Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11-like Terrorist Attack

28,643 Views | 334 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by el aggie
Wade_3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
to build on that point:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world/asia/us-links-north-korea-to-sony-hacking.html?smid=tw-nytimesworld&_r=0

quote:
It is not clear how the United States determined that Mr. Kim's government had played a central role in the Sony attacks. North Korea's computer network has been notoriously difficult to infiltrate. But the National Security Agency began a major effort four years ago to penetrate the country's computer operations, including its elite cyberteam, and to establish "implants" in the country's networks that, like a radar system, would monitor the development of malware transmitted from the country.

It is hardly a foolproof system. Much of North Korea's hacking is done from China. And while the attack on Sony used some commonly available cybertools, one intelligence official said, "this was of a sophistication that a year ago we would have said was beyond the North's capabilities."
so yeah, let's retaliate
I would bet even money that we are retaliating and it will be non-attributable to the US (and not made public).

That's how we normally role when it comes to cyber ops. China is good at cyber ops but they aren't as stealthy as the US is.

There will likely be some diplomatic hemming and hawing but the real action will betaking place behind closed doors in a way that can't be pinned on the US.
cone
AG
quote:
There will likely be some diplomatic hemming and hawing but the real action will betaking place behind closed doors in a way that can't be pinned on the US.
they should make a movie about this

oh wait. nevermind.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:
The Chinese have been keeping nK at arms length recently and if nK does something stupid than China won't care until military forces cross the border.
so you're saying the Chinese won't care if America attacks NK (to destroy their defense infrastructure) so long as no boots hit the ground

OK
Are you being willfully obtuse? Or do you just not understand what I have been saying?

The US conducts cyber activities so that they can't be attributed to us. Look at Stuxnet. When it hit Iran everybody thought it was the US (and Israel and maybe Germany) that did it...but nobody could prove it.

The Chinese can care all they want, but if they can't prove it, they won't do anything overt. They know the rules of the game.
LawAg05
AG
People are just talking past each other now. This is why I can't stand the politics board.

In a Sony hack scenario, we don't retaliate. In an attack on US infrastructure, Air-traffic control systems, etc., the same rules do not apply. This is the only point I have made in the last few posts and continue to make now.

How adequate are our current cyber defenses; the efficacy of SCADA systems; China's conerns about refugee's, nukes, etc --> these are all irrelevant to my point. A cyber attack of the kind you are referring to is an act of war which is completely different than the Sony attack.
cone
AG
quote:
Are you being willfully obtuse? Or do you just not understand what I have been saying?
probably the latter, you should extend this statement:

quote:
For starters, taking down their first levels of defense across the DMZ.
to explain what exactly you mean. i'm probably misunderstanding.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
People are just talking past each other now. This is why I can't stand the politics board.

In a Sony hack scenario, we don't retaliate. In an attack on US infrastructure, Air-traffic control systems, etc., the same rules do not apply. This is the only point I have made in the last few posts and continue to make now.

How adequate are our current cyber defenses; the efficacy of SCADA systems; China's conerns about refugee's, nukes, etc --> these are all irrelevant to my point. A cyber attack of the kind you are referring to is an act of war which is completely different than the Sony attack
Yea, I agree with that.

Again, I was referring to their claims of causing another 9/11 9and how they could easily do it with basic computer/hacking knowledge). The US shouldn't retaliate over nK hacking a private corporation.
cone
AG
quote:
In a Sony hack scenario, we don't retaliate.
what if it was a Sony hack scenario involving a presidential political campaign?

the NorKos seek to start influencing our political process via similar info blackmail
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:
In a Sony hack scenario, we don't retaliate.
what if it was a Sony hack scenario involving a presidential political campaign?

the NorKos seek to start influencing our political process via similar info blackmail
Unnecessary. Why hack something when you can just as easily buy influence with money and a super-PAC? Regardless, influencing a political campaign isn't an act of war.
jackie childs
take it to the "not-entertainment" boards
Professor
Sony was in a no-win situation...if they release the movie and there are terroristic events, they get sued, if they release the movie and revenue is down because of people avoiding theaters alltogether, they get sued. Heck, they are getting sued now for stuff already released, and will get more lawsuits piled on them for future release of info.

What would you have them do?

I for one, am ok for the world to miss this movie at the theaters. When we figure out who did what and when, and how to prevent it in the future, they can release it and 10X more people will go to see it to defy the terrorists and for curiousity.

