Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11-like Terrorist Attack

28,641 Views | 334 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by el aggie
zgood10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
The movie WILL be released. Some how, some way. Just not right now. Sony's basically saying, "Give us a few while we get our sh*t together."
kim jong un could be very well die of old age before sony gets its sh*t together. on the bright side, we could finally see the movie then. nobody seemed to have a problem with hitler's demise in inglorious basterds
Well, Hitler had been dead for 64 years
was kinda my point...that it could be a really long time before sony gets their sh*t together
I gotcha
Malachi Constant
AG
Just read the whole thread.

Poor BillOnSpoilerHill aka 'The Debt'
jeffk
AG
If you give a communist regime-funded cyber terrorism unit a cookie...
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The Dallas/Ft Worth Alamo Drafthouse will show a free screening of Team America in place of The Interview: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/texas-theater-show-team-america-759037
GiveEmHellBill
AG
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/texas-theater-to-show-team-america-in-place-of-105491244997.html

The Alamo Drafthouse (of course) in DFW will be showing "Team America" for one free showing and will hand out American flags.

[edit] DAMMIT! Two minutes late!!!!

BTW, Team America is currently available to stream on Netflix.
Aggie_Journalist
jackie childs
Sony just needs to edit the movie one last time.

- change the film's setting to the completely fictitious country of "korth norea"
- change the name of the main antagonist from "kim jong un" to "wink wink", but maybe CGI an awesome moustache on him
- rename the film's international releases to "batman & robin and gigli on battlefield earth" to fly under the radar

then leave the rest of the movie as is and profit
cone
AG
if they took 100 TB as reported, there's no telling what sort of **** is in that cache
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
What is it about this that is not already real life? This is a massive security breach. The private data that's been released is bad news. Already.

That coupled with this threat, however hollow, is crippling a major corporation.
jackie childs
if obama had any stones, he'd request a copy from Sony and show it on one of those inflatable screens on the north lawn
cone
AG
http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/the-end-of-movies/?_r=0

quote:
But if you care about the movies, then what's happened to Seth Rogen and James Franco's comedy is also related to the depressing story that Harris has to tell. Not because a coarse comedy about two idiot celebrities assassinating the North Korean dictator represents some kind of brilliant alternative to the sameness of sequels, but because its fate will become (already has become, in fact) a cautionary tale in an industry that's already so risk-averse, so fearful of political controversy, so determined to make movies that sell equally well in every overseas market, that the North Koreans themselves were one the last available real-world villains for its blockbusters. So for studios already inclined to recycle comic book villains and reboot Reagan-era properties and resurrect Captain Jack Sparrow from here to eternity, the fate of Sony whose post-hack problems go well beyond the lost revenue from "The Interview" will offer just one more reason to stick with the tentpoles, one more reason to play it safe with superheroes, one more reason to pause before greenlighting an original story and say, "okay, but maybe if the villains were neo-Nazis instead?" (And that's just until the neo-Nazis find a hacker of their own )
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
So a bunch of computer nerds hack into Sony and release emails and they are capable of launching 9/11 terrorist attacks? I don't see it.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
"The Interview" will offer just one more reason to stick with the tentpoles, one more reason to play it safe with superheroes, one more reason to pause before greenlighting an original story and say, "okay, but maybe if the villains were neo-Nazis instead?" (And that's just until the neo-Nazis find a hacker of their own )

Didn't they already do this with "The Sum of All Fears?" I never read the book, but I seem to remember a lot of talk radio hate b/c they changed the villians from Muslims to domestic neo-nazis
TexasAggie_02
AG
the death scene:

Spoilers: he dies

http://dailycaller.com/2014/12/18/leaked-kim-jong-un-death-scene-from-the-interview-video/
Bunk Moreland
IIRC, that was the death scene they pulled from the film originally. They still filmed a different death scene, because Rogen said no matter what, he's dying at the end.
Fenrir
Judd Apatow:
quote:
We also don't know that it isn't a disgruntled employee or a hacker. Do we think North Korea has troops on the ground in the US? Ridiculous
Does this make sense to anybody? These points don't seem related at all.
TexasAggie_02
AG
has Iran been ruled out? They are probably still ticked about the virus we put in their centrifuges. They could be helping North Korea
swimmerbabe11
quote:
quote:
It's times like these I'm glad I'm not in charge of anything important like that.

