*** THE FANTASTIC FOUR ***

29,470 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
AMW2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And now Iceman is gay.... Seriously wtf... He has a girlfriend every time we've ever seen him...
PatAg
AG
That's not the best defense.
hurleyag
AG
[url=<blockquote][/url][url=<blockquote][/url]

AboveAndBeyond
quote:
I mean it has nothkng to do with color... To me I like my characters to resemble to comics... White torch, spider man as a black guy, captain America is
ack and Thor the GOD of lightning is a WOMEN?!? What's next a white black panther? And what pisses me off is male models on the price is right!

The only character that I don't mind being black is Nick Fury, he was white in the comics, but I was not familiar with him until his character came to tv, and now I can't see him any other way

Except all of these are true now...... Secret Wars 2099 has the female cap.....
AboveAndBeyond
I had a theory that I've wanted to throw at someone, you guys could help.

There are TONS of F4 stories that they could use that involve the Avengers. Heck the infinity wars included The Silver Surfer as a main character. With the original F4 with Alba, they couldn't use these stories. The actors would be old. You'd have Cap and Torch as the same person...awkward. With this reboot they can go any route they want! Young actors could still be used years down the road when needed.

Anyone else agree, or is my nerdy side showing...
Sex Panther
AG
I cant find any reason to care about this movie or the Fantastic 4
rhutton125
AG
I think I'm setting my expectations at around a 50% RT score. 60+ and I'll probably go see it. 70% and above and I'll be quite pleased.

It just doesn't look like it will be anything to write home about... but I hope I'm wrong!
double aught
AG
quote:
I had a theory that I've wanted to throw at someone, you guys could help.

There are TONS of F4 stories that they could use that involve the Avengers. Heck the infinity wars included The Silver Surfer as a main character. With the original F4 with Alba, they couldn't use these stories. The actors would be old. You'd have Cap and Torch as the same person...awkward. With this reboot they can go any route they want! Young actors could still be used years down the road when needed.

Anyone else agree, or is my nerdy side showing...
I'd be happy to agree....if I knew what I was agreeing with.
rhutton125
AG
As long as Fox has the rights to Fantastic Four, they won't be appearing alongside any Avengers. And as long as the Fantastic Four movies are any kind of success, I imagine Fox won't feel the pressure to work out a deal with Marvel like Sony did with Spider-Man. Why give up your rights if you don't need to? That kind of thing.

Then again, Spider-Man made money, just not as much as Sony was counting on. I doubt the Fantastic Four films make $700 million internationally, but we'll see.
AboveAndBeyond
^^^^^ that.

What if F4 was rebooting in order to sell the rights to the MCU? As it was, the MCU couldn't use F4 because of Cap and Torch were the same person.

Reboot, sell, we see F4 in Infinity Wars.....or at least Silver Surfer.
AboveAndBeyond
This is what I was talking about. They could never do this with the original F4.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/464695-x-men-and-fantastic-four-crossover-movie-teased-by-bryan-singer#/slide/1
Aggie94
AG
An X-Men/F4 crossover is putting the cart MILES ahead of the horse, as the article suggests. F4 has "turd" all over it.
BigRobSA
quote:
An X-Men/F4 crossover is putting the cart MILES ahead of the horse, as the article suggests. F4 has "turd" all over it.
Calling it now: a black wolverine.

AboveAndBeyond
We already have black Spiderman. Maybe transgender Wolverine?
BigRobSA
quote:
Couldn't have a tran-Wolverine. A certain something would heal closed after surgery.
MGS
He's from Canada, they'll probably do an Eskimo Wolverine
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
Calling it now: a black wolverine.

A canadian Canadian?

R0GUE
AG
quote:
You mean X-23?

To be fair she's actually a clone.
rhutton125
AG
So, this movie quietly comes out in 3 days. Reviews will go live tomorrow, I believe.

Here's an extended look for anyone curious - it's mostly the same footage we've seen before but probably the best look yet:

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/8/3/check-out-an-extended-sneak-peek-for-fantastic-four
Bruce Almighty
AG
Generally a bad sign that the reviews are going to stink.
jackie childs
quote:
So, this movie quietly comes out in 3 days. Reviews will go live tomorrow, I believe.

Here's an extended look for anyone curious - it's mostly the same footage we've seen before but probably the best look yet:

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/8/3/check-out-an-extended-sneak-peek-for-fantastic-four
last 30 seconds or so make it worth it
Redstone
AG
The demographic profiles of the actors better not hurt box office. What's the best way to monitor this?
rhutton125
AG
No clue. My guess as to what might hurt this movie in the box office would be 1) zero buzz whatsoever, 2) we've seen these characters before, 3) pretty boring powers, which is mostly compounded by #2. There was some "controversy" but I don't feel like having a black character is at all a detriment to the film's projections.

