*** THE FANTASTIC FOUR ***

29,409 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
dfphotos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This movie is terribad. Absolutely awful. Worst movie I've seen this summer.
FaceMask
Redstone and 30_days, take your crap to the politics board.
fig96
AG
Box Office: 'Fantastic Four' Flops With $26.2M, Loses to 'Mission: Impossible
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
I wouldn't mind flopping with $26.3 million.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Thing is, that's kinda like saying you don't mind selling your house for 150k when you bought it for 600.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:

It was 120 million to make.
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
Even if it cost you $120M to "make" that $26.3M?

quote:
The $120 million film, starring Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara and Jamie Bell, will mark one of the worst debuts for a Marvel Comics film adaptation. In 2012, Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance, from Sony, launched to $22.1 million (that movie cost notably less to make).

In terms of a big-budget superhero movie, Marvel or otherwise, Fantastic Four did even less than 2011 flop The Green Hornet ($33.5 million).

Will it make all of the $120M back? Probably. But at a time when Marvel movies (even one as legitimately dumb as "Antman", which was about 10,000% better than this FF) are basically printing presses, this one found a way to fail horritastically.
TCTTS
AG
Haven't seen the movie yet (definitely not seeing it in theaters), but there are apparently a ton of shots/sequences from the trailers not in the final cut of the movie. This is crazy...

AgMarauder04
AG
That would piss me off almost more than anything else.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, I know. I would still like to have $26.2 million.
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then find someone that will give you $120million to make a sh/tty movie.

BOOM! Done!
Bruce Almighty
AG
I wonder if this will be like Daredevil where the Director's cut of the movie is much better than the theatrical release.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I wonder if this will be like Daredevil where the Director's cut of the movie is much better than the theatrical release.

Which is true of DD, btw.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

It wasn't going to get worse I do need to see that though.

The way things sound, however, I doubt Trank will get the chance.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then find someone that will give you $120million to make a sh/tty movie.

BOOM! Done!
That's what Kickstarter is for, right?
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The director's cut is actually rated R and while I wouldn't call it a great movie, it's pretty good.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The director's cut is actually rated R and while I wouldn't call it a great movie, it's pretty good.
Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor also has an R-rated Director's Cut that is far better than the PG-13 rated theatrical release
AliasMan02
AG
And it features Coolio.
YouBet
AG
Interesting. I'm not sure if I ever even saw the Affleck DD. I will check out this directors cut. However, I'm quite sure it can't compare to the excellent Netflix series of which I'm only 3 episodes in and totally bought in on.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It doesn't
AliasMan02
AG
Netflix > Movie DD, for sure. But, the director's cut really downplays Elektra, and has a whole subplot of Matt doing investigative work for a case.

It's not great, but better than the theatrical release by a lot.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Somehow, I don't think that the studio will be speaking with Trank ever again. And it's doubtful Trank will ever want to revisit this film ever again.

My best guess is that, come Monday morning, everyone associated with this film will be done discussing it and will instead be wanting to be talking about their next project.
ScottH_01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Even if it cost you $120M to "make" that $26.3M?

quote:
The $120 million film, starring Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara and Jamie Bell, will mark one of the worst debuts for a Marvel Comics film adaptation. In 2012, Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance, from Sony, launched to $22.1 million (that movie cost notably less to make).

In terms of a big-budget superhero movie, Marvel or otherwise, Fantastic Four did even less than 2011 flop The Green Hornet ($33.5 million).

Will it make all of the $120M back? Probably. But at a time when Marvel movies (even one as legitimately dumb as "Antman", which was about 10,000% better than this FF) are basically printing presses, this one found a way to fail horritastically.

Marvel Studios movies are printing presses, and they work HARD to make sure those movies are quality and understand the source material. Marvel Studios also has the benefit of having a singular set of stories to focus on.

Fox and Sony aren't in the business of understanding their movies' universes on such an intimate level, for any of their properties.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Heard today that the studio is ditching Fantastic Four 2 and green lighting Deadpool 2.
MGS
quote:
Heard today that the studio is ditching Fantastic Four 2 and green lighting Deadpool 2.
I'm pretty sure if they had sold tickets to last week's Deadpool trailer, it would have pulled in more than FF.
AliasMan02
AG
So, when Fox comes around and tries to reboot F4 again before losing the rights, will they be able to find anyone willing to direct it or star in it?
R0GUE
AG
If It turns out that Tranks original vision was, as rumored a "Cronenburg-style" body-horror film, I doubt it was really that much better than what we got. I really don't need to see the Marvel branded version of Human Centipede.
Saxsoon
AG
I don't know, I was pretty damn uncomfortable more than a few times throughout the movie
AboveAndBeyond
I'm telling you guys, it flopped for a reason. THEY ARE GOING TO FINALLY SELL THE F4 TO MARVEL!!

swimmerbabe11
I liked Daredevil AND Green Lantern...haven't ever been able to make it through a F4 film.