I would pull some childish crap like dropping naked pictures of Kim Jong Un all over the country along with cell phones with instructions and Internet capability.
Not quite your idea but there's an existing playbook for this. This article came out yesterday and is about activists in South Korea who float balloons with all sorts of stuff (dvds, leaflets, radios) from the outside world over North Korea, which have an acid-based timer to pop them and fall to the countryside.

Sony Hack: Activists to Drop 'Interview' DVDs Over North Korea Via Balloon

quote:
"I realized that Titanic showed me a human story about love, beauty, humanity it gave me a taste of freedom," she said in Oslo. "A man willing to die for a woman it changed my thinking. It changed the way I saw the regime and the endless propaganda. Titanic made me realize that I was controlled by the regime."

It's good stuff.

That's one of the most romantic things I've heard. I don't even like that movie, but I can only imagine seeing something like that with no other context but what they have heard all their lives. Insane.

(to clarify, I don't mean romantic in lovey type way, but in the traditional literature type way)
TCTTS
AG
jackie childs
genius
swimmerbabe11
Is there any worry for the safety of the guy who played Kim in the movie? That has to be a concern right?

Also, compiled celebrity tweets:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/celebrities-react-the-interview-canceled_n_6344232.html
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Is there any worry for the safety of the guy who played Kim in the movie? That has to be a concern right?

If it was any other country, yeah, potentially. But it's North Korea. They're beyond incapable of pulling off any kind of physical, domestic violence.
Sex Panther
AG
North Korea can't do sh/t. It's not like Islam where they have radicals all over the place willing to die for Glorious Leader.

I really hope that South Park decides to do a special episode next week even though their season is on hiatus. I hope they take shots at both North Korea and Sony... then mail copies directly to the North Korean governement complete with autographed photos of Matt and Trey along with their return addresses highlighted. I wouldn't be surprised since they actually have balls.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
has Iran been ruled out? They are probably still ticked about the virus we put in their centrifuges. They could be helping North Korea
More than likely they received assistance from China. Especially since Sony is a Japanese Company and China could get its hand on corporate intelligence while nK got the blackmail material.

Essentially, north Korea is like the real housewives of northeast Asia. They can't really do much but they can also go to China to get help, if it gains China something.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
So a bunch of computer nerds hack into Sony and release emails and they are capable of launching 9/11 terrorist attacks? I don't see it.
Actually, hackers could cause some major issues for the US. They certainly can't crash an airplane into a building but there are numerous SCADA systems in America that are unprotected from cyber threats. or, the hackers could reach out to the CONFICKER owners, lease a portion of their computers and overload a number of servers that control anything from financial centers to sewage treatment plants.

Imagine what would happen if all of the sewage treatment plants were shut down in, say, New York City? Or if a portion of the Air Traffic Control System was taken down via cyber attack. The hackers could cause quite a bit of damage. Physically it wouldn't match the loss of 9/11 but psychologically it would likely surpass it.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:
Actually, hackers could cause some major issues for the US. They certainly can't crash an airplane into a building but there are numerous SCADA systems in America that are unprotected from cyber threats. or, the hackers could reach out to the CONFICKER owners, lease a portion of their computers and overload a number of servers that control anything from financial centers to sewage treatment plants.

Imagine what would happen if all of the sewage treatment plants were shut down in, say, New York City? Or if a portion of the Air Traffic Control System was taken down via cyber attack. The hackers could cause quite a bit of damage. Physically it wouldn't match the loss of 9/11 but psychologically it would likely surpass it.
If that happened, the ramifications would be immediate and very harsh for the state-sponsored entity that did this. That would be a direct act of war and not something the US president or congress would just accept. It is one thing to do that if you are just a collective of nerds dumping Sony's intellectual property, but quite another to destroy infrastructure with the purpose of killing Americans. Again, if that scenario played out with North Korea, they would get the worst of it in the end.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

If that happened, the ramifications would be immediate and very harsh for the state-sponsored entity that did this. That would be a direct act of war and not something the US president or congress would just accept. It is one thing to do that if you are just a collective of nerds dumping Sony's intellectual property, but quite another to destroy infrastructure with the purpose of killing Americans. Again, if that scenario played out with North Korea, they would get the worst of it in the end.
That makes the assumption that you would be able to publicly pin it to a nation-state actor.