I'd put more stock in the way that this isn't an anticipated film or set of characters. ComicCon had a lot of things fans had been hoping to see - Batman and Superman facing off for the first time on film, a unique lineup for the Suicide Squad, a reveal of Apocalypse (who is my favorite villain). Meanwhile, Captain America and Iron Man are going to split the Avengers in half. ..........Oh, and there's a Fantastic Four remake.

But that's just my two cents. If the only thing a casual viewer heard was that this film was changing things just to change things (a la Johnny Storm), perhaps it could turn them off. But if it had good reviews to build some buzz like Mad Max or Mission Impossible did, I think people would be quick to forget that.

As it stands, we're 3 days away from the premiere and I have no clue if this movie is going to bomb or what.
Redstone
AG
Yes it is frustrating. Just as Hollywood is starting to take diversity more seriously, we see this kind of stuff.
rhutton125
AG
Now on the plus side, black superheroes are actually somewhat common in comic book movies. In the MCU, Falcon and War Machine are poised for more prominent roles (hopefully). Falcon in particular should be all over the next Captain America film. There's also Nick Fury. Black Panther will appear in Civil War and have his own solo film in 2018. Zoe Saldana was in Guardians (though with green skin).

Elsewhere, Halle Berry's Storm has appeared in 4 X-Men films to date, with the character set to appear a fifth time with a different actress in X-Men: Apocalypse. Bishop was in Days of Future Past, though unfortunately not as much as I wanted (moar Bishop!). And lest we forget, Halle Berry was the lead in 2004's smash hit, Catwoman!

Add Johnny Storm to that mix and you can see quite a few African or African American characters in comic book films. It hasn't often been front and center, though hopefully with 2018's Black Panther, the perception will change a bit.

Now, if you're wondering about Asian or Latino, that would be a short list. Um.......hm. Does Dave Bautista count?
Redstone
AG
Both the industry and the fans have a lot to atone for. Hopefully the trends you cited will increase.
tamusc
AG
quote:
Both the industry and the fans have a lot to atone for. Hopefully the trends you cited will increase.
I could see you talking about the industry, but what do fans have to atone for?
tamusc
AG
And yes, the teaser at the end was worth it!
AliasMan02
AG
I see the F4 marketing as the opposite of the marketing for Deadpool. These are both films that might fail spectacularly (for different reasons), but Deadpool knows exactly what it is. It will live or die on its own merits and flaws.

What is F4? Is it a pure superhero flick? Some of the trailers push it as a sort of broody military film. Is it hard sci fi? I have no idea what the tone and theme of the movie will be. That will hurt it.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

As a comic book fan, I can say that the stereotype of the intolerant comic book fan is a real thing. It's more a misogynistic thing than racial usually, but still exists. It's not NEARLY as bad as it once was, though
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

As a comic book fan, I can say that the stereotype of the intolerant comic book fan is a real thing. It's more a misogynistic thing than racial usually, but still exists. It's not NEARLY as bad as it once was, though
I do agree that there is a definite misogynist attitude among some comic books fans, Just look at the art in some of the comics themselves that pander to the fans, of course that makes some sense when you look at what many people consider the typical comic book fan: socially introverted males who are terrified of interactions with women.

Heck, to many people, this isn't far off what they think of when they imagine a comic book fan:

On the racial front, comics have been ahead of society as a whole and if you consider that misogynistic art in comics is a reflection of what fans want, then fans are apparently ahead of the general public on racial diversity. I know there were complaints about changing Johnny's race for this movie, but pretty much everything I saw was that people were against a change that wasn't anywhere in the comics that many saw as pandering. Personally, I don't care about the change because I have no real attachment to the character and think that Michael B. Jordan is a good actor.
fig96
AG
This movie will do well because it's good or simply because it's being heavily marketed, or fail because it looks kind of awful, not much to do with race either way.

Redstone is known for being more than a bit of a troll on here, FYI.
tamusc
AG
quote:
This movie will do well because it's good or simply because it's being heavily marketed, or fail because it looks kind of awful, not much to do with race either way.

I know he is and yet I still took the bait, didn't I?
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

Well, in your defense I think there's an interesting discussion to be had on this topic. He's probably just not the one to have it with
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, in your defense I think there's an interesting discussion to be had on this topic. He's probably just not the one to have it with

Haha, true enough. I agree that it is an interesting topic. I think you see some of the same issues in what the whole gamergate thing morphed into.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.