tranformers 4 actually knew what it wanted to be though: an off the wall insane action film with lots of explosions. The audience reviews (which are 34% btw, with ratings as low as 1/2 a star or no star) are equally as bad on RT.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

Eh, Tranformers 4 actually knew what it wanted to be though: an off the wall insane action film with lots of explosions. The audience reviews (which are 34% btw, with ratings as low as 1/2 a star or no star) are equally as bad on RT.
No argument, with a Transformers film you know exactly what you're getting.

And it still made a billion dollars. (At least most of that was foreign box office.)
rhutton125
AG
quote:
quote:
That's my point - sadly, Fantastic Four will do ok. At least the first weekend.

$130 million budget though... I guess we'll see how it does.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
That's my point - sadly, Fantastic Four will do ok. At least the first weekend.

$130 million budget though... I guess we'll see how it does.
why is that sad?

I've never understood the logic behind people WANTING a movie to fail. If you don't like it, don't see it. No need to hope that something that thousands of people put time and effort into does poorly just because it didn't tickle your fancy.
rhutton125
AG
Normally I'd agree 100%. My hope for this franchise, however, is that it ends back in the hands of the Marvel studios one way or another. I think that would be best for the characters and the Marvel universe as a whole.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Well, the box office projections for M:I were only $40 million and it ended up with $55 million, so they could be off substantially with their $45 million projection for FF this weekend (and not in a good way).

Personally, I don't see this movie making over $30 million and if M:I's overwhelming word of mouth keeps up, I can see it making over $30 million to keep it at the top. I saw it last night, and it's outstanding btw.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.