*** THE FANTASTIC FOUR ***

29,438 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In reaction to all the (overblown) negative press coming this movie's way, Collider just posted an extensive, exclusive interview with the reboot's director and producer (Josh Trank and Simon Kinberg, respectively), and I have to say, this actually instills a lot confidence in what they're attempting to do. Granted, that's the whole point of this kind of controlled response, but still, the reveal that they're aiming for something more Cronenberg-esque - something akin to The Fly - has me pretty fired up. If this plays more like a cool, creepy sci-fi film and less like a tired, generic superhero reboot, I'm all in.

Collider also provides us with our first look at Michael B. Jordan in costume as The Human Torch, which I really dig as well. All things considered, it looks more real-life functional (those are apparently heating vents) than overdesigned superhero costume. That said, there are apparently two iterations of costumes, with the team getting their "final" versions toward the end. My guess is this is one of the initial, more rudimentary suits, though it's hard to tell. For more on the potential look of Reed Richards and The Thing, check out this video (which debuted today, but before this reveal).

Anyway, with the first official trailer hitting in a couple of weeks, I figured we might as well get an official thread going.

From 20th Century Fox, The Fantastic Four hits theaters in 2D and 3D on August 7.

Malachi Constant
AG
Optimism...
toucan82
can't be much worse than Rise of the Silver Surfer
TCTTS
AG
Well this is interesting...

John Campea @johncampea
The Fanstastic Four trailer drops tomorrow.

If anyone happened to see the AMC Movie Talk episode that mentioned The Projection List, Campea is the host, and a pretty credible, in-the-know guy. If true, this would put the online debut well over two weeks ahead of when the trailer is supposed to debut in theaters with Kingsman: The Secret Service. Guess we'll know for sure soon...
TCTTS
AG
John Campea @johncampea
And no, I'm not joking. #FANTASTIC FOUR trailer will be online tomorrow morning.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I guess we'll get our first look and see if thing looks as bad as people are expecting, or turns out to look good. Trailer doesn't mean much but at it least it'll give us something to look at.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Trailer has dropped

Have to say, not what I was expecting, but I'm not really sure what to make of it. Also not a huge fan of the logo, not that it's a big deal, just an observation.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Meh, nothing to really excite me or discourage me.

But, yeah, the logo. A "4" inside of a square instead of a circle. Not a big deal, but why change it?

Just to be different? Just to distance itself from previous iterations? Just to say "this isn't your father's Fantastic Four, this is the 2015 version. Yeah!"? To me it reinforces the notion they went with a black Johnny Storm for the same reason - to be "edgy" and hip and say "Hey, this version is different and cool!".
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Don't know about y'all, but that teaser did nothing for me.
jackie childs
i actually kinda liked the trailer. it feels more like a sci-fi flick that happens to be based on a comic than simply a comic book movie. that obviously won't resonate with the die hard comic book fans, but i think it works.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Don't know about y'all, but that teaser did nothing for me.
Same.
BigRobSA
quote:
Meh, nothing to really excite me or discourage me.

But, yeah, the logo. A "4" inside of a square instead of a circle. Not a big deal, but why change it?

Just to be different? Just to distance itself from previous iterations? Just to say "this isn't your father's Fantastic Four, this is the 2015 version. Yeah!"? To me it reinforces the notion they went with a black Johnny Storm for the same reason - to be "edgy" and hip and say "Hey, this version is different and cool!".
Yep. Springs on Mr. Fantastic's uniform? Vents on black Storm's? LOLOLOL!

This looks pretty bad, in general. No wonder it's taken so long to get even a slice of a tease.
BigRobSA
quote:
i actually kinda liked the trailer. it feels more like a sci-fi flick that happens to be based on a comic than simply a comic book movie. that obviously won't resonate with the die hard comic book fans, but i think it works.
I'm not even remotely close to being a "die hard comic book fan". Only read a couple of X-men comics in the 80's, but I've seen a lot of the different iterations of comic book cartoons over the decades. This just seems like it's trying to be overly "hip" and "cool", and in doing so it's lost what made FF, FF.
COOL LASER FALCON
Looks really good (I mean, just visually looks good) but I didn't get any confidence that it's going to be anything different.
benMath08
AG
I actually liked the trailer. Then I again I was expecting to see something on the order of Battlefield Earth or Gigli.
Silvertaps
AG
Looks just as hoakie and teenie-bopish as the first version. Pass.
wangus12
AG
I never saw the ones that came out 10 years ago. Will wait and see if I see these.
R0GUE
AG
The trailer has given me optimism. Much better than I was thinking it would look like from all the rumors.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I had to watch it a few times and I still can't remember a single line of dialogue from that narration. It's so utterly bland and generic "sci-fi" that its pretty much just white noise. Seriously, it's like a dozen lines of dialogue that says nothing. Nothing. This could be the trailer narration for an Asylum knock-off flick.