...and I enjoy the source material.
TexasAggie_02
AG
http://nerdapproved.com/features/fantastic-four-sucked/

• Eat the entire Fantastic Four Denny's menu.
  • Twice.
  • Attempt to drown yourself in "Thing Sauce."
  • Contact a Denny's executive and ask them why they would use the phrase "Thing Sauce" on their menu. They know how that sounds, right?
  • Spend several hours in the bathroom as a result of eating at Denny's.
  • Pen an angry letter to Denny's, vowing to only eat at IHOP for the rest of your days.
  • Pen an apologetic letter to Denny's, pitching them your idea of a theme menu tied to the filmography of Pedro Almodvar.
  • Stage a revolt at your local Denny's when they reject your Pedro Almodvar idea. Barricade the doors and throw strips of uncooked bacon at everyone who tries to get in.
  • Demand to see Denny. I WANT TO SEE DENNY.
  • Get arrested. Never love again.
  • fig96
    AG
    Thought I'd resurrect this as FF has been available to rent the last few weeks and I imagine several of us who skipped it in theaters have finally seen. I rented it last night and...yeah.

This is just a really odd film and the birth.movies.death. review was pretty spot on with the pacing/plot issues. For the first two acts I was interested in what was going on and curious to see what might happen, most of the characters were genuinely interesting though their relationships felt a bit underdeveloped. Von Doom had some promise but seemed underdeveloped as well, he apparently doesn't trust anyone and left the program after 10 years but we really never understand any of his character's motivation.

Then we get to the third act....

**SPOILERS FORTHCOMING**

At this point the film seems to decide it has to remind us it's based on a comic and we start going an entirely different direction.

Our heroes decide to do something dumb and go interdimensional on their own. Reed calls Ben, who we've seen nothing of for 45 minutes aside from a text or two, and invites him to come along but they don't bring Sue who's been part of this since the beginning. Um, ok.

They go to Planet Zero where they seem kind of aimless for a team of scientists, accidentally abandon Victor and acquire their powers with some sort of energy burst upon reentry. They awake to find they're becoming the subject of military experiments and Reed bails, leaving Ben to become a weapon and Johnny and Sue test subjects.

The idea of Reed on the run could've been interesting, and we get a quick glimpse into how he's hiding out that's a cool moment. Then Sue decides to help track him down because they need him to go back to Planet Zero, and the guy who's a genius and has evaded the military for a year leaves a dumb clue that lets her track him down. Um, ok.

He returns but rather than being a military prisoner is allowed to pretty much walk around the top secret experiment and fixes their issues in 10 minutes. The new team jumps to Planet Zero, and while testing runs across Victor and brings him back. Things are about to get silly.

Victor wakes up and decides he needs to kill everyone because he likes the other dimension better and Earth is broken. He wreaks havoc on the base then jets back to Planet Zero and whips together some kind of reactor/black hole that opens up between the two words and starts to suck the entire planet into it. Our heroes jump through the portal, realize they can't beat Doom individually, then the villain who can apparently manipulate pretty much everything gets beaten by a Sue-shielded Thing punch that knocks him the wrong way through the black hole.

The pacing for the third act is just a total WTF. It was reasonably interesting scifi for the first hour or so, then just goes straight comic book popcorn action for the last 30 minutes (and not in a good way) and we abandon anything we understood about this world for the first two thirds of the film.

Watching the film, I was thinking FF had been unfairly maligned and that I was actually going to enjoy it, then it takes a left turn and becomes an entirely different movie. You can see how the bones of an interesting movie might have been in there, but it's tough to know who to blame without understanding who made what calls during filming.
    rhutton125
    AG
    I had the opportunity to spend a few evenings in August volunteering at a summer camp for kids affected by HIV (a parent, etc.). Got to talking with one of the kids, around age 13, since he didn't want to zip line.

"You see any cool movies this summer?"
    "Umm... I saw Fantastic Four."
    "Oh yeah? What did you think?"
    "Umm........ It wasn't very good!"

If you can't even wow bored teens with your special effects or action sequences, something has gone very wrong.

I kind of wanted to see this movie someday, in a morbid way, but the Honest Trailers footage looked like all the worst things about the genre. "So what do we call ourselves? There's four of us, and um..."

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.