There is no way to address this hack that will please and protect everyone.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Is there any worry for the safety of the guy who played Kim in the movie? That has to be a concern right?
"No no. You have the wrong man. The actor who played Kim Jong Un in "The Interview" has a scar on his face. I am no scar.........................dot com."
zgood10
AG
http://deadline.com/2014/12/paramount-cancel-team-america-1201329597/

Are you kidding me
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Wow. That's really, really dumb.
cone
AG
quote:
Why hack something when you can just as easily buy influence with money and a super-PAC?
it's cheaper?
cone
AG
quote:
Sony was in a no-win situation...if they release the movie and there are terroristic events, they get sued
i think we've identified the root cause here
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
http://deadline.com/2014/12/paramount-cancel-team-america-1201329597/

Are you kidding me

What a joke
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Sony was in a no-win situation...if they release the movie and there are terroristic events, they get sued
i think we've identified the root cause here

I said it earlier, but I'll say it again... neither Sony nor the theater chains actually think we'll be attacked physically. This isn't about safety or even the potential of getting sued. The ONLY reason the theaters balked is because of Average-Joe-Mouth-Breather, who DOES think a North Korean terrorist attack is possible. And if Average-Joe-Mouth-Breather thinks an attack could happen, he and his family don't show up for any movies over the holidays, which is traditionally one of the busiest theater-going times of the year. So the theaters pulled The Interview only to ensure they could still do big business over the holiday. That's it and that's all. And then once all the theaters started doing that, Sony ultimately pulled the movie for insurance purposes. A total write-off is required to qualify for an insurance claim, which means not releasing the movie AT ALL, in any way, shape, or form. That said, I'm sure there's some kind of loophole down the line, and this movie will eventually see the light of day, but it won't be anytime soon.
Texaggie7nine
So we should use Joe mouth breather against Sony and rally them all to boycott Sony products until they release the movie worldwide.
7nine
cone
AG
quote:
And if Average-Joe-Mouth-Breather thinks an attack could happen, he and his family don't show up for any movies over the holidays, which is traditionally one of the busiest theater-going times of the year.
so that's why Paramount is pulling Team America? to save Christmas?
TCTTS
AG
^ In Paramont's case, I'm assuming they're covering their asses, not wanting to be next on North Korea's hack list. I don't like it (at all), but I guess I understand it.
Sex Panther
AG
So surely South Park goes all out for this one now right?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, they have to. It's almost their duty at this point.
cone
AG
quote:
In Paramont's case, I'm assuming they're covering their asses, not wanting to be next on North Korea's hack list. I don't like it (at all), but I guess I understand it.
so... we're going to memory hole Team America?

is South Park going to get gagged and not allowed to address it?

where does it end?
cone
AG
quote:
Ha, they have to. It's almost their duty at this point.
what if viacom gets threatened?
Bunk Moreland
This entire hack business is clearly all a PR stunt by Parker and Stone to be able to create a special episode of their show in an attempt to break the all time cable ratings record.

/The Debt
TCTTS
AG
New company logos...

20ag07
quote:
Sony is looking at a write-down comprised of the following:
-A production budget of about $45 million;
-A domestic marketing budget of $35 million;
-An overseas marketing budget estimated between $10 million to $12 million.

The studio had penciled in expected domestic grosses of $80 million for "The Interview," and $130 million worldwide.

"this could have been the biggest VOD title in history," said an executive at a rival film company, who estimated it might have doubled the $8 million-$10 million that recent on-demand hits like "Snowpiercer" and "Margin Call" took in.
TCTTS
AG
Say what you will about Clooney's politics, but he is SPOT ON in this interview with Deadline. I love hearing someone from Hollywood respond like this...

http://deadline.com/2014/12/george-clooney-sony-hollywood-cowardice-north-korea-cyberattack-petition-1201329988/
cone
AG
are we going to hear the word "courageous" at this year's Oscars?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
are we going to hear the word "courageous" at this year's Oscars?

Yeah, the Oscars are going to be especially insufferable this year.
Texaggie7nine
Clooney makes good Tequila too.
7nine
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
CLOONEY: Here's the brilliant thing they did. You embarrass them first, so that no one gets on your side. After the Obama joke, no one was going to get on the side of Amy, and so suddenly, everyone ran for the hills. Look, I can't make an excuse for that joke, it is what it is, a terrible mistake. Having said that, it was used as a weapon of fear, not only for everyone to disassociate themselves from Amy but also to feel the fear themselves. They know what they themselves have written in their emails, and they're afraid.

Kinda like releasing secret conversations of nba owners? No other nba would stand up for their rights for fear of being associated with what was said.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's my question. Why is nobody criticizing the american new outlets and journalists who have publicly released the stolen data they received from the hackers? They have no right to make public any of this stolen information, and doing so just for more clicks is pretty reprehensible.
reb,
AG
if you want to whine about that just look for aaron sorkin's recent thoughts on the matter. there has been LOADS of that going on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How is that whining?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.