US agencies could certainly determine who did it, but, publicizing that knowledge would give away our tactics, techniques and procedures used to hack into their networks.

The question then becomes, is it worth more to pin a cyber attack on a country or to retaliate in kind, with neither side being able to publicly place blame on each other.
cone
AG
quote:
to retaliate in kind
how is that possible?
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That makes the assumption that you would be able to publicly pin it to a nation-state actor.

US agencies could certainly determine who did it, but, publicizing that knowledge would give away our tactics, techniques and procedures used to hack into their networks.

The question then becomes, is it worth more to pin a cyber attack on a country or to retaliate in kind, with neither side being able to publicly place blame on each other.
Yes, it does. And this assumption is supported by the very event which started this discussion. We were able to "pin it" on North Korea.

You are referring to a "cyber attack" in the vain of the Sony hack. In that scenario, then yes it wouldn't make sense to escalate the situation over an attack on on private industry. However, your scenario about air-traffic controllers and infrastructure, which was the entire subject of my post, is not just a "cyber attack" but rather an act of war by one state upon another. Apples and oranges.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
to retaliate in kind
how is that possible?
In what respect?

There are numerous ways we could cause north Korea a similar level (in their perspective) of harm that they could try to do to us.

For starters, taking down their first levels of defense across the DMZ. To affect change in north Korea you make their leadership vulnerable, , you don't kill their people.
cone
AG
quote:
For starters, taking down their first levels of defense across the DMZ.
that's probably going to piss off the Chinese
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, it does. And this assumption is supported by the very event which started this discussion. We were able to "pin it" on North Korea.

You are referring to a "cyber attack" in the vain of the Sony hack. In that scenario, then yes it wouldn't make sense to escalate the situation over an attack on on private industry. However, your scenario about air-traffic controllers and infrastructure, which was the entire subject of my post, is not just a "cyber attack" but rather an act of war by one state upon another. Apples and oranges.
EDIT- I was responding to their threats of causing another 9/11

I was also pointing out how easy it is to hack into SCADA systems (and similar infrastructure) in the US.

Do you think local SCADA systems are protected by massive firewalls and monitoring centers? They aren't

This article is from 2013:

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240207488/US-researchers-find-25-security-vulnerabilities-in-SCADA-systems

Not much has changed in its regard. It is much easier to cause an attack on US infrastructure than most folks realize.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
For starters, taking down their first levels of defense across the DMZ.
that's probably going to piss off the Chinese
And?

The Chinese have been keeping nK at arms length recently and if nK does something stupid than China won't care until military forces cross the border.

China's main concerns with a north Korean war are:

a.) refugees
b.) Loose nuclear material
c.) a US/allied base right next to the Yalu river

They don't care that much about scaring the sheet out of KJU.
cone
AG
to build on that point:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world/asia/us-links-north-korea-to-sony-hacking.html?smid=tw-nytimesworld&_r=0

quote:
It is not clear how the United States determined that Mr. Kim's government had played a central role in the Sony attacks. North Korea's computer network has been notoriously difficult to infiltrate. But the National Security Agency began a major effort four years ago to penetrate the country's computer operations, including its elite cyberteam, and to establish "implants" in the country's networks that, like a radar system, would monitor the development of malware transmitted from the country.

It is hardly a foolproof system. Much of North Korea's hacking is done from China. And while the attack on Sony used some commonly available cybertools, one intelligence official said, "this was of a sophistication that a year ago we would have said was beyond the North's capabilities."
so yeah, let's retaliate
cone
AG
quote:
The Chinese have been keeping nK at arms length recently and if nK does something stupid than China won't care until military forces cross the border.
so you're saying the Chinese won't care if America attacks NK (to destroy their defense infrastructure) so long as no boots hit the ground

OK

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.