There is a quick glimpse of the group from the back at the end of the trailer. Except for seeing the back of Ben Grimm, there is nothing else in this entire preview that even remotely says "Fantastic Four."

This isn't a trainwreck preview.....it's just utterly bland and lifeless. It doesn't look like the bad movie I was expecting....just very unremarkable.

"Be ready for what's coming."
"What's coming?"
"The answers."

Oooooooookay.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I think if that movie wasn't called Fantastic 4 and I knew it wasn't about them, I'd be much more excited by it.

Let's face it, in a world where Avengers 2, XMen Apocalypse, Star Wars 7, GOTG 2, Thor III, Civil War, Batman v. Superman and probably 50 others are coming out in the next few years, a C-lister like FF4 is going to be the next Green Lantern - do OK opening weekend and then flame out (pun intended).
jr15aggie
AG
I thought the trailer was fine, but I'm sure (given the negative press) the trailer and/or movie will never get a fair shake from the nerds. Not to mention, I think we have hit a peak saturation of super hero movies.

By the time this movie launches I will have seen Avengers 2 and not care... that and I'll just be ready for Star Wars at that point!!!

fig96
AG
Boy, that looks...serious. Though I actually like the title treatment.

It does seem pretty generically scifi and rather grim(m) in tone, you kinda wonder if going that way is really the right approach.

Two very wise tweets from an industry friend of mine:

quote:
why so serious? If there's one property that needs to be more Guardians and less Nolanverse Batman, it's Fantastic Four.

And his other rather insightful post:

quote:
After this new Fantastic Four comes out there will still sadly only be one perfect FF movie. The Incredibles.
israeliag
AG
Whether I go and see it, it's an 8.5 on the 10 point scale, but I leave open the possibility things can change.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Whether I go and see it, it's an 8.5 on the 10 point scale, but I leave open the possibility things can change.
BEaggie08
AG
It looks a lot less campy than the previous FF movies. Looks like they're going for a gritty feel.

I think, if they can balance the grittiness with some well timed humor, and not take themselves too seriously, they can pull off a good reboot.

I like Miles Teller as Reed. Ioan Gruffudd just never worked for me.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Ok, after a few views I'm guessing they are pulling most of this from the Ultimates universe of the Fantastic Four, which is fine, I guess. The comic didn't do that well. I think Susan Storm is the adopted one though. It is shot really well, I'll give it that. I like the contrast in colors between the non-scientist (Johnny and Ben) and the scientist (Susan and Reed). We'll see.
COOL LASER FALCON
TC, so how's your confidence level for this making its theatrical debut with Kingsmen? You'd still consider that a win, right?
TCTTS
AG
^ Ha, yep. This still apparently won't be in theaters domestically until Kingsman releases. The only reason Fox released the trailer online this early is because Kingsman releases in the UK this week.
fig96
AG
Sidenote: Kingsmen looks potentially really fun.
TCTTS
AG
^ It's getting pretty good reviews so far.
PatAg
AG
Not saying that this will be any good, but I kinda feel like you guys may all be overreacting a bit.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Not saying that this will be any good, but I kinda feel like you guys may all be overreacting a bit.

I think we are just tired of reboots.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The sole purpose of this reboot is so that the rights aren't lost back to Marvel. It's not like the X-Men movies, where the previous films were successful enough to warrant further films (thereby keeping the rights from reverting back).

No one was clamoring for another Fox version of the FF. Comic fans would, however, love to see FF alongside the Avengers or at least sharing a universe (and villains). That kind of makes us more critical of this film than we should be. And this trailer doesn't really do much to make us feel better.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
why so serious? If there's one property that needs to be more Guardians and less Nolanverse Batman, it's Fantastic Four.
TajMaballer
AG
Pretty short, but still cool interviews with Simon Kinberg and Josh Trank about casting each role. Trank nails it on the head about Jordan being a guy who you want to hang out with and root for. I am getting pretty excited for this one. Curious to see how much more they show in the next trailer and what the reaction is to it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.