Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11-like Terrorist Attack

28,621 Views | 334 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by el aggie
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I can't help but think of how hilarious it would be in 50 years if students in history classes are learning about the North Korea crisis and there's an entire chapter on Rogen and Franco.

Textbook chapter 3 title: This is the End
Jacques
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-theater-owners-pull-interview-758444
Complete Idiot
They'll just keep threatening other Sony films and get what they want
The Debt
quote:
Why does The Debt think terrorist threats are so funny?

I don't think terrorism is funny. But some threats are fckin hilarious.

Just think about this for a sec, if you owned a billion dollar company and some group caused millions of dollars in losses, what would you do in retaliation? How far would you go? The entertainment industry has been all about shifting public perception since the 40s. They are integrated with people who buy ink by the barrel. They also thrive in victim-politics.

So there are dozens of things I would do, and rest assured turning the public against my enemies would be an integral part of the plan. Idgaf about any specific studio, but the moment I hear "terrorism" I think 9/11. If my enemies were perceived on the level as AQ or Hasan, Sony gets more sympathy, might even be a martyr.
TCTTS
AG
Sure, what you're stating is possible, but it's an insanely long leap to being absolutely certain that's what's actually happening. You've proven time and again that you know next to nothing about the specifics of the hack, yet you're beyond assured in your theory, and that's what's baffling to me. Not whether it's technically possible or not. There's also a chance we didn't land on the moon, or that 9/11 was a inside job, or that Kennedy was assassinated because he was about to tell the world aliens exist. "Convincing" arguments have been made for all of those conspiracy theories, so do you believe those as well just because they're technically possible? Because that's exactly what you're doing here. I'm not trying to compare the magnitude of any of those to the Sony hacks, obviously, but the point is still the same - which is that you sound like a paranoid lunatic who hasn't done an ounce of research on the matter yourself. Take off the tinfoil hat and try cutting back on the Glenn Beck for a while.
20ag07
quote:
Sony gets more sympathy, might even be a martyr.
You're really dumb. How does this help Sony? They want to make money. They make money by getting butts in chairs at The Interview. Now theatre chains are dropping the film. We are living in a post-Dark Knight Rises massacre world, and precaution makes sense. How does this help Sony? You think consumers are smart enough to know what films Sony makes, and that this "sympathetic portrayal" will drive people to their other movies? No. Almost no one knows what studio a film comes from unless that studio is Disney. A sympathetic portrayal helps them not at all.
TCTTS
AG
^ Such a great point. Sony is about to lose a sh*t ton of money on this movie. Carmike Cinemas, one of the biggest chains in the country, literally just dropped the movie outright. But hey, at least Sony gets some "sympathy" in return. I'm hearing they plan to fund at least a third of the next Spider-Man movie on sympathy alone...
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, this is what scares me the most...

Steven E. de Souza @StevenEdeSouza
If theaters blink on The Interview a precedent will be set for domestic nut jobs on films about abortion,sex,religion or politics #SonyHack

Some idiots disagree with a movie's subject matter, they're just going to start threatening to blow up the theaters playing it, now that a precedent has been set.
The Debt
When a theater gets attacked I will recant it all. Until then this smells like BS.

Also, controversy has made crappy films get extra attention and revenue. And no one I know was deterred by TDKR shooting, not even the older ladies.

Btw tc, it's a poor tactic to equate this circumstance to random conspiracies in order to discredit. Until this group actually executes these "attacks" it's in itself is conjecture, thus the response is subject to criticism and evaluating of sources. In all likelihood, if this is actually coming from the same group, the threat is the extent of their RL action.
TCTTS
AG
Whether or not this group actually follows through is irrelevant to the point being argued. It's that you immediately jumped to can't-be-convinced-otherwise conspiracy theory mode based on nothing more than an illinformed hunch.
Cancelled
AG
Meh. North Korea is hacking with their Commodore Amigas.
20ag07
quote:
When a theater gets attacked I will recant it all. Until then this smells like BS.
Solid plan for having logical discussion...but clearly that's not what you're here for.
quote:
Also, controversy has made crappy films get extra attention and revenue. And no one I know was deterred by TDKR shooting, not even the older ladies.
Where exactly are you placing the line on what is BS and what isn't? These exact same outlets have for weeks been running leaked emails that do major harm to the reputations of Sony execs and their business relationships. Is that part of the "BS" too? Did Sony throw a bunch of reputation and relationship capital points away for the box office gross of a relatively low budget R rated comedy film as part of a "conspiracy"? Or is it only when the term "terrorist" gets involved that you decided to venture over from the Politics board and start claiming "conspiracy"?
Short Round
I might red box this movie now.
The Debt
quote:
Whether or not this group actually follows through is irrelevant to the point being argued. It's that you immediately jumped to can't-be-convinced-otherwise conspiracy theory mode based on nothing more than an illinformed hunch.

Like the same group who hacked Sony is now moving into RL terrorism.

Cmon! "Oh the media got an email!! I guess it's time to close theater doors."
TMoney2007
AG
No one looks good in this argument.
TCTTS
AG
And... The Arclight just announced they won't be showing The Interview either. There's now a decent chance it straight up won't be released in theaters at all, which would be insane. If this keeps up, my guess is it goes straight to VOD eventually.

Again, it's not so much about this movie in particular - I won't be heartbroken if I can't see it in theaters - but this could very well set a precedent, and I hate to think of what that might do to the industry. Nothing even remotely controversial, no more "statement" movies, simply because these giant corporations and theater chains would be liable if any future whackjobs went through with their threats, which are sure to come again, sooner or later, now that they know they can actually have an impact.
TCTTS
AG
[Mystery Executive] @MysteryExec
If the Super Bowl is threatened does that get cancelled too?

Do we just have Amazon deliver groceries and hide in our homes?

Theater chains are already risk-averse. Do you know what this does?

This reinforces all the desire for safe bull****.

Enjoy Paul Blart 8.

When the Dark Knight Rises tragedy happened, they didn't pull the ****ing film. And they shouldn't have.

A film is a film.

Terror threats are ****ing serious business. Arrest and try those ****ers. ASAP.

A great early Christmas present would be the authorities carting off 10 pimple-faced fat ****s in handcuffs.
TCTTS
AG
Chris McCoy @thatthere
It's pathetic that we're backing down to these lunatics like this. So now fringe groups really, really get to dictate our lives. Disgusting.

Brett Hedblom @hedofthebloom
But more than anything I fear what this will do to future films that try to push boundaries.

Ryan Stewart @crsryan
If Sony has to eat this movie, the already unacceptable blandness levels of studio content will jump overnight.

Michael Botti @mbotti
Sad irony.

People don't want Hollywood to make the same safe movies.

Hollywood was just told to make the same safe movies.
VanZandt92
so tired of Rogen, or at least his characters.
Jacques
quote:
Honestly, this is what scares me the most...

Steven E. de Souza @StevenEdeSouza
If theaters blink on The Interview a precedent will be set for domestic nut jobs on films about abortion,sex,religion or politics #SonyHack

Some idiots disagree with a movie's subject matter, they're just going to start threatening to blow up the theaters playing it, now that a precedent has been set.
The people that would go for the heckler's veto first are kind of obvious.
Jacques
quote:
No one looks good in this argument.
I think everyone looks fine except for Debt.
Jacques
quote:
And... The Arclight just announced they won't be showing The Interview either. There's now a decent chance it straight up won't be released in theaters at all, which would be insane. If this keeps up, my guess is it goes straight to VOD eventually.

Again, it's not so much about this movie in particular - I won't be heartbroken if I can't see it in theaters - but this could very well set a precedent, and I hate to think of what that might do to the industry. Nothing even remotely controversial, no more "statement" movies, simply because these giant corporations and theater chains would be liable if any future whackjobs went through with their threats, which are sure to come again, sooner or later, now that they know they can actually have an impact.
Thing is, the hackers could claim they could reach data as to who downloads it as well. That's an empty threat, probably, but may still scare some people off downloading it.
TCTTS
AG
Very true.
TCTTS
AG
I also just want to be clear that I don't think these assh*les are even remotely capable of whatever it is they're claiming they'll do, when it comes to actually killing. I'm mainly just concerned that theater chains are actually giving them this power, and what that means going forward.
Jacques
quote:

Btw tc, it's a poor tactic to equate this circumstance to random conspiracies in order to discredit. Until this group actually executes these "attacks" it's in itself is conjecture, thus the response is subject to criticism and evaluating of sources. In all likelihood, if this is actually coming from the same group, the threat is the extent of their RL action.
What is it about this that is not already real life? This is a massive security breach. The private data that's been released is bad news. Already.

That coupled with this threat, however hollow, is crippling a major corporation.
Jacques
quote:
I also just want to be clear that I don't think these assh*les are even remotely capable of whatever it is they're claiming they'll do, when it comes to actually killing. I'm mainly just concerned that theater chains are actually giving them this power, and what that means going forward.
You can hardly blame them though. Violence or not, they could be the next targets of hacking.
TCTTS
AG
Another good point. It's just a crappy deal all around.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Landmark Theaters just pulled out as well. This movie isn't coming out in theaters, folks.
Jacques
Question: Have they hacked sony playstation data?
The Debt
quote:
quote:

What is it about this that is not already real life? This is a massive security breach. The private data that's been released is bad news. Already.

That coupled with this threat, however hollow, is crippling a major corporation.

internets isn't RL. If you have secrets it's best to keep them offline. Corporate espionage has existed for hundreds of years, Sony was just vulnerable to get hit.
Jacques
quote:
quote:
quote:

internets isn't RL. If you have secrets it's best to keep them offline. Corporate espionage has existed for hundreds of years, Sony was just vulnerable to get hit.
Yeah, when someone steals your identity and ****s up your credit make sure you tell everyone it's not real life.
TCTTS
AG
And with that, I'm officially done with The Debt. Dude's either trolling at this point, or completely delusional, to the point where he's not even worth engaging anymore.
TCTTS
AG
quote:

The PS servers were down for a bit around the same time as the hacks - and Sony didn't know why, apparently - but it doesn't look like any information was stolen. I think if it had been, a much bigger deal would have been made about it. For now, it sounds like the hacks have pertained only to Sony Pictures, though I could be wrong.
Jacques
quote:
quote:

The PS servers were down for a bit around the same time as the hacks - and Sony didn't know why, apparently - but it doesn't look like any information was stolen. I think if it had been, a much bigger deal would have been made about it. For now, it sounds like the hacks have pertained only to Sony Pictures, though I could be wrong.

Has to be a ton of data on those servers. Wonder if that's part of the Christmas present.
TCTTS
AG
New York Magazine / "Sony's Very, Very Expensive Hack